Wii U Forum

Topic: What does Nintendo have to lose by making the gamepad "optional"?

Showing 101 to 120 of 724

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gaming_24_7

101. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Can't start Wii mode with out it either, really lame because I have to go put the thing away or grab a different controller once I am in Wii mode.

I don't need the GamePad for starting the Wii-Mode. I turn my WiiU on (with Wii-Remote) and use the Wii-Remote to start the Wii-Mode. So I don't have to change controllers.

Edited on by gaming_24_7

gaming_24_7

Nintendo Network ID: Chandlero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

102. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

gaming_24_7 wrote:

What is your point? If you don't like the GamePad, you can stop using it. You don't need it to turn the console on and you don't need it to control the menu or games. It is as optional as you want it.

Uh the game pad is needed to use both Miiverse and the eshop.

I'd say the gamepad is probably somewear near the bottom of the Wii U's issues.

You are right about Miiverse being a much lamer experience with out a gamepad(touch screen). That's a reason I would tell anyone to get the gamepad bundle.

The eshop is more convenient on the gamepad, but there is not reason not to allow the use of a controller for this....is there?

Considering the possibility of allowing the option is not a reason to go on and on about what the gamepad is great for or the things you can't currently do with out it. You don't have to sell me on how great the gamepad is. That is all anyone is doing for the most part. We are not talking about eliminating it, we are talking about givnig people an option to choose that if it is what they want. The 8GB model was sort of unwanted doesn't mean it should not have been an option for people, if you didn't want Nintendo land it made some good sense to people to save the $50. We don't need all this talk about how much it would suck for us to give up our gamepads, that is off topic for this thread.

The only reasons against offering the "starter kit" bundle that seem to not be over reaction is the brand confusion aspect.
The other reason that no one seems to discuss is the trouble of patching games and the OS to accomodate it. I think the OS should patched anyway however.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

103. Posted:

gaming_24_7 wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Can't start Wii mode with out it either, really lame because I have to go put the thing away or grab a different controller once I am in Wii mode.

I don't need the GamePad for starting the Wii-Mode. I turn my WiiU on (with Wii-Remote) and use the Wii-Remote to start the Wii-Mode. So I don't have to change controllers.

I will have to try this, did it get patched in an update? Are you using HDMI connection?

When using HDMI, it would make me actually change the TV input to the Wii U in order to select the option. I could not even blindly select the option by pointing at the sensor bar, it was not selectable unless the TV was displaying.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gaming_24_7

104. Posted:

Actually, I don't use HDMI on my TV, but I could test it on my monitor with HDMI and I'm quite sure it would work the same.

Is it possible the use the Miiverse with the Wii Remote? Yes, of course, I just did it :)

Edited on by gaming_24_7

gaming_24_7

Nintendo Network ID: Chandlero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

105. Posted:

gaming_24_7 wrote:

Actually, I don't use HDMI on my TV, but I could test it on my monitor with HDMI and I'm quite sure it would work the same.

Is it possible the use the Miiverse with the Wii Remote? Yes, of course, I just did it :)

You would think it would work the same but it did not when the feature was intially released (off Tv wii mode).

They did add wii remote support for miiverse didn't they....I forgot. (never used it)

See, we already have plenty of evidence Nintendo is moving in this direction anyway. The gamepad is a great feature, it is even better when its optional.

And to the point that the gamepad is a controller.....its not entirely accurate. The pro controller is the same thing as a the gamepad without the second/touch screen, gyroscope basically (yes and the IR and NFC). The system is 95% fine with out a touch screen or second screen. Sure some games are developed around 2 screens, but most games support OFF TV play on a single screen so whether that screen is on the TV or the gamepad the majority of Wii U games can be enjoyed with a single screen. This didn't quite sink in till I got a pro-controller. If I am playing a single screen type of game it shouldn't matter whether I am using the gamepad or the procontroller. Having to fetch the gamepad in those situations is only an inconvenience.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

106. Posted:

Since almost everyone disagrees with me, and to go in another direction, don't you think the system software should allow the option of using a non-gamepad controller for mundane tasks such as password entry and system settings?

