Wii U Forum

Topic: What does Nintendo have to lose by making the gamepad "optional"?

Showing 401 to 420 of 724

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

401. Posted:

I still don't understand why anyone would want a Wii U without the Gamepad. Just get a PS3 or a 360 if you have to have a cheap Game system. Sure it won't have Nintendo games, but if you just want certain games, then the price isn't the issue (most people like that would simply save up), nor is the gamepad since those certain games are going to utilize the Gamepad in some way, if not require it. You're paying less to get less. Unless you're desparate, that's not what most people want.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

402. Posted:

4. Regarding not working 100% out of the box and the brand image. I understand these points and agree these are reasons that Nintendo might not do this or at least will resist longer than Microsoft with their add on. This is a huge point for you guys if we are discussing the probability of the prediction. I am more focused on whether or not it makes sense from a business perspective and whether or not anyone would be angry or have a right to complain.

It may make more sense to brand the games that are incompatible with out a gamepad and then I think much of your complaints have less relevance. You can call them 2S required or just label them that require a gamepad, it's not that many games that are going to fall in to this sub-library and if Lego City wants to patch in order to be patched than the publisher can patch it if they think it's wort it. I understand this move is unprecedented but we have never had a console include an expensive required add on before wii u and xbone that I am aware of. If this strategy backfires, at it clearly has with the Wii U at this point, this strategy of making it optional is about the only thing that allows a course correction. Clearly it's not ideal, but with the way the console is struggling and a 33% cost increase due to the add on and the way the core titles that make the system appealing don't use or need the add on, I think you need to do it at some point. If the Wii U was selling great you don't need to do this, it's a strategy to take once you realize the add on is hurting the console more than it is helping. I think at this point that is clearly the case with the gamepad, it has hurt the Wii U more than it helps. Please don't bother to claim that price is not the issue, Wii U would have better sales if it was $100 cheaper with no GP since launch. It would be doing better as simply Wii HD and selling BC and controller compatibility and new HD wii games. It would be doing better reminding people what they loved about the Wii and saying this console does all that and more and does it better. This would have done even better before Wii's last 2 years where it wasn't getting much games and it's brand image took a hit. Now selfishly I am sure glad for the GP because of OFF TV play and Nintendoland is tons of fun for multi-player (but was not a system seller), but overall I think the Wii U has plenty of appeal as an HD Wii. Make the HD a clear selling point, make a before and after on NSMBwii and NSMBU and stress the value. Show how COD looks great compared to the other consoles and how PS4 version hardly looks too much better.

The integration of the OS with the gamepad is a mixed bag. Yeah it makes web browsing a million times more convenient, but the web browsing experience on a console is not anything important. You can't sell the Wii U as the best web browsing console, thats silly. Other things requiring the GP are an inconvenience. I didn't get a pro controller for a long time because the pro controller had very little support, this has been changing ,NSMBU now supports it and it should continue to be supported. I think other controllers should also be just as capable of controlling the OS. You should be able to launch a game with an alternative controller with out needing to access a menu on your GP in order to do so. These are things that make the Wii U better. They have been doing this already, and when it's completed and GP is totally optional outside of a few games I don't see why they need to require it anymore. Slap a label on those few games that indicates they require a gamepad and enjoy the fruits of being able to sell consoles 33% cheaper.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

403. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I still don't understand why anyone would want a Wii U without the Gamepad. Just get a PS3 or a 360 if you have to have a cheap Game system. Sure it won't have Nintendo games, but if you just want certain games, then the price isn't the issue (most people like that would simply save up), nor is the gamepad since those certain games are going to utilize the Gamepad in some way, if not require it. You're paying less to get less. Unless you're desparate, that's not what most people want.

What about the huge Wii install base that loved their Wii with out a gamepad?

The Wii U should be trying to use the Wii brand to help it and the gamepad really has just confused the issue.

Sell the Wii U as the HD Wii and stress it's value and BC of games and accessories and the new franchises coming to HD for the first time. You can't play mario kart on a Sony or Microsoft box. Exclusive games are why we bought the Wii U, not the gamepad. The gamepad is a total failure as something that has enticed people in to buying the console.

Market the gamepad as something that makes Wii U better in a shared screen environment with off tv play and that enables unique multi-player experiences.

Selling games as having added on second screen features that let you blow on your controller is the thing that is a clear failure at this point.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mahe

404. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I still don't understand why anyone would want a Wii U without the Gamepad. Just get a PS3 or a 360 if you have to have a cheap Game system. Sure it won't have Nintendo games, but if you just want certain games, then the price isn't the issue (most people like that would simply save up), nor is the gamepad since those certain games are going to utilize the Gamepad in some way, if not require it.

With the Gamepad, I paid for something that I don't want to use, because I wanted to have the other parts of the Wii U offering. I wanted to get Wii BC (no GP needed). I wanted to play games like New SMB U, Mighty Switch Force HD and Trine 2: Director's Cut with a Wiimote/Classic Controller (no GP needed). I wanted to have more of the broad variety of games that Wii offered - but I don't want to use a Gamepad to play them. I'm actively boycotting games if they are only playable on the Gamepad, such as Unepic.

What's more, the Gamepad is taking away from my Wii U experience because of games and apps where it's forced upon you. I'd like to use the eShop with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I use the eShop less (and maybe buy less games?) I'd like to use Netflix with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I'm considering using a PlayStation as my Netflix console. At least on PlayStation, you can use Netflix with a traditional pad, even if it's no Wiimote. I'd like to use the Wii U web browser fully with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I use the Wii U web browser less than I would otherwise.

The Gamepad is a nuisance and obstacle to using the Wii U and enjoying its games, and it adds to the price without any reasonable benefit. It's actually worse, you're paying for something that's making the experience less pleasant and more cumbersome! I as a Wii U owner want the Gamepad detached from the Wii U, and there are probably loads of people who would buy the Wii U if it wasn't saddled together with the stupid and useless Gamepad.

Even games that don't use the Gamepad for anything at all, like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, are hurt by having the Gamepad come with the console and be mandatory for its use. The Gamepad is causing grievous injury to the Wii U as a platform, to the whole game selection, and all the many people who don't want to use the Gamepad. The choice shouldn't be "Gamepad or some other system", because in that situation, many people will choose not to buy a Wii U, and that doesn't help existing Wii U owners, not even the ones who defend the Gamepad.

Mahe

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

405. Posted:

Mahe wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I still don't understand why anyone would want a Wii U without the Gamepad. Just get a PS3 or a 360 if you have to have a cheap Game system. Sure it won't have Nintendo games, but if you just want certain games, then the price isn't the issue (most people like that would simply save up), nor is the gamepad since those certain games are going to utilize the Gamepad in some way, if not require it.

With the Gamepad, I paid for something that I don't want to use, because I wanted to have the other parts of the Wii U offering. I wanted to get Wii BC (no GP needed). I wanted to play games like New SMB U, Mighty Switch Force HD and Trine 2: Director's Cut with a Wiimote/Classic Controller (no GP needed). I wanted to have more of the broad variety of games that Wii offered - but I don't want to use a Gamepad to play them. I'm actively boycotting games if they are only playable on the Gamepad, such as Unepic.

What's more, the Gamepad is taking away from my Wii U experience because of games and apps where it's forced upon you. I'd like to use the eShop with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I use the eShop less (and maybe buy less games?) I'd like to use Netflix with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I'm considering using a PlayStation as my Netflix console. At least on PlayStation, you can use Netflix with a traditional pad, even if it's no Wiimote. I'd like to use the Wii U web browser fully with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I use the Wii U web browser less than I would otherwise.

The Gamepad is a nuisance and obstacle to using the Wii U and enjoying its games, and it adds to the price without any reasonable benefit. It's actually worse, you're paying for something that's making the experience less pleasant and more cumbersome! I as a Wii U owner want the Gamepad detached from the Wii U, and there are probably loads of people who would buy the Wii U if it wasn't saddled together with the stupid and useless Gamepad.

Even games that don't use the Gamepad for anything at all, like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, are hurt by having the Gamepad come with the console and be mandatory for its use. The Gamepad is causing grievous injury to the Wii U as a platform, to the whole game selection, and all the many people who don't want to use the Gamepad. The choice shouldn't be "Gamepad or some other system", because in that situation, many people will choose not to buy a Wii U, and that doesn't help existing Wii U owners, not even the ones who defend the Gamepad.

Exactly, this is not an isolated opinion. It is non-sensical for me, this community, or Nintendo to try to convince you that you should love and appreciate the gamepad. Software optional absolutely should happen whether or not this SKU is ever offered.

Some people are waiting for certain franchises, but cost will prevent people who are interested in those franchises from getting the Wii U. That is a problem that can be addressed. I never got an N64 or a Gamecube because I wasn't rich and the exclusives were not compelling enough for me to get one when I had more than I could play on my Playstations. The Wii reminded me how great these Nintendo exclusives are. There are people who played these on one of the 100 million Wii's sold who are not going to pay $300 to play the new HD version......if you tell them it's the same price as the 3DS XL they bought for Mario Kart 7 you have a better oppurtunity to make sales.

Windwaker HD only shows a gamepad as a supported controller. Before i bought it I had to research whether it supported off tv play or a pro controller.....these things should be clear on the box. I wonder if originally they only supported the GP and added pro-controller later. Adding pro-controller support was the right move. Plenty of people prefer this game with a pro-controller. I liked it with the GP, but mostly off-tv play was the killer feature. Core titles like this should follow this model. Lego City and Zombi U made a mistake not supporting the same options, if they want to ensure compatibility when GP becomes optional they can patch. They should patch anyway, but they probably don't care enough to but maybe they do if they are suddenly incompatible with some of the user base. Nintendoland is a game that just needs a label that says it requires the gamepad. People know something about a game before purchasing it, if it requires a GP like Nintendoland its not a huge deal if Grandma buy the game on sale and it doesn't work. Grandma can buy a gampad or exchange the game if she needs to and is a rare case that is not going to matter much.

I love the gamepad and this poster hates it and we both agree. Those of you disagreeing all love the gamepad and arguing basically that it is an integrated and necessary add on it. It is not, we see this now at this point in the consoles life. I can't understand why you disagree, why must functionallity be forced to require the gp unnecessarily ? Why does every single wii u buyer require access to Nintendoland out of the box? Nintendoland, Game and Wario, or Wii Party U can become packins for gamepad purchases, individually or with bundles. What sells better a Wii U bundle with Nintendoland for $300 or a Wii U bundle with no controller and Mario Kart 8 for $200?

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

406. Posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii-U-Latest-Model-32-GB-Bla...

The console is selling on ebay for $130.

Sure that price may actually go up if the gamepad is more sofware optional as we all pretty much agree it should be. I am not suggesting Nintendo could sell the console for this price I am pointing out what's wrong with artificially requiring the gampad.

Nintendo needs to sell consoles to sell software....that's what this business is about. IMO Nintendo and Microsoft got a bit arrogant with the success of Wii and 360 and their gimmics. Adding a huge cost to their consoles at launch in order to attempt to artificially require the add on gimmic as some deeply integrated system feature has shown to be a huge blunder. The main reason Xbone is lagging behind PS4 in sales is that Kinect makes it $100 more expensive. No PS4 on the shelves and tons of Xbones. The Wii U priced itself out of it's core alternative market. The PS3 was a clear third in it's console war and the playstation move was a failure compared to Kinect. Sony aimed for their core market and realized that price matters even to that market. This is the reason Sony is clearly the leader at this point this generation.

Microsoft and Nintendo need to realize they are not trying to sell gamepads and kinects, they are trying to sell gaming hardware and games. These expensive add ons need to become optional as soon as possible if they want to minimize the damage.

The Wii U needs to focus on what made the Wii brand successful. It needs to be the budget friendly option with the best family friendly exlsuives that works with all your controllers and accessories and still plays all your Wii games(minus the gamecube port which I think it would be nice for them to add as many of their core fans prefer it to wii controls). It's best chance to compete is as an HD upgraded Wii that plays the new HD versions of the games you loved on your Wii. Many people had a Wii alongside one of the HD twins and many of those people are not going to go for Wii U at $300 when they haven't played their Wii in years because it hardly had any games at the end. Get that price down and those games may entice them, but they need price and compelling games to convince them to have a Wii U along with their PS4.

Microsoft needs to realize that the kinect was effective at expanding the appeal of their brand. It helped bring in the causal market the same as the Wii's motion controls on a smaller scale. The core success of 360 was independant of kinect, it was the core gaming crowd that loves playing online and being cheaper that allowed them to defeat the PS3. Making kinect a requirement makes them lose their price advantage and it is way too expensive to appeal to the casual kinect user. They have lost a segment of their fanbase to Sony as a result. This fanbase is likely retained if they have no kinect and are the same price as PS4.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

407. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I still don't understand why anyone would want a Wii U without the Gamepad. Just get a PS3 or a 360 if you have to have a cheap Game system. Sure it won't have Nintendo games, but if you just want certain games, then the price isn't the issue (most people like that would simply save up), nor is the gamepad since those certain games are going to utilize the Gamepad in some way, if not require it. You're paying less to get less. Unless you're desparate, that's not what most people want.

What about the huge Wii install base that loved their Wii with out a gamepad?

The Wii U should be trying to use the Wii brand to help it and the gamepad really has just confused the issue.

No, the Gamepad was not the issue. The fact that Nintendo forgot to reinforce the fact that the Gamepad was not a peripharel was the issue. Making the Gamepad a Peripheral is not going to help that issue.

And I highly doubt the Wii install base would've loved it if Nintendo suddenly decided their Wiimotes were optional and started bundling a cheaper Wii with a classic controller.

The Wii U is not a Wii. What you're asking isn't to make the Wii U a Wii, either. What you're asking is for Nintendo to make the Wii U a PS3/360, minus all the things that make those platforms appealing, such as a unified account system, extensive online infrastructure, and lots of 3rd Party games. Unless you can convince me that removing the Wii U will fix those problems, I don't think your solution will ever be more than temporary, if it even works at all.

@Mahe - What you're talking is nonsense, and all you're doing is proving why the Gamepad is a necessary feature by explaining why you needed the Gamepad in order to utilize those features. All of what you said came down to the fact that you didn't want to use the Gamepad. Not because of any flaw Nintendo made in the design of the Gamepad or the Wii U. You don't want to use it, I don't know why, I don't care. But it was your choice, one you made, and one that is not currently forced upon you (though what the OP is suggesting is for others to actually be forced into your position). Just as it was your choice to get the Wii U despite your grievances with the Gamepad.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

408. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I still don't understand why anyone would want a Wii U without the Gamepad. Just get a PS3 or a 360 if you have to have a cheap Game system. Sure it won't have Nintendo games, but if you just want certain games, then the price isn't the issue (most people like that would simply save up), nor is the gamepad since those certain games are going to utilize the Gamepad in some way, if not require it. You're paying less to get less. Unless you're desparate, that's not what most people want.

What about the huge Wii install base that loved their Wii with out a gamepad?

The Wii U should be trying to use the Wii brand to help it and the gamepad really has just confused the issue.

No, the Gamepad was not the issue. The fact that Nintendo forgot to reinforce the fact that the Gamepad was not a peripharel was the issue. Making the Gamepad a Peripheral is not going to help that issue.

And I highly doubt the Wii install base would've loved it if Nintendo suddenly decided their Wiimotes were optional and started bundling a cheaper Wii with a classic controller.

The Wii U is not a Wii. What you're asking isn't to make the Wii U a Wii, either. What you're asking is for Nintendo to make the Wii U a PS3/360, minus all the things that make those platforms appealing, such as a unified account system, extensive online infrastructure, and lots of 3rd Party games. Unless you can convince me that removing the Wii U will fix those problems, I don't think your solution will ever be more than temporary, if it even works at all.

@Mahe - What you're talking is nonsense, and all you're doing is proving why the Gamepad is a necessary feature by explaining why you needed the Gamepad in order to utilize those features. All of what you said came down to the fact that you didn't want to use the Gamepad. Not because of any flaw Nintendo made in the design of the Gamepad or the Wii U. You don't want to use it, I don't know why, I don't care. But it was your choice, one you made, and one that is not currently forced upon you (though what the OP is suggesting is for others to actually be forced into your position). Just as it was your choice to get the Wii U despite your grievances with the Gamepad.

I think you are completely off base. You are telling @Mahe his opinion is nonsense? Your explanation is aftificially requiring the gamead proves it's value? Do you see the lunacy of your argument? You are talking like the gamepad is your wife and he is insulted her honor by saying he despises it. What he is saying makes sense and the first time you have a pro-controller and you have to get up and go fech your gamepad for no reason other than the softwares inefficiency you will undersand a little bit what he is talking about.

Price is always the issue. You know who says price is not an issue? Comapanies who have pressure to cut price because of bad sales. Why do they say that? Because they don't people to stop buying now and waiting for a price cut.

The Wii U technically hasn't even had a price cut. It was always $300. That core fans and early adopters felt the $350 bundle was a better option is not indicative of anything. I am pretty sure that Nintendo took a bigger loss on the basic set than't the deluxe. That is just an eucated guess.

They launched 3DS at a profit. They slashed it's price and took a loss out of desperation and launched a bunch of games.

With the Wii U they realized they couldn't sell it at a profit because it was so dang expensive so they launched at a loss...heck that strategy worked for 3DS. Already selling at a loss a price-cut would be a total disaster for Wii U. That's why we got the pseudo-price cut of eliminating the basic set and marking down the deluxe. Overall Wii U has been $300 since launch and it sells at a loss and that's all you need to know.

They need games and a price cut to help boost the Wii U. There are some big games coming, but I am telling you they will make a much bigger difference if you can get a price cut with that. The more I think about it $225 might be their best target for a no gamepad SKU.

And what do you mean the Wii U is not a Wii? I can use mine perfectly fine as a Wii. The Wii sold well beyond simply the Wii Sports effect because of factors that the Wii U can match if they released a lower priced SKU with no gamepad. If motion sensors were adding 33% to the cost of the Wii and Wii Sports didn't matter to anyone and the console was struggling it would have made perfect sense for them to provide a "traditional" Wii without the motion controls.

It's almost just this idea embedded in peoples brain that the gamepad is somehow essential to the Wii U that is making them unable to understand the cold hard business sense that I am trying to tell you. The gamepad is bringing the Wii U down. I don't see how you can make an argument it is not. The "price is not the issue" argument I place ZERO merit in. Price is always the issue.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

409. Posted:

Another thought, Mario kart and smash have fan bases who didn't care for the wiis motion controls. They preferred the gamecube controller.

Tons of them did. Motion controls were almost a negative for them.

Some hardcore smash fans require gamecube controllers because of lag and interference. Tournament level smash is played this way. These people don't want a game pad.

They would be happiest for a wired option and unfortunately the pro controller doesn't communicate over USB.

Release a wired gamecube controller solution and a no gamepad sku that's cheaper and these fans would rejoice.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

410. Posted:

Except Smash didn't even use motion controls, and those players only preferred the Gamecube controller due to the number of buttons and the fact that they used the GC controller from Melee

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery
LordJumpMad is emperor. U mad?

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

411. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Except Smash didn't even use motion controls, and those players only preferred the Gamecube controller due to the number of buttons and the fact that they used the GC controller from Melee

really, I could have swore I had my quick smash mapped to motion. Did i Imagine that?

But yes, smash and kart will stimulate pro controller sales for sure. Wireless controllers are still an issue for tournament level play however.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

412. Posted:

@blaisedinsd
People that complain about the GamePad, have still apparently bought it, based on @Mahe has said, so who cares? He still bought a Wii U, even though he is not particularly interested in the GamePad, because he still wanted the games that it had. Nintendo's marketing message is that the second screen adds more to their software, which it does, and is why they want to focus on that aspect. They've said that numerous times, especially in the wake of doubters that were there before any sign of trouble, anyway.

The GCN controller thing is just BS. It was just as hard to transition from N64 controllers to GCN. We've changed controllers before. It's not difficult. Whether it's the GamePad or the Pro controller, Smash and Mario Kart players are still going to have the same buttons. Besides, the GamePad is essentially a Wii remote alternative for Mario Kart 8. You can either use the Wii Wheel w/ Wii remote, or the GamePad. It's basically the same. Smash Bros. is played with buttons by most. No one is losing anyting from using the GamePad as their main controller, but the opposite could be said if they exclude it. What if Smash Bros. has a GamePad multiplayer mode? People are going to be missing out on a $5 portion of every single game that ever graces the Wii U, if the GamePa becomes optional and people end up not having it. You'll be losing money by buying software and not having the GamePad features, in which every game takes advantage of it in some way.

EDIT: Also, if you want tou consider the GamePad as 33% of the price, you would have to realize that another 10% or so of that is just as invested into the Wii U, beside the GamePad. You're failing to understand that they are basically tied by hardware, and you're price concern is inconsistent. You were telling me that price didn't matter at the beginning of this thread, but now you're switching your stance on that particular area.

EDIT2: If people want the software, they will buy the Wii U with a GamePad as it is.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AJ_Lethal

413. Posted:

Mahe wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I still don't understand why anyone would want a Wii U without the Gamepad. Just get a PS3 or a 360 if you have to have a cheap Game system. Sure it won't have Nintendo games, but if you just want certain games, then the price isn't the issue (most people like that would simply save up), nor is the gamepad since those certain games are going to utilize the Gamepad in some way, if not require it.

With the Gamepad, I paid for something that I don't want to use, because I wanted to have the other parts of the Wii U offering. I wanted to get Wii BC (no GP needed). I wanted to play games like New SMB U, Mighty Switch Force HD and Trine 2: Director's Cut with a Wiimote/Classic Controller (no GP needed). I wanted to have more of the broad variety of games that Wii offered - but I don't want to use a Gamepad to play them. I'm actively boycotting games if they are only playable on the Gamepad, such as Unepic.

