Forums

Topic: What I do and don't like about Wii U

Posts 101 to 120 of 128

Chrno-x

Positive:
1. The Gamepad = continuation of the evolution of playing the games.
2. Better than Wii third-party support (honestly Wii didn't have good third party suport just like the GameCube)
3. Evolution of Internet services and no dumb Friend Codes (because Wii online functions are just horrible).
4. Still backward compatibility (for me it's one of the most important stuff especially in handhelds).
5. NFC - it can evolve into something really unique.

Negative:
1. The price (I don't believe in 250 Euro and Wii U isn't so powerful to pay up 300 Euro or more just because there's new gamepad, just like it was with the Wii).
2. Lack of processing power - Nintendo is talking that the difference of processing power between Wii U and the next PS and Xbox won't be so big like it was with the Wii but honestly I don't believe them (it shows even now when one gamepad is making downgrade of resolution on TV from 1080p to 720p).
3. Low battery life in the Gamepad - from 3 to 5 hour....for real? I'm gonna daily charging this ?! If they not gonna provide some lengthly cable to charging that stuff (like the play and charge cable to 360 controller) I'm gonna kick their .
4. Copy of X360 controller - it's not like the 360 controller is bad but god Nintendo you have good Classic Controller Pro for Wii why couldn't you make a revision of it with the rumble feature? Is it that hard?!
5. Miiverse as a main OS - It would be great if Nintendo make a blade dashboard like it was at the beginning of X360 life cycle but no, Nintendo must always do something way different (and mostly dumber) than the competition.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Nintendo "He with the best games wins"

3DS FC:
Wii FC: 7964-7540-9921-2263
MH3 ID: 12K3UQ name: Chrno
Gamertag: Chrno X360

ianh05

vonseux wrote:

ianh05 wrote:

What I like:
1.The Wii U Gamepad which offer brand new gameplay and experiences.
2.It's getting more third-party support.
3.It's trying to attract more hardcore gamers with more mature games.
4.The number of day one releases, plenty of variety.
5.Free online gaming.
6.Backwards compatibility with Wii games.
7.more ports, gives players the option to own their favourite games on Wii U (which will provide a new experience due to the gamepad).

[/div]

1. Wii did that
2. Wii did that
3. Wii did that
4. Wii did that
5. Wii did that
6. Wii did that (with GC games)
7. Wii did that

1.Wii didn't have this gamepad, this gamepad opens up more windows.
2.Wii hardly got any third party support compared to what the Wii U is going to get.
3.Weren't many, Wii U should get more due to controls being more suited to hardcore games.
4.Still a good reason to like a console.
5.See above.
6.See above.
7.See above.

ianh05

DonnyKD

"Chrno-x" wrote:

Positive:
1. The Gamepad = continuation of the evolution of playing the games.
2. Better than Wii third-party support (honestly Wii didn't have good third party suport just like the GameCube)
3. Evolution of Internet services and no dumb Friend Codes (because Wii online functions are just horrible).
4. Still backward compatibility (for me it's one of the most important stuff especially in handhelds).
5. NFC - it can evolve into something really unique.

Negative:
1. The price (I don't believe in 250 Euro and Wii U isn't so powerful to pay up 300 Euro or more just because there's new gamepad, just like it was with the Wii).
2. Lack of processing power - Nintendo is talking that the difference of processing power between Wii U and the next PS and Xbox won't be so big like it was with the Wii but honestly I don't believe them (it shows even now when one gamepad is making downgrade of resolution on TV from 1080p to 720p).
3. Low battery life in the Gamepad - from 3 to 5 hour....for real? I'm gonna daily charging this?! If they not gonna provide some lengthly cable to charging that stuff (like the play and charge cable to 360 controller) I'm gonna kick their .
4. Copy of X360 controller - it's not like the 360 controller is bad but god Nintendo you have good Classic Controller Pro for Wii why couldn't you make a revision of it with the rumble feature? Is it that hard?!
5. Miiverse as a main OS - It would be great if Nintendo make a blade dashboard like it was at the beginning of X360 life cycle but no, Nintendo must always do something way different (and mostly dumber) than the competition.

[/div]

Can I just point out a few things in this? Thanks...

"Nintendo is talking that the difference of processing power between Wii U and the next PS and Xbox won't be so big"

They said the power IN GENERAL won't be a big difference. The clock speed means jack.

"Low battery life in the Gamepad - from 3 to 5 hour....for real? I'm gonna daily charging this ?! If they not gonna provide some lengthly cable to charging that stuff (like the play and charge cable to 360 controller) I'm gonna kick their ."

Do you just look at article titles and not read what they're about? They already blatantly said that the Wii U GamePad comes with it's own charger. And how much higher in battery life can you get in a controller than runs about the same as the console with 720p?

"Copy of X360 controller"

No. Just no. Please, look up your sources...

"The price"

Oh, you know the price? Are you the Doctor or something? Please tell me, all powerful time-traveler!

"I don't believe in 250 Euro and Wii U isn't so powerful to pay up 300 Euro or more"

How the heck do you know about how powerful the Wii U is? And really? You're too cheap to spend the equivalent of $350 for something that's more powerful than the Wii, PS3, and 360?

"It would be great if Nintendo make a blade dashboard like it was at the beginning of X360 life cycle but no, Nintendo must always do something way different (and mostly dumber) than the competition."

Yeah, it's so DUMB to try to make a app where you can interact with other people and make new friends. Just make a lazy a** menu and call it a day!

As if Miiverse and the Xbox Dashboards have anything in common.

Sorry if I sound like a douche, but most of your complaints are really stupid.

Edited on by theblackdragon

DonnyKD

Ren

Anyone go to any of the "WiiU experience" events anywhere? Curious how it was.
i.e. has anyone played with it yet?
I'm going to one tonight in Chicago in case anyone cares about how it is in a hands on. I can't wait, but I have high hopes for it and I'm a little scared that I'll be dissapointed. It's hard to judge any games for a new system until you see them in motion, really.
I recently got a xbox 360 and my Wii hasn't been touched since, even though I'm a pretty massive Nintendo fanboy. I'm afraid they have massive catching up to do, so to win me back the online materials have to be top notch and build up fast. The other systems have SO MUCH online content it's kind of unbelievable if you got used to playing a Wii like I did. anyway, if anyone cares I'll come back here later and mention how it goes playing the thing.

Ren

Scollurio

Based on the information I have so far...

I DONT like:
o) compared to next xbox, ps, it will again be a weakling - no idea how much it will matter this time around though
o) the wii u gamepad, i still haven't seen any "must have" use for it
o) launch lineup is really poor, nothing learned from 3ds
o) launch WINDOW games so far, also really poor, still nothing learned from 3ds
o) zelda, metroid, mario kart, smash brothers - not to be seen for at least a YEAR!
o) seems like even more minigames and familyfriendly kiddy-content! ;(

What I DO like about the Wii U:
o) it's an alternative to xbox and ps
o) it's white (yes can be black too I know)
o) I like nintendo

Argh...
definitely NOT a day 1 buy on me, but I will keep an eye on it, but unfortunately, if more people think like me and launch is bad for them, there won't be much more 3rd party titles coming...

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5821-0423-7909 | My Nintendo: Scollurio | Nintendo Network ID: Scollurio | Twitter:

TheKingOfTown

What I like-
Will have the inevitable awesome Nintendo games

What I don't like-
That's probably the only thing I'll use it for

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

kyuubikid213

Scollurio wrote:

I DONT like:
o) compared to next xbox, ps, it will again be a weakling - no idea how much it will matter this time around though
o) zelda, metroid, mario kart, smash brothers - not to be seen for at least a YEAR!

o) I like nintendo

Argh...
definitely NOT a day 1 buy on me, but I will keep an eye on it, but unfortunately, if more people think like me and launch is bad for them, there won't be much more 3rd party titles coming...

