Forums

Topic: What does Nintendo have to lose by making the gamepad "optional"?

Posts 181 to 200 of 721

OptometristLime

blaisedinsd wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@blaisdinsd
Your topic is off topic, because Nintendo already said that they won't make a GamePad-less SKU.

That already rules out the entire thread, which is why we're explaining to you why they won't offer it separately.

Seriously? When and where was that stated?

I haven't seen it and I am pretty sure it would have been mentioned much earlier in the thread if that was the case.

I think you are either mistaken or you are making stuff up. Provide evidence, admit your mistake, confess to posting troll bait, or don't respond and we will know you are full of it.

Pot, meet kettle.

I've been paying close attention to this thread, and have even attempted to take your GamePad suggestion in good faith. But ultimately this thread makes a stronger case for buying a McDonald's value meal, than a legitimate attempt at advancing Nintendo's market share.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

blaisedinsd

renaryuugufan92 wrote:

Since March makes one year since I've owned a Wii U please allow me to throw my two cents in on this. I personally use the pro controller more than the Gamepad (outside of NFS: Most Wanted U and the 3-6 levels in SM3DW that require it, eshop & miiverse) and I feel that it might actually benefit Nintendo if they make the Gamepad a option rather than a in box requirment. The gamepad costs around $80 to manufacture so the Wii U won't be getting another official price cut as stated by Iwata himself, and the gamepad can be safely assumed as the primary reason for his words. Also we must take into consideration that unlike the Wii mote and gamepad isn't an easy thing to wrap your head around heck even developers have a hard time on figuring out what its good for outside of maps and item boxes (still used the pro controller with WWHD). Then theres the whole ruining the consumer thing, first off consumers STILL think that the gamepad is a add on to the original Wii, last week I had a Walmart manager try to sell me a Wii mini because he thought that the Wii U was just a overpriced controller, a... manager, think about that. If Nintendo dropped the gamepad the only thing they'd have to lose is new artists on Miiverse and the costs of re-designing the Wii U box and recalling all Wii U unites on SHELVES in order to package them in with a Pro Controller and patching all games that REQUIRE the gamepad, but in the long run it would make the Wii U cheaper to produce and potentially get rid of consumer confustion, hey look a traditional controller and a new game console by nintendo, huh a new game console, OMG! Then Nintendo can sell gamepads based on demand on their own rather than in a packaged box that is still confusing customers well into the consoles second year. That was my two cents.
Personal controller usuage since last March
Gamepad: 13-20 hours-ish
Pro Controller: well over 160 hours.

Cool, I got mine in March as well. I did not get a pro-controller until 3D world launched though. This is basically when I started to realize the gamepad is often not necessary. When playing multi-player the gamepad does usually become just a big fat pro controller with a screen you don't even need, or in 2D mario it's not even an option except for boost mode. And what in the world is Going on with 3D world where its the opposite and if you play with 4 people someone is forced to use the gamepad? This little type of thing makes no sense and this is from flagship first party Nintendo development.

Recalling all unsold consoles to sell them with out the gamepad I don't think makes sense at all. I think simply giving people an option is fine, let the chips fall where they may, but I agree that if anything it would actually remove some of the confusion. YES PEOPLE, ITS A NEW CONSOLE and the gamepad simply enhances the experience. It is not an expensive controller add on for the Wii that costs $300. It's an upgraded Wii that plays all these great family friendly games that is cheaper than those other guys and all your WIi controllers will work with it too. That gamepad thing is only $85,, not $300 and it enhances all your games and lets you play them with no television, if you want it with your console it only costs $50 more which is way cheaper than an inferior PS4 or Xbone controller that you have to buy when you get those because none of your old controller will work on those sytems.

SW-7087-5868-6390

DefHalan

blaisedinsd wrote:

I do not see any issue with a divided SKU. How is it different than wii motion plus on the wii?

The Wii had been out for about 3 years before Wii-Motion Plus came out. Wii Motion Plus is also to enhance the GamePlay not make it equal to what Nintendo sold before.

You say they sell 1 million starter sets and they have 6 million gamepads, do you really think that means Nintendoland 2 or whatever gets cancelled?

Those games would not be cancelled but they would be re-worked to work without the GamePad, so extra time and money would have to be spent.

Do you think Game and Wario had a bunch of extra development costs because of its gamepad functionallity? Do you think adding a map and inventory management to Wind Waker HD was something so expensive that it would be killed off simply because 100% of console owners don't have a gamepad?

No the GamePad functionality is not expensive but why spend the time and money on it if it isn't important?

Is 6 million out of 6 million any different than 6 million out of 7 million when making this decision?

If you are just talking about making a second SKU, then it would be a profitable move. Nintendo isn't just trying to make a profit, they are trying to introduce a new way to play. Nintendo wants to break the boundaries of 1 screen for console gaming. Nintendo wants a new way for the player to interact with their console games that the 3DS can't do. The Wii U and GamePad aren't about surviving in the industry, it is about changing the industry and the way we play games.

Nintendo completely dropping gamepad support would leave a sour taste, but what conceivable reason would that happen? Certainly not if we have 6 million out of 7 million users who have one.

If Nintendo kept making games that support the GamePad then those 1 million wouldn't be able to play those games. If Nintendo didn't support the GamePad then people wanting the GamePad to be supported would be upset. Why sell something if you don't support it? (and I mean that for both SKUs)

The fear of this happening is extremely far removed from simply giving the consumer an option when they buy the console and ultimately it is a fear of the gamepad consumer while this thread is about Nintendo has to lose. So it's off topic basically (even though this fear seems to be overwhelmingly be driving responses to this thread).

Anytime someone mentions how it will affect a customer it will affect Nintendo. If the customer isn't happy then they will not give Nintendo their money causing Nintendo to suffer. So it isn't off-topic.

So yeah, it may get Nintendo some quick money on hardware sales and that is a good thing that helps software sales. Long term I am not saying this is the big move that will save the console, but it doesn't harm Nintendos long term goal in any way.

It harms Nintendo's Long-Term goal of making the GamePad popular. It harms Nintendo's plan to make the Wii U a success. It harms Nintendo's credibility. Nintendo may make a quick buck but is it worth it? In chess is it worth it to take the Bishop by sacrificing your Queen? You can't think, "what is the next step for Nintendo and how will it affect them now." You have to think, "What are the next 100 steps for Nintendo and how will it affect them 5 years from now."

Does any of what I am saying make sense to you? If not then someone else might want to give it a try.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

blaisedinsd

OptometristLime wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@blaisdinsd
Your topic is off topic, because Nintendo already said that they won't make a GamePad-less SKU.

That already rules out the entire thread, which is why we're explaining to you why they won't offer it separately.

I haven't seen it and I am pretty sure it would have been mentioned much earlier in the thread if that was the case.

I think you are either mistaken or you are making stuff up. Provide evidence, admit your mistake, confess to posting troll bait, or don't respond and we will know you are full of it.

Pot, meet kettle.

I've been paying close attention to this thread, and have even attempted to take your GamePad suggestion in good faith. But ultimately this thread makes a stronger case for buying a McDonald's value meal, than a legitimate attempt at advancing Nintendo's market share.

What in the world are you talking about?

Have I claimed this new SKU is announced?

SW-7087-5868-6390

Donalp15

'Tablet controller is central to the future success of the Wii U', says Iwata.
Miyamoto: 'GamePad needs to be better utilized for single-player Wii U games'

Does this sound like they are dropping, or even considering an optional package?

Some links in case you do not believe me:

http://www.gamedynamo.com/article/showarticle/7347/en/miyamot...
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/69137/nintendo-aims-...
http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_will_not_drop_support...

Edited on by Donalp15

FC 0516 7736 7877

Jaz007

I think they could lose what consumer faith in the system is left. I can only think of one game that's third-party, not coming to current systems, is Project Cars, and I haven't heard anything about for over a year. I'm not sure it's getting any real third-party games right now that are next gen. It's already becoming a Nintendo box sadly, I don't think it could take the hit in consumer faith.

Jaz007

MikeLove

I think the Wii-U should be marketed like the Taco Bell Big Box Meal, where the consumer pays the set price ($250) and gets to pick between getting a pro controller or a gamepad with their purchase, or perhaps it could be sold like the BK King Deal where on Mondays the Wii-U comes with a gamepad and on Wednesday it comes with a pro controller.

MikeLove

OptometristLime

blaisedinsd wrote:

OptometristLime wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@blaisdinsd

Pot, meet kettle.

No. You called out SCAR's post, which makes a reasonable claim that you have ignored each time it arises. Namely that Nintendo is attached to the Game Pad idea, has incorporated it into their product at the fundamental level, and have no plans to disavow the standard SKU (which like it or not, is what it would mean to offer a 'Pad-less bundle).

Meanwhile this thread is willing to postulate with no effort to support said claim (through official means); so I find your motion for credibility to be a tenuous gesture at best, and self-defeating at worst.