What's more, the Gamepad is taking away from my Wii U experience because of games and apps where it's forced upon you. I'd like to use the eShop with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I use the eShop less (and maybe buy less games?) I'd like to use Netflix with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I'm considering using a PlayStation as my Netflix console. At least on PlayStation, you can use Netflix with a traditional pad, even if it's no Wiimote. I'd like to use the Wii U web browser fully with a Wiimote, not possible. Result: I use the Wii U web browser less than I would otherwise.

The Gamepad is a nuisance and obstacle to using the Wii U and enjoying its games, and it adds to the price without any reasonable benefit. It's actually worse, you're paying for something that's making the experience less pleasant and more cumbersome! I as a Wii U owner want the Gamepad detached from the Wii U, and there are probably loads of people who would buy the Wii U if it wasn't saddled together with the stupid and useless Gamepad.

Even games that don't use the Gamepad for anything at all, like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, are hurt by having the Gamepad come with the console and be mandatory for its use. The Gamepad is causing grievous injury to the Wii U as a platform, to the whole game selection, and all the many people who don't want to use the Gamepad. The choice shouldn't be "Gamepad or some other system", because in that situation, many people will choose not to buy a Wii U, and that doesn't help existing Wii U owners, not even the ones who defend the Gamepad.

#firstworldproblems

deviantART

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

414. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Price is always the issue.

Then why is the OUYA not flying off the shelves? It's cheaper than everything else. If all people care about is price, then why is the cheapest available option not the most popular?

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

415. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Price is always the issue.

Then why is the OUYA not flying off the shelves? It's cheaper than everything else. If all people care about is price, then why is the cheapest available option not the most popular?

Missing the point. You may as well ask why a tootsie roll isn't flying off the shelves at 5 cents a piece.

If a tootsie roll was $1 it would have a problem.

Price is a problem for wii u because it's more expensive than wii ever was and it doesn't have the price advantage over the competition on the same level.

I hear all the time, why would I get a wii u that looks to have anemic 3rd part support when for $100 more I can get a cutting edge ps4 that I know will have a huge selection of games in the future. The wii u can't compete in a ps4 or wii u contest. The wii u needs to position itself as I need a wii u and a ps4 category. The price is hurting it in that area.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

416. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Price is always the issue.

Then why is the OUYA not flying off the shelves? It's cheaper than everything else. If all people care about is price, then why is the cheapest available option not the most popular?

He doesn't know WTF he's talking about. That's why.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

417. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Missing the point. You may as well ask why a tootsie roll isn't flying off the shelves at 5 cents a piece. If a tootsie roll was $1 it would have a problem.

This doesn't make any sense. We're comparing it to other consoles and their prices, and all you can think about is tootsie rolls being on sale for 5¢?

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

418. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Price is always the issue.

Then why is the OUYA not flying off the shelves? It's cheaper than everything else. If all people care about is price, then why is the cheapest available option not the most popular?

He doesn't know WTF he's talking about. That's why.

You honestly don't think the wii u would be selling better at $200 than $300?

You don't know wtf your talking about.

Being cheap was an advantage for the wii that the wii u doesn't have.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ferthepoet

419. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Another thought, Mario kart and smash have fan bases who didn't care for the wiis motion controls. They preferred the gamecube controller.

Tons of them did. Motion controls were almost a negative for them.

Some hardcore smash fans require gamecube controllers because of lag and interference. Tournament level smash is played this way. These people don't want a game pad.

They would be happiest for a wired option and unfortunately the pro controller doesn't communicate over USB.

Release a wired gamecube controller solution and a no gamepad sku that's cheaper and these fans would rejoice.

This... exactly what I've been saying there are lots of people who would get Wii U for Smash if they didn't had to pay extra for the gamepad, a cheaper sku with no gamepad launching along smash is the way to go

ferthepoet

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

420. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Missing the point. You may as well ask why a tootsie roll isn't flying off the shelves at 5 cents a piece. If a tootsie roll was $1 it would have a problem.

This doesn't make any sense. We're comparing it to other consoles and their prices, and all you can think about is tootsie rolls being on sale for 5¢?

If ouya had first party Nintendo games releasing on it for the first time ever in hd do you think it would be selling better at its price point?

Why do people around here have so much trouble comprehending analogies?

blaisedinsd

Sorry, this topic has been locked.