Wii U Forum

Topic: What is next gen ?

Showing 1 to 20 of 204

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MEGAMAN_D

1. Posted:

So there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions about whether the Wii U is next gen.

In my opinion, yes it is, and here's why

Now if you guys think back to december 2006 when the original wii was released, it's fair to say that we as gamers had never seen or experienced any thing quite like it. Eyetoy doesn't count as it was used only for mini games, whereas the wii-mote was used for all manner of games, fps's, platformers, spots games etc.

When I got my 360, I got 2 games at lauch, condemned, and dead or alive 4, 2 very good games that I enjoyed and still enjoy to this day.

But at the same time these games didn't exactly feel like anything new. I had been playing dead or alive since the dreamcast and condemned could have probably been achived on the original xbox, albeit with less impressive visuals, but still would have good enough. Just look at doom 3.

Now when I got my Wii, once again I got 2 games, Redsteel and twilight princess. When I booted up redsteel I wasn't blown away by the graphics (although at the time, they weren't that bad, hasn't aged well though, but still fun) It felt new and fresh, but more importantly FUN.

I felt good to pull of headshots with precision and skill, I felt like I was holding links sword when I swung the Wii-mote.

The point I'm trying to make is, that although the Wii wasn't up there with it's rivals visualy, it made up for it with innovation. Now I know the Wii had it's fair share of stinkers, but then so does every console, and there is a simple solution to this, DON'T BUY THEM.

Now lets move on to the Wii U

Same thing really, when I played zombi u, I had never played a survival horror like it, look how well batman was done on the Wii U, With the bat-com in your hands, it just feels awesome, and only the most boring, dead pan, stick in the mud would disagree.

I believe graphics are important, of course they are, otherwise we would all still be playing pong. But new ideas and innovation also play a key role, and people that dismiss the Wii U as current gen would do well to remember this.

MEGAMAN_D

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Miss_Dark

2. Posted:

next gen always reminds me of the generation of gamers that ruined the game industry forever by quoting that the only important thing in games are GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS

They're huge retards and caused an industry that tries to make money by producing visually spectacular games without a good or deep storyline, without great gameplay but with a hell of a marketing campaign. I can give you 10 titles immediately that blew me away by there gameplay and storyline on SNES, N64, NGC,... but that's not the case now anymore.

Nintendo wii u is therefore not next gen in my opinion though I get what you mean by next gen in this context, nintendo will definitely always be a pioneer in the game industry. They develop new stuff and Microsoft and Sony just copy them. That's your biggest proof.

"Il y a un adage qui dit qu'on fait du mal à ceux qu'on aime, mais il oublie de dire qu'on aime ceux qui nous font du mal."

Wii U name: Miss_Dark feel free to add me (but let me know who you are @ NL)
DS code: 1177 8262 3599 Please add me! ^^ (and let me know your code so I can add you too!)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

3. Posted:

Pit Fighter is next gen because the graphics look like real life ;)

Edited on by MAB

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

smashbrolink

4. Posted:

My opinion?
Too many people are using the phrase "next gen" incorrectly.

Generations have always been defined by sequence.

By virtue of the REAL definition of the word, the Wii U is just as much a part of the next, newest generation of systems as the PS4 and One are.
Specs and everything else don't even factor in when defining a generation.
They only matter when discussing what a generation is bringing to the table.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

5. Posted:

So much more than good graphics are possible with more power. Graphics are just an immedialetly noticable way to showcase the new power. You seem to have forgotten this completely when you compared the consoles. I do agree that Wii U is next gen, and that its got awesome innovation. I disagree with your reasoning of how it compares to other consoles though. The power that non Nintendo consoles bring each nect gen furthers gameplay limits and makes new innovations possible that wouldn't be possible with the previous's gen power, or Nintendo's console power.

Currently playing: Super Smash Bros: Wii U and Mount & Blade: Warband: Viking Conquest.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

6. Posted:

ITT: People will be confused and think hardware power only contributes to graphics.

Also ITT: People will claim everyone copies Nintendo, and Nintendo invents every piece of technology they use. (wups too late)

Also ITT: People will believe the Wii U is super innovative because you look at a tablet occasionally.

Gens are sequence based though, so even if only by technicality, Wii U is 'next gen'

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

7. Posted:

Next is usually based on the next generation of hardware by a company and usually comes in cycles. The Wii U s the first of the next gen consoles followed shortly by Xbox One and Playstation 4 this fall.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

8. Posted:

By the time you get the new thing it becomes current so next gen never comes :p

Reala

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendroid5000

9. Posted:

Next gen is all about the graphics.

Nintendroid5000

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kodeen

10. Posted:

It doesn't matter, there isn't any value to be obtained by defining the term.

Kodeen

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DualWielding

11. Posted:

I think the source of the confusion is that Next Generation mean different things for consumers and for developers...

