Wii U Forum

Topic: What do you expect from Metroid U?

Showing 41 to 60 of 79

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

41. Posted:

I meant I didn't understand what you said, but you edited your post. Quit being so mean.

DudeSean wrote:

The Metroid Games: Samus does somersaults all over the place shooting in all directions. Jumping off of walls and stuff.

The Metroid Prime Games: You control like a tank and are barely able to push yourself up off the ground. You can do wall jumps as long as the wall is a pretty color.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

42. Posted:

So the Prime games are not Metroid games because Samus isn't fast enough? :/

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

43. Posted:

It's not just about speed, but overall agility. And technically speaking, no, they're no Metroid games. They're a spin-off series developed by Texans, produced by Miyamoto, a man who has never worked on a Metroid game before.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

44. Posted:

That's a pretty minor part of the game experience. At most there was a slightly increased emphasis on combat in the games (they started to go more towards that after 1 admittedly) instead of running...which pretty much existed for the sake of the Speed Booster. Which, like the entirety of the series, just existed to find new puzzles and to get through old areas with less trouble. If you go through Super Metroid quickly until you found the Screw Attack/unlimited jump (which I never liked as it made going through old areas so boring and easy, even as someone who defends Epic Yarn's lack of dying), there will be plenty of you getting hit by random enemies. While I genuinely love the 2d Metroids, it's always felt so odd that a game with such emphasis on atmosphere is supposed to be played almost like a 2d shooter at times. Rarely bad, just...odd. Granted, the Prime games do to, but the first game seems to save it for bosses, minibosses and space pirate battles instead of...most of the game. It's ultimately a minor complaint though, a lot of the time the Metroid games in general are great examples of combining fun gameplay with great atmosphere.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

45. Posted:

And to me, Metroid is about exploration, puzzle solving, and taking down giant aliens/robots. Not pouncing around everywhere like some ninja kitty.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

46. Posted:

The point of this is really that being a quick action game is not what Metroid is about. I'm not even a huge fan of the original NES game, but I went back to it over and over again. And one of the reasons is that like some of the best NES games, it got how to make a player not just rush through a game and to take in the atmosphere of the game (although neither have aged the best imo). I like Super Metroid far more though, because it is legitimately an amazing game and like Prime really got how to combine great gameplay and atmosphere or being an explorer...or in this case bounty hunter, on this silly alien world. But as soon as insist that a game in the series is not a Metroid game and compare it to Doom, it is abundantly clear that you didn't get it. And I rarely say that but it is true. If you don't like the game, fine, but you can easily point to any of the later 2d games and completely bury them compared to the original (and maybe 2 also?) if you want to use logic of what a "true Metroid game" is. And I just brought up Super Metroid, considering the decrease in exploration in the GBA Metroid games and increase in traditional narrative, there's other stuff I could talk about.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

47. Posted:

Untitled

kkslider5552000 wrote:

That's a pretty minor part of the game experience.

For me, how the game is played is a major part of the game experience.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

At most there was a slightly increased emphasis on combat in the games (they started to go more towards that after 1 admittedly) instead of running...which pretty much existed for the sake of the Speed Booster. Which, like the entirety of the series, just existed to find new puzzles and to get through old areas with less trouble. If you go through Super Metroid quickly until you found the Screw Attack/unlimited jump (which I never liked as it made going through old areas so boring and easy, even as someone who defends Epic Yarn's lack of dying), there will be plenty of you getting hit by random enemies. While I genuinely love the 2d Metroids, it's always felt so odd that a game with such emphasis on atmosphere is supposed to be played almost like a 2d shooter at times. Rarely bad, just...odd. Granted, the Prime games do to, but the first game seems to save it for bosses, minibosses and space pirate battles instead of...most of the game. It's ultimately a minor complaint though, a lot of the time the Metroid games in general are great examples of combining fun gameplay with great atmosphere.

Okay.

Erica_Hartmann wrote:

And to me, Metroid is about exploration, puzzle solving, and taking down giant aliens/robots. Not pouncing around everywhere like some ninja kitty.

I like pouncing around everywhere like some ninja kitty. That's what makes Super Metroid so awesome. Yes, there's exploring, puzzle solving and giant aliens, but you get to pounce around everywhere like some ninja kitty while doing it. In Metroid Prime, you do not. You play the same as you're playing 007 or Call of Duty. Which makes is much more boring. Not to mention, the old Metroid games were pick up and play. In Metroid Prime, you if play it in short bursts, you'll spend a lot of those short bursts just walking from one save station to the next. That's exciting.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

The point of this is really that being a quick action game is not what Metroid is about.

Actually, all of the Metroid (sans Prime) games are about quick action. Look at Other M, for example. All anyone ever talks about in that game is the story, but I don't care about story in video games. It's all about the gameplay for me. And that's where Other M shines. Quick action gameplay. I get to pounce around like some ninja kitty again, just like in the classic Metroid games. I loved it.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm not even a huge fan of the original NES game,

I am.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

but I went back to it over and over again. And one of the reasons is that like some of the best NES games, it got how to make a player not just rush through a game and to take in the atmosphere of the game (although neither have aged the best imo).

