Forums

Topic: What is Retro Studios REALLY up to?

Posts 161 to 180 of 244

iKhan

At this point, I'm doubtful that it's Metroid.

Given the rumors about David Wise working on a game for Nintendo I see two possibilities.

1. DKC3
2. A new 3D DK game.

The latter would be far better, as we don't need more talent wasting the Wii U's capabilities with a 2D Platformer.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

UGXwolf

@iKhan: You call it wasted talent. I call it perfecting the formula that was so aggravatingly messed up in DKCR.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

IceClimbers

@UGXwolf: Is Tropical Freeze that good? Haven't actually gotten around to that game yet.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

At this point, I'm doubtful that it's Metroid.

Given the rumors about David Wise working on a game for Nintendo I see two possibilities.

1. DKC3
2. A new 3D DK game.

The latter would be far better, as we don't need more talent wasting the Wii U's capabilities with a 2D Platformer.

As long as it's not just DKCR in 3D, because then you're not really changing the gameplay. There needs to be actual new mechanics for it to be worthwhile.

I'd like a 3D DK game that works more like a beat em up/platformer (or action platformer to make UGXWolf happy) similar to God of War, the Werehog, or Knack. That's a genre that Nintendo hasn't really done before and it fits DK to a T. Plus DK's gameplay could stand to be a bit more physical anyway, we haven't really seen that side of him play out as well in the gameplay.

UGXwolf wrote:

@iKhan: You call it wasted talent. I call it perfecting the formula that was so aggravatingly messed up in DKCR.

The DK formula doesn't need to be "perfected". That's just playing catch up and doesn't justify a new game. They need to add onto the formula and do new things with it.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Blast

It's either a 2D Metroid for Wii U or just another Donkey Kong game. Most likely.... Another Donkey Kong game.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

UGXwolf

@IceClimbers: From what I've played and seen from others, it depends on what you're looking for. If you, like Bolt, enigmatically want in to be different from DKC and yet not at the same time, then no. It's horrible! If you want something that's harder than DKCR, this one's not the one for you. (Of course, DKCR had a lot of 1-hit kills in it, which is why I considered it more frustrating than difficult.) However, the level design, mechanics, controls, art direction/graphic design, and ESPECIALLY sound design all outrank DKCR with ease. From my perspective, DKCTF is the best 2D Platformer ever, but then I'm a sucker for an amazing soundtrack, so take that last bit with a grain of salt.

UGXwolf

@Bolt_Strike: You know, the only reason you've ever given as to why you think it's "playing catch up" is because they added underwater levels, but the underwater mechanics aren't just a rehash of those from DKC. They're actually their own kind of thing with far different controls, mechanics, physics and challenges involved. This is what I'm talking about when I say that you not having played the game really hurts any credibility your opinion might've had.

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

@Bolt_Strike: You know, the only reason you've ever given as to why you think it's "playing catch up" is because they added underwater levels, but the underwater mechanics aren't just a rehash of those from DKC. They're actually their own kind of thing with far different controls, mechanics, physics and challenges involved. This is what I'm talking about when I say that you not having played the game really hurts any credibility your opinion might've had.

First of all, I get that they're not exactly the same, so that has nothing to do with not playing the game. That still doesn't provide a different experience though because it's still swimming either way, the addition of an air gauge isn't exactly a huge change.

And it's not just swimming. The throwing mechanics and playable Dixie are also the game playing catch up (and even then, it's still not 100% caught up. Where are the Not Rambi Animal Buddies and the ability to play as other characters that aren't DK independently?).

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Octane

@IceClimbers: It's one of the best 2D platformers in my opinion. Everything from the difficulty, to the controls and the soundtrack are all amazing. I really liked Donkey Kong Country: Returns when that game came out, but Tropical Freeze managed to outdo that game in every aspect. Granted, Returns had some weaker points, like the blowing mechanic, which I wasn't a big fan of.

@Bolt_Strike: I'm glad Tropical Freeze hasn't ''caught up'' yet. People always expect games to do more than the previous entries, instead of something different. That's why I'm completely fine when a game ditches older mechanics in favour of new ones. Take Pikmin 3 for example, they could've continued what they started in Pikmin 2; the cave system and purple and white Pikmin. They didn't, and Pikmin 3 is now it's own game instead of ''Pikmin 2 + more''.

Octane

iKhan

UGXwolf wrote:

You call it wasted talent. I call it perfecting the formula that was so aggravatingly messed up in DKCR.

I didn't call it wasting talent. I said it's wasting the Wii U's capabilities. I understand that there isn't really an upper limit on talent. Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Koizumi could make a 2D Platformer, and it would be the greatest 2D platformer ever created.

But the ability of powerful hardware to contribute to 2D Platformers in anything beyond pure visual appeal stopped in the 5th or 6th generation. As a firm believer in gameplay over graphics, I consider having Retro work on another Wii U 2D Platformer to be wasting the platform's abilities.