For consumers Next Gen is a matter of when it was release, since Wii U was released as part of the 8 Gen Console it is Next Gen (until 8 Gen becomes current Gen)

However from the developers point of view the Wii U is closer to PS3/360 than to Xbox One/PS4 which is why developers often don't count Wii U as a Next Gen console

PSN: Fertheseeker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

12. Posted:

First off, the Wii U is factually better technologically than Xbox 360 and PS3. You don't have to believe me, but it's fact. Ok, moving on...
Alot of people associate graphics with power. Like some have said in ths thread, that is not always the case. I would also like to point out, that you do not always need better graphics to identify power.
It is possible that the Wii U can do just as many in-game calculations as the PS4 and Xbox One, but sacrifice the graphics part of those calculations.
It would be like playing a game that recommends a certain processing level to show the game as it was intented to be seen. If your computer is lacking in some areas that the game recommends for textures, visual data, etc., the computer will automatically chage the visuals to match the power that you do have. I'm pretty sure the same applies here.
Not only is the Wii U capable of better graphics than PS3, but it can handle more things on screen while retaining the same graphical out put.

It's all scaling.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

13. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

First off, the Wii U is factually better technologically than Xbox 360 and PS3. You don't have to believe me, but it's fact.

Pretty sure that is all very debatable, the jaguar was "technically" superior to SNES but nothing on that looked any better than the SNES, if the wii u is more difficult to program for than PS3 and 360 then it might even take more effort just to match those never mind surpass them, so any supposed technical superiority of the wii u over the PS3 and 360 will be for nothing if the programmers can't demonstrate it, other than nintendo I wonder if many will even try.

Reala

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

14. Posted:

He can give his complex reasoning as to why its technically superior all he wants

All that matters is this

SCAR392 wrote:

The Wii U is not more powerful than X1 and PS4.

Linky

Therefore we shouldn't expect the Wii U to produce anything more impressive than we see on the other consoles, even according to Scar.

And I can agree to that

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

15. Posted:

Reala wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

First off, the Wii U is factually better technologically than Xbox 360 and PS3. You don't have to believe me, but it's fact.

Pretty sure that is all very debatable, the jaguar was "technically" superior to SNES but nothing on that looked any better than the SNES, if the wii u is more difficult to program for than PS3 and 360 then it might even take more effort just to match those never mind surpass them, so any supposed technical superiority of the wii u over the PS3 and 360 will be for nothing if the programmers can't demonstrate it, other than nintendo I wonder if many will even try.

Your post basically argued itself. The Wii U is "tecnically" more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3, while the Xbox One and PS4 are "technically" more powerful than Wii U.

Aside from that, the Wii U may be hard to program for, but then how do you expect it to be easy for other consoles?

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Midnight3DS

16. Posted:

What it is or isn't, can do or cannot do, becomes irrelevant outside the Nintendo and techie bubbles. Wii U is generally not considered to be in the league of PS4/X1, and not taken as seriously. That's a cold hard reality that next gen 'release sequence', or gamepad can't nessecarily fix. I will pick up a Wii U later this year, but I have no expectation that it will ever catch fire.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

17. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

He can give his complex reasoning as to why its technically superior all he wants

All that matters is this

SCAR392 wrote:

The Wii U is not more powerful than X1 and PS4.

Linky

Therefore we shouldn't expect the Wii U to produce anything more impressive than we see on the other consoles, even according to Scar.

And I can agree to that

Damn I knew I should have responded to that post at the time to avoid confusion. Just because it's not more powerful, doesn't mean it's weaker, either. Gotta be so specific in order to get things across :/ BTW, it is speculative to suggest this, but it would definitely be foolish to think Wii U is a weak machine.

EDIT: Besides, it makes no sense why you would accept a completely blatant answer, but not how I came to that conclusion.
You don't solve a problem by not doing anything.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

18. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Damn I knew I should have responded to that post at the time to avoid confusion. Just because it's not more powerful, doesn't mean it's weaker, either. Gotta be so specific in order to get things across :/

Kind of like how onions have more DNA than humans, but are less complex?

I can agree to that. Wii U's are like onions.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

19. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

EDIT: Besides, it makes no sense why you would accept a completely blatant answer, but not how I came to that conclusion.
You don't solve a problem by not doing anything.

You said the Wii U is not more powerful than the other consoles. Multiple sources have confirmed this as well

Therefore I believe you, the Wii U is a weaker console. We're finally agreeing now!

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

20. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Damn I knew I should have responded to that post at the time to avoid confusion. Just because it's not more powerful, doesn't mean it's weaker, either. Gotta be so specific in order to get things across :/

Kind of like how onions have more DNA than humans, but are less complex?

I can agree to that. Wii U's are like onions.

Kinda, I guess. Xbox One and PS4 would be a radish. Those are pretty close to onions, right?

$¢@®³’²