Wii U Forum

Topic: What does Nintendo have to lose by making the gamepad "optional"?

Showing 661 to 680 of 724

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyuubikid213

661. Posted:

I kept trying to find an opening to say somethng in this thread, but any point I would have made has already been said a thousand times. The thought of reworking the entire system to work with the Pro Controller is silly. And making a SKU without the GamePad would be equally ridiculous as future Nintendo titles will surely use this to their advantage as well as indies with unique ideas.

/thread

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mahe

662. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I kept trying to find an opening to say somethng in this thread, but any point I would have made has already been said a thousand times. The thought of reworking the entire system to work with the Pro Controller is silly. And making a SKU without the GamePad would be equally ridiculous as future Nintendo titles will surely use this to their advantage as well as indies with unique ideas.

Nintendo titles haven't used it to their advantage even now, and they are actually decreasing Gamepad implementation (see Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for a prime example).

It would be very easy to make a Gamepad-less Wii U with only software updates: just enable pointer or analog controls in settings and eShop, and expand them in the web browser. Add in a system-level information screen detailing that some games may require the Gamepad controller. It really isn't a big job. Next step: release that Gamepad-less SKU as a new console package.

Mahe

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

663. Posted:

Mahe wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Without the gamepad the Wii U loses its idenity! Nuff said!

Well, currently that identity is "a failed console with a stupid and clumsy battery-draining wannabe controller", so losing that identity would be a plus.

And who's to say the controller is the reason the system is failing. Lose the controller lose your identity period. Good or bad. Those people that don't think it's a good idea on the outside looking in will think even less of it if you dump it. They will say look see they had to take the controller out to try and sell that system. What losers!

Look Nintendo has been on a decline for over a decade now. The controller is not to blame. Nintendo is to blame. If not for motion control last gen then the Wii would've been a failer. They got a the casuals and that was a big market. Since the launch of the Wii things have change a lot and Nintendo is being even more left behind. Everyone know if you want good 3rd party games you need another console period. I will take whatever 3rd or 2nd party support I can get and be happy.

No replacing the controller won't change a thing but get Nintendo laughed at even more so. Nintento needs drastic change to appeal to the west again with console systems.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyuubikid213

664. Posted:

No offense, Mahe, but pretty much anything you say in this thread is invalid simply because you bring up how much you hate the GamePad in threads and topics that don't even come close to talking about that.

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

665. Posted:

@Spoony_Tech You will probably get flamed at some point for that post but it had a lot of truth in it.

I also feel that Nintendo needs to take the plunge and reinvent itself a bit with some new IP. It's always the same every console...Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong...I tend to think there's a large amount of gaming community that has seen this rehash every cycle as stale no matter how good the games are. It also wouldn't hurt Nintendo to make a title that could appeal more to the masses in the Western markets.

Guess I'm saying hardware might not be the only reason for this slump. Software, not only lack of 3rd party support, but Nintendo's either inability or nonexistent desire to create something new that doesn't have to bear the name of an old franchise may be hurting them.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

666. Posted:

wow, this is still going?
Untitled

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

667. Posted:

skywake wrote:

wow, this is still going?
Untitled

I see what you did there, you just wanted to be post 666 lol!

This topic was all but dead but the op wanted more then 15mins of fame! ;)

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mahe

668. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

No offense, Mahe, but pretty much anything you say in this thread is invalid simply because you bring up how much you hate the GamePad in threads and topics that don't even come close to talking about that.

So, because I as a Wii U owner really dislike the Gamepad and am vocal about it from both a personal as well as a general perspective, that makes the arguments themselves invalid?

That has gotta be one of the worst argumentative fallacies I've ever seen!

Mahe

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

669. Posted:

Mahe wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

No offense, Mahe, but pretty much anything you say in this thread is invalid simply because you bring up how much you hate the GamePad in threads and topics that don't even come close to talking about that.

So, because I as a Wii U owner really dislike the Gamepad and am vocal about it from both a personal as well as a general perspective, that makes the arguments themselves invalid?

That has gotta be one of the worst argumentative fallacies I've ever seen!

I think what he's trying to say is that you keep letting your personal Bias against the Gamepad cloud your judgment. Every single one of your arguments in this and other threads seem to hinge on "I don't like it therefore it is horrible for everybody".

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyuubikid213

670. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Mahe wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

No offense, Mahe, but pretty much anything you say in this thread is invalid simply because you bring up how much you hate the GamePad in threads and topics that don't even come close to talking about that.

So, because I as a Wii U owner really dislike the Gamepad and am vocal about it from both a personal as well as a general perspective, that makes the arguments themselves invalid?

That has gotta be one of the worst argumentative fallacies I've ever seen!

I think what he's trying to say is that you keep letting your personal Bias against the Gamepad cloud your judgment. Every single one of your arguments in this and other threads seem to hinge on "I don't like it therefore it is horrible for everybody".

Precisely. You're not so much " vocal about it from both a personal as well as a general perspective" as you are just constantly saying it's bad without really backing it up.

Here are a few examples...

Mahe wrote:

Nintendo just needs to make better consoles and games. No mandatory Gamepads or Wind Waker HDs as "flagpole releases", please.

Ubisoft games obviously still sell on the "dying" Wii. But the Wii U with its awkward Gamepad controller is just an unappealing platform.

This is pretty neat! Played Onslaught Defense and it wasn't bad at all. And zero Gamepad required!

People have more confidence in PS4 than Wii U or Xbone. Best of all, it doesn't come with a Gamepad or a Kinect!

Better focus on making that failed Gamepad a priority, Nintendo! That'll surely help!

Increased Gamepad focus was terrible news. Iwata was spouting sheer idiocy.The Gamepad is just implemented and force-fed upon the Wii U and its users so poorly. Make it an optional accessory? That's alright. Force it upon everyone when there's no real need or benefit? Not cool.

Would likely buy if it works without a Gamepad.

This is awesome! Playing on the Gamepad was the worst fault of the game...

All of these comments are yours and in every one of them, you tear into the GamePad without any real backing as to why

The one comment where you sort of do only proves that you never liked the thought of the GamePad to begin with

Mahe wrote:

Initially, I was cautiously optimistic about the Gamepad. It wasn't what I wanted, but I did want a Wii U for its games like New Super Mario Bros. U, Nano Assault Neo and Mighty Switch Force HD, so I also wanted to give the Gamepad a fair chance, playing different Nintendoland minigames, trying out Off-TV Play and so on.

Unfortunately, it just didn't work out. The Gamepad turned out to be more of an obstruction to gameplay enjoyment than an aid to it. Nintendoland and most other Gamepad games weren't very good. Off-TV Play on a tiny, smudgy screen is not worth the effort. If I can't use the primary TV, I'll do something else instead. The Gamepad also has a slight control lag compared to other controllers like a Wiimote. And having the Gamepad forced on you in several games and even apps like the web browser and eShop quickly became a burden. My initial optimism about the Gamepad died out and was replaced by ever-growing disdain.

All is not lost, though. There are loads of Wii U games that can be played without the Gamepad, from Nintendo titles like New SMB U and New Luigi U to third party efforts like Just Dance and Trine 2, as well as great retro-styled games like Mighty Switch Force and the whole of the Virtual Console lineup, slim as it may be compared to the original Wii. Some apps like Miiverse can be used completely without the Gamepad, and some partially, like the web browser.

even sparks the question of why you would want the Wii U knowing the main controller, the GamePad, would be most supported throughout the system's life.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

671. Posted:

@kyuubikid213 Untitled
You came prepared.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

672. Posted:

http://www.retrocollect.com/Articles/hot-button-topics-ninten...