EDIT
You can substitute one of my arguments for one of @JohnRedcorn 's for no charge, provided you select one of equal value.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

skywake

@blaisedinsd
Firstly the fact that you've got the entire community against you and you seem to be obsessed with only countering SCAR in the last two pages should say something about the quality of your argument. Just throwing that out there. The McDonalds analogy is just plain old ridiculous, Maccas doesn't sell platforms they sell consumables. The fries in a value meal would be like the Marios on the Wii U. If the GamePad is anything in this analogy then it's the ability for franchises to sell heavily advertised items on the menu. The hardware is the store not the meal.

As for your most recent comparison saying that removing the GamePad is no different to Wii Motion Plus. That's again entirely mad. Motion Plus was aggressively pushed, they were giving out the Motion Plus addon for basically nothing with all of the titles that first came out with it. They then put Motion Plus into every single Wii SKU and stopped selling the non-Motion Plus. To ram my major point home even further there is also the fact that Motion Plus didn't make any older games not work for new users. It was fully backwards compatible.

Your point about it boosting sales is your only argument and yet you seemed to be so quick to throw away people's comments about it reducing the overall value of the product. As I've said a few times already in this thread there are a pile of extras the Wii U has that could be cut back if they wanted a cheaper SKU. The GamePad is probably the last thing they should look at getting rid of if the only benefit is cutting the price. Get rid of Wii Backwards compatibility, that alone will probably be worth as much as a GamePad removal.

At the more recent tyrade against SCAR, yet again, and your instance that he's making unsubstantiated troll bait that he must confess to. Purely because Nintendo have made a point of saying that they aren't considering a GamePad-less SKU. Well they did.

Obviously, under the current situation where the company has to report an operating loss, simply executing a price reduction as a way to defuse the situation is not an option. In the short-term, Nintendo will focus on thoroughly enriching the value of the most significant feature of Wii U, the Wii U GamePad.

Unfortunately, as the current situation of Wii U shows, we have not been able to fully communicate the value of the GamePad. We also realize that we have not been successful in answering consumers’ questions such as, “What is the difference between Wii U and the previous platform, Wii, and what is the benefit of upgrading it?” By looking at the current sales situation, I am aware that this is due to our lack of effort. What’s even worse is that there even appear to be not a small number of consumers who think the GamePad is one of the accessories for the previous platform, Wii.
It is more challenging to convey the appeal of the GamePad to consumers who do not engage with video games that often since they do not actively gather information about video games. Therefore, we intend to take on this challenge, and I would like to have this solved before the year-end sales season.

In order to do this, it is obvious that our top priority task this year is to offer software titles that are made possible because of the GamePad.

We have managed to offer several of such software titles for occasions when many people gather in one place to play, but we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user’s gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad. This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto’s software development department this year.

They don't explicitly say that they're not working on a GamePad-less SKU but they more or less did say that. First they said that it's not as simple as just a price drop which in and of itself would rule out any cut-priced options. Though that said they'd say that anyway so I wouldn't read into that too much other than the fact that they made a point of it. Then they make a point of saying that the GamePad is the most significant feature of the Wii U. So to counter your argument Nintendo themselves are arguing that the GamePad is central to the Wii U.

Even more than that though. They then go on to say that they're currently working on more games that require it. So if their plan was to make it optional they're doing it wrong. If it's optional why would they start making more games? Short of saying explicitly "blaisedinsd, you are wrong, this is a bad idea" they couldn't have said much more to rule out your GamePad-less SKU as an option.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Jaz007

JohnRedcorn wrote:

I think the Wii-U should be marketed like the Taco Bell Big Box Meal, where the consumer pays the set price ($250) and gets to pick between getting a pro controller or a gamepad with their purchase, or perhaps it could be sold like the BK King Deal where on Mondays the Wii-U comes with a gamepad and on Wednesday it comes with a pro controller.

Or Nintendo could just sell the better controller the system is built on and some games require. Your lacks any sort of logic. Espcially when you get to the BK idea.

Jaz007

blaisedinsd

DefHalan wrote:

The Wii had been out for about 3 years before Wii-Motion Plus came out. Wii Motion Plus is also to enhance the GamePlay not make it equal to what Nintendo sold before.

Those games would not be cancelled but they would be re-worked to work without the GamePad, so extra time and money would have to be spent.

No the GamePad functionality is not expensive but why spend the time and money on it if it isn't important?

