Wii U Forum

Topic: What does Nintendo have to lose by making the gamepad "optional"?

Showing 241 to 260 of 724

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

241. Posted:

Yeah, the wii u labeling for controllers is messed up anyway. They just list a controller. Wind waker only shows a gamepad, yet a pro controller is just fine and the game can be played with out the gamepad. It's not reliable currently and it won't be reliable if a starter sku is realeased. I already have to research a game to find out what controls I can use before I purchase.

Moving forward this is an issue either way but the budget sku can define itself, list the few games that won't work with out a gamepad on the box of the sku and the problem isn't a big deal.

Whether or not you know this lower priced sku appeals to anyone or not I think you can accept people have different tastes. Just because you think the 2ds is a foolish buy doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to some people. Same concept. The sku simply offers consumer choice.

The gamepad is not threatened by this because it still works. The gamepad strategy has the same effectiveness. Right now games are ignoring it like tropical freeze. Tropical freeze can still be a great game that helps the consoles appeal. Tacking on maps and inventory management is not some expense that needs to be dropped if this sku is released. Games that require the gamepad are still only going to come from Nintendo and a new sticker or label should be put on them saying they do. My gamepad console experience is not harmed, I can still enjoy all wii u software since I have a gamepad.

The sku may have some limited appeal just like the 2ds.

I think all points have been addressed multiple times and I still don't see an argument that shows how a move would harm the wii u business performance.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

242. Posted:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

4. Developers no longer feel 'forced' to add gamepad features when releasing a game on the Wii-U.

All the more reason NOT to remove the gamepad! This also now applies to the 3ds and developers can get away with not including 3d! As a fan of both 3d and the gamepad this would make me mad as a Nintendo fan!

This may be true, but you still bought the Nintendo hardware and you will still buy games. If you are annoyed it doesn't matter to Nintendo from a business perspective. The person who buys a wii u just because of this sku matters to their business, your emotions while continuing to buy do not.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

AJ_Lethal

243. Posted:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Because you want a Nintendo console and to play Nintendo exclusives. People are buying a Wii-U to play THE GAMES, not because of the controller. And the Wii-U is more powerful than the PS3/360, isn't it??....

According to the internet blowhards, no.

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Exactly. They are fickle and haven't warmed up to the gamepad in over a year. It's time to change things up.

Poor comunication and lack of awareness and games are the real culprits.

JohnRedcorn wrote:

They obviously feel obligated (either contractually or developer-wise) to do something with the gamepad, even if its very little. If you remove that requirement from them, maybe more developers would be willing to produce software, knowing they don't have to waste time/effort/development on implementing some unnecessary gamepad features?

AFAIK Sony requires all games developed for the PS4 to be compatible with Remote Play, which is more complicated than Wii U's Off-TV Play (the bare minimum you can do with the Gamepad), so that's hardly an excuse.

deviantART

AuthorMessage

CureDolly

244. Posted:

People talk about the "console war" and Nintendo's bottom line as if they were both genuine problems. Nintendo is only concerned about the bottom line. The so-called "console war" is just a fan-made game in Nintendo's case. It has some validity for Sony and Microsoft because they actually are competing for the exact same demographic. But Nintendo's business is selling consoles, the vast majority of which when they are successful (as in the case of 3DS, not just Wii) are to people who would never think of buying a PlayBox.

Discover the mysteries of Japanese Pokemon Names - they're weirder than you think!

The doll likes Kawaii Culture and Japanese. Oh yes, and Nintendo games.

AuthorMessage

skywake

245. Posted:

@blaisedinsd
You know what matters to businesses? Trust. Nintendo have invested a lot of time and effort into making sure that consumers trust their platforms. When they cut the price of the 3DS early in its life they gave out free games to compensate end users. Annoying existing customers is not a good idea and neither is confusing potential buyers.

