Wii U Forum

Topic: What if Link is gender neutral?

Showing 101 to 120 of 324

AuthorMessage

shaneoh

101. Posted:

arronishere wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

1. Well Ganondorf himself is one instance of reincarnation and he is also reincarnated in four swords. Also it was mentioned in SS that the battle between Link and Ganondorf is destined to continue for all time:

"Though this is not the end. My hate... never perishes. It is born anew in a cycle with no end! I will rise again! Those like you... Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero... They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!".

That was Demise, an example of reincarnation in Zelda resulting in a different character which could be applied to say a female Link:P

Link talking or not talking has nothing to do with his lack of personality, he just seems to go along with things for the sake of it. I never understood in Ocarina why he wasn't intrested in his parents when he was talking to the Deku tree.

Link never appears exactly the same except in direct sequels to a story, but there is still a strong physical similarity, just like there is a strong physical similarity between both Demise and Ganondorf. Also we encounter D at the end of his life, not knowing how much he would have physically changed since birth, and both have a habit of changing their physiology, who knows where that would eventually lead?

You do know the Deku tree was dying right? I don't think he had the luxury of telling Link his entire life story.

arronishere wrote:

Zelda games have a Link, a Zelda and Ganon (I believe he is the same throughout the series).

Already presented two instances of reincarnation on the villains part, OoT, and 4 swords. Still the same gender, same as Link and Zelda

Aviator wrote:

Give players the option.

Ugh no. That leads to Goku/Reggie/Batman/Every single videogame character for smash bros. If you want the option you should be making the game yourself and then you'll understand how truly difficult giving the people that option is. Also it sucks being required to play through a game a second time when you've missed a reasonably different portion of story due to picking a small aesthetic detail.

I'm out. In response to the thread title:
"What if Link is gender neutral?"
People will b&^%$ and moan especially when they get what they want. So don't give it to them.

Edited on by shaneoh

shaneoh

AuthorMessage

Aviator

102. Posted:

shaneoh wrote:

Ugh no. That leads to Goku/Reggie/Batman/Every single videogame character for smash bros.

When did I bring up Smash Bros? We're talking about Zelda.

shaneoh wrote:

Also it sucks being required to play through a game a second time when you've missed a reasonably different portion of story due to picking a small aesthetic detail.

There's no need to play it again. You get the same experience as both a male and female Link. We're not asking for the whole game to change, just the gender of the hero.

shaneoh wrote:

People will b&^%$ and moan especially when they get what they want. So don't give it to them.

Do you really think people will complain if given the option? Nobody is forcing them to play as a female. If they don't like it, play as a male.

You're just being an a**hole for the sake of it.

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

shaneoh

103. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Ugh no. That leads to Goku/Reggie/Batman/Every single videogame character for smash bros.

When did I bring up Smash Bros? We're talking about Zelda.

That's what happens when you give people the choice

Aviator wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Also it sucks being required to play through a game a second time when you've missed a reasonably different portion of story due to picking a small aesthetic detail.

There's no need to play it again. You get the same experience as both a male and female Link. We're not asking for the whole game to change, just the gender of the hero.

It's not as simple as changing the appearance and he to she. KotOR 2 story changes a bit depending on which character you pick

Aviator wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Do you really think people will complain if given the option? Nobody is forcing them to play as a female. If they don't like it, play as a male.

You're just being an a**hole for the sake of it.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/06/reggie_fils_aime_fan...

I accept what has been given me and I'm the donkey hole?

Finished. Done.

Edited on by shaneoh

shaneoh

AuthorMessage

Aviator

104. Posted:

shaneoh wrote:

Aviator wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

It's not as simple as changing the appearance and he to she. KotOR 2 story changes a bit depending on which character you pick

That's because KotOR 2 has a story beyond a hero stopping the villain.

Edited on by Aviator

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

Magikarp3

105. Posted:

This seems like an interesting idea. Link was supposed to be nothing but a player avatar after all, it's not like Link's gender particularly affects the story in any way. I think having a whole game avoiding gendered pronouns is a bit much though. You could always let the player select from he/she/they in the options menu (and not change Link's cosmetic appearance at all).

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

Usagi-san

106. Posted:

Jollykarp wrote:

This seems like an interesting idea. Link was supposed to be nothing but a player avatar after all, it's not like Link's gender particularly affects the story in any way. I think having a whole game avoiding gendered pronouns is a bit much though. You could always let the player select from he/she/they in the options menu (and not change Link's cosmetic appearance at all).

Where does Miyamoto say that Link was only ever meant to be a player avatar? I can't find the quote and I seem to recall him talking about Link's character changing at some stage compared to earlier games.

"I never swear, my lord, I say yes or no; and, as I am a gentleman, I keep my word." - D'artagnan in Twenty Years After

AuthorMessage

Magikarp3

107. Posted:

Usagi-san wrote:

Jollykarp wrote:

Where does Miyamoto say that Link was only ever meant to be a player avatar? I can't find the quote and I seem to recall him talking about Link's character changing at some stage compared to earlier games.

I believe it's a fairly old interview about the original NES game, when asked about where the name Link came from. (I checked it again and I can't find the source, I did find another origin for the name Link which isn't consistent with what I said before though). I admit that Link has taken more masculine characteristics in every game he's been in since the original, but hey, the WiiU title evokes the original where Link was as androgynous as Samus in armour was.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

Shiny_Sentret

108. Posted:

Uhh... guys- he is just wearing his water tunic. Duh. His hair is wet.

