Forums

Topic: What did you think of the Nintendo Direct in relation to the Wii U?

Posts 241 to 260 of 279

ZyroXZ2

I don't even remember if I posted in this thread before (lol), and I don't know how harsh you'll be on me for not reading all 13 pages, but all I have to say is...

I think the ND was fine. It was a SPRING 2014 ND, not a YEAR of 2014 ND, so they delivered exactly what they set out to deliver, nothing more, nothing less. I'm glad that they showed some 'X' and Bayonetta 2 footage, and announced Little Mac for Smash Bros, but I already knew that it being a Spring ND wouldn't contain the MASSIVE amounts of "OMFGTAKEMYMONEY" moments. We already know they'll be unveiling Zelda at E3, so why in the world did anyone expect an explosive ND for Spring 2014 that comes BEFORE the unveiling of the next Zelda!?!??!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Nintendo Network ID: ZyroXZ2 | Twitter:

Blast

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

I don't even remember if I posted in this thread before (lol), and I don't know how harsh you'll be on me for not reading all 13 pages, but all I have to say is...

I think the ND was fine. It was a SPRING 2014 ND, not a YEAR of 2014 ND, so they delivered exactly what they set out to deliver, nothing more, nothing less. I'm glad that they showed some 'X' and Bayonetta 2 footage, and announced Little Mac for Smash Bros, but I already knew that it being a Spring ND wouldn't contain the MASSIVE amounts of "OMFGTAKEMYMONEY" moments. We already know they'll be unveiling Zelda at E3, so why in the world did anyone expect an explosive ND for Spring 2014 that comes BEFORE the unveiling of the next Zelda!?!??!

Agreed!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

kkslider5552000

skywake wrote:

Ryno wrote:

skywake wrote:

Ever thought that maybe they held back because on the new info of the reaction to how they did it last year? Last year's first Direct of the year they showed Wind Waker HD and announced basically all of the unannounced games for the end of the year. The only thing they left for E3 was DK. Then once they hit E3 and that was all they had the press were all "meh, we knew about this already".

Yeah, Super Mario 3D World was not a big reveal back at E3 or anything.

They announced at last year's January Direct that they would have Kart, Smash and a "3D Mario game" at E3. Most of the reaction they got to it from the Nintendo centric press was "oh, this isn't Super Mario Galaxy 3. You said all this already, where's Metroid?"

And the game didn't look that interesting until later too.

i mean if they don't have a ton left for E3, Nintendo should be HARSHLY criticized and it is probably their fault because of last year that people assume they have nothing and Nintendo is dumb as a company that's supposed to sell their consoles to a large audience to have so few popular upcoming titles in the next 3-4 months or so. That doesn't change anything I've said though.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

shingi_70

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

I think the ND was fine. It was a SPRING 2014 ND, not a YEAR of 2014 ND,

So why did three of the five Wii U games announced far out of the summer. If were arguing semantics than we can put Mario Kart as summer as well.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

kkslider5552000

I think one of Nintendo's big issue is that they haven't had Wii U games that got people like REALLY excited for way too long. Like before release, people, even Nintendo fans weren't treating 3D World as the amazing game it's being praised as (and again, wasn't debuted as well as it should have), Wonderful 101 didn't have much of a chance sadly, and Pikmin 3 might have done well near launch but by August it was just a "oh finally a game!" thing, and Pikmin hasn't become more popular since the GCN days.

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, X, Bayonetta 2, those are the big titles that people are excited about in a AAA important game type of way, if that makes any sense. Personally even though I'm not expecting a great game necessarily, even Hyrule Warriors has me more hyped than anything that's put on Wii U, except Rayman Legends. This is honestly the first time since like 2010 where I feel like the first party Nintendo console games matter as much as the big AAA games elsewhere that people care about (though obviously some more in a "Dark Souls 2" way instead of a"Call of Duty sells 10 million+ copies" way). I'm not saying Wii U will likely destroy the competition or anything, but it's gonna do just fine in the long run.

Super Mario 3D World is the only previous Wii U game (at least post-launch) that mattered in a remotely mainstream way (unless you count Wind Waker remake), is the best way I can put it, and that happened too little too late. If you want an accurate summary of why Wii U has struggled, there you go. Not "oh nothing will sell the console because a remake and running Mario into the ground only led to 5 million consoles sold in a year".

And if people aren't interested in those indie games, their loss. And no, most of the people who won't get those games aren't just gonna get them elsewhere, they just don't want to play games that aren't already well known. Simple as that.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

UGXwolf

SCAR392 wrote:

@shingi_70
Oh ya. That would mean that Smash Bros., Bayonetta, and X would all be coming out this spring. Good point.

