Wii U Forum

Topic: What is next gen ?

Showing 61 to 80 of 204

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mahe

61. Posted:

Wii U is "next gen", as in the current gen that has already started. "Next gen" doesn't always mean better, though. Just look at SNES and N64: the SNES was a far better console than the N64. Not in pure processing power, but in things like controller design, game library and focus of games.

Mahe

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

62. Posted:

Mahe wrote:

Wii U is "next gen", as in the current gen that has already started. "Next gen" doesn't always mean better, though. Just look at SNES and N64: the SNES was a far better console than the N64. Not in pure processing power, but in things like controller design, game library and focus of games.

SNES and N64 are fairly poor examples to use in this argument. For their time they were both a huge leap in power over the competitors from the previous generation. The SNES added visuals not at all possible on the Master System or NES and the N64 added 3D graphics in a quality that the Mega Drive (Genesis) and SNES couldn't possibly do. Ontop of that it could be argued fairly reasonably that the N64 was in some ways a more capable machine than the Playstation and the same could have also been said of the SNES over the Mega Drive. In comparison the Wii U is neither a significant competitor in terms of visuals for the PS4 and XBone nor is it a console that's significantly more powerful than the 360 or PS3.

I do agree that the Wii U is a "next-gen" console, as valueless as the term is, I just think that's a pretty poor example.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stryker89

63. Posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the mere fact that people are debating this brings light to the Wii U's glaring limitations.

Current games: A Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Bravely Default
Upcoming games: Super Smash Bros 3DS, Mario Golf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

64. Posted:

It plays games that your tired old Wii can't handle... Next gen turns into current gen then heads down the beaten old track towards last gen ;)

Forever living to inappropriately touch the mentalities of armchair internet gaming analysts and worthless console war fanboys... Let their sad stories burn eternally within my inbox furnace of hell ;)

Wii U & Steam Box DIGITAL 4 LYFE BABY!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

65. Posted:

Eh the Wii U is next Gen under the proper definition of the term.

However I'm not a fan of the features/hardware limitations against the PS4/One due to Nintendo wanting to play conservative.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

66. Posted:

Olliemar28 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, the mere fact that people are debating this brings light to the Wii U's glaring limitations.

It needed light to be brought? I thought it was pretty obvious from the start.

If anything it being debated highlights the need for some people to justify their console purchases. Nothing more.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

67. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Olliemar28 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, the mere fact that people are debating this brings light to the Wii U's glaring limitations.

It needed light to be brought? I thought it was pretty obvious from the start.

If anything it being debated highlights the need for some people to justify their console purchases. Nothing more.

I'm going to give my honest opinion of why I think it's huge debate as to whether the Wii U is next generation or not. Many, many, MANY gamers left Nintendo after the GameCube. I did. They felt the Wii was a slap in the face. Motion controls were gimmicky, and most of the games were for kids. So most of us left for the 360 and PS3, while (in our eyes) only little kids and moms bought the Wii. That idea hasn't left the mind of most gamers, even older and more mature players. The Wii U, to the majority of the gaming population, is just another Wii from Nintendo, and therefore it is going to be attacked ruthlessly. The people doing the attacking haven't actually played the system and probably never will - they are judging based off of the last 7ish years.

In short, citing the technical specs as a debate point is just a convenience to an end - it's not the real reason people don't think the Wii U is next gen. The real reason is the bad blood Nintendo brewed in the last generation and resulting hatred toward anything made by the company now.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

68. Posted:

@rallydefault
That's demonstrably false. The Gamecube only sold ~30mill so the "gamers" who "left" Nintendo did so before it. If people left Nintendo it was with the N64 not the Wii, the Wii expanded their market dramatically and was found under the TVs of plenty of "core" gamers. The "kiddie" image has been there since the days when "Genesis did what Nintendon't" and was magnified when Sony came to the scene and made a gaming console a more mainstream audience were happy to sit underneath their TVs. So I don't buy that argument.