If you are just talking about making a second SKU, then it would be a profitable move. Nintendo isn't just trying to make a profit, they are trying to introduce a new way to play. Nintendo wants to break the boundaries of 1 screen for console gaming. Nintendo wants a new way for the player to interact with their console games that the 3DS can't do. The Wii U and GamePad aren't about surviving in the industry, it is about changing the industry and the way we play games.

If Nintendo kept making games that support the GamePad then those 1 million wouldn't be able to play those games. If Nintendo didn't support the GamePad then people wanting the GamePad to be supported would be upset. Why sell something if you don't support it? (and I mean that for both SKUs)

Anytime someone mentions how it will affect a customer it will affect Nintendo. If the customer isn't happy then they will not give Nintendo their money causing Nintendo to suffer. So it isn't off-topic.

It harms Nintendo's Long-Term goal of making the GamePad popular. It harms Nintendo's plan to make the Wii U a success. It harms Nintendo's credibility. Nintendo may make a quick buck but is it worth it? In chess is it worth it to take the Bishop by sacrificing your Queen? You can't think, "what is the next step for Nintendo and how will it affect them now." You have to think, "What are the next 100 steps for Nintendo and how will it affect them 5 years from now."

Does any of what I am saying make sense to you? If not then someone else might want to give it a try.

In general we will just have to agree to disagree on most of this, but I will go ahead and tell you why I disagree.

Not really sure what to say about your motion plus comment. 3 years needs to be waited? I don't see a point about why an optional gamepad is a bad idea.

What games would need to be reworked and why? A game that requires the gamepad will still require the gamepad. Those types of games can/will/should still be developed by nintendo. If you are talking about the existing library than I agree there is some expense. The simplest way is to simply patch system software to go in to off TV play mode when there is not gamepad connected and display the screen on the television. I guess there may be some wierdness with some games expecting touch input, and that type of thing would need some quality control sure, and it is an expense, but I can't recall playing a game off TV that forced me to use touch or anything. Even all the mundane system functions that require the gamepad allow me to use the butons on the gamepad.

Why spend the time and money on GP functions if they are not important? This just seem silly to me. Why is GP functionallity suddenly not important? This is just more of the false dilemma where offering the option somehow morphs in to the idea that GP is being abandoned in the listeners head. It's a false dilemma.

Nintendo is not trying to be profitable,they are trying to what exactly? Are you serious? I guess you have some romantic view of Nintendo as this altruistic entity trying to artisitically craft gaming experiences they only charge for to pay for their over head. I think that's cute. uch

I don't see any harm coming to any of Nintendos customers and you have not demonstrated that it would outside of the false dilemma that lead to people being upset they didn't support the gamepad and then making them suffer for it by not giving them money.

So is it worth it? Yeah, outside of some quality control and repackaging it doesn't cost them much and it doesn't cost their customers anything.

SW-7087-5868-6390

blaisedinsd

Donalp15 wrote:

'Tablet controller is central to the future success of the Wii U', says Iwata.
Miyamoto: 'GamePad needs to be better utilized for single-player Wii U games'

Does this sound like they are dropping, or even considering an optional package?

Some links in case you do not believe me:

http://www.gamedynamo.com/article/showarticle/7347/en/miyamot...
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/69137/nintendo-aims-...
http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_will_not_drop_support...

Yes, I heard all that before I even realized all the signs this optional SKU was coming.

I agree with all of this as a good strategy for the console and if you are actually paying attention carefully you would realize this is all possible even while offering an SKU with no gamepad.

There is nothing in there denying the possibility of a starter SKU.

I agree it doesn't make it sound like a strategy they would consider, but I never claimed Nintendo has been telegraphing this move and you should see it coming. I am saying it makes so much sense that I am predicting it will happen basically the way the 2DS bomb dropped on us. It came out of nowhere, surprised everyone, sparked nintendo hater-aid fountains from all corners of the internet, and then it came out the same day as huge franchise not dependent on the gimmick and most clear thinking people realized how it made all the sense in the world.

This strategy is a great idea to help the console, but there is no need to put all their eggs in the GP basket. A multi-pronged sales strategy is the better course.

Pitting this strategy as an opposing one to the idea in this thread is a false dilemma. They can scratch their head and chew bublegum at the same time. The strategies do not in any actual way contradict each other anymore than selling value meals contradicts selling big macs and fries individually.

