Forums

Topic: What is Retro Studios REALLY up to?

Posts 101 to 120 of 244

Caryslan

To be honest, I'm really hoping Retro is doing a brand new IP that they alone are in charge of. Don't get me wrong, I love what they have done with Donkey Kong and Metroid, but a development house this talented should be allowed to do their own IPs, rather than simply working on old IPs that Nintendo hands them.

One of the great things about the old Rare was that alongside their efforts with Donkey Kong, they also worked on their own IPs like Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Kazooie, and Conker.

Imagine the awesome games Retro could come up with if they worked on a brand new IP that's not tied to an existing Nintendo franchise. Maybe Retro could give Nintendo their own first-party FPS game, or maybe something that might make the Wii U appeal to Western Gamers even more. Rather than hoping they work on a new F-Zero or Star Fox, I say let them showcase their talent with their own IP that they create.

As much as I want to see a new F-Zero or Star Fox, I would rather see Retro start making their own IPs and further diversifying Nintendo's lineup of games.

Imagine Retro making a FPS, Western RPG, Action Game, or something else that is Nintendo published. Given their talent, it would turn heads, and might bring back lapsed fans who are tired of Nintendo's standard offerings, and might make other system fanboys quiet down when they see that Nintendo can publish games that appeal to western tastes and aren't Mario and Zelda.

Retro is the only western second-party that Nintendo has. I'm all for letting them showoff the talent that they have gained by working on Nintendo's IPs, and the result could be a major advantage for the Wii U if they can make that one game that appeals to people who are tired of Mario and Zelda.

Rare did it back on the N64. In fact, it could be argued that Rare played a larger role in saving the N64, than Nintendo themselves did, and much of their output were their own IPs.

Why not give Retro that same shot?

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

shingi_70

cookiex wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Whatever it is I'm thinking we might see it at E3. Hoping for a new one IP or something like startropics.

If it's only been worked on since November we'd get early alpha gameplay at best.

Pre rendered trailer with gameplay in between . than do a more compgensive alpha build show offthe gameplay at the evening conference

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

ZyroXZ2

A LOT of people ask for new IPs, but W101's sales tell Nintendo not to invest in new IPs. Just sayin', lol (I bought W101 day-one and loved it, though it admittedly takes time to get the hang of!)

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Nintendo Network ID: ZyroXZ2 | Twitter:

Jazzer94

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

A LOT of people ask for new IPs, but W101's sales tell Nintendo not to invest in new IPs. Just sayin', lol (I bought W101 day-one and loved it, though it admittedly takes time to get the hang of!)

W101 is a typical Platinum game in terms of craziness and they never seem to sell or go past niche status that is why a new ip has to be done correctly.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Blast

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

Ummmm.... W101 is a great game. It just didn't have enough media coverage despite Nintendo Directs.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Adam

I didn't like it at all, myself.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

skywake

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

Personally I saw the demo, downloaded it, played it for a little bit... then came to the conclusion it wasn't for me. People do give new IPs a go it's just that they need to like the idea of them first. If new IP was impossible then indie gaming wouldn't exist at all.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kkslider5552000

skywake wrote:

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

Personally I saw the demo, downloaded it, played it for a little bit... then came to the conclusion it wasn't for me.

to be fair, the game doesn't get good unless you play it for a while. It desperately needed a better tutorial. It's like reverse Skyward Sword.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

skywake wrote:

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

Personally I saw the demo, downloaded it, played it for a little bit... then came to the conclusion it wasn't for me.

to be fair, the game doesn't get good unless you play it for a while. It desperately needed a better tutorial. It's like reverse Skyward Sword.

To be fair...Platinum doesn't like Tutorials much. This is the company that religated most of the Tutorial in Metal Gear Rising to a separate VR mode that most people wouldn't bother with until they have nothing better to do, despite things like Parries being very difficult to do. I've met people who have gotten really far into the game without even knowing they can do that stuff...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ZyroXZ2

Blast wrote:

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

Ummmm.... W101 is a great game. It just didn't have enough media coverage despite Nintendo Directs.

Who said it wasn't a great game? o_O

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

ZyroXZ2

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

skywake wrote:

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

To be fair...Platinum doesn't like Tutorials much. This is the company that religated most of the Tutorial in Metal Gear Rising to a separate VR mode that most people wouldn't bother with until they have nothing better to do, despite things like Parries being very difficult to do. I've met people who have gotten really far into the game without even knowing they can do that stuff...