The game rewards you for rushing through the game. And the graphics for each area are almost always the same... which doesn't seem very atmospheric to me. I don't know what you mean by "neither" since you're talking about Metroid.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I like Super Metroid far more though,

Really?

kkslider5552000 wrote:

because it is legitimately an amazing game and like Prime really got how to combine great gameplay and atmosphere or being an explorer...or in this case bounty hunter, on this silly alien world. But as soon as insist that a game in the series is not a Metroid game and compare it to Doom, it is abundantly clear that you didn't get it. And I rarely say that but it is true. If you don't like the game, fine, but you can easily point to any of the later 2d games and completely bury them compared to the original (and maybe 2 also?) if you want to use logic of what a "true Metroid game" is. And I just brought up Super Metroid, considering the decrease in exploration in the GBA Metroid games and increase in traditional narrative, there's other stuff I could talk about.

I didn't bring up anything about exploration. Just agility. Which is where all the Metroid (sans Prime) games do a much better job at and is something that I really like about those games.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

48. Posted:

Whatever you say dude...I don't care, all that matters is that I enjoyed the Prime games, and loved the epic battles in it.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

49. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

Untitled

google image search. Ok. ...ok. ?

DudeSean wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

but I went back to it over and over again. And one of the reasons is that like some of the best NES games, it got how to make a player not just rush through a game and to take in the atmosphere of the game (although neither have aged the best imo).

The game rewards you for rushing through the game. And the graphics for each area are almost always the same... which doesn't seem very atmospheric to me. I don't know what you mean by "neither" since you're talking about Metroid.

The game rewards you for knowing the game on repeated visits and memorization for the sake of replay value. First time going through, not so much. First time player trying to rush through Metroid would be painful to watch. I should know, I was that player. And yeah, the atmosphere of the game hasn't aged well but that's to be expected. Castlevania was supposed to be scary and Legend of Zelda was supposed to be an epic adventure and that sounds kinda like a joke compared to today's standards. With Metroid I really get the sense they were going with this dark, sci-fi feel to it, or the best that Nintendo in the mid 80s could think of. I'm admittedly not a huge sci-fi guy so I'm not saying I'm right with this, but that's what I've always felt they were going with. Some of the odd music and weird designs compared to other NES platforming games especially. The original item room song is still just kinda creepy, all things considered.

also I am not the best at double checking everything I type so I say dumb things like using neither when referring to one game. Yeah.

But in general, and granted what I should have focused on, is that it isn't about opinion. It's that Prime fits as a Metroid game. Instead of crazy jumping you have STRAFE SHOOT THE MONSTER, AW MONSTER BEHIND ME. Being slower to get to areas (which is arguable at times, some of the larger rooms in the 2d games can take a while if you don't know what you're doing) doesn't make it invalid as a part of the series. It's just generic "they changed it now it sucks" logic that I am horribly sick of, especially from some fans of Nintendo's main series. I didn't even get to the main point that METROID PRIME DOESN'T PLAY LIKE QUAKE OR DOOM. IT JUST DOESN'T.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

50. Posted:

Have you played Quake or Doom? It does play like that.

There are differences between the "Metroid Prime" series and the "Metroid" series. You can't lump them all up in to one category. I mean, you could, but they deserve to be in different subcategories, due to their differences.

Strafe jumping does not give me as much pleasure as wall jumping up to areas that otherwise I'd have to wait until another hour or so of gameplay to get to. And that's funny that you even compared a "large room" in a 2D Metroid game to the same as a "large room" in a 3D Metroid game.

I never said that Metroid Prime sucks. Just that I prefer the more agile Samus over the might-as-well-be-generic-solider Samus.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

51. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

Have you played Quake or Doom? It does play like that.

There are differences between the "Metroid Prime" series and the "Metroid" series. You can't lump them all up in to one category. I mean, you could, but they deserve to be in different subcategories, due to their differences.

Strafe jumping does not give me as much pleasure as wall jumping up to areas that otherwise I'd have to wait until another hour or so of gameplay to get to. And that's funny that you even compared a "large room" in a 2D Metroid game to the same as a "large room" in a 3D Metroid game.

I never said that Metroid Prime sucks. Just that I prefer the more agile Samus over the might-as-well-be-generic-solider Samus.

That's ironic considering Doom and Quake have extremely fast first-person gameplay. Retro slowed things down so the player would be focused on exploration. That's what the metroid games are all about. Metroid was never meant to be a pure action game. It was meant to combine the best aspects of Mario and Zelda originally, which meant make it a puzzle adventure game with side scrolling platforming. The fact that you can do crazy wall jumps and move faster than most people can think in the older Metroid titles doesn't mean that's how the game was meant to be played. That's just someone getting crazy good at something and the developers allowing that person to show off their skills. The Metroid Prime games are the most atmospheric in the series, so they're the best at being Metroid. If you want ninja kitty, go play Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta. You won't find much of that with Nintendo.

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

52. Posted:

You're right. Doom and Quake are faster paced. In fact, if Metroid Prime were more like Doom and Quake's speed, it would actually be more like the classic Metroid games.

Exploration. Not since Super Metroid has a Metroid game been about exploration. Now they're all "go here and do this" games. Something that the more recent 2D games are guilty of, too. Metroid Prime 1 did it the best and Metroid Prime 3 is the worst. I can't stand to play that game.

I'm fine with Metroid not being a pure action game, but strafe jumping does not make up for Samus' lack of mobility in the Metroid Prime games. Other M showed that Samus can still be just as mobile in a 3D environment and how first person is a bad choice for the series.

If the designers made the game so it could be played that way, then that is how it was meant to be played. It was made specifically to be able to be played like that. Yes, you did have to get good at it first, but so what? There are no cool tricks to learn in the Metroid Prime games to help you do better in replays.

The Metroid Prime games were the first Metroid games to be on a game system that allowed it to be so atmospheric. So you can't give all the credit to the games themselves, as it was only with the gamecube that the atmosphere was able to be achieved.

Funny how you say ÿou won't find much of that with Nintendo" when Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SomeBitTripFan

53. Posted:

@Xilef: This is a bit late, but do you think that Phaaze is the only Phazon producing planet out there. It must have corrupted at least one other planet during its' existence. Phaaze in reality could be the victum of another Phazon planet.

Just Someloggery
Current Projects: Beloved Titan
On the Back Burner: The Machine, Ascending Entity, Antumbra, Between Two Causes, Heaven's Point, Binary, A Pixel and a Dot, Base O-70, A Wakeful Purgatory
A Vacation is a Click Away!
My Avatar: Where Doge Coin is Going
Where's the Poetry? I'm lazy.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

54. Posted:

I kinda figured once the source of Phazon was destroyed (Dark Samus/Metroid Prime), the Phazon would vanish or whatever. Soooo, yeah...I'm assuming its gone for good.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GamecubeMan

55. Posted:

A Kid Icarus Uprsing reference
since it was metioned in that game it should return the favor :3

Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
I only see GC 4.0 happening if I become a English major. Yeah... not happening.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Void

56. Posted:

GamecubeMan wrote:

A Kid Icarus Uprsing reference
since it was metioned in that game it should return the favor :3

"What is that? An antique storage device attached to a pair of seemingly human female legs?"

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

57. Posted:

HD graphics as many have stated.

I'd like to see something fresh. Unlike many people I really enjoyed Other M, the only problems being the third-person bits (and the story, but I just went and got some food while those played or something else.) I would like another Prime game/2D game, but it'd be interesting to see how well Metroid converts into another perspective.

If we're gonna do another 2D game, that should be on the 3DS rather then Wii U. I'd gladly take Super Metroid remade like Zero Mission (with an assload of extras, and maybe the original SNES game/Zero Mission packaged with it) as long as it's one remake. Two screens and updated graphics could do it a lot of justice. Or we could just get an original game.

ATTENTION: Help me not get killed over a stolen camera. Please, I need your money. http://igg.me/at/twelveouncecamera/x/3629997

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

hylianhalcyon

58. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

The Metroid Prime games were the first Metroid games to be on a game system that allowed it to be so atmospheric. So you can't give all the credit to the games themselves, as it was only with the gamecube that the atmosphere was able to be achieved.

By this logic then Other M should be more atmospheric than Super Metroid and Metroid Prime...which it isn't.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and cultural heritage for profit, or as an exercise of power, are barbarians." - George Lucas, 1988

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

59. Posted:

His argument was that the Metroid Prime games were more atmospheric than the games before it. I suppose it really comes down to what you mean by ätmospheric." I'm pretty much meaning graphically speaking. And by that definition, Other M doesn't have an advantage over the Prime games, as the first two were on the gamecube, which the Wii was barely any more graphically capable, and the third one was on the Wii.

Other M is lacking atmosphere compared to Super Metroid, though

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xilef

60. Posted:

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@Xilef: This is a bit late, but do you think that Phaaze is the only Phazon producing planet out there. It must have corrupted at least one other planet during its' existence. Phaaze in reality could be the victum of another Phazon planet.

I got the Metroid Prime Trilogy and that comes with a piece of paper that explains and summarises the entire MPT story. According to that Phaaze is actually a living being that sends out Levaithans to corrupt other planets and turn them into Phaaze clones. So it may seem that there could be more Phaaze planets out there, however according to the same piece of paper it says that when Phaaze was destroyed all Phazon vanished. So Phaaze was pretty much the "core" and without it Phazon can't exist. You bring up and intresting idea though.

3DS FC: 4940 5422 5472