EDIT: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/wii_u_and_3ds_ninten...
"a Nintendo Direct focused on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games launching by the end of spring"

People seem to be missing the key word, here, and that's "focused." They didn't say it'd be nothing but Spring titles, they said they were going to focus on Spring titles, and of the big physical releases for Wii U they had to talk about, only two of them were Spring titles, and one of them, barely so. eShop will do its best to fill in the gap, but prepare yourselves to get far more use out of your 3DS, this Spring.

Edited on by UGXwolf

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

SCRAPPER392

@UGXwolf
Smash Bros, Bayonetta, and X don't count as a focus of the presentation? I'm not saying that these games wil for sure be released in spring, but they were just as much part of the presentation as Mario Kart 8 and DKC:TF.

EDIT: Besides, DKC: TF is being released in a week, which is still winter.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Klimbatize

Wow. I'm surprised so many people don't know when seasons start and end. I'm pretty sure that was covered in first grade where I grew up.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

skywake

Klimbatize wrote:

Wow. I'm surprised so many people don't know when seasons start and end. I'm pretty sure that was covered in first grade where I grew up.

They said "upto spring" so obviously they meant between now and the end of November

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

AJEGibert

Loved seeing X in action.
Quite interested in GBA VC (especially Metroid Fusion !)
Not really excited by other infos.

Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle
Yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself.

MikeLove

skywake wrote:

Klimbatize wrote:

They said "upto spring" so obviously they meant between now and the end of November

When Nintendo of America or Japan says "Spring" they are refering to the North American seasons. Spring is March-May.

Edited on by MikeLove

MikeLove

Snagrio

JohnRedcorn wrote:

skywake wrote:

Klimbatize wrote:

When Nintendo of America or Japan says "Spring" they are refering to the North American seasons. Spring is March-May.

Your head. The joke went over it.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

MikeLove

WingedSnagret wrote:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

skywake wrote:

Klimbatize wrote:

Your head. The joke went over it.

Shouldn't jokes be funny? He's in Australia so I thought he was talking about their seasons.

MikeLove

Azooooz

This month's ND in general was good, but not mind-blowing, in my opinion. It delivered exactly what they were aiming for. In terms of Wii U, other than Little Mac reveal, MK8 Koopalings trailer, and X gameplay trailer, I think that Nintendo should focus more on Wii U than 3DS because N3DS presentation in ND was impressive, announcing new games, and more info and release dates for previously announced ones.

I don't get why people are disappointed from this Direct. It's either they had their expectations way too high, or they didn't read the purpose of the direct. If you want to see new big Nintendo titles for Wii U, I suggest waiting until this year's E3.

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

heyzeus002

Nintendo are now jus preaching to the converted.fans like us will care about the likes of mk8 and smash but whether they will in any way help wii u sales in the way people seem to think is unlikely. I hope nintendo use the as yet unused on wii u ip's like fzero metroid etc and start work on the next next gen versions of them.they should jus do a main zelda entry n possibly another 2d mario on the wi u and then focus most of their software teams for the wii u successor.n for the love of all that is holy drop the wii monicker.the casuals that made that a success clearly haven't stuck around and the idea of a familiar brand name clearly hasn't worked.as far as im concerned the nd was pretty good and really looking forward to bayo2 and x, some good footage so hyped about them and really hyped for dk:tf too, good times indeed

Psn: heyzeus002
3ds: 1848 1730 6157
Nnid: kunheyzeus

heyzeus002

Oh, and can't wait for yoshis island either.the snes iteration is in my view the best 2d platformer of all time.hope they release smw2:yoshis island on vc.not the inferior gba version (which I have on 3ds anyway) but the much much superior snes version.

Psn: heyzeus002
3ds: 1848 1730 6157
Nnid: kunheyzeus

AJ_Lethal

Azooooz wrote:

I don't get why people are disappointed from this Direct. It's either they had their expectations way too high, or they didn't read the purpose of the direct. If you want to see new big Nintendo titles for Wii U, I suggest waiting until this year's E3.

Untitled

this picture is so accurate it hurts

GuSolarFlare

AJ_Lethal wrote:

Azooooz wrote:

Untitled

lol this is a little too accurate

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

spizzamarozzi

AJ_Lethal wrote:

Azooooz wrote:

Untitled

nah this is just bollocks
it's the usual Nintendo fans bashing other Nintendo fans
nobody is really expecting an announcement for a new F-Zero, Star Fox or Metroid - all people want is just Nintendo showing support and commitment, which doesn't really have to come in the shape of Metroid or Star Fox. The point of Nintendo Directs is to keep people updated and excited about upcoming releases - I'd like to see a written rule that says that WiiU owners only have to get faithful during E3.

This makes me think of that article kkslider posted about fans ruining the company - there's people who would justify everything Nintendo does. They would justify Iwata wishing them AIDS if it comes with a new Smash Bros character.

In the meantime, there's still one single retail game coming out in 6 months - on a console that is just one year old.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.