[/div]

Absolutely none of your reasons are legitimate...at all.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

kkslider5552000

Scollurio wrote:

I DONT like:

o) I like nintendo

Argh...

every single negative and positive hurts my head. That's impressive in a way.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Scollurio

kyuubikid213 wrote:

Scollurio wrote:

I DONT like:

o) I like nintendo

Argh...

[/div]

[/div]

Absolutely none of your reasons are legitimate...at all.

How so?
The launch lineup doesn't have any killer app showing a gaming experience only possible on wii u, the gameplay is only really used for inventories, maps, and scanning stuff. Further It remains to be seen if switching between screens with your eyes really enhances gameplay or if it's just a bore. Don't get me wrong I'm all pro Nintendo, but im not blind. I said wii u will be less powerful than next box and ps, I guess we can all agree on it - how much it will matter none of us can say yet - so what's not legitimate about that?

3ds launch was bad - why? Price and hardly any killer apps. Could you imagin the bang if wii u launched with Mario kart or zelda?! See! It launches with nintendoland which is hopefully bundled and pikmin - which is played with remote and nun chuck!

I seriously don't get hat problem you have with my reasoning. And yeah - I like white and Nintendo - so what?

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5821-0423-7909 | My Nintendo: Scollurio | Nintendo Network ID: Scollurio | Twitter:

Scollurio

@kkslider5552000
See post above.

#supportindies

kyuubikid213

Scollurio wrote:

I DONT like:

o) I like nintendo

Response to Your Dislikes:
We don't know how powerful the Wii U will be just yet. Everything we've heard are just developers testing out their dev-kits the best way they know how at the beginning of a system's lifespan and with time and practice, we could possibly see better looking games on Wii U. Not to mention that this is current PS360 quality at the start of the cycle. That's in no way showing it to be a weakling. And on top of that, the amount of money to make the PS4/720 so much more powerful than Wii U to leave it behind would be astronomical and prices wouldn't be competitive of the final products.

Once again, this is the start of the system's lifespan, so developers with dev-kits are using the GamePad in ways that they know will work. Experiments come later when the system shows it can sell and be worth the money to invent some unique way to implement GamePad usage on certain games.

You mentioned the games three times. Firstly, the launch lineup is anything but poor. It is an incredible lineup especially for Nintendo-only gamers. Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed III, and Batman Arkham city are amongst the launch window titles. I consider those three alone "killer apps" for the system. Including the other great looking games such as Trine 2, Aliens, Scribblenauts, Lego City, ZombiU, and Tekken, you'd have to be pretty greedy for a better launch lineup. Zelda, Mario, and Metroid may be system sellers, but Pikmin 3 has been anticipated for a long time and I'm sure fans of the series will be gladly awaiting its return.

The family friendly content is still there to show parents that may be buying the system for their children that they can still trust Nintendo to have that kind of content. However, they are showing that they can appeal to more mature gamers with titles such as ZombiU, Mass Effect 3, and Assassin's Creed III.

Response to Your Likes:
As an alternative to Sony and Microsoft, there are many other platforms to choose from. You have PC, Mac, iOS, and even Ouya when it arrives.

Liking a system for it's color isn't bad, but when you make it seem as though it is the only redeeming factor for a system overall, it is a little ridiculous. It isn't like a Red Wii U is going to be any less than a White one. (Prepares to eat words as Nintendo prepares certain bundles based on system color...)

And you like Nintendo. Well, that's great, but what does it really have to do with the Wii U? Every game on it won't be a first party Nintendo title even though the system is made by them. This almost goes back to your disliking of the game selection so far. Are you only getting it for Nintendo titles and that's what you'll like? Or will you like the Nintendo titles more than others? The latter would make sense, but the former seems a bit weird.

That's why your reasons don't really make sense.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

Scollurio

@kyuubikid213
Thank you for taking your time to clarify your standpoint - let me do the same please.

I dont KNOW how powerful the Wii U or the PS and XBOX will be, but if those leaked documents about XBOX, speaking about as many as 8 processor cores or even more are anything to be believed, they are at least an indication, and even normal reasoning and thinking makes it obvious that the consoles coming out a year later, might be technically advanced - still I also said, I have no idea yet how big that "gap" just might be or how much of an impact it will really have, as long as games are still easily portable between platforms I guess it's no big deal.

I gave you a lot of MY personal reasoning what I like and dislike and yes you're right, it's the beginning of a console's life and developers still are not that fond of the functionality they can add with the gamepad, thats what I dislike, NOW, I didn't say I will never buy the WiiU. The only thing that hurts me is that I can understand the hesitation of adding the gamepad into your existing games for 3rd parties, I still don't get why there is no "OMFG thats only possible on WiiU" - gamepad-usage of Nintendo themselves who cooked that idea up on their own. And no, A Minigame collection where you can flick things around on a touchscreen doesn't count - been doing that on my iPhone long time ago.

About the games. Again I was seeing from my standpoint. I got a 360 here since day one (broke ridculous 4 times until now - dont ask...), a powerful self assembled "Republic of Gamers"-PC, a Nintendo 3DS, at the moment a borrowed Wii to see if I like it enough to get it at reduced price as Wii U draws near, and an iPhone 4. You see, I have seen every possible angle on gaming, and the games launching with WiiU are - FOR ME - mostly old things with gimicky gamepad usage. I understand though that for a PURE Nintendogamer they might be strong selling points, but I was giving you my personal reasoning.

About the alternatives to PS and XBOX, as you've just read, I DO have them, but you know what I am really craving for when buying Nintendo products? Mostly frustration free, relaxing gaming. After 2 decades of competitive gaming in beatemups (90's baby) and shooters (everything from Doom until now) I have enough. I rather jump around with Mario (and I just found out how fascinating galaxy is) and play my ever beloved Mario Kart before I get my ass handed by a 10 year old kid (no offense) in Call of Duty Clone 5000. Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh, but like you Nintendo-Only-Gamers crave for something else than your 1st party titles and minigames like Assassins Creed or Batman, I had enough already of all that, in a plethora of Variations, so I was hoping that the Wii U might bring something more revolutionary already at launch! I didn't write off the console just yet, I just won't get it until maybe a year into its life where I can play things like smash bros, zelda or a new big Mario Party with clever gamepad usage - the things Im originally buying a Nintendo console for and I won't get anywhere else.

And sure if the WiiU is any good, I'd get it regardless of color, still I got my borrowed Wii here, have it in my office where everything is white, and it looks wonderful, so yes I am glad that the WiiU offers the choice of having it in white.

Yes I like Nintendo and of course this has only to do with the Wii U because if I want to have the latest from Nintendo I should have a 3DS (my XL arrives today, yay) and a Wii U - which for my taste since the 1st party heavy hitters arrive does not differentiate itself too much from the other options I have. And yes as it is now I would like the 1st party titles better.

Really, I didnt want to get you at the wrong foot, but you have to imagine my gaming career as a long tedious decline. I loved the SNES days, then went to PC, loved point and click adventures that I could play in MY pace, I loved simultations like all the SIM and TYCOON games, I loved awesome strategy games like X-COM and Syndicate, .. after a while I went to the Gamecube (craving for Nintendostuff again) but got disappointed with its launch lineup (got it day 1) and sold it again and went XBOX, since then I had DS, DSi, then 360 and since a year I have a PC again. Now I can choose, even if the most good strategy games of the past are gone, some are still there and I enjoy them a lot (Civilization anyone?) and I'm just wondering, for a general wider appeal, where are THOSE things that actually would make lots of sense on the WiiU gamepad?

