Wii U Forum

Topic: What is next gen ?

Showing 21 to 40 of 204

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

21. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Damn I knew I should have responded to that post at the time to avoid confusion. Just because it's not more powerful, doesn't mean it's weaker, either. Gotta be so specific in order to get things across :/

Kind of like how onions have more DNA than humans, but are less complex?

I can agree to that. Wii U's are like onions.

Kinda, I guess. Xbox One and PS4 would be a radish. Those are pretty close to onions, right?

I'm not sure about radishes

I only got as far as the biological complexity of onions lol

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

22. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Damn I knew I should have responded to that post at the time to avoid confusion. Just because it's not more powerful, doesn't mean it's weaker, either. Gotta be so specific in order to get things across :/

Kind of like how onions have more DNA than humans, but are less complex?

I can agree to that. Wii U's are like onions.

Wii U's are like Ogres.
Untitled

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

23. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Reala wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

First off, the Wii U is factually better technologically than Xbox 360 and PS3. You don't have to believe me, but it's fact.

Pretty sure that is all very debatable, the jaguar was "technically" superior to SNES but nothing on that looked any better than the SNES, if the wii u is more difficult to program for than PS3 and 360 then it might even take more effort just to match those never mind surpass them, so any supposed technical superiority of the wii u over the PS3 and 360 will be for nothing if the programmers can't demonstrate it, other than nintendo I wonder if many will even try.

Your post basically argued itself. The Wii U is "tecnically" more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3, while the Xbox One and PS4 are "technically" more powerful than Wii U.

Aside from that, the Wii U may be hard to program for, but then how do you expect it to be easy for other consoles?

I did say supposedly more powerful, based on your so called facts, you must be reading something very different from me or exist on a different plane of existence entirely, seriously when ever I see a thread with you in it its like being in the twilight zone.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

24. Posted:

TysonOfTime wrote:

Wii U's are like Ogres.
Untitled

lmao

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

25. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT: Besides, it makes no sense why you would accept a completely blatant answer, but not how I came to that conclusion.
You don't solve a problem by not doing anything.

You said the Wii U is not more powerful than the other consoles. Multiple sources have confirmed this as well

Therefore I believe you, the Wii U is a weaker console. We're finally agreeing now!

It probably is weaker, but it depends on HOW it's weaker. PC gamers know that if a video game is too demanding on their rig, the game won't load some of the textures and such to run the game.
You can still play a PC game without the graphics.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

26. Posted:

"Next gen" means the next in lineage, or next in line of a "family," i.e. any sort of group with common ancestry.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Warruz

27. Posted:

The problem with the next gen discussion is that its an old term trying to be adapted to a new use, leading to debate. Next Generation used to be in reference to in short Video Card memory back in the day. We had the 8 bit generation, 16 bit generation, 32/64 bit generation. 128 bit generation, 256, and soon at the 1gig (skiped 512 due to longer console shelf life). This however has changed as the graphics power has become less dependent on the amount of memory a graphics card has, its no longer the defacto measuring tool. Now because of this the console generation term isnt exactly true anymore as we actually skiped one.

So now generations are starting to warp into a term being used as a plateau in terms of power, an undefined term at that its just a it is or it isnt type of term. Is the Wii U Next Gen? It is in terms of nintendo, but of this new warped definition? Most likely not

Check out my Video Game Podcast / Website - Pauseyourgame.com
Series of articles dealing with ways to improve Wii U Marketing - http://pauseyourgame.com/2013/10/what-nintendo-wii-u-need-to-do-part-1/

Twitter: Warruz

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

28. Posted:

Okay guys, spent a whole 15 seconds on this.
Untitled

Edited on by TysonOfTime

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Midnight3DS

29. Posted:

Warruz wrote:

The problem with the next gen discussion is that its an old term trying to be adapted to a new use, leading to debate. Next Generation used to be in reference to in short Video Card memory back in the day. We had the 8 bit generation, 16 bit generation, 32/64 bit generation. 128 bit generation, 256, and soon at the 1gig (skiped 512 due to longer console shelf life). This however has changed as the graphics power has become less dependent on the amount of memory a graphics card has, its no longer the defacto measuring tool. Now because of this the console generation term isnt exactly true anymore as we actually skiped one.

So now generations are starting to warp into a term being used as a plateau in terms of power, an undefined term at that its just a it is or it isnt type of term. Is the Wii U Next Gen? It is in terms of nintendo, but of this new warped definition? Most likely not

Yep, the battle of the bits, and the 'power' is still what is generally referred to as next gen, and it's as valid as any other definition, though it's not as clear or simple as doubling the bits anymore.

Do The Math

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

30. Posted:

TysonOfTime wrote:

Okay guys, spent a whole 15 seconds on this.
Untitled

hahaha that's awesome

Time well spent definitely

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MrWalkieTalkie

31. Posted:

smashbrolink wrote:

My opinion?
Too many people are using the phrase "next gen" incorrectly.

Generations have always been defined by sequence.

By virtue of the REAL definition of the word, the Wii U is just as much a part of the next, newest generation of systems as the PS4 and One are.
Specs and everything else don't even factor in when defining a generation.
They only matter when discussing what a generation is bringing to the table.

