Wii U Forum

Topic: What if Link is gender neutral?

Showing 201 to 220 of 324

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

201. Posted:

camerica1618 wrote:

Aviator wrote:

mamp wrote:

Unless Nintendo is ok with letting you have homosexual relationships (which they won't cuz they're kid friendly)

And gays aren't kid friendly?

No.

hahaha

Avi thank you for setting this up.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

202. Posted:

camerica1618 wrote:

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this.....I'll just make it simple. I believe it's wrong, and I don't think kids should be influenced by it. Inserting it into a beloved game franchise would give millions of children the wrong idea.

Thanks Cory Bernardi for your input into this discussion....

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

203. Posted:

skywake wrote:

camerica1618 wrote:

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this.....I'll just make it simple. I believe it's wrong, and I don't think kids should be influenced by it. Inserting it into a beloved game franchise would give millions of children the wrong idea.

Thanks Cory Bernardi for your input into this discussion....

Thumbs up for quality Australian reference.

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

204. Posted:

1618 stands for the year, right?

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Squid

205. Posted:

camerica1618 wrote:

I believe it's wrong, and I don't think kids should be influenced by it. Inserting it into a beloved game franchise would give millions of children the wrong idea.

Isn't that what they usually say about violence in video games?

Edited on by Squid

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

206. Posted:

camerica1618 wrote:

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this.....I'll just make it simple. I believe it's wrong, and I don't think kids should be influenced by it. Inserting it into a beloved game franchise would give millions of children the wrong idea.

You're wrong, though. It's not even my opinion that you are wrong. You are, in fact, wrong.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

207. Posted:

Squid wrote:

camerica1618 wrote:

I believe it's wrong, and I don't think kids should be influenced by it. Inserting it into a beloved game franchise would give millions of children the wrong idea.

Isn't that what they usually say about violence in video games?

It's also what they say about religion

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WitchSugoi

208. Posted:

I won't knock anyone on their beliefs (as long as they're reasonable), but frankly as someone that doesn't feel homosexuality is wrong I'm getting really tired of the option of same-sex relationships being gutted or taken off the table altogether from the games I want to play to appease those who I don't share the same values with. I think guns don't belong on the street, don't see me wanting video games to take guns off their fictional streets just because I think it's wrong.

You can't just cherry pick what actually influences someone or "gives them the wrong idea". If guns, violence, and gore doesn't turn children in sociopaths, then portraying same sex relationships won't suddenly change their sexuality (and if it does, it's likely they were already leaning that way to begin with). //forever pressed I can't marry Witch Princess in Harvest Moon DS

Edited on by WitchSugoi

Current playlist: Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call, Siesta Fiesta, Kirby: Triple Deluxe

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

209. Posted:

I'm amused that camerica unintentionally united everyone.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

210. Posted:

PrincessSugoi wrote:

I won't knock anyone on their beliefs (as long as they're reasonable), but frankly as someone that doesn't feel homosexuality is wrong I'm getting really tired of the option of same-sex relationships being gutted or taken off the table altogether from the games I want to play to appease those who I don't share the same values with. I think guns don't belong on the street, don't see me wanting video games to take guns off their fictional streets just because I think it's wrong. You can't just cherry pick what actually influences someone or "gives them the wrong idea". If guns, violence, and gore doesn't turn children in sociopaths, then portraying same sex relationships won't suddenly change their sexuality

I agree 100% but I think it's more about sales than anything else. Make a game that's ultra-violent or put scantily clad women in it and it'll create a controversy before disappearing off the shelves. Because guns a boobs sell across the spectrum. Have a same sex relationship in the game and it'll stir up a controversy in the same way sure. However it'll make the more progressive consumers go "meh, no big deal" and have the more conservative consumers getting out the pitchforks.

Same thing with religion in games or other media. At most it'll get some people not caring while another group rages about how horrible it is. I mean just look at the Fire Temple soundtrack from the original OoT. I doubt they even meant to make a statement and it still had to be removed because if offended both the Islamic and conservative Christian communities for entirely different reasons. So developers are better off just avoiding that sort of stuff entirely.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Oragami

211. Posted:

Jesus Christ lock this f***ing thread!

Also, it's nice to know that the "gay mafia" (Bill Maher's phrase, not mine) has overtaken NintendoLife.

I feel really bad for @camerica1618. Even though I don't personally agree with him, I applaud him for standing up and stating his beliefs when he knew this community would lash out at him, and frankly, no one should have to fear that. I understand why you were upset, but shame on you for lashing out. And if I get scolded for defending him, whatever. I did what I know is right.

I'm back into the Pokémon series.
Yeah, guitars are cool.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

212. Posted:

camerica1618 wrote:

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this.....I'll just make it simple. I believe it's wrong, and I don't think kids should be influenced by it. Inserting it into a beloved game franchise would give millions of children the wrong idea.

