Forums

Topic: What did you think of the Nintendo Direct in relation to the Wii U?

Posts 181 to 200 of 279

Howard24U

Doobie wrote:

Its basically up to Bayonetta 2 and X to save the Wii U. Luckily I am beyond excited for both titles and have been watching the new footage for both games nonstop. Let those developers take as long as they need to make them perfect!

I don't see these two games being hardware movers. Although I think they have a pretty firm fanbase among the nintendolife forum users, I don't think they have that broad of an appeal. The original Bayonetta for the X360 and PS3 had approximate sales of only around 2mil globally (despite a combined hardware install base of about 160mil). Additionally Xenoblade for the Wii didn't even break a million (I'll admit I had never even heard of the game prior to joining these forums a month or so ago). I think these two games have massive appeal to those that are interested in those specific genre's, but the average gamer is probably very apathetic towards them.

I think MK8 and Smash will have some modest success moving hardware, but at this point I think Nintendo is just turning it's back on the Wii U, focusing on the 3DS and writing off its losses. Not a single new Wii U game revealed today, I mean seriously??

Howard24U

skywake

Howard24U wrote:

I think MK8 and Smash will have some modest success moving hardware, but at this point I think Nintendo is just turning it's back on the Wii U, focusing on the 3DS and writing off its losses. Not a single new Wii U game revealed today, I mean seriously??

There was a focus on 3DS sure but there wasn't really more new stuff for the 3DS than there was for Wii U. I mean lets count the "new" announcements:

3DS:

• Pokémon Battle Trozei (not retail)
  • Steel Diver .... I guess

Wii U:

• NES Remix 2
  • GBA VC

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bolt_Strike

In terms of what it did for the Wii U, it was subpar. They released some interesting details for some of the upcoming games, but aside from that, they have still yet to give a good reason to buy a Wii U, and they most likely will not until more exciting games are announced. Where are those games, Nintendo? Because if the best we're going to get is stuff like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros, the Wii U will be forever doomed to mediocrity and indifference from the majority of consumers.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Nintendelb

I love Nintendo, everything they do is right in my books, but...
... I haven't stopped regretting my purchase of a Wii U since last year, and this Nintendo Direct didn't change things.

It's not that it was bad, plenty of games got more screentime, but nothing really excites me.
Granted, none of the three big companies in gaming managed to excite me at all since... Probably Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dream Team and Tales of Xilia.

The most excitement I felt from watching the Direct was actually Mario and Luigi: SuperStar Saga on the VC. I have been wanting to play that game since I beat Dream Team, so that's great stuff!!

Edited on by Nintendelb

Nintendelb

CaviarMeths

Out of the gate character reveal for Smash was cool. Then it was a snoozefest for about 25-30 minutes. New footage of X and DKCTF snapped me out of my slumber.

Weak Direct overall.

Is it just me though or is there very little actual gameplay footage of Mario Kart 8 happening?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

CaviarMeths wrote:

Is it just me though or is there very little actual gameplay footage of Mario Kart 8 happening?

Pretty sure that what is being shown is "actual gameplay footage" it's just from a cinematic camera angle. Not sure what you'd gain from having it at the proper angle. It's no different to the Smash Bros trailers

CaviarMeths

skywake wrote:

Not sure what you'd gain from having it at the proper angle.

An idea of what it looks like to play the game.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

PAAGaming

Was just stuff we knew about before. Kind of disappointing. I was hoping that we wouldn't just get the same old recycled news, but alas that is what happened. And, not being trolling or being emo but I may need to consider getting a PS4 if things don't improve soon. I don't want just DS and Gameboy Advanced games added to the VC either.

I love the Wii U. Switch is getting better.

Where are the Dreamcast, Saturn, GC emulations?

All time favourite consoles are Master System, Atari 2600 & 3DO.

PAAGaming

sub12 wrote:

mr_shanetastic wrote:

Meh thinking of selling the Wii U, