Wii U Forum

Topic: What does Nintendo have to lose by making the gamepad "optional"?

Showing 641 to 660 of 724

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

641. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

$300 for a PS3 that's bundled with a game and 12 months of PS Plus is still a good value in 2014 because the PS3 has a fantastic software library and great features. That console is 8 years old this year.

Price is simply not the issue. Value is. Nintendo just needs to work on increasing the value without cutting the price. Removing features and items from the box devalues the product. To win people over, they're going to need this QoL stuff for the casuals, Zelda and Smash and Metroid and whatever for the dedicated fanbase, and a unified account system and 3rd party support for the hardcore gamers.

Nintendo has always been great with software bundles. It allows them to hit a wide variety of demographics without cutting the price or removing features. Bundles would still work for them now if only they had the software to back up the hardware. Really, they should just do a bundle with every major game release. There should be a Donkey Kong bundle, a Mario Kart bundle, a Smash bundle, even an X bundle.

People were used to paying $200 for Wii for a long time. It sold well at that price after the motion fad had died down.

Of course price is the issue. 3DS wouldn't have been saved just by games, they had to cut the price too. A HW bundle to target non-shared television fits right in with what you are saying.

A $200 barebone HD Wii with BC is a great value for the people who played a bunch of Wii games.

1) the Wii also had a huge line up of games by the time the motion fad died down.
2) the 3DS had the double hitter of 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 right after the price drop
3) outside of backwards compatibility, what value does the Wii U hold for a Wii owner? Why did you even bother singling them out? The Wii U is not an HD Wii. It's not going to magically upgrade Wii games to 1080p. It's a new console.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

642. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

RoryLee wrote:

I'm just wondering if he's using the Gamepad to post on this thread?

I tried but text entry is not that easy as with a key board or an iphone.

But anyway I feel I have made vastly superior arguments as whey this makes sense and the arguments against tend to not really address why it would be bad for business to do this. No one can predict Nitnendo and this is my first time trying so we will see. Kart or Smash I think.

I have a WAY easier time using the GamePad versus a phone. Phone screens are small and there isn't a stylus, so that's entirely reliant on opinion. You can still use a keyboard anyway, but it's easier to have it all in one place. I think it really depends on the screen size and stylus support.

You THINK you've made a superior argument, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't agree, because otherwise it would have been optional in the first place, and basically isn't the goal they have with their console.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

643. Posted:

The wii u is backward compatible with all wii accessories pretty much yet it plays the newest releases in hd.

That can be attractive at 50% the cost of a ps4 that is not backward compatible and forces you to buy new expensive controllers and who's graphics have yet to be too much more impressive than ps3

Wii u also offers a solid traditional controller for those who didn't like the motion control and wiimote nunchuck

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

644. Posted:

It wasn't optional in the first place because this was the gimmic to sell the console. It has failed at being that. A price drop is more important now than requiring the gimmic because the console has been struggling.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

645. Posted:

My problem typing on the gamepad is that the key board is to big and you have to tap type. A smaller keyboard where you type with your two thumbs is far more efficient for most people.

And why do people continue to insist I despise the gamepad? I love it and would pay an extra $100 for it. The frequency that it is assumed I hate is a tell of how weak the opposing argument is.

It's all about how great the gamepad and blindly ignores mountains of evidence of how this would be a no lose move for Nintendo to make when kart or smash launch.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

646. Posted:

So I guess I addressed all your fears and made my point.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

647. Posted:

No, people realized they have a life and trying to convince someone that even though this might happen it's the wrong thing to do is a waist of time! Go live life a little and play those games you enjoy!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

648. Posted:

Actually they failed to convince me because a valid point has not been brought up of how it's a bad move for the success of the console

Every attempt to do so dropped a bunch of platitude and non sequiturs that I countered with cold hard logic

1. The gamepad has failed to capture attention
2. Most games don't need it
3. They need to cut the price to boost sales.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

649. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

I think it has to do with the fact most people no longer care to discuss with you and once again its has nothing to do with fear but practicality.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

650. Posted:

Without the gamepad the Wii U loses its idenity! Nuff said!

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Tech

AuthorMessage

GuSolarFlare

651. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Actually they failed to convince me because a valid point has not been brought up of how it's a bad move for the success of the console

Every attempt to do so dropped a bunch of platitude and non sequiturs that I countered with cold hard logic

yeah your logic is flawless and perfect, you should take over Nintendo because Iwata isn't good enough when put next to you!!!!!!!!
ok now I've said what you wanted to hear let's forget this thread for all eternity PLEASE!!!!!

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

652. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

You don't cut essential features simply for the sake of a quick buck, though. You just don't. And you still won't touch upon what the appeal of the console is supposed to be without it. It's cheap, but it still doesn't have the overall value that other consoles at a similar price point have, so what reason do people have to buy it now that you took out the main differentiator?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

653. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

And people like @skywake poked holes and produced counter arguments too your cold hard logic.

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

AJ_Lethal

654. Posted:

You know, it's said the easiest way to lose an argument is by declaring yourself the winner.

Edited on by AJ_Lethal

deviantART

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

655. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Everyone has pointed out how bad this idea would be and your counter-point was normally, "that is off topic" or "that doesn't affect what I am talking about."

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

656. Posted:

Yeah you just can't do it is not a valid counter argument

The I like the gamepad is not a valid argument.

That's all I have really seen and if you think that pokes holes in the idea of this being something that can boost wii u sales hw and sw then you just need to take off the blinders and put on your critical thinking cap.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

AJ_Lethal

657. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Yeah you just can't do it is not a valid counter argument

The I like the gamepad is not a valid argument.

That's all I have really seen and if you think that pokes holes in the idea of this being something that can boost wii u sales hw and sw then you just need to take off the blinders and put on your critical thinking cap.

You still have to tackle the issue of advertising or the lack of a killer app, which you willfully omit/dismiss to the background.

Chopping off the gamepad to an option (and patch/redesign a lot of crap) for a quick buck is not the solution; is just a temporary patch.

deviantART

AuthorMessage

dumedum

658. Posted:

Without the Game Pad, the Wii U is worthless just like in my opinion the Wii without the Wii Remote/nunchuk or the Game Cube without its controller. The controllers really are the main appeal to me. Playing the games I played with another controller would lose the appeal. If it was optional, nobody would bother to support it, including Nintendo (see the number of games they made for use with Wii Speak... or even the Balance Board... not enough) which means the games would be no fun like a regular console.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

659. Posted:

I don't need my left hand. Ill get rid of it as it's just getting in the way. Makes things more simple! ;-)

MERG said:

Words to live by!!

Tech

AuthorMessage

Mahe

660. Posted:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Without the gamepad the Wii U loses its idenity! Nuff said!

Well, currently that identity is "a failed console with a stupid and clumsy battery-draining wannabe controller", so losing that identity would be a plus.

Mahe

Sorry, this topic has been locked.