Anyways, Project Cars is coming to WiiU, and I am a teammember there (pay some cash, get early access and share your thoughts on forum) and I tell you, with that title, the ULTIMATE racing game is coming your way. Its in pre-alpha stage now and already better than any racing game I've ever played (and I played most of the major ones, not talking need for speed here...). Just as a side note.

I hope my reasoning is not THAT ridiculous to you anymore, but if it still is, I'm sorry, yet thankful that you responded to me in a mature way (which becomes kinda rare in here).

#supportindies

kyuubikid213

@Scollurio
I understand your reasoning now. Thanks for you clarification.

However, I still have to say that your low expectations of the GamePad at the start of the system's life is a bit odd. As of now, the only real model developers have that they know will work on Wii U is the DS/DSi/3DS model. Maps, inventory, and the like are all we are going to see out of the GamePad for a little while. Once the Wii U can show it's full potential in sales and show that it is worth experimenting, then we may see some unique uses. Until then, developing a title with a unique use that could possibly flop wouldn't be good for the developer or the system.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

Scollurio

Thanks for not being pissed at me, I really didnt want to step on anybodys toes. And I guess we both understand EACH other better now. And yes you're of course right about what you're saying about the gamepad, thats why I'll be waiting a bit and hope the WiiU has a good launch, I was just expecting that Nintendo themselves would've been experimenting with it lots a while longer already and wow us with something truly unique - already at launch! So lets wait for the best!

#supportindies

shingi_70

To be fair e en if the leaked specs about the xbox is tire not all of thar power will be going to games since its going to be designed and marketed as more than a gaming console.

For example current reports is that the 720 will Have 8 Gigs of ram. Thats way more than the 1.5-2GB that the Wii U will have. Problem is its probably going to be used like

4GB- All for Games
3GB- The OS the system is running
1GB- Kinect

And pricing wont be that much of a factor seeing there is a a high possibility of multiple SKU's including a few carried by cable companies and another for around $200 with monthly fees like a cellphone. That and I can I can see Microsoft taking a loss on the system early on to get the price to be $400 and $300 in stores. Of they do go all out with so many purchase methods they could be a force to be reckoned with.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

WebHead

I like:

• HD visuals
  • Web browser
  • GamePad
  • Wii U Menu
  • Miiverse
  • Multiple controller options
  • eShop

I dislike:

• GamePad battery life
  • occasional long load times
  • Lack of universal NN voice chat(Really Nintendo?)
  • It's a process to add friends

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

noname001

Epic bump is epic! Is this why the server crashed?

noname001

Yosh

Nitendnut wrote:

What I don't like about Wii U:

I can't play GameCube games (Yeah I know, Gamecube is two consoles backward, but I think it rocked
I won't be able to use my Wavebirds
I don't like that I will have to pay $300 or more for Wii U

What I do like about Wii U:

HD graphics Halieghlieuya!
The U controller
The Wii Backwards compatibility
That Wii U uses regular Wiimotes as controllers
That Wii U won't use that silly sensor bar.

First of all, a new next generation console is a steal for $300, you can't use your Wavebird because that is two generations back, next people are going to be complaining because they can't use their N64 and SNES controllers, and you can't expect a console to play games from two generations back, when other next generation consoles ( Playstation 4 & X- Box One) aren't even playing their previous generation games

Yosh

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3380-1583 | Nintendo Network ID: yoshisaredragons | Twitter:

Yosh

Reala wrote:

What I don't like, no must have games as yet revealed to me anyway, too many ports and unlikely to include a harddrive but think you can at least get one separately from what I understand, what I do like.... I'll get back to you on that one.

so Wind Waker HD qualifies as "ports"
I am sorry to hear you don't think Wonderful 101, New Mario 3D title, Mario Kart U, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros. 4, Sonic Lost World, Pikmin 3, and Yoshi's Epic Yarn aren't must have titles, then you aren't ever going to be satisfied.

Yosh

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3380-1583 | Nintendo Network ID: yoshisaredragons | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.