Yea, it's a lot like Monster Hunter, where it isn't something that just grips you right off the bat, it takes some initial investment and an open mind, haha

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

SilverShamrock

Caryslan wrote:

To be honest, I'm really hoping Retro is doing a brand new IP that they alone are in charge of. Don't get me wrong, I love what they have done with Donkey Kong and Metroid, but a development house this talented should be allowed to do their own IPs, rather than simply working on old IPs that Nintendo hands them.

One of the great things about the old Rare was that alongside their efforts with Donkey Kong, they also worked on their own IPs like Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Kazooie, and Conker.

Imagine the awesome games Retro could come up with if they worked on a brand new IP that's not tied to an existing Nintendo franchise. Maybe Retro could give Nintendo their own first-party FPS game, or maybe something that might make the Wii U appeal to Western Gamers even more. Rather than hoping they work on a new F-Zero or Star Fox, I say let them showcase their talent with their own IP that they create.

As much as I want to see a new F-Zero or Star Fox, I would rather see Retro start making their own IPs and further diversifying Nintendo's lineup of games.

Imagine Retro making a FPS, Western RPG, Action Game, or something else that is Nintendo published. Given their talent, it would turn heads, and might bring back lapsed fans who are tired of Nintendo's standard offerings, and might make other system fanboys quiet down when they see that Nintendo can publish games that appeal to western tastes and aren't Mario and Zelda.

Retro is the only western second-party that Nintendo has. I'm all for letting them showoff the talent that they have gained by working on Nintendo's IPs, and the result could be a major advantage for the Wii U if they can make that one game that appeals to people who are tired of Mario and Zelda.

Rare did it back on the N64. In fact, it could be argued that Rare played a larger role in saving the N64, than Nintendo themselves did, and much of their output were their own IPs.

Why not give Retro that same shot?

Absolutely. 100% agreed on all accounts.

Retro could be the new Rare, the perfect complement to the first party Nintendo games just like on the N64.

I do yearn for another Metroid by the studio, but if not, I want to see something completely new because judging by all the talent shown so far, it could be something special that will draw more interest to the system.

Edited on by SilverShamrock

SilverShamrock

GunstarHero234

This "new" IP better not be another FPS crappy Metroid because i'm NOT a fan of Retro's overrated Prime series nor their "new" DK games. I rather have a another Super Metroid type game that isn't OTHER M.

(Getting the Damage Control shields wielded)

Edited on by GunstarHero234

GunstarHero234

GuSolarFlare

GunstarHero234 wrote:

This "new" IP better not be another FPS crappy Metroid because i'm NOT a fan of Retro's overrated Prime series nor their "new" DK games. I rather have a another Super Metroid type game that isn't OTHER M.

so you don't like Retro studios but you expect good things from them...
what a weird guy............

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

GunstarHero234

GuSilverFlame wrote:

GunstarHero234 wrote:

Weird is your comment where in my comment stating that I don't like them??? I stated that I don't like their new version of Metroid and DK that's it I never said I dislike the company. -_-

GunstarHero234

GuSolarFlare

GunstarHero234 wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

GunstarHero234 wrote:

Weird is your comment where in my comment stating that I don't like them??? I stated that I don't like their new version of Metroid and DK that's it I never said I dislike the company. -_-

just fooling around no need to take it so seriously
and you said you were prepared for damage

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

GunstarHero234

GuSilverFlame wrote:

GunstarHero234 wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

GunstarHero234 wrote:

"Shields Damaged" -_- but seriously I was expecting fools to comment me about my opinion because this community is more hostile about any situation.

GunstarHero234

GuSolarFlare

GunstarHero234 wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

GunstarHero234 wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

GunstarHero234 wrote:

"Shields Damaged" -_- but seriously I was expecting fools to comment me about my opinion because this community is more hostile about any situation.

^ok..... but I find this community less hostile than the others most of the time(well you're right that they're hostile when people talk about Other M but since I never played it all I can say is that I hate Samus' weak personality.)
maybe it's because I stay mostly on the Chit chat and on the Pokémon XY threads

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

my Backloggery

Nin10dad

How about Banjo - Kazooie? I know, a long shot. But just imagine, Nintendo has secretly re acquired the IP from Microsoft, and have handed it to Retro to re invigorate this epic franchise.....

Well, we can dream right!

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

Gamecubed

I think it's Metroid Prime 4 or something in the same vein gameplay wise. The demand is there.

I feel like F-Zero would go to Next Level Games or Sega and Star Fox would go to Platinum.

Gamecubed

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.