I disagree, neither side being straight or gay should have representation in any form of media where they are implying that there way is the only a balance needs to be struct that shows a kid that whatever sexuality they are is fine if it makes them happy in life because whats the point of pretending to be something you aren't.

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

213. Posted:

Oragami wrote:

I feel really bad for @camerica1618. Even though I don't personally agree with him, I applaud him for standing up and stating his beliefs when he knew this community would lash out at him, and frankly, no one should have to fear that. I understand why you were upset, but shame on you for lashing out. And if I get scolded for defending him, whatever. I did what I know is right.

If the responses to that post were in your eyes "lashing out" then wow. Go back and read the responses to that post:
1. Me jokinging suggesting the poster was infact Cory Bernardi
2. kkslider5552000 saying the comment was a bit backwards
3. SCAR saying "It's not even my opinion that you are wrong. You are, in fact, wrong"
4. Squid saying people say same thing about violence in games
5. Me saying the same could be said of religion, then pointing to the infamous Islamic Chants in OoT.

So again.... where was the overly harsh response? Because I didn't see it. Please, point to the bit where people were lashing out. The rest of the world shouldn't be treading lightly as to not offend the more conservative. Especially given how happy they are to offend people who are actually marginalised. Go read some comments under a news article even remotely close to this topic before you claim that someone saying someone else sounded a bit like Cory Bernardi was below the belt.

I mean I've been called much worse than that in this debate elsewhere on the internet. And I'm not even gay. I don't even really care that much either way TBH because it doesn't really impact me personally. I've defended a guy on twitter for standing up for himself on the more progressive side of this debate and I got more than an earfull. I can only imagine what a gay person gets and unlike me it's about them personally so how could they brush it off? I'm glad you're living in fantasy land here but.... Wow.... just wow... come down from the clouds...

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

214. Posted:

I'd also add that whenever anyone starts a thought with
"I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this....."

they shouldn't be shocked when they don't get a standing ovation

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SpookyMeths

215. Posted:

100 years from now, there's going to be Bill & Ted 3, where the two dudes travel back to the early 21st century and are utterly baffled that people would treat gays differently than they treat heterosexuals.

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

216. Posted:

I'm glad I stayed away from this topic as I don't care to read any of the comments. Can't believe this topic has this many comments though. I wonder what they could all be about?

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage
Avatar

arronishere

217. Posted:

Oragami wrote:

Jesus Christ lock this f***ing thread!

Also, it's nice to know that the "gay mafia" (Bill Maher's phrase, not mine) has overtaken NintendoLife.

I feel really bad for @camerica1618. Even though I don't personally agree with him, I applaud him for standing up and stating his beliefs when he knew this community would lash out at him, and frankly, no one should have to fear that. I understand why you were upset, but shame on you for lashing out. And if I get scolded for defending him, whatever. I did what I know is right.

Although this is a community I highly doubt they would go into say a pub, cafe, shop etc stating they believe homosexuality is wrong and regardless if they would do it in person or not ignorance should be challenged even if it's to point how stupid the belief two fictional gay characters of a different species wlil make kids gay. Even the mentality of "being gay is fine as long as it’s behind closed doors" is very damaging to people having seen what my gay family and friends have gone through in the past.

arronishere

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

218. Posted:

CaviarMeths wrote:

100 years from now, there's going to be Bill & Ted 3, where the two dudes travel back to the early 21st century and are utterly baffled that people would treat gays differently than they treat heterosexuals.

Well that's because by then, the powerful gay influence will have taken over us all.

Just reading this thread makes me wanna leave my girlfriend and hook up with a dude. Where all the sexy men at?

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

k8sMum

219. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

100 years from now, there's going to be Bill & Ted 3, where the two dudes travel back to the early 21st century and are utterly baffled that people would treat gays differently than they treat heterosexuals.

Well that's because by then, the powerful gay influence will have taken over us all.

Just reading this thread makes me wanna leave my girlfriend and hook up with a dude. Where all the sexy men at?

you are sooo right, alex. i have been happily married to my husband for 30 yrs but am starting to eye peach a wee bit differently now...ahOOOOOga!

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SpookyMeths

220. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

100 years from now, there's going to be Bill & Ted 3, where the two dudes travel back to the early 21st century and are utterly baffled that people would treat gays differently than they treat heterosexuals.

Well that's because by then, the powerful gay influence will have taken over us all.

Just reading this thread makes me wanna leave my girlfriend and hook up with a dude. Where all the sexy men at?

I know what you mean. After reading that issue of X-Factor where Shatterstar and Rictor kiss, I immediately dropped everything I was doing and went out and had myself a gay marriage.

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?