I have no problem with them continuing the series, but they should do it on 3DS.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

jump

I see it as a waste for so many Ninty games to be 2d platformers in general, they are now even turning 3D game series like Chibi Robo into 2d platformers.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

UGXwolf

@Bolt_Strike: Yes, all swimming is just the same and all swimming is really just swimming. That's why swimming in DKC, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, and DKCTF are all exactly the same. All of them. Because it's still swimming. Never mind that in half of these, if you stay underwater too long, you die. Never mind that you have to put some thought towards finding and utilizing air bubbles, rather than just exploring to your heart's content. Never mind that in one of these, you have a dash attack that allows you to actually do more underwater, which is why Enguarde isn't in the game because he doesn't serve any real purpose. Never mind that in one of these, surfacing refills your health meter. Never mind that in one of these, you're constantly moving down and have to use the jump button to move up, while in the rest, if you do nothing, you just float in place. It's all completely the same and anyone who doesn't agree is completely blind. [/sarcasm]

And playable Dixie is nothing like DKC2 playable Dixie, nor does that count as playing catch up. I'm sorry, the throwing mechanics? I don't recall throwing barrels ever NOT being in DK Unless we're talking about something else, in which case, you have thoroughly lost me. And you CAN play as other characters than DK independently either by play in 2-player or playing on Hard Mode. The funny thing about that is, in the old DKC series, it rarely made a major difference who you played as. Diddy was faster. DK was stronger. You hardly ever noticed one of these two. Sure, Dixie had the hair twirl and Diddy had nothing. And again in DKC3 with Dixie and Kiddie. The problem the original three had was that there was NO REASON to play as one of the two, if you could avoid it. DKC speedruns consist of using Diddy for the whole game and only using DK to damage boost because you don't wanna lose Diddy. Even new players realize DK's worthless in that game. On top of that, they also added Cranky, a mechanic where you grab onto and ride down vines, plenty of tools to help new or less-skillful players reach the end, a ton of mechanics to facilitate speed runs in time trials, secret exits (some of which require you to be using a specific character) and the simple fact that your choice of buddy makes a very big difference in how you go about playing the level. [sarcasm again] Yup! TOTALLY didn't add anything new! DEFINITELY just playing catch up with the old games, as opposed to bringing back ideas from said old games as a method of adding new things their previous game didn't have.[/sarcasm]

UGXwolf

@arronishere: That is a fair point. I will, however, say that 2D Platformers are what Nintendo does best. It's not exactly surprising for that to be their panic reaction: make a bunch of 2D Platformers.

veeflames

^Which doesn't necessarily translate to New Super Mario Bros. U being the best game on Wii U...

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

jump

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

^Which doesn't necessarily translate to New Super Mario Bros. U being the best game on Wii U...

Of course not, it's Zelda Ocarina Of Time on the vc!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

iKhan

UGXwolf wrote:

That is a fair point. I will, however, say that 2D Platformers are what Nintendo does best. It's not exactly surprising for that to be their panic reaction: make a bunch of 2D Platformers.

As someone who started in the N64 era and owned exclusively Nintendo consoles, I could probably count the number of 2D platformers I had played until the late Wii era on one hand.

2D Platformers were Nintendo's thing in the NES and SNES eras. Then they moved onto 3D. Somehow, they have managed to regress backwards in the past 5 years even though technology has far more potential.

UGXwolf

@iKhan: just because they stopped making ten 2D Platformers a year does nit mean that's not still the genre they do best. NSMB is a case of bringing the idea back and givingit to a newer team as a method of getting them on a safe project to learn the ropes. Naturally, this doesn't make the staleness ok, but when Nintendo took the reigns off that team, we got Splatoon... I feel like my point keeps changing...

Whatever. I think what I'm trying to say is that 2D Platformers are what Ninty is most comfortable with and what they default to when all else fails.

Octane

@UGXwolf: Yeah, obviously sarcasm. But just to point out that you can call every game a rehash if you want to.

Octane

TuVictus

Octane wrote:

@Bolt_Strike: I'm glad Tropical Freeze hasn't ''caught up'' yet. People always expect games to do more than the previous entries, instead of something different. That's why I'm completely fine when a game ditches older mechanics in favour of new ones. Take Pikmin 3 for example, they could've continued what they started in Pikmin 2; the cave system and purple and white Pikmin. They didn't, and Pikmin 3 is now it's own game instead of ''Pikmin 2 + more''.

Well yeah, because Pikmin 3 is actually just Pikmin 1+ more. It's based around a time limit (though a very generous one unlike the first game). Pikmin 2 was a pretty easy game if you were careful enough. You could go through entire caves without losing any pikmin, and the monsters in general were quicker to kill. Not to mention the two sprays that pretty much broke the game.

Pikmin 1 and 3 are more unforgiving with how easy it is to lose pikmin. The enemies are tougher and bigger in those games. Personally, I hope Pikmin 4 follows Pikmin 2. The cave system was amazing. It was awesome to go through the gauntlets without needing to worry about time. Not to mention the treasures were always so much more fun than just finding fruit.

TuVictus

UGXwolf

@Operative: *If there even IS a Pikmin 4

Pikmin strikes me as a Mother situation. Miyamoto won't sequelize it just because. He needs to see something he wants to use for an RTS before he starts on a new one.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.