And yes, you do see plenty of reasons why it would hurt their business you're just choosing to ignore them. The fact that it is the default controller and removing it from a new SKU messes things up is apparently trivial. The fact that they'll be forced to drop support for it is paranoia because they'll clearly keep pushing it. The suggestion that owners of the GamePad-less will be forced to buy it anyway is wrong because no games will need it. Circular reasoning at its best.

How about instead of talking about which main, unique and positive hardware feature should be removed we think about what the real problem is. The fact that Mario Kart and Smash Bros aren't out yet. Or the fact that only a handful of games have sold the GamePad as an idea. Those are the things that'll start moving units. You don't make money by throwing out the furniture every time you hit a bump. They need to be a bit more level headed than that.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

246. Posted:

CureDolly wrote:

People talk about the "console war" and Nintendo's bottom line as if they were both genuine problems. Nintendo is only concerned about the bottom line. The so-called "console war" is just a fan-made game in Nintendo's case. It has some validity for Sony and Microsoft because they actually are competing for the exact same demographic. But Nintendo's business is selling consoles, the vast majority of which when they are successful (as in the case of 3DS, not just Wii) are to people who would never think of buying a PlayBox.

Exactly. I agree with this 100%. N64 and gamecube failed in the console war but they both turned profits for Nintendo which helped to make them vastly more profitable in this business than their competition that finished ahead in those console wars.

The wii u has no hope of winning this console war, but Nintendo needs to do whatever they can to at least make it profitable. They do that and wii u console war failure is irrelevant.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

247. Posted:

skywake wrote:

@blaisedinsd
You know what matters to businesses? Trust. Nintendo have invested a lot of time and effort into making sure that consumers trust their platforms. When they cut the price of the 3DS early in its life they gave out free games to compensate end users. Annoying existing customers is not a good idea and neither is confusing potential buyers.

And yes, you do see plenty of reasons why it would hurt their business you're just choosing to ignore them. The fact that it is the default controller and removing it from a new SKU messes things up is apparently trivial. The fact that they'll be forced to drop support for it is paranoia because they'll clearly keep pushing it. The suggestion that owners of the GamePad-less will be forced to buy it anyway is wrong because no games will need it. Circular reasoning at its best.

How about instead of talking about which main, unique and positive hardware feature should be removed we think about what the real problem is. The fact that Mario Kart and Smash Bros aren't out yet. Or the fact that only a handful of games have sold the GamePad as an idea. Those are the things that'll start moving units. You don't make money by throwing out the furniture every time you hit a bump. They need to be a bit more level headed than that.

Lack of trust? How exactly would some one buying a starter sku and enjoying smash bros with out a gamepad betray your trust? It doesn't betray anyone's trust. The lack of support for ROB betrayed my trust far more, but you still have all the benefits of the gamepad. You lose NOTHING. This sku doesn't mean any segment feels they should have an ambassador program does it? 3ds price drop was a betrayal of trust they tried to smooth over by offering digital content instead of a rebate. This is not a betrayal of trust.

This sku annoys no one. It give consumers choice. 5 incompatible games for people who wanted a gimped console experience betrays no ones trust.
Therefore it won't hurt their business at all. Unless you can explain how it annoys and causes a lack of trust you should admit it wouldn't harm their business. You attempted to, but I think I showed it was a misconception. I didn't ignore your claim, I addressed it. The gamepad features are not removed, they are simply not available to those who decide they want a cheaper console rather than a gamepad. Me and you and Nintendo telling these people they are dumb for not wanting the gamepad is silly. If they don't want it selling them a console with out it is good for business and doesn't harm your gp strategy.

It doesn't matter what the consoles problem is or if this fixes it. Maximizing the consoles profitability is what matters and giving choice and lowering price of entry are good things for nintendos bottom line.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

AJ_Lethal

248. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

It doesn't matter what the consoles problem is or if this fixes it. Maximizing the consoles profitability is what matters and giving choice and lowering price of entry are good things for nintendos bottom line.

So you're basically resorting to wild-a-s guessing to solve the Wii U's problems? Seriously, there is not a "magic bullet" solution to bring the Wii U back to it's feet.

deviantART

AuthorMessage

CureDolly

249. Posted:

The fact that no one ever mentions (probably because it is a hard business fact, not a piece of fan-lore) is that Nintendo's home consoles, since the N64 have always had a low attach rate. That, and not some fan-style prejudice, is why many third parties don't bring games to the consoles (they are fine with the handhelds which have a much higher attach rate).

Now this means certain things. One thing it means is that people who don't intend to play a LOT of games won't pay a lot for the console they play them on. This audience is the one Nintendo has lost. Not the audience represented on internet forums, who typically do buy a lot of games, but are too small a proportion of the market to make a difference to the overall attach rate.

Without the low-attach rate audience, Nintendo will sell very few consoles, and that is what is happening to WiiU right now. The price is too high for the main low-attach-rate audience to pick it up in significant numbers.

The Gamepad COULD have been the new innovation that attracted those people and it MIGHT have been enough to induce them to pay a higher price than they have paid before. But as it turned out it wasn't. Partly because the Gamepad is not attractive enough, in the way that motion control was and partly because it put the price up too high. I very much doubt that even the Wii would have succeeded at the WiiU's price, because as successful as it was, it always had a low attach rate, and people who buy few games don't want to invest a lot in a console.

So is a price drop now a "magic bullet"? I don't know, and none of us know. But without it I don't think anything else will significantly increase its sales.

Edited on by CureDolly

Discover the mysteries of Japanese Pokemon Names - they're weirder than you think!

The doll likes Kawaii Culture and Japanese. Oh yes, and Nintendo games.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

250. Posted:

Except there was a Price drop. After inflation, the Wii U costs almosts the same as the Wii was, actually less if you're able to get a Standard one that costs $250 now. Yet the Wii U is still not selling. Will dropping the price further help? Maybe, but personally I think that if people really wanted to play the games that were out now, the price as is shouldn't really be stopping them. It certainly didn't stop millions from paying twice as much for an Xbox One. I think people are just waiting for the right games to come. I personally think we should wait before talking about removing important features.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

251. Posted:

AJ_Lethal wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

So you're basically resorting to wild-a-s guessing to solve the Wii U's problems? Seriously, there is not a "magic bullet" solution to bring the Wii U back to it's feet.

No. What?

I don't think many people have considered the ramifications of making the gamepad optional. This thread is basically a dialog for considering those ramifications.

The idea seems to be some radical wild-donkey riksy move to many people when they first consider it. I think that further consideration shows it is not as radical an idea as you would initially think.

I agree there is no magic bullet that will that save the Wii U. I don't think console wars matter, but the Wii U is currently negatively affecting Nintendos business. The goal of the Wii U is to make money. Nintendo is a business and that means the goal is to make money. It doesn't matter if the internet reacts hysterically and points and laughs or if Nintendo fans are bewildered and confused at the announcement of this idea. Nintendo is not trying to look cool, they are trying to make money.

The only question I am asking in this thread is if this idea would negatively affect the Wii U financially. Do they have anything to lose by doing this?

I don't think it would and I think I make a case for that makes sense. The ideas saying it would negatively affect the situation in my opinion are misguided and making assumptions that are not valid.

To actually do this there are some expenses from Nintendo, but since the topic is about the business of making money the question becomes whether or not that expense is less than the increased sales this gimped SKU would generate. I don't think it is anyway relevant to the topic to explain why anyone would want a Wii U with out a gamepad. If you don't think a single person would prefer a cheaper Wii U that lets them play games with out the gamepad features than I think you are being narrow minded and failing to consider that people have different tastes. The Wii U still offers people something without the gamepad, Wind Waker HD is still a great experience with out the gamepad. Huge franchises that will also be great with out a gamepad are just around the corner. These factors combine to create some niche appeal of this SKU. This SKU's existence does not directly oppose or upset the existance of the GP or it's viability as a feature to drive Wii U business once you actually think about it from a business point of view. It only upsets the sensabilities and expectations of some one like @skywake but those sensabilities and expectation are irrelevant from a business point of view. I doubt I will ever make him see that and am probably wasting my time attempting to.

The only relevant question I am asking is if this SKU would generate enough sales to justify the expense of software patches and slapping stickers on Zombi U and Nintendoland. If it makes more money than it costs it is a sound business strategy. I think several factors I have outlined such as dropping the entry price and increasing profit margins on hardware sales of this SKU and the standalone Gamepad SKU make a compelling case that this strategy could generate a boost that makes the minimal expense needed to make it happen worth it due to increased profit. It makes sense the same way the 2DS did as far as the factors of a gimped console/higher profit margin on hardware/ and lower entry price point. @skywake would say that its not the same thing because GP to Wii U is not the same as 3D to the 3DS but he would be entirely missing my point yet again.

Please watch the profanity — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

252. Posted:

CureDolly wrote:

The fact that no one ever mentions (probably because it is a hard business fact, not a piece of fan-lore) is that Nintendo's home consoles, since the N64 have always had a low attach rate. That, and not some fan-style prejudice, is why many third parties don't bring games to the consoles (they are fine with the handhelds which have a much higher attach rate).

Now this means certain things. One thing it means is that people who don't intend to play a LOT of games won't pay a lot for the console they play them on. This audience is the one Nintendo has lost. Not the audience represented on internet forums, who typically do buy a lot of games, but are too small a proportion of the market to make a difference to the overall attach rate.

Without the low-attach rate audience, Nintendo will sell very few consoles, and that is what is happening to WiiU right now. The price is too high for the main low-attach-rate audience to pick it up in significant numbers.

The Gamepad COULD have been the new innovation that attracted those people and it MIGHT have been enough to induce them to pay a higher price than they have paid before. But as it turned out it wasn't. Partly because the Gamepad is not attractive enough, in the way that motion control was and partly because it put the price up too high. I very much doubt that even the Wii would have succeeded at the WiiU's price, because as successful as it was, it always had a low attach rate, and people who buy few games don't want to invest a lot in a console.

So is a price drop now a "magic bullet"? I don't know, and none of us know. But without it I don't think anything else will significantly increase its sales.

Thank you. I agree with all of this 100%

There is no magic bullet, but the priority should be to get the Wii U profitable so it doesn't hurt the bottom line. This is the main goal at this point in the consoles life. This sku idea is simply and idea I think could help that goal.

I do predict it will happen. I am a prognosticator now :-)

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

253. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Except there was a Price drop. After inflation, the Wii U costs almosts the same as the Wii was, actually less if you're able to get a Standard one that costs $250 now. Yet the Wii U is still not selling. Will dropping the price further help? Maybe, but personally I think that if people really wanted to play the games that were out now, the price as is shouldn't really be stopping them. It certainly didn't stop millions from paying twice as much for an Xbox One. I think people are just waiting for the right games to come. I personally think we should wait before talking about removing important features.

That $250 bundle is sort a weird case/mystery. It is sort of non-standard limited availability type of thing. I don't know much about it, but for the sake of discussion you can swap out the gamepad in that bundle and sell it even cheaper and cheaper is even better.

We are not talking about taking a price cut that makes you sell hardware at a huge loss. That is not going to help Nintendos business. It may move more consoles but it doesn't help make money. Its a bad business move.

The idea of this SKU does not remove important features in any way whatsoever. How do I emphasize this point and BOLD/UNDERLINE it? Not sure how this forum works. It is so frustrating as i have to keep saying this repeatedly. It doesn't remove a feature from me the gamepad owner. It doesn't remove a feature from someone going for that SKU anymore than a 2DS removes a 3D feature from some one who wants a 2DS. THEY ARE BUYING IT BECAUSE THEY DON"T CARE ABOUT THE FEATURE AND DONT WANT IT, and Nintendo is smart to offer them a gimped option that they can sell at a lower price with a higher profit margin.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

AJ_Lethal

254. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

The goal of the Wii U is to make money. Nintendo is a business and that means the goal is to make money.