I stand by what I said and the points which you didn't counter. This "debate" isn't about specs and it isn't even about content or image. It's about people who are invested into a particular platform trying to find a way to justify their purchases. Nothing more.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

69. Posted:

@rallydefault

The Wii u behind on a technical level is a big reason why people don't see it being next gen. People expected Nintendo to learn from the Wii and it appeared they did upon the first reveal. Then we learned how powerful the Wii U was in relation to current Gen and how much better the other consoles (ONE/PS4) would be in power and feature set.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

70. Posted:

@skywake

I wasn't trying to "counter" anything you said. Why is everyone on here looking for an argument? My statement was that GAMERS left Nintendo when the Wii came out. Yes, the Wii sold more, but they were selling to moms, dads, grandparents, doctor's offices, etc. - a market they hadn't tapped before. So yes, they sold more by reaching out to a wider audience, but they sold fewer to gamers who didn't want any part of motion controls. Many, MANY gamers left Nintendo when the Wii came out. You can't argue that. You know it's true. You probably have friends who did exactly that. Take that circle of friends and broaden it out to the country and the world. That's what happened with the Wii - more people, ultimately, but less favor among gamers.

@Sony_70

I agree with you, but my opinion is that Nintendo would be facing the same criticisms of Wii U even if the specs were on-par with Xbone and PS4, gamers would just find something else to criticize it for: the "gimmick" of the gamepad, the absence of engines like Frostbite (due to low hardware sales), etc. The ill will amongst a certain segment of the population just wants nothing to with Nintendo anymore. Get a pulse read on some of the bigger web sites out there and you'll see it time and time again: people are just fed up with Nintendo and view them as a kiddy company. (None of this is my opinion lol)

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

71. Posted:

@rallydefault

I don't think the Wii U would have been ignored if they were on par and had X86 like the One/PS4 did.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

72. Posted:

@rallydefault
Yeah, that's bull. Do you remember what Nintendo's reputation was before the Wii and DS took off? I was in a really heavy tech enthusiast group of nerdy friends at the time and I probably only ~10% even had a Gamecube. At the time I personally wasn't interested in Nintendo's content at all and I only changed my tune when I saw New Super Mario Bros on DS. Within six months of the Wii launching pretty much everyone had a Wii.

It's very easy to glance over a comment section on an article about "hardcore games" now after the Wii hype has well and truly faded and say it turned people off. But it's bull, that's not what happened at all. Go back to the internet hype around 2006 and you'll find people saying "Wii60". Find a random group of gamers in 2007 and between Portal references and a love affair with Bioshock they would mention the Smash Bros blog, Super Mario Galaxy and Pokemon.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

73. Posted:

@skywake

No need to get nasty, man. I didn't write any "bull," I wrote my own opinion on that matter that I strongly believe applies to more than a few other people out there. Like it or not, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Or you can disagree to disagree, I really don't care. Your friends may have all bought the Wii, but literally not a single person in my family bought one, nor did my friends. It's still the topic of ridicule amongst most of my friend, actually.

So there you have it, two totally opposite experiences. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between, as it usually does.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

74. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

@rallydefault

I don't think the Wii U would have been ignored if they were on par and had X86 like the One/PS4 did.

N64 and GameCube were ignored quite alot in comparison to weaker consoles at the time.
When it was GameCube vs. Xbox vs. PS2, I was literally thinking, 'Why are people buying PS2 when it's worse than GCN?'
Same applies here. People think Wii U is under powered in comparison to PS4/Xbox One, so why bother?

The biggest difference between Nintendo now, and Nintendo then, is memory format limitations. N64 undoubtedly struggled mainly due to not using discs, or not using a big enough disc.
Alot of the way people perceive these comsoles has alot to do with timing, and will ask questions.
Does it look, sound, play, and have more than what we've already had?
In this case, were looking at Xbox 360 and PS3 in the past, and PS4 and Xbox One in the future.
Nintendo now has high capacity discs, HDD support, a game/chat camera, motion control better than any console before, a standard touchscreen, NFC, multiple controller input, and better online.
In terms of what the Wii U can do, it meets or exceeds expectations in many areas in comparison to last generation.
The only real difference really only would be graphics, and we don't even truly know how a game would look if it was ported from another 8th gen console.
The only way we will ever know what Wii U can do in comparison to Xbox One and PS4, is if someone releases a multiplatform game on all 3 that we can compare between the 3.
Many early multiplatform games are being released on every console, except Wii U. Destiny, GTA V will be on both of the PS and Xbox consoles spanning 2 generations. If those games show up, it will settle any differences between all of them once and for all.