Most wanted Smash Bros. Characters as of right now:
1. Chrom
2. Bowser Jr. (Probabbly not going to happen, but it would be cool)
3. Sceptile (Same as above)
All the other characters that I have wanted were announced at E3...

AuthorMessage

Oragami

109. Posted:

Why is everyone making a big deal about Link being a boy, but nobody cares about Samus being a girl? It seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

I miss the Chrono series, and I wish Final Fantasy was back with Nintendo...
Yeah, guitars are cool.

AuthorMessage

unrandomsam

110. Posted:

Oragami wrote:

Why is everyone making a big deal about Link being a boy, but nobody cares about Samus being a girl? It seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

Hyrule Historia never lists offspring so how is it known he is male ? (Or even any kind of normal species.)

Could be the result of some kind of immaculate conception or something akin to Quickening in the Shannara series.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage

unrandomsam

111. Posted:

Or a function of the triforce to produce one Link and one Zelda when necessary. (Given it can do whatever it likes).

AuthorMessage

SkywardLink98

112. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

For me, personally, I'd much rather simply have the chance to play as Zelda herself for once. Her name has been on the box for 25 years now, but she's yet to have her own game?

How about we just give Link the title. I mean, Zelda literally slept through Zelda II.

There are no stupid questions, except for the ones that are.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage

Squid

113. Posted:

I personally don't care what gender Link will be, but it would be great if there were options for both or if their gender was left ambiguous. I think people worry too much about what gender a character is and don't realize how much it really doesn't affect the character/story, or at least for a character like Link I don't think it would. And this isn't Ubisoft, so it shouldn't be that hard for Nintendo to give the option of a female/androgynous Link.

Also, let me ask people to not use the word "it" when referring to a gender neutral person. That's highly impersonal and rude, please use "they/them/their", or in any real-life case, whatever pronouns the person prefers.

Edited on by Squid

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
Ze Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage

ClockworkMario

114. Posted:

Maybe Nintendo should do the whole game in Finnish. We don't have gender-specific pronouns :P

I don't think it'd be a wise choice to change his gender completely at this point. Maybe give the players a choice - Fire Emblem: Awekening pulled it off smoothly - but only if the plot doesn't suffer from it.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129 | Nintendo Network ID: Soon

AuthorMessage

unrandomsam

115. Posted:

ClockworkMario wrote:

Maybe Nintendo should do the whole game in Finnish. We don't have gender-specific pronouns :P

I don't think it'd be a wise choice to change his gender completely at this point. Maybe give the players a choice - Fire Emblem: Awekening pulled it off smoothly - but only if the plot doesn't suffer from it.

I think that would be absolutely perfect.

AuthorMessage

Alucard83

116. Posted:

People are here forgetting that Link can apear in first game as male but in others as female since he's reincarnated when he's needed. That was the story right? So he can be also a she. Nuff said

Alucard83

AuthorMessage

Dreamz

117. Posted:

Revelant article...

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Bayonetta, Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Wonderful101

AuthorMessage

arronishere

118. Posted:

That's actually a really sweet story.

arronishere

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

AuthorMessage

WhiteNoise17

119. Posted:

I just looked it up and there actually has been a Legend of Zelda that not only lets you choose the gender of you avatar but they aren't Link or Zelda they're the BS mascots. Its called BS The Legend of Zelda and its a remake of the original LOZ on the BS-X Broadcasting System and its not the only game in its series there are two more so its entirely possible for there to be a male and female hero in the series.

Majora's Mask 3D is coming and you know what that means? The Razor Sword is gonna return! ... and still be useless, eh whatever its gonna be in 3D.

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5449-8255 | Nintendo Network ID: Vigilante8

AuthorMessage

SomeBitTripFan

120. Posted:

I'll just say. Does it really matter? Yes, Link could feasibly be a woman, but does it matter so much? Link was right handed in both Skyward Sword and the Wii port of Twilight Princess. Did that make me feel more disconnected from Link because I'm left handed? No. This is my one question I have for female Zelda fans. Did the fact that Link is a male prevent you from enjoying or being immersed in any Zelda game you have played?

Also, if the choice to play as a male or female is given in a Zelda game and the Link of that game is referenced, how can they reference him/her? You couldn't call them the "Hero/Heroine of ______". You couldn't call them Link, since that isn't necessarily their name. The game could possibly read the data of the previous game and just insert Hero/Heroine that way, but what if someone hadn't played the previous game or a game data transfer was impossible period? What gender would Link be given? The gender stated would have to become the canon gender of Link in that game, making the entire reason that a choice was given almost invalid. Any game where the choice was given could not be referred to. For what purpose should all of this trouble be gone through if a consistently male Link isn't causing any real problems? It definitely has to be one way or the other. As for a female Link, it isn't equal to just reverse how the situation is being handled. If women are truly unable to enjoy a game because they can't play as a woman, why should they wish that men experience what the women are currently experiencing?

My Stance: If Link is going to be a guy in this game, let him be a guy. If Link is going to be a girl in one game, make there be a significant reason. The neutral option is just a hassle. Gender equality for the sake of doing it isn't productive, but using one gender or the other for an actual reason will result in a better product.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything truly valid about what I say; Please exercise both.
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan