Forums

Topic: What is Retro Studios REALLY up to?

Posts 121 to 140 of 244

MikeLove

Guitardude7 wrote:

Realistically, it's probably a new Metroid. In my dreams however, it's a new Star Fox, F-Zero or even Banjo Kazooie

Rare/Microsoft own Banjo Kazooie.

MikeLove

LzWinky

Jazzer94 wrote:

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

A LOT of people ask for new IPs, but W101's sales tell Nintendo not to invest in new IPs. Just sayin', lol (I bought W101 day-one and loved it, though it admittedly takes time to get the hang of!)

W101 is a typical Platinum game in terms of craziness and they never seem to sell or go past niche status that is why a new ip has to be done correctly.

And...how is a new IP done correctly?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

Guitardude7 wrote:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

Realistically, it's probably a new Metroid. In my dreams however, it's a new Star Fox, F-Zero or even Banjo Kazooie

There was a rumor that Nintendo was in talks with Rare to buy back Banjo Kazooie. It's not probable but it is possible.

Rumors don't make ANYTHING any more credible. I can start a rumor that Nintendo will buy Sony, but that doesn't make it any more true...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

Unca_Lz wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

A LOT of people ask for new IPs, but W101's sales tell Nintendo not to invest in new IPs. Just sayin', lol (I bought W101 day-one and loved it, though it admittedly takes time to get the hang of!)

W101 is a typical Platinum game in terms of craziness and they never seem to sell or go past niche status that is why a new ip has to be done correctly.

I'm going to assume he means a mass-market game with a bajillion dollars of advertising put behind it like Destiny and Titanfall...which kind of misses the point of having Platinum onboard. With a better demo/tutorial, W101 could've been a game that sold well enough on word of mouth alone. I mean look at Dark Souls. That didn't have a huge marketing push, but it sold well based on the legacy of the developer and the fact that it's a really good game that appeals a certain group of people. Same with Monster Hunter outside Japan. It'll be more about the longtime sales, sure, but at least it'll sell. Nintendo doesn't need to sell gangbusters, they just need to make money. If they can appeal to a niche audience and still do that, that's fine. Wonderful 101's problem is just that it's not getting enough attention even within the gaming community. I have a feeling Bayonetta 2 will fair better, so long as they play their cards right.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Jazzer94

Unca_Lz wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

Analyzing market trends seeing whats popular, whats making a comeback and developing your own take on it would be how I would tackle making a new ip and try to actually market the thing.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

MikeLove

Guitardude7 wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Guitardude7 wrote:

There was a rumor that Nintendo was in talks with Rare to buy back Banjo Kazooie. It's not probable but it is possible.

Rumors don't make ANYTHING any more credible. I can start a rumor that Nintendo will buy Sony, but that doesn't make it any more true...

If rumors have not been officially disproven then they are indeed credible. Even Nintendo Life reported on it. Unless someone comes straight out and says it's not true, then there's always a possibility.

I have yet to hear from an offical source that Nintendo isn't buying Sony, so at this time, I'm going to have to trust @Unca_Lz on this one

MikeLove

sinalefa

Jazzer94 wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

Analyzing market trends seeing whats popular, whats making a comeback and developing your own take on it would be how I would tackle making a new ip and try to actually market the thing.

So is that the reason why most new IPs now are gritty, violent shooters with tons of cutscenes?

I wish there were more new IPs like W101. Colorful, deep, varied, original and with a sense of humour, that even when showing over the top, epic boss battles, there will be a joke here and there to remind you that it is a game. I kid you not, after I played it (yesterday I finally beat it on 101% Hard) I went and bought all Platinum games. They may not make games that sell (even in their Clover Studios days) but they do make awesome games.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

CanisWolfred

Guitardude7 wrote:

@JohnRedcorn Your...comment....didn't even make any sense. That has nothing to do with the rumor that I was talking about.

He's applying your "logic" to another rumor. Now you're saying your logic doesn't work for that rumor because it's not this rumor. What makes your rumor any more credible?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

MikeLove

Guitardude7 wrote:

@CanisWolfred Maybe because it's an actual rumor that holds a little weight? The "example" he was using didn't make any sense because it doesn't exist. The rumor with Banjo Kazooie however actually exists and was reported by several news outlets. It holds weight. And also, can I just remind you I'm not even saying this is something that's going to happen, in fact I said its not even probable.

Also, since when is the Nintendolife Community such jerks? You have a right to disagree with my opinion but I would appreciate not being talked down to like a 5 year old. Be a little nicer next time would ya?

Where is the "weight" coming from that supports the rumor that Nintendo is buying Banjo Kazooie back from Microsoft? Can you provide me one credible "source" that isn't an annoymous forum post? Or a throwaway article on a blog that reports on it, but doesn't have any evidence of their own either?

I did a bit of serching on Google and the "rumor" dates back to 2012, and in some cases mentions that Retro was currently working on a Banjo game at that time (while Nintendo negotiated the rights back) which we now know today is completely false. Not to mention, why would Microsoft do Nintendo a favor anyway and sell them back major Rare IP's? It doesn't make sense at all.

I wish it would happen, as Banjo Kazooie is one of my favourite games of all time, but I don't even believe for one second that Nintendo is close to owning it again.

MikeLove

KoopaTrooper

I think it will be a original IP. They've earned the right to roll the dice with a new IP.

KoopaTrooper

WebHead

He could just be playing coy, but that statement tells me their current project isn't Metroid...which I am semi-happy about. Let someone else make a Metroid game so they can work on an IP they haven't worked on yet or make a new IP.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

MrWalkieTalkie

Further proof that what they're working on isn't Metroid:

http://nintendoeverything.com/tanabekelbaugh-on-tutorials-tro...

They hope to one day return to Metroid, but they'll be lucky if they ever do. I'm starting to really hope that they're making a whole new IP.

Edited on by MrWalkieTalkie

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

VOTE WONDER-RED FOR SMASH!!

Blast

I got a feeling a Metroid game is still in development but... Retro might be working on a different IP...

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

CThrash13

I'm just not a Metroid fan like so many others, so I'd like to see Retro working on something else. I definitely want them to do a 3D Donkey Kong game for the Wii U, but I want them to work on a new IP or different franchise first. They usually don't disappoint, and in my opinion, the question of what Retro is currently working on is one of the most intriguing Nintendo storylines right now along with Miyamoto's new IP.

CThrash13

Twitter:

Ryno

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D HD

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Blast

Thrash13 wrote:

I'm just not a Metroid fan like so many others, so I'd like to see Retro working on something else. I definitely want them to do a 3D Donkey Kong game for the Wii U, but I want them to work on a new IP or different franchise first. They usually don't disappoint, and in my opinion, the question of what Retro is currently working on is one of the most intriguing Nintendo storylines right now along with Miyamoto's new IP.

Great comment!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

skywake

GunstarHero234 wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

GunstarHero234 wrote:

This "new" IP better not be another FPS crappy Metroid because i'm NOT a fan of Retro's overrated Prime series nor their "new" DK games. I rather have a another Super Metroid type game that isn't OTHER M.
(Getting the Damage Control shields wielded)

so you don't like Retro studios but you expect good things from them...
what a weird guy............

Weird is your comment where in my comment stating that I don't like them??? I stated that I don't like their new version of Metroid and DK that's it I never said I dislike the company. -_-

Where in your comment did you say you don't like them? Well ignoring the bit where you made a point of saying you didn't like either of the two games they've actually been responsible for.....

It's like saying that you love Nintendo EAD and can't wait to see what they do next. However you don't like what they've done with Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Pikmin or Mario. People are going to say "what? but that's basically all they do, how can you say you like them?"

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

Any new guesses seeing as it probably won't be Metroid now?

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Spoony_Tech

Its been far too long since we had a proper Metroid and as we seen with Team Ninja I trust no one else to do it. With that said I think it will be Star Fox and I'm hoping it's in the vain of the Rouge Squadron series! Still would prefer Metroid but like what's been said they have the Midas Touch!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

2Sang

I could deal with a new ip, but I was really hoping for a new F-Zero or Starfox. I bet they could make starfox as good as 64 or maybe even better now that they have way more resources to make the game longer.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2sang/nintendo-pizza-scented-air-freshener-mach-pizza-ea
BACK MY PROJECT EVEN $1 HELPS!

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.