My guess is that Wii U is just as much better than Xbox 360 graphically as it is worse to Xbox One. It's probably a halfstep in that regard, but there's plenty of features Wii U has that none of the others will have standard.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

75. Posted:

Bad blood brewed?
Extremist hatred over a box of bits?
Consoles slap people in the face now ?

Sounds like some people need to pay a visit to their local looney bins ;)

Forever living to inappropriately touch the mentalities of armchair internet gaming analysts and worthless console war fanboys... Let their sad stories burn eternally within my inbox furnace of hell ;)

Wii U & Steam Box DIGITAL 4 LYFE BABY!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

76. Posted:

@rallydefault
I didn't say everyone got a Wii I just said that of the people I knew nobody who owned a Gamecube skipped the Wii. The Gamecube wasn't very popular at all even amongst tech enthusiasts and the Wii was. Like it or not it's one of the best selling consoles ever so the evidence is on my side on this one. If you take offense at me calling what you said bull then take offense... but it's complete bull.

and I believe you are reading my posts in the incorrect tone because nothing I said was mean spirited. A pretty bold accusation coming from a person who's calling Nintendo's content childish on a Nintendo forum.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

77. Posted:

This is probably gonna sound stupid, but I thought Wii would eventually be able to run games that looked like Gears of War, with the remote pointer scheme we all knew was possible. That was right when Wii came out, though, and nobody reall knew what to expect.
Looks like that's gonna happen this generation instead, plus we have the GamePad and better, more modern tech on top of that now.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

78. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

@rallydefault

I don't think the Wii U would have been ignored if they were on par and had X86 like the One/PS4 did.

N64 and GameCube were ignored quite alot in comparison to weaker consoles at the time.
When it was GameCube vs. Xbox vs. PS2, I was literally thinking, 'Why are people buying PS2 when it's worse than GCN?'
Same applies here. People think Wii U is under powered in comparison to PS4/Xbox One, so why bother?

The biggest difference between Nintendo now, and Nintendo then, is memory format limitations. N64 undoubtedly struggled mainly due to not using discs, or not using a big enough disc.
Alot of the way people perceive these comsoles has alot to do with timing, and will ask questions.
Does it look, sound, play, and have more than what we've already had?
In this case, were looking at Xbox 360 and PS3 in the past, and PS4 and Xbox One in the future.
Nintendo now has high capacity discs, HDD support, a game/chat camera, motion control better than any console before, a standard touchscreen, NFC, multiple controller input, and better online.
In terms of what the Wii U can do, it meets or exceeds expectations in many areas in comparison to last generation.
The only real difference really only would be graphics, and we don't even truly know how a game would look if it was ported from another 8th gen console.
The only way we will ever know what Wii U can do in comparison to Xbox One and PS4, is if someone releases a multiplatform game on all 3 that we can compare between the 3.
Many early multiplatform games are being released on every console, except Wii U. Destiny, GTA V will be on both of the PS and Xbox consoles spanning 2 generations. If those games show up, it will settle any differences between all of them once and for all.

My guess is that Wii U is just as much better than Xbox 360 graphically as it is worse to Xbox One. It's probably a halfstep in that regard, but there's plenty of features Wii U has that none of the others will have standard.

N64 and Gamecube also goofed up by having low storage capacity's

Edited on by shingi_70

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

79. Posted:

@Sony_70
That was mentioned in the wall of text.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

80. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

This is probably gonna sound stupid, but I thought Wii would eventually be able to run games that looked like Gears of War, with the remote pointer scheme we all knew was possible.

It does sound stupid because it is. Hopefully you don't take offense to my bluntness unlike others in this thread :)

NNID: skywake