Wii U Forum

Topic: What is next gen ?

Showing 161 to 180 of 204

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

161. Posted:

If people are going to TL;DR they better at least create a coherent argument :)

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

162. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

The whole thread is TL ;) DR

this is easily the best thing you've ever typed

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

163. Posted:

skywake wrote:

If people are going to TL;DR they better at least create a coherent argument :)

That's a fair challenge.

Still, this thread has basically imploded into a black hole of fictitious consoles (spec-wise) and extraordinary claims.
Untitled

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

164. Posted:

skywake wrote:

If people are going to TL;DR they better at least create a coherent argument :)

against what? Nothing? There is nothing of value here.

"THIS IS WHAT I THINK NEXT GEN MEANS"
"WELL THIS IS WHAT I THINK IT MEANS"
"OK"

THE END.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

165. Posted:

I would also like to add to the tech argument.
Back in 2004, people were giving s*** to the DS for having worse graphics than the PSP.

Jump about 6 years later, and 3DS is out. It has still retained it's DS features like 2 screens, touch controls and added a variety of features even the PS Vita is providing, but has surpassed PSP in graphic fidelity.

So basically, Nintendo "dodged" graphics in favor of expading the capability of their handheld.

We now have a 3DS that is more powerful than the PSP, which is still comparible to the Vita in some ways.

1. Near vs. Streetpass

  • Nintendo is using the feature alot more effectively than Sony

2. Gyro motion

  • The 3DS uses gyro in a quite a few titles. Some aren't affected as much, but there are more games on 3DS, so it is a more utilized feature. PS Vita uses gyro for its games, too, but you can't count this feature as a benefit towards PS3 or 4, because you're combining devices at that point.
    Handhelds and consoles are different, so you can't reference one or the other as benefits.

3. Graphics

  • 3DS has decent graphics for a handheld. It can still compare to the Vita with certain titles. Compare a game like Street Fighter 4 to Mortal Kombat 9. Do the graphics matter in this case? Not really.
    The 3DS also has 3D screens, which is relevant to the capabilities of a system. Developers could technically ignore the 3D, but that is one of the main features of the system.

4. Social:

  • PS Vita has those options. It's not to say 3DS can't, but it's just not set up that way.

ETC:
I could go on, but my point is that 3DS has benefited by being the successor of the DS.
We now have graphics mainly better than the PSP, with all these other features that have become standard through advancement in technology.

Graphics were always on Nintendo's schedule. Nintendo just doesn't plan to compete graphically until they overhaul some beneficial features.
The 3DS has overwriten everything PSP has done hardware wise.
The only thing Vita has is better graphics now.
Some things are opinionated, but whatever.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

166. Posted:

skywake wrote:

There wasn't much at all at E3 that made me think "wow, I have never seen anything like that before!" beyond maybe anti-gravity on Mario Kart (sadly) and a Hipster FPS where you shoot vinyl. Neither of which really required the "next-gen" consoles to exist.

Sorry for the wall of text

Thank you for your extremely long version of your opinion.

I'm glad we agree advancements in technology are important for aspects of video games other than graphics. I still don't care about your immediate comparisons between this generation and the past. (Though the scale in certain E3 games was not possible the previous gen, making me question what you consider an advancement)

You're still fighting a point I never mentioned, and taking part in the NL tradition of calling everything a strawman - such a horribly misused word : ( -.

I'm afraid you'll have to stick to my original point (advancement of technology throughout the history of the industry, of which you agreed with). I can only entertain the tangents you and Scar enjoy creating for so long.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Midnight3DS

167. Posted:

@SCAR392 "The only thing Vita has is better graphics now. Some things are opinionated, but whatever."

Opinionated, definitely. There are several debatably better aspects with Vita, aside from graphics. Internet browser, for one, is no contest. Twin sticks is another advantage. Price decision on the part of Nintendo. Gyro can fly out the window along with six axis as far as I'm concerned.

Edited on by Midnight3DS

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

168. Posted:

So who here like the Viyda Games?

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

169. Posted:

Midnight3DS wrote:

@SCAR392 "The only thing Vita has is better graphics now. Some things are opinionated, but whatever."

Opinionated, definitely. There are several debateably better aspects with Vita, aside from graphics. Internet browser, for one, is no contest. Twin sticks is another advantage. Price decision on the part of Nintendo. Gyro can fly out the window along with six axis as far as I'm concerned.

Well, there is the CPP XL, which adds another stick. Really, it wouldn't be that hard to add CPP XL support, but developers ignore it anyway. The CPP also adds LZ and RZ, BTW, which Vita would have to add, too.
It wasn't a price decision for Nintendo to not include dual analog. They couldn't fit it into the shell they wanted for the 3DS.
The internet browser is still pretty good on 3DS. It measures up to the Xbox 360 in terms of capability. The PS Vita's is up there.
Also, the 3DS's browser can still do somethings the Vita can't in regards to internet, like run some internet features without plug-ins.