Good read. Plenty of people will disagree with it but it's good still.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

673. Posted:

skywake wrote:

wow, this is still going?
Untitled

Dibs on post 999 if we get there.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Toad

674. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

skywake wrote:

wow, this is still going?
Untitled

Dibs on post 999 if we get there.

Dibs on 1000.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack.....it's important.
Toadloggery and a Youtube Channel
Retro Clue!
Games are games ppl. Enjoy 'em.
Remember N64 Turoks? Want it on VC?
I gave in to darkness to have this bio.
Net neutrality is dead. Pls use revive.
Bad day? listen to this.

3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Shirma_Akayaku

675. Posted:

For me, I don't know where I stand on this debate. I like the convenience that comes with off-TV play, but I don't see it as an enhancer to gameplay.

WIFI Game List:
Mario Kart 8
Mario Kart 7
Mario Golf: World Tour + DLC
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:
SSB4 (both) + Wii U GameCube Adapter + Controller
Mario Maker
Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors

Mii Name: Shirma / Gil

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

676. Posted:

Nintendo did not utilize the game pad with DK: TF, which means that they're not interested in the game pad.

Except that:

LEGO City Undercover uses the game pad
Super Mario 3D World uses the game pad
Nintendo Land uses the game pad
Zelda: WW: HD uses the game pad
Wonderful 101 uses the game pad
Pikmin 3 uses the game pad
NSMB U and New Super Luigi U uses the game pad
Wii Fit U uses the game pad
Wii Party U uses the game pad
Game & Wario uses the game pad
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games uses the game pad
Wii Karoke U uses the game pad
Wii Sports Club uses the game pad
Pokemon Rumble U uses the game pad

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AJ_Lethal

677. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

http://www.retrocollect.com/Articles/hot-button-topics-ninten...

Good read. Plenty of people will disagree with it but it's good still.

I actually like it.

deviantART

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

678. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

Nintendo did not utilize the game pad with DK: TF, which means that they're not interested in the game pad.

Except that:

LEGO City Undercover uses the game pad
Super Mario 3D World uses the game pad
Nintendo Land uses the game pad
Zelda: WW: HD uses the game pad
Wonderful 101 uses the game pad
Pikmin 3 uses the game pad
NSMB U and New Super Luigi U uses the game pad
Wii Fit U uses the game pad
Wii Party U uses the game pad
Game & Wario uses the game pad
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games uses the game pad
Wii Karoke U uses the game pad
Wii Sports Club uses the game pad
Pokemon Rumble U uses the game pad

The thing is does it mean that everything is so easy that input lag or not the gamepad doesn't matter but because Donkey Kong is of a more traditional difficulty then they had to do that. (Must be a reason they didn't do anything and I suspect they won't say in interviews).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

679. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

http://www.retrocollect.com/Articles/hot-button-topics-ninten...

Good read. Plenty of people will disagree with it but it's good still.

I wasn't going to read because it is long but people are saying it is good so I gave it a chance.
great article the only part I disagree is that phrase in the beggining "going south" it makes it seem like south is something bad.........

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

680. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

Nintendo did not utilize the game pad with DK: TF, which means that they're not interested in the game pad.

Except that:

LEGO City Undercover uses the game pad
Super Mario 3D World uses the game pad
Nintendo Land uses the game pad
Zelda: WW: HD uses the game pad
Wonderful 101 uses the game pad
Pikmin 3 uses the game pad
NSMB U and New Super Luigi U uses the game pad
Wii Fit U uses the game pad
Wii Party U uses the game pad
Game & Wario uses the game pad
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games uses the game pad
Wii Karoke U uses the game pad
Wii Sports Club uses the game pad
Pokemon Rumble U uses the game pad

I think the problem isn't that games don;t use it, but there aren't any games that actually need it other than Nintendoland and the uses aren't that inventive. However on the flipside we'd be complaining how the gamepad kills the pro controller if they really used it to its full potential. Bluntly put Nintendo is in a no win situation with the gamepad.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Sorry, this topic has been locked.