This is the perfect definition.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

Chibi-Robo and Excitebiker for Smash!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MEGAMAN_D

32. Posted:

PS4 can't put the bat-computer in my hands, it can't make me panic as I shuffle through a rucksack while checking my tv for zombies, I can equip all of deaths moves in darksiders 2 at the touch of a finger instead of having to map only 4 to buttons.

I can play my games on my couch with a coffee (offscreen play)

Edited on by MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D

AuthorMessage
Avatar

micronean

33. Posted:

Warruz wrote:

The problem with the next gen discussion is that its an old term trying to be adapted to a new use, leading to debate. Next Generation used to be in reference to in short Video Card memory back in the day. We had the 8 bit generation, 16 bit generation, 32/64 bit generation. 128 bit generation, 256, and soon at the 1gig (skiped 512 due to longer console shelf life). This however has changed as the graphics power has become less dependent on the amount of memory a graphics card has, its no longer the defacto measuring tool. Now because of this the console generation term isnt exactly true anymore as we actually skiped one.

So now generations are starting to warp into a term being used as a plateau in terms of power, an undefined term at that its just a it is or it isnt type of term. Is the Wii U Next Gen? It is in terms of nintendo, but of this new warped definition? Most likely not

This is why there's debate about the definition of "next gen". Nobody really knows what it is anymore because it stopped being about xx-bit. The people that dismiss Nintendo about being "next gen" just look at the graphics end of it, but it used to be more than that. For example, controllers and control schemes also evolved from one gen to the other. That ended with Sony and the PS2, but Nintendo has continued evolving in that regard. Xbox and PS are still behind, and tend to play catch-up with Nintendo. PCs are still mouse + keyboard (even older!).

Personally, I don't think "next gen" should be associated with graphics anymore. I think it reached a ceiling with 1080p resolution. The colours and graphics already look fine for games. Perhaps not for guns, or blood, or simulation sports cars, but that has always been the domain of PCs: simulation. Nintendo is behind in simulating the real world. Xbox and PS are really into that...but that is more of the PC mentality that has migrated over to consoles, which has always looked down on Nintendo.

micronean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

34. Posted:

Square-Head wrote:

PS4 can't put the bat-computer in my hands, it can't make me panic as I shuffle through a rucksack while checking my tv for zombies, I can equip all of deaths moves in darksiders 2 at the touch of a finger instead of having to map only 4 to buttons.

I can play my games on my couch with a coffee

That's what I was saying about The Last of Us for PS3. You rummage through your backpack in the game, but it's like finding items in your PokeBag(not as many items, but still).
Those are the types of ways they want you to play, because it's subconscious to look down into a backpack the same it would be in real life. Obviously, it's not completely the same, but it does call for more effective gameplay options that wouldn't be happening otherwise.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MEGAMAN_D

35. Posted:

Lol a bit half assed my last post as I did it on a phone

As I was saying, the gamepad is an amazing idea that I believe is a better way to experince games, some of which I listed in my last post.

And to those saying that the Wii U is on par with current gen consoles then I beg to differ. Look at NFS MW U, a game that is noticeably better looking than other console versions, Project X, looks stunning, mario kart 8 looks next gen to me. So I have just listed 3 credible examples.

I dunno what direction gamers in general want to see games move in, but I know that I personally want a new experience and a more enjoyable experience from my games in the future.

look how fun it is playing the multiplayer mode in zombi u, an experience that is new and simply not possible on any other console before it. Even just having the map in your hands with games like darksiders 2, or sliding your finger to where you want your squad to move during an intense fire fight in mass effect 3 feels great.

I was not impressed by the games sony and microsoft showed at E3 this year. I'm not hating but its just same old, same old, another fps, another driving game, just with better graphics.

I can't help the fact that I'm not excited by genre's of games I have been playing for years I'm sorry. I'm not saying that nintendo's showcase was ground breaking either, but one thing we can be sure of is when these games do come out they will be of high quality.

The possibility's of the Wii U alone has me excited, look at what their doing with the new splinter cell for example.

I can only speak for myself of course, I'm just saying that I think the Wii U is more than capable of delivering stunning graphics and at the same time has a great innovation that enhances games not done before and if thats not next gen I dunno what is.

Edited on by MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

36. Posted:

Is the Wii U next-gen?
Untitled
yup, sure is

/thread

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

37. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

"Next gen" means the next in lineage, or next in line of a "family," i.e. any sort of group with common ancestry.

THIS. Period. End of story. No other arguments necessary. The dictionary always wins.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

38. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

"Next gen" means the next in lineage, or next in line of a "family," i.e. any sort of group with common ancestry.

THIS. Period. End of story. No other arguments necessary. The dictionary always wins.

Not only that, but the Wii U can basically do anything better than Xbox 360 or PS3 when it comes to video games, anyway.
We already have proof that it has better graphics, and it has the GamePad and widespread Wii remote support which Sony could never push as well as Nintendo.

Just wanted to add to your point.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

39. Posted:

I think it's ridiculous to have a debate about graphical performance when this is the standard of debate
Untitled
just putting that out there

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

40. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

THIS. Period. End of story. No other arguments necessary. The dictionary always wins.

I don't know man. I think the Thesaurus could kick the Dictionary's a**.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

Avatar: Happy Independence Day!