Wii U Forum

Topic: What does Nintendo have to lose by making the gamepad "optional"?

Showing 61 to 80 of 723

AuthorMessage
SCAR392

SCAR392

61. Posted:

@blaisedinsd
It doesn't even matter. They won't make it optional, period.

You might as well ask Nintendo to drop the price of the current Deluxe SKU to $250.

EDIT: According to them, neither will happen, so you and many others are beating a dead horse.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

62. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Also, unless it's as cheap as the 3DS, I fail to see how the lower price point would suddenly make the biggest difference.

I am not thinking it would reverse their fortunes in the " console wars" and put them on top. I just think it may help and that it wouldn't hurt.

Sure, their may be some confusion for consumers, but if they walk in to a store wondering what's the difference between the two it's an opportunity to explain what the gamepad does and why they want it. At least at that point they are learning about the wii u and probably about the gamepad for the first time. Is it worth an extra $50 to them or not? Well it allows ease of use, off tv play, and some games can only be played with 2 screens. Sounds cool. Oh, I just want to play kart and smash I'll pass. Either way is a good thing. Just doing this will likely create buzz and talk about a console many people don't even know exists as well as talk about its big unique feature.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000

63. Posted:

Sure, it might but I dunno. I just can't see a lot of people caring and I'd be annoyed at how much it goes against what they literally just said about wanting to focus more on the Gamepad.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
SCAR392

SCAR392

64. Posted:

"The GamePad is awesome, but you have to buy it separately!" = fail

How's my math, now? ;)

EDIT: Alternatively:
Wii U - GamePad = facepalm

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000

65. Posted:

I mean if Nintendo was like "yeah, the Gamepad doesn't matter to most people, that's ok" and that's the direction they were going with it (so essentially the 2DS) it would make sense but Nintendo needs focus on what they want to do with Wii U. And I didn't realize this until right now, but I just thought of how dumb it was to initially do very generic, casual-like marketing for Wii U when basically every game at launch outside of Nintendo was meant to specifically be hardcore. Which is why they're clearly taking the health-based casual gaming to this QOL thing. Which means their marketing is based on having actual focus instead of trying to appeal to everyone ever since that often backfires and no one ends up happy.

Seriously, the more I think about, the less this ideas fits at all with what Nintendo is trying to do. And yeah you can say, "it COULD help" and it could, that's certainly not impossible but it doesn't fit and there's not some huge benefit that's worth the risk.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
xThomas

xThomas

66. Posted:

I really don't understand the reason the Gamepad isn't only required for SOME games, the same way wiimote, or Nunchuk, or gamecube controllers worked for a lot of games,

Because the thing is I DONT want to pay for the Gamepad. I'm being forced to use the Gamepad if I buy a Wii U. The Wii U is so crazy it doesn't even work if you don't have one.
Also,a Wii U NEEDS an account system. Can't go digital without real account system. I'm not buying a wii u paying a ton of money and losing it all because it's tied to hardware.

What Nintendo has to lose is perhaps part of the so called core fans, and presumably a LOT of work that's already gone into games.

xThomas

AuthorMessage
blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

67. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

"The GamePad is awesome, but you have to buy it separately!" = fail

How's my math, now? ;)

EDIT: Alternatively:
Wii U - GamePad = facepalm

Maybe this belongs a different thread because I don't see how it applies here. Not one time did I suggest forcing people to but the gamepad seperaterly.

I don't see why people can't seperate the idea of dropping the gamepad from the idea of offering an option of a lesser version of the console to those who want it. Offering that version in no way means they can not follow all their strategies of making the gamepad more compelling or that they can't push the gamepad as a feature to sell consoles.

Their is no risk. I still haven't seen anyone articulate what risk Nintendo would be taking on by doing this. The gamepad becoming irrelevant is a fear I hear being voiced, but that's not a risk. If doing this makes the gamepad irrelevant than the gamepad needs to be dropped and keeping it is the mistake. Wouldn't you agree?

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000

68. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Their is no risk. I still haven't seen anyone articulate what risk Nintendo would be taking on by doing this. The gamepad becoming irrelevant is a fear I hear being voiced, but that's not a risk. If doing this makes the gamepad irrelevant than the gamepad needs to be dropped and keeping it is the mistake.

The risk that they would confuse their customers again. And yes, consumers have already gotten confused for far less than trying to explain why they should bother with the Gamepad Wii U even though they have a much cheaper console without it even though their games are focused on the Gamepad in their own advertising. Yes that would likely happen, even if Nintendo did everything they could to prevent it.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
SCAR392

SCAR392

69. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Wouldn't you agree?

Is this a rhetorical question? Just kidding. This question is rhetorical.

That's how ridiculous this thread is. Same thing goes for all doubts, doom n' gloom, etc. BS that has already been clarified, on numerous occasions.

EDIT: For the record, you might as well ask Sony to include the PS Eye and Move, no?

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

70. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Their is no risk. I still haven't seen anyone articulate what risk Nintendo would be taking on by doing this. The gamepad becoming irrelevant is a fear I hear being voiced, but that's not a risk. If doing this makes the gamepad irrelevant than the gamepad needs to be dropped and keeping it is the mistake.

The risk that they would confuse their customers again. And yes, consumers have already gotten confused for far less than trying to explain why they should bother with the Gamepad Wii U even though they have a much cheaper console without it even though their games are focused on the Gamepad in their own advertising. Yes that would likely happen, even if Nintendo did everything they could to prevent it.

Nintendo wii u "starter set". Plays wii u games with out gamepad specific features ( Nintendoland, Game and Wario, Zombi u, Lego city undercover, wii party u, and titles marked "gamepad required" can not be played with out a gamepad).

Put that on the box, put out some press info, and your done. Put a pamphlet that list the 5 games that require a gamepad (did I miss any?). Heck you can publish the entire game library in a pamphlet showing which games require the gamepad

Heck, they should probably get the wii off the shelves too instead of adding the wii mini to the mix.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Csaw

Csaw

71. Posted:

I didn't bother reading every single reply so I don't know if someone has already mentioned this but from what I read it seems you want to make the GP optional. The problem with optional controllers is that they are almost always underutilized. How many games use Wii motion+? The circle pad pro? the classic controller? Even 3d is being underutilized, since Nintendo said they had to change a link between worlds to compensate for 2ds owners. If the gamepad became optional it would never be used in a significant way ever again, not even by Nintendo.

Then as other people have mentioned making it optional basically means all the wii u is is an underpowered PS4/XBOne or a PS3/360 with a really small library of games. Not saying the gamepad is a great selling point but at least it makes the wii u stick out instead of seeming like a really generic console.

Csaw

AuthorMessage
skywake

skywake

72. Posted:

tl;dr

Seriously though, there are way more negatives than positives:
Negatives:

  • The Wii U loses its built-in keyboard
  • It loses the easy menu navigation both in and outside of games
  • It loses off-TV play which is quite a draw in and of itself
  • It loses any game that relied on touch screen input from Murphy in Rayman Legends to Little Inferno
  • New users are no-longer creating art on MiiVerse
  • It loses any potential 3DS or DS support on the Virtual Console
  • Finding out what games work and what ones don't becomes a nightmare for new users
  • It loses one of its main differentiating features

Positives:

  • Either $30 less on the ticket price or a $30 higher margin....... maybe less if it's Wii Mote + Nun-chuck rather than Pro Controller

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
xThomas

xThomas

73. Posted:

Well, the biggest problem with Wii U is the lack of killer apps. If the Gamepad isn't awesome on its own, what about the NES zapper?

xThomas

AuthorMessage
OptometristLime

OptometristLime

74. Posted:

Seriously. It feels like Bankai is back to haunt Nintendo Life.

Nothing against the guy, but he could really make you scratch your head.

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy

75. Posted:

skywake wrote:

tl;dr

Seriously though, there are way more negatives than positives:
Negatives:

  • The Wii U loses its built-in keyboard
  • It loses the easy menu navigation both in and outside of games
  • It loses off-TV play which is quite a draw in and of itself
  • It loses any game that relied on touch screen input from Murphy in Rayman Legends to Little Inferno
  • New users are no-longer creating art on MiiVerse
  • It loses any potential 3DS or DS support on the Virtual Console
  • Finding out what games work and what ones don't becomes a nightmare for new users
  • It loses one of its main differentiating features

Positives:

  • Either $30 less on the ticket price or a $30 higher margin....... maybe less if it's Wii Mote + Nun-chuck rather than Pro Controller

Don't forget that users with password lock accounts can't log in anymore! :P

Umm… Care to have some gravy?

AuthorMessage
kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000

76. Posted:

OptometristLime wrote:

Seriously. It feels like Bankai is back to haunt Nintendo Life.

Nothing against the guy, but he could really make you scratch your head.

Nah, Bankai was far more self-important but ultimately (usually) more intelligent.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
OptometristLime

OptometristLime

77. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

OptometristLime wrote:

Seriously. It feels like Bankai is back to haunt Nintendo Life.

Nothing against the guy, but he could really make you scratch your head.

Nah, Bankai was far more self-important but ultimately (usually) more intelligent. [Than his critics.]

True.

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths

78. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Nintendo wii u "starter set". Plays wii u games with out gamepad specific features ( Nintendoland, Game and Wario, Zombi u, Lego city undercover, wii party u, and titles marked "gamepad required" can not be played with out a gamepad).

Do you honestly see no risk in Nintendo deciding to release a console that doesn't full work right out of the box?

What is this ominous light that threatens to engulf me?!

AuthorMessage
blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

79. Posted:

Csaw wrote:

I didn't bother reading every single reply so I don't know if someone has already mentioned this but from what I read it seems you want to make the GP optional. The problem with optional controllers is that they are almost always underutilized. How many games use Wii motion+? The circle pad pro? the classic controller? Even 3d is being underutilized, since Nintendo said they had to change a link between worlds to compensate for 2ds owners. If the gamepad became optional it would never be used in a significant way ever again, not even by Nintendo.

Then as other people have mentioned making it optional basically means all the wii u is is an underpowered PS4/XBOne or a PS3/360 with a really small library of games. Not saying the gamepad is a great selling point but at least it makes the wii u stick out instead of seeming like a really generic console.

I hear what you are saying, but then ask yourself if right now is the gamepad being under utilized in the majority of wii u games? It is currently underutilized, do you really think it's under utilization could get even worse? Going forward I don't think making it optional will effect how much software support it gets much one way or the other. The current 6 million install base is the likely the owners who will buy the most software moving forward anyway.

The rest of your points assume the wii u with no gamepad has replaced the gamepad model as the majority. I don't think that would be the case, but if it was that's just evidence that they made the right move for the console from a business stand point.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
ogo79

ogo79

80. Posted:

they need to make it optional

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Sorry, this topic has been locked.