Whether or not they were to offer a "starter kit" bundle I think the software should develop in this direction. If I am going to play a game on the TV why should I have to go fetch my gamepad just to enter a password, and then put it back on the charger, and then go back to my couch to sit down and play, and then wonder how the heck I lost my pro-controller while I was doing all that? Just give me the option to enter the password with my controller already.....geez man. (same thing with the non-sense of needing the TV AND the gamepad to boot in to Wii mode where I will use the TV OR the gamepad, make it so you only need one screen to do things instead of both)

I am sure some people would opt for a used console with no gamepad if the system software made it more attractive whether Nintendo release a "starter set" or not (most likely to play Kart or Smash). Should Nintendo be worried about people trying to do that and keep the system software tethered to the gamepad just to prevent such shenanigans?

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

107. Posted:

@blaisedinsd
Changing the settings and password with another controller will probably and should happen, but they still want users to have the GamePad, because it gives more software and OS options.

Having the GamePad expands their potential and existing software. Just imagine having a 1 screened DS. You wouldn't be able to run much, if any of the software.

The console is built around it, and consumers aren't really paying extra for it, at its current $300 price point. It literally makes no sense for it to be optional, from a financial and conceptual point of view.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

108. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@blaisedinsd
Changing the settings and password with another controller will probably and should happen, but they still want users to have the GamePad, because it gives more software and OS options.

Having the GamePad expands their potential and existing software. Just imagine having a 1 screened DS. You wouldn't be able to run much, if any of the software.

The console is built around it, and consumers aren't really paying extra for it, at its current $300 price point. It literally makes no sense for it to be optional, from a financial and conceptual point of view.

You still sticking to that fuzzy math I guess. Your math literally makes no sense. The Price point things are sold at is completely independant of how much it costs to produce them. As I pointed out, whether it's $500 or $200 that its sold for a gamepad still costs more to produce than a pro controller. Nintendo is the one paying more for it, not the consumer.

It is in no way the same thing as the DS because the vast majority of Wii u software supports OFF TV play which by definition is a single screen experience. Isn't it a good thing to have that experience available on either screen?

I think my Wii U should work just as well whether my single screen is a gamepad or a television. Conceptually that is what is best for the user. Games that are designed as a 2 screen experience will need 2 screens to be played, but those games are not the norm by any means, so don't limit me artificially and force me to constantly change controllers for no reason.

GAMEPAD FOR LIFE!!!!!!

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

109. Posted:

I guess this is off topic, but why can't a game like NSMBU allow 2 screen multiplayer?

Is that game pushing the hardware too hard to allow it?

I think you should be able to have 2 players in the same level at the same time but on different screens right? One should be able to stand at the beginning of the level and the other at the flagpole instead of having to always be on the same screen. Isn't that technically possible on the Wii U? Do games like COD allow this type of multiplayer where it is 2 screens instead of split screen? That seems like something the Wii U should do more of, maybe it already does in games I don't have. Is that limitation in the mario games just a design choice because it is more fun to keep the players on the same screen?

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

110. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

I guess this is off topic, but why can't a game like NSMBU allow 2 screen multiplayer?

Is that game pushing the hardware too hard to allow it?

I think you should be able to have 2 players in the same level at the same time but on different screens right? One should be able to stand at the beginning of the level and the other at the flagpole instead of having to always be on the same screen. Isn't that technically possible on the Wii U? Do games like COD allow this type of multiplayer where it is 2 screens instead of split screen? That seems like something the Wii U should do more of, maybe it already does in games I don't have. Is that limitation in the mario games just a design choice because it is more fun to keep the players on the same screen?

I can't speak for Nintendo but I am pretty sure it was a design choice. Multiplayer Mario has been more focus on Party style play rather than co-op. I also don't own any of the COD games but I have heard that they do allow that function

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

111. Posted:

@blaisedinsd
I don't think anyone would be against them making eShop and MiiVerse navigation possible without the GamePad. The ability to post a quick game image using just the Pro Controller would be a nice little feature. However getting rid of the GamePad from a new SKU is not a good idea. That's like saying some parts of the 3DS should be easier to navigate without the second screen and they should enable that by making a single screened 3DS.

No, just no. It's a bad idea.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

112. Posted:

skywake wrote:

@blaisedinsd
I don't think anyone would be against them making eShop and MiiVerse navigation possible without the GamePad. The ability to post a quick game image using just the Pro Controller would be a nice little feature. However getting rid of the GamePad from a new SKU is not a good idea. That's like saying some parts of the 3DS should be easier to navigate without the second screen and they should enable that by making a single screened 3DS.

No, just no. It's a bad idea.

Well yeah, let me use the eshop and stuff without the gamepad. That is the big thing for me. (and let me do my gamepad stuff with out needing the TV- I am looking at you Wii mode)

As far as a new SKU, I still think it will happen at some point, but even if it didn't the software update would still make it a plenty attractive option for certain people to run their console with no gamepad. You can get the console with out the gamepad pretty cheap right now if you look for it.

And they already make a single screen 3DS, its called the 2DS (which is technically manufactured as one screen even if it looks like two to the user)

Edited on by blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LegatoSkyheart

113. Posted:

I've always thought the Gamepad was a novelty the first time I played it.
Gaming without the TV is the sole reason why it's there. Developers need to add nothing more than just that to the games. If it's something obvious like Golf or whatever then use the Touch Pad for Gaming purposes. But other than that. Leave it out, it's just a screen on the controller so you don't have to hook your system up to a TV.

LegatoSkyheart

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

114. Posted:

The only unique idea I see presented here, is that the OP would like Nintendo to return Off-TV duties to the TV.

Untitled

blaisedinsd wrote:

We don't need all this talk about how much it would suck for us to give up our gamepads, that is off topic for this thread.

So you admit that this thread has no purpose?

Edited on by OptometristLime

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

115. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

And they already make a single screen 3DS, its called the 2DS (which is technically manufactured as one screen even if it looks like two to the user)

It's technically one screen but it's still effectively two screens. Doesn't make a difference and wasn't what I was saying.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

116. Posted:

OptometristLime wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

We don't need all this talk about how much it would suck for us to give up our gamepads, that is off topic for this thread.

So you admit that this thread has no purpose?

Actually it confirmed for me that the only reasons anyone can come up with why a no gamepad wii u won't be sold is a bunch of baseless fear of it becoming irrelevant along with some possible consumer confusion that could be managed. I definitely think this is going to happen in the consoles life and probably sooner than later.

It also confirmed that no one sees any reason the gamepad needs to be required for certain mundane functions that could also be done with a controller.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

117. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

OptometristLime wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

We don't need all this talk about how much it would suck for us to give up our gamepads, that is off topic for this thread.

So you admit that this thread has no purpose?

Actually it confirmed for me that the only reasons anyone can come up with why a no gamepad wii u won't be sold is a bunch of baseless fear of it becoming irrelevant along with some possible consumer confusion that could be managed. I definitely think this is going to happen in the consoles life and probably sooner than later.

It also confirmed that no one sees any reason the gamepad needs to be required for certain mundane functions that could also be done with a controller.

The GamePad is required for Nintendo to deliver the experiences they want to. Maybe recent releases haven't done anything to important with the GamePad but many people had the same complaint about the Wii (minus Wii Sports) when it first came out.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

118. Posted:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Actually it confirmed for me that the only reasons anyone can come up with why a no gamepad wii u won't be sold is a bunch of baseless fear of it becoming irrelevant along with some possible consumer confusion that could be managed. I definitely think this is going to happen in the consoles life and probably sooner than later.

Because what's more consumer confusion, less features and messed up support for GamePad compatible games when.... oh wait, and the positive was what?

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

119. Posted:

skywake wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

Actually it confirmed for me that the only reasons anyone can come up with why a no gamepad wii u won't be sold is a bunch of baseless fear of it becoming irrelevant along with some possible consumer confusion that could be managed. I definitely think this is going to happen in the consoles life and probably sooner than later.

Because what's more consumer confusion, less features and messed up support for GamePad compatible games when.... oh wait, and the positive was what?

Oh I know this one... a small number of sales from the price cut that would happen do to not including the GamePad. We saw from the last Price Cut that people don't care how low the console goes if there isn't enough "Must Haves"

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

120. Posted:

The only reason that it makes any sense to question the Game Pad is because at this point in time, it has yet to be fully implemented. Within the foreseeable future Nintendo plans to unroll additional features to expand the Game Pad's function and autonomy, hoping to expand the console's appeal. A bare bones SKU will nevertheless lack the impending wow-factor of technologies like Near Field Communication and the more fully realized Nintendo experience that will no doubt unfold as the console reaches maturity.

An admittedly macabre analogy - you don't amputate when the patient is bleeding out.
In other words you seem to be prescribing an extreme route which could be avoided entirely by stabilizing the current situation.

AJ_Lethal wrote:

DON'T DARE TO TALK CRAP ABOUT GOAT SIMULATOR.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.