True, Nintendo has to make money, as any business. But now they are trying to build a user base, first and foremost, and cutting off the Gamepad to "maximize profits" as you put it, is not the way of doing it. For example even if they make a massive profit from 200K people, that does not mean those 200K people will go and buy another console from them. You have to build keep a sustainable userbase first.

blaisedinsd wrote:

It doesn't matter if the internet reacts hysterically and points and laughs or if Nintendo fans are bewildered and confused at the announcement of this idea. Nintendo is not trying to look cool, they are trying to make money.

Sir, allow me to introduce you to the concept of perception. You know, when the Internet (in general) speaks well about some product, people are more inclined to go and buy that product. If people speaks bad about a product, people will not be so inclined to buy it.

Guess where the Wii U falls on?

blaisedinsd wrote:

To actually do this there are some expenses from Nintendo, but since the topic is about the business of making money the question becomes whether or not that expense is less than the increased sales this gimped SKU would generate. I don't think it is anyway relevant to the topic to explain why anyone would want a Wii U with out a gamepad. If you don't think a single person would prefer a cheaper Wii U that lets them play games with out the gamepad features than I think you are being narrow minded and failing to consider that people have different tastes. The Wii U still offers people something without the gamepad, Wind Waker HD is still a great experience with out the gamepad. Huge franchises that will also be great with out a gamepad are just around the corner. These factors combine to create some niche appeal of this SKU. This SKU's existence does not directly oppose or upset the existance of the GP or it's viability as a feature to drive Wii U business once you actually think about it from a business point of view. It only upsets the sensabilities and expectations of some one like @skywake but those sensabilities and expectation are irrelevant from a business point of view. I doubt I will ever make him see that and am probably wasting my time attempting to.

blaisedinsd wrote:

The only question I am asking in this thread is if this idea would negatively affect the Wii U financially. Do they have anything to lose by doing this?

At this stage? Yes. Splitting the prospective userbase here, now is a no-no which could lead to (further) confusion. And even if it makes the costs, it might not increase sales significantly due the other myriad of problems (which are a bigger priority than the Gamepad existence "issue", like you know, games and marketing) the Wii U has. Or even backfire cannibalizing the Gamepad SKU sales and thrashing Nintendo's plans with it.

Not to mention the Xbox One comes with Kinect, but people still buy it (albeit for different reasons)

blaisedinsd wrote:

The only relevant question I am asking is if this SKU would generate enough sales to justify the expense of software patches and slapping stickers on Zombi U and Nintendoland. If it makes more money than it costs it is a sound business strategy. I think several factors I have outlined such as dropping the entry price and increasing profit margins on hardware sales of this SKU and the standalone Gamepad SKU make a compelling case that this strategy could generate a boost that makes the minimal expense needed to make it happen worth it due to increased profit. It makes sense the same way the 2DS did as far as the factors of a gimped console/higher profit margin on hardware/ and lower entry price point. @skywake would say that its not the same thing because GP to Wii U is not the same as 3D to the 3DS but he would be entirely missing my point yet again.

Except the 2DS origins are quite distinct of your reasoning for a Gamepad-less Wii U. Basically they were targeting another market (toddlers) and Nintendo could afford to make a watered down 3DS without alienating the 3DS buyers (that's why it does have another form factor in addition of the lack of 3D funcionality). Not to mention the 3D effect is pretty much "the icing in the cake" on the 3DS, unlike the Wii U, where the Gamepad is pretty much intended as a big part of the system.

Edited on by AJ_Lethal

deviantART

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

255. Posted:

I looked at the Skylanders bundle.

It's basically an 8GB discontinued Wii U model that inludes a Swap force starter kit.

It looks to me like this was intended to be sold for $300 initially but can now be found going as low as $250.

My educated guess is that this is being sold at a loss. It is a great value for the consumer who wants a Wii U and Swapforce. I think it is probably a way to cut losses on the obsolete 8GB surplus by attempting to pack in stuff to increase the value. Swap force starter kit is $70? 8GB model was $300. Nintendoland was $50? Whatever the case it is an limited availability type of thing and not indicative of Nintendo's business strategy.

I got my deluxe set for under $300 but I did't go around talking like it was a price cut.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

ogo79

256. Posted:

ffs can we get back to the mcdonalds hamburger talk...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

257. Posted:

AJ_Lethal wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

The goal of the Wii U is to make money. Nintendo is a business and that means the goal is to make money.

True, Nintendo has to make money, as any business. But now they are trying to build a user base, first and foremost, and cutting off the Gamepad to "maximize profits" as you put it, is not the way of doing it. For example even if they make a massive profit from 200K people, that does not mean those 200K people will go and buy another console from them. You have to build keep a sustainable userbase first..

I agree in theory with what you are saying here but you fail to demonstrate how giving the consumer an option with the gamepad means those people won't buy another console. You made no connection between those 2 things. How does it make your userbase less sustainable? I see no connection between your points and an optional starter SKU becoming an option. How does the offering of the SKU jeopardize future console sales or the sustainability of the userbase?

AJ_Lethal wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

It doesn't matter if the internet reacts hysterically and points and laughs or if Nintendo fans are bewildered and confused at the announcement of this idea. Nintendo is not trying to look cool, they are trying to make money.

Sir, allow me to introduce you to the concept of perception. You know, when the Internet (in general) speaks well about some product, people are more inclined to go and buy that product. If people speaks bad about a product, people will not be so inclined to buy it.

Guess where the Wii U falls on?

A fair point that I do not disagree with fundamentally but the 2DS launch shows it is not relevant. The 2DS was laughed at and ridiculed by the internet, but a few months later the numbers show it boosted their 3DS business. Check the numbers and tell me if Nintendo worries about the negative perception or the internet at the 2DS announcement while they are counting their cash.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

At this stage? Yes. Splitting the prospective userbase here, now is a no-no which could lead to (further) confusion.

So if 2DS owners hypothetically could not play 3D land on their 2DS, would the 2DS than have been a huge risk no longer worth taking? If their was a group of 5 3DS games that could not be played on a 2DS due to it's lack of 3D does the 2DS suddenly become a bad business idea?

No, it doesn't affect the botom line of the 2DS in any way. The user base is not split in anyway that matters to their business. If some dude buys a 2DS because he wants to play the new pokemon Nintendo is not going to worry that their is a small number of games that are incompatible with his 2DS. They made money on pokemon and the 2DS, if they can't sell him 3D land too they can just count his money while they ponder why they should care about that when they could not sell the guy 3D land before he bought his 2DS either. The 2DS would still be a boost and still make sense if it caused some incompatibility.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

And even if it makes the costs, it might not increase sales significantly due the other myriad of problems (which are a bigger priority than the Gamepad existence "issue", like you know, games and marketing) the Wii U has. Or even backfire cannibalizing the Gamepad SKU sales and thrashing Nintendo's plans with it.

Not to mention the Xbox One comes with Kinect, but people still buy it (albeit for different reasons)

If the new SKU cannibalizes GP SKU sales:
1. They are making more profit on that SKU anyway so that's actually sort of good
2. Nintendos GP plans will have been judged by the consumer as a bad strategy

Yes, Xbone has made the same basic blunder of forcing everyone to buy an expensive add on. Moving forward this tactic will generally be considered a mistake demonstrated by both the Wii U and the Xbone when discussing the strategies of these console wars.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

Except the 2DS origins are quite distinct of your reasoning for a Gamepad-less Wii U. Basically they were targeting another market (toddlers) and Nintendo could afford to make a watered down 3DS without alienating the 3DS buyers (that's why it does have another form factor in addition of the lack of 3D funcionality). Not to mention the 3D effect is pretty much "the icing in the cake" on the 3DS, unlike the Wii U, where the Gamepad is pretty much intended as a big part of the system.

All valid claims that pretty much completely miss my point yet again. Of course it's not exactly the same thing because it's not exactly the same thing. Pointing that out is simply frustrating to me....thanks for frustrating me. From a business point of view it is the same because its a gimped SKU, a lower entry price, and a higher profit margin targeted at a niche audience.
Does that mean it's exactly the same thing?

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

258. Posted:

Nintendo doesn't need to lower the cost of the Wii U to get sales, they tried that and it failed. People don't have a problem with the GamePad they have a Problem that it isn't used in unique ways. You want the secret answer to making the Wii U a success? Make more games that utilize the GamePad in unique ways. That is what Nintendo needs to do and they have already stated that is what they are going to do.

Edited on by DefHalan

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage

blaisedinsd

259. Posted:

They didn't need to lower the cost of the 3DS to get sales either, it was selling great, but they still did just that with the 2DS.

The boost the 2DS gave only added to the success of the console and making money is the goal.

A Link between Worlds still came later and has the best 3D effects since 3D land in my opinion. People who think 3D is great will still only have the 3DS to go to for handheld 3D gaming.

The sales price always matters and lowering it is good for moving more consoles. Consoles sell better when they cost less. Their is a problem the Wii U has in that 360 and PS3 are basically the better low cost console options available right now. These sytems are still going strong. They Wii U can not realistically lower it's price to the point where this problem goes away. PS3 and 360 are hurting the Wii U more than PS4 or Xbone.

That being said, lowering cost, providing games, and increasing profit margins are all things that will help the Wii U business. Utilizing the GP in unique ways has potential as well. Nintendo needs to do everything to help Wii U business, not just some of it. This console is hurting the company financially and they have never had a home console do that in the past. Not making profit on hardware sales is a huge factor. The idea of this thread helps the Wii U business at a minimal cost and is a strategy they should pursue in parallel to the GP.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage

DefHalan

260. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

They didn't need to lower the cost of the 3DS to get sales either, it was selling great, but they still did just that with the 2DS.

The boost the 2DS gave only added to the success of the console and making money is the goal.

A Link to the Past still came later and has the best 3D effects since 3D land in my opinion. People who think 3D is great will still only have the 3DS to go to for handheld 3D gaming.

The sales price always matters and lowering it is good for moving more consoles. Consoles sell better when they cost less. Their is a problem the Wii U has in that 360 and PS3 are basically the better low cost console options available right now. These sytems are still going strong. They Wii U can not realistically lower it's price to the point where this problem goes away. PS3 and 360 are hurting the Wii U more than PS4 or Xbone.

That being said, lowering cost, providing games, and increasing profit margins are all things that will help the Wii U business. Utilizing the GP in unique ways has potential as well. Nintendo needs to do everything to help Wii U business, not just some of it. This console is hurting the company financially and they have never had a home console do that in the past. Not making profit on hardware sales is a huge factor. The idea of this thread helps the Wii U business at a minimal cost and is a strategy they should pursue in parallel to the GP.

The 2DS wasn't created for a lower price point. The 2DS fixed two problems the 3DS had. 3D is harmful to kids at a young age and this fact scared off parents, I have seen it happen in Game Stores. The second problem was the hinges on the 3DS/DS, lots of people complained about how easy they were to break. The 2DS doesn't have the hinges. Nintendo created the 2DS for the younger audience, people who should not view 3D and are more likely to break the hinges.

You are proposing Nintendo make the GamePad optional. The problem with doing that is it will hurt the customer, then in turn hurt Nintendo. A split install base isn't good for a struggling system, how do you fix the split install base issue? Don't make games that utilize the GamePad. So everyone with a GamePad already has no new GamePad games coming. If you even make the GamePad features optional in your games it limits what devs can do with the GamePad (Little Inferno and ZombiU would have never happened). If Nintendo, or other companies, continued to make GamePad required games then they are missing out on the GamePad-less install base, basically destroying the reason to create the new SKU in the first place. Nintendo could make a quick buck by making a new SKU but it will cause more problems and do more harm than good.

Nintendo needs to focus on their current problems and fix those, not create new problems.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Sorry, this topic has been locked.