SW-7087-5868-6390

DefHalan

@blaisedinsd

You are not here to have a discussion about this idea. You are here to tell people why Nintendo should do this. It is a bad idea as I and many others explained before. If you want to stick to your guns and fight that your idea is the best plan then make a blog. When you are ready to have a discussion about it then come back. Making the GamePad optional is a quick and rash decision that has more negatives than positives. Making more games that utilize the GamePad in unique ways is what will sell the system. Sure upgrading some of their other features (unifying accounts and fast VC releases) will help but what sells systems, what has always determined who "wins" the "console wars" has been the games.

Developers don't have a problem with the controller, they have a problem with the architecture. Customers don't have a problem with the controller, they don't see many good games for the system. Analyst don't have a issue with the GamePad they have an issue Nintendo's online services. So what problems does making the GamePad optional fix?

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

blaisedinsd

OptometristLime wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

OptometristLime wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@blaisdinsd

Pot, meet kettle.

No. You called out SCAR's post, which makes a reasonable claim that you have ignored each time it arises. Namely that Nintendo is attached to the Game Pad idea, has incorporated it into their product at the fundamental level, and have no plans to disavow the standard SKU (which like it or not, is what it would mean to offer a 'Pad-less bundle).

Meanwhile this thread is willing to postulate with no effort to support said claim (through official means); so I find your motion for credibility to be a tenuous gesture at best, and self-defeating at worst.

EDIT
You can substitute one of my arguments for one of @JohnRedcorn 's for no charge, provided you select one of equal value.

A reasonable claim? Its a flat out lie dude.

I understand that the things Nintendo is saying seem to fly in the face of the idea of this thread. I am fully aware of that even before I started it if I have not made that clear.

I still think it's coming, because I can see that these strategies do not actually contradict each other. I think, if anything they complement each other.

Lower cost. Increase profit. Give consumers choices. Capitalize on the launch of a huge game that does not depend on the gimmick. Generate buzz. Reduce consumer confusion (The GP enhances the console).

Am I the only one who can look and see that GP enhancement and GP optional are both beneficial strategies that can be pursued simultaneously?

SW-7087-5868-6390

MikeLove

Jaz007 wrote:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Or Nintendo could just sell the better controller the system is built on and some games require. Your lacks any sort of logic. Espcially when you get to the BK idea.

Untitled

MikeLove

LzWinky

blaisedinsd wrote:

A reasonable claim? Its a flat out lie dude.

I understand that the things Nintendo is saying seem to fly in the face of the idea of this thread. I am fully aware of that even before I started it if I have not made that clear.

I still think it's coming, because I can see that these strategies do not actually contradict each other. I think, if anything they complement each other.

Lower cost. Increase profit. Give consumers choices. Capitalize on the launch of a huge game that does not depend on the gimmick. Generate buzz. Reduce consumer confusion (The GP enhances the console).

Am I the only one who can look and see that GP enhancement and GP optional are both beneficial strategies that can be pursued simultaneously?

And how exactly is it beneficial? If they made it optional, then there would be even less support for it, making its existence pointless

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Jaz007

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Untitled

It can be hard to tell sometimes on the Internet.

Jaz007

skywake

We've now entered bizarro land. Where Nintendo saying they're actively making games that rely on the GamePad is somehow supporting evidence to a SKU that doesn't include the GamePad. That they're also going to retroactively patch games to make them work without the GamePad and have third parties and indies do the same. All so they can make a cheaper SKU built with the intent of getting people to get the GamePad anyway so they can buy those new games that require it.

And everyone against this idea is being paranoid because it's abundantly clear that Nintendo are not abandoning it.................................................................................. which is not going to impact negatively on the people who don't have the GamePad because they'll both patch support for not having it in and those people will buy the GamePad anyway.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Kyloctopus

Wait...wasn't this thread supposed to end 100 posts ago? That's why I refrained from posting.

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

I don't even know what's going on here, honestly. Nor do I see why there's anything to argue. They'd screw over early adopters, lose the single defining feature of the Wii U, and lose their reputation. It's like if they stopped bundling the Wii with motion controllers in favor of the Classic Controller Pro. What would be the point of buying the Wii? It'd just be a PS2, except more expensive. It certainly wouldn't be as impressive as the PS3 and 360. They'd also be admitting that Motion controls were a failure, and look like fools for ever including them in the first place. They'd lose consumer trust, and less people would be willing to invest in later platforms. It would be a SEGA level mistake, like when they released the Sega CD, then ended support in a year.

The Wii U would be in that very position, and honestly, I think all it would do is hurt people's trust in them. Consumer trust is not something they want to lose, especially since their loyal fanbase is the biggest part of their console install base right now.

To answer the question: They could potentially lose everything.
/thread

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.