Forums

Topic: What GC VC games could look like if they were upscaled to 1080p

Posts 41 to 60 of 152

romulux

Trainer_DJ wrote:

I love HD, I have been watching HD material since around it first came out. However, I am surprised by how hyped up you guys are getting over it.

there's a big difference between HD as you see it on blu rays and TV and "HD" as you see it in video games. with movies and televison, HD just means a higher signal resoultion so that you get a clearer, more detailed picture. video games running in HD have this same advantage too, but they also have all of the polygons and textures rendered to an HD resoultion as well. it means the actual content of the game itself changes with the resolution. comparing a video game rendered to 480p to a video game rendered to 1080p is a far, far bigger jump than comparing a DVD to a blu ray.

i'ts not about just a few jaggies, it makes a huge difference in how much of the game world you're able to see and how many details you can appreciate while you play. again, just in case you're not convinced that it makes a difference....
RE4 in 480p:
Untitled

RE4 in HD: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Hdebrucxu74/S_Avr3szX6I/AAAAAAAADyY...

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

Hokori

To me HD seems like just a minor update, like all consoles go through. Like how the wii did from GCN, it's just PS3 and 360 did it higher, nothing more

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

The_Fox

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

To me HD seems like just a minor update, like all consoles go through. Like how the wii did from GCN, it's just PS3 and 360 did it higher, nothing more

Now you're just trying to be incongruous.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

kyuubikid213

I think what LordOtakuWiiU is trying to say is, while HD may improve the image quality of a game (and this is talking about upscaling, not making a game from the ground up in HD) it doesn't change the actual game. Using Resident Evil 4 as an example, if the game is fun in 480p, why would it being in 1080p or 720p make the game any better? There are games made in HD that may not work for one reason or another in 480p, but this thread is talking about upscaling games originally in 480p. Unless they made actual changes to the gameplay for the better, the picture resolution shouldn't hinder one's enjoyment. And if someone can't enjoy a game unless it is in 1080i, I am sad to say that I feel sorry for them.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Odnetnin

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

You have obviously never spent a decent amount of time with an HD system if you truly believe that. The demo at Target or Walmart for Uncharted 2 alone was enough to show me how huge of a gap there is between Wii and PS3. This is embarrassing, but when the cutscene ended and the gameplay began in the demo, I literally couldn't tell the difference so I died from not moving. Try naming one Wii game where that might happen to anyone.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

Bankai

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I think what LordOtakuWiiU is trying to say is, while HD may improve the image quality of a game (and this is talking about upscaling, not making a game from the ground up in HD) it doesn't change the actual game. Using Resident Evil 4 as an example, if the game is fun in 480p, why would it being in 1080p or 720p make the game any better? There are games made in HD that may not work for one reason or another in 480p, but this thread is talking about upscaling games originally in 480p. Unless they made actual changes to the gameplay for the better, the picture resolution shouldn't hinder one's enjoyment. And if someone can't enjoy a game unless it is in 1080i, I am sad to say that I feel sorry for them.

Gaming is an audio/ visual experience.

So, yes, the artistry of games, and the ability for developers to do more with games is directly enhanced by more powerful computers and graphics chips.

Limbo would have been impossible on any console but the PS3 and Xbox 360, for instance, simple as its artistic design is.

Hokori

kyuubikid213 wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

Exactly, I don't get why people are attacking me for liking SD, besides it's my...... GET READY FOR IT........ OPINION! I'm not trying to change your minds im just saying I don't think HD is all its cracked up to be, hey at least I'm not saying WOW HD now that the wiiU is out

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

DudeSean

I'm not saying it doesn't make the game look better. It clearly does. And it allows developers to put more on the screen without worrying about people not being able to see it. Even Miyamoto, who was against HD before, is embracing it with pikmin 3.

BUT, my point is, how good a game is does not depend on HD, or the number of polygons, at all. A bad game is still a bad game and a good game is still a good game. There's a lot of people that put way too much emphasis on resolution and polygons. And like I was saying, there are a plethora of good games that do not have a high resolution or lots of polygons. So it's already been proven to me that a game does not need those things to be good.

And, again, I don't have an HD tv, so HD is literally meaningless to me.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

romulux

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I think what LordOtakuWiiU is trying to say is, while HD may improve the image quality of a game (and this is talking about upscaling, not making a game from the ground up in HD) it doesn't change the actual game. Using Resident Evil 4 as an example, if the game is fun in 480p, why would it being in 1080p or 720p make the game any better?

HD does fundamentally change the way the game is rendered, to a point where it can change how you play. when you can see enemies and details clearly from a long distance it does enhance your ability to aim, or spot important objects much more easily. i have bad eyesight, and to me the difference between games rendered to SD or HD is the same as taking my glasses off and on. everyone should be able to agree that being able to see things is a plus.

i get your point. the thing that makes games fun is the way they play, not how they look, but you can't completely separate visuals from the rest of the experience as if they're a meaningless component. the art and visual design of a game have a huge impact on how fun it is to play. do you think the metroid prime games would be the same without that awe inspiring art direction and detail? and do you think the conduit would have sucked as badly if it had the same level of visual polish retro puts into their games, instead of repeating the same beige halls over and over?

gamecube games may have been created for a 480i/p resolution, but like i said, developers work at higher resolutions than the final product. there are still a lot of things in those games that are lost in SD. case in point- capcom sent teams of artists to spain to study architecture in preparation for resident evil 4. in the HD screenshot, you can see every nuance of their results in all its glory, while you can't even see half of the engravings and textures in the SD shot. all of that work and attention to detail is lost in blotchiness.

TL,DR version- art direction is a major part of the game and it gets severely compromised in SD. it doesn't matter if you still enjoy games in 480p, you'd enjoy them more in 1080p. i don't even really know what the argument is here... if GC games do show up on the wii u VC, is anyone really saying they want them in 480p instead of 1080p? is it that bad of a thing to be interested in getting better versions of these games?

Bankai

This is silly.

A child draws a picture of a house. The parents of that child love the picture of the house. They pin it on the fridge and tell the child that he/ she is a wonderful artist.

They're not going to go to an art gallery and demand the curator replace the Mona Lisa with their child's picture because "they don't care about graphics."

A powerful graphics chip allows for a deeper, richer visual experience. Games are audio/visual interactive experiences. To say that a game doesn't need a good art style is like saying a book doesn't need good grammar.

Some Wii games do have great art styles. Art style is a consequence of using the tools (graphics chips) well, not a consequence of those chips existing. However, the HD consoles are the equivalent of having a store room filled with art tools, rather than a small box of them (SD consoles) - with more tools you can do more things.

Can we stop this silly debate now? Anyone who is claiming graphics don't matter are deluding themselves, since I can guarantee that their favourite games have good graphics - Wii or HD, or any other console.

DudeSean

@LollipopChoSaw You do not understand what an opinion is. You know that? Art style has NOTHING to do with resolution.

DudeSean

Bankai

You do not understand what an opinion is. You know that? Art style has NOTHING to do with resolution.

Opinions and be unsubstantiated. And unsubstantiated opinions are still incorrect.

So for instance, the opinion that the world is flat is incorrect because the scientific evidence says that the earth is a giant golf ball.

Similarly, the opinion that art style and resolution are not related is wrong because the reality is that high resolutions enable art styles that standard definition is not capable of emulating.

This is provable. The fonts that many HD games use are illegible in standard definition. These are often great fonts.,

DudeSean

No. Hopelessly in denial.

DudeSean

Hokori

No one will change my mind, not even Nintendo, that alone should show where I stand as a Quote on Quote on Quote Fanboy as you put it

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

OptometristLime

It's more like: I'm outside seeing the world in color with all of its beauty and then noticing that you are standing inside a cardboard box looking at a picture of the world.

HD has the potential to bring a layer of beauty to your favorite video games, in a similar way to how 3D alters the way you see games in an arresting and meaningful way.

That's the best I can explain it.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Kaeobais

That image seems pretty flat to me.

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

romulux

this thread had a good run. now, it's got its blindfold on, smoking its last cigarette, just waiting for the black dragon to pull the trigger...

DudeSean wrote:

Art style has NOTHING to do with resolution.

they're very dependent on each other. the technical limits of a console dictate what styles can and can't be done on it. the reason so many wii games (red steel 2, ghostbusters, etc.) used a more cartoonish style than the other systems was to disguise the fact that it couldn't pull of realistic visuals.

one example- miyamoto talked about how HD had changed pikmin 3 so that they could use a more zoomed out camera position than before and still have the ability to see each pikmin. it allowed them to put more emphasis on the surroundings and include more nature in the game. the presentation and style changed because of the better technical abilities the system had.

there's no point in arguing any further. i was just trying to convince those of you who don't think HD makes a difference otherwise because most people on that side of the argument either haven't played HD games much or don't own an HDTV. once you actually do see the difference you'll understand that it's not as minor an enhancement as you think. feel free to have a different opinion, but you should at least have spent some time gaming in HD before arguing about it.

seriously... just look at these and tell me there wouldn't be any difference in the atmosphere or immersion between one or the other:
Untitled
Untitled

kyuubikid213

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

Gaming is an audio/ visual experience.

So, yes, the artistry of games, and the ability for developers to do more with games is directly enhanced by more powerful computers and graphics chips.

Limbo would have been impossible on any console but the PS3 and Xbox 360, for instance, simple as its artistic design is.

You want an audio/visual experience? Watch a movie. Games are about the interaction with the visuals and/or music.

I still don't think you understand where I'm coming from on this one... I'm not saying that downscaling a game like Limbo to 480p would make it better. I'm talking about upscaling GameCube games. If you took Metroid Prime and upscaled the graphics to 1080i, why would I enjoy that more than the original version? It's the same game with the same enemies, the same power-ups, the same bosses, the same story, the same world, and the same Samus. Simply upscaling to 1080i wouldn't improve anything but the look of the game.

And I know that developers can do more with a game if it has better technology, but it shows how skilled they are in art direction if they can make games look great even in a lower resolution. Take Xenoblade Chronicles for example. 480p and beautiful. Twilight Princess? Masterful artwork and engaging scenery. Monster Hunter Tri? Skyward Sword? Resident Evil 4? Super Smash Bros. Brawl? These are just a few great looking Wii games that are in 480p and what they were able to pull off in terms of graphics and overall content is incredible. And once again, if these games were just upscaled to 1080i, why would that make them any more enjoyable than they were in 480p?

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.