Still though, you can't say one or the is better really, because the PS Vita does excell in some areas, but the 3DS does, as well.
A 3D screen, a second screen, 3D cameras, and SD card support is not really something you can update for PS Vita via software.

That's where the gimmick claim usually gets brought up. Some people don't care about said features, but then they become standard and the competitor has to give in, anyway.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Midnight3DS

170. Posted:

3DS has some advantages, certainly. I chose it over Vita afterall. :)

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

171. Posted:

Doesn't the Vita touchpad compensate for lack of R2L2 buttons?

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

172. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Doesn't the Vita touchpad compensate for lack of R2L2 buttons?

I suppose, but again, these features are up to the developers. Sometimes using more buttons just doesn't make sense.
The games that use the CPP and extra buttons are the only games I can think of that would benefit from that control style, anyway.
Kid Icarus: Uprising uses the CPP as a left handed option. I was expecting a dual analog option, honestly.
Any device can always do more control wise, but it has to make sense.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

173. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

You're still fighting a point I never mentioned, and taking part in the NL tradition of calling everything a strawman - such a horribly misused word

Dude, you literally said that you weren't making a point against what people were saying but were instead taking their "ideology" to a ridiculous conclusion. That's literally what a strawman is, you using it frequently and people calling you out on it doesn't give you a licence to use it. I actually refrained from calling you out on it in my initial response if you must know.

I'm glad that you have basically taken back what you originally said even if it was a way to dodge the substance of my response. I can only attack your points directly and have you call them tangents that you don't care about for so long. Eventually, and I think this is already the case, this process of erosion will leave you with nothing to say ;)

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

174. Posted:

Original assertion: Advancements in technology are responsible for more than just improvements in graphics. If the industry held the mindset of some people in this thread, and also understated the importance of increases in technology, aspects other than graphics would have progressed at a slower rate.

None of that have you disagreed with. lol. You are basically creating a debate with yourself because we haven't explicitly disagreed on anything.

You might as well carry on my half of the argument as well since I seem to be more of a bystander in this. lol

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

175. Posted:

Untitled

Forever living to inappropriately touch the mentalities of armchair internet gaming analysts and worthless console war fanboys... Let their sad stories burn eternally within my inbox furnace of hell ;)

Wii U & Steam Box DIGITAL 4 LYFE BABY!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

176. Posted:

sigh

Nobody in this thread misunderstands the importance of technology in the video game industry. You also didn't say that graphics would have progressed slower you said that we would still be playing PONG if the industry followed the "ideology" of people in this thread. I never disagreed with your new point that processor performance plays a role, nobody in this thread has.

What I complained about was your false assertion that people were arguing for anything but performance improvements. I said no, that's bull, nobody is saying that, that's a strawman argument. I then went on to say what people were actually saying. That there are factors other than that that are equally as important. Some of them more important. That the performance of a console is simply a tool that devs can use to create gaming "art".

If you want to agree with that and pretend you never said the things I innitially responded to then fine. However please at the very least engage people's actual arguments in this debate instead of dodging the point and doing exactly what you are accusing me of. Ok? Good? Done. /thread

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

177. Posted:

1. People have said the new consoles only offer shinier versions of old games. That is misunderstanding the role of technology in video games.

2. You took the Pong crack 100% literally, awesome.

3. I still think you mistakingly believe I was talking about your debate with everyone else. Which would make sense considering you thought I was someone else. lol.I was referring to random comments in this thread, I had no intention of getting into a pointless, timeless debate with you or Scar, yet I seemingly failed to avoid that on both accounts. lol

4. I have never changed my stance on anything in this thread. If you'd like to believe so, but cannot quote my posts that contradict, I'll let you win this and /thread as I let Scar. lol. You both seem to share the same ability to be reasoned with.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

178. Posted:

I'm also going to bed now, so when you write another wall of text about semantics, it's not because I am speechless. Though I very may well be when I wake up since this is already the longest debate I've ever had over nothing. lol

I will be looking forward to seeing my contradicting statements though!

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

179. Posted:

Untitled
Together we will weather this storm!
jk /escape

Edited on by OptometristLime

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

180. Posted:

@AlexSays
Again with something I never said. If someone should start quoting perhaps you should quote the bit where I claimed you were contradicting yourself or changing your stance. Also I haven't really made an argument about semantics in this thread since before this whole argument thing bubbled up (and no, telling you what a strawman is is not an argument about semantics, this thread is but our "debate" hasn't been). Maybe you should actually read my posts before getting angry about them

"lol"

[edit]
and if this thread was to actually debate something of substance, as trivial as this topic is, perhaps it should be instead about what makes a "next-gen" game not what makes a console "next-gen". Despite the rage from some about my wall of text on the previous page I think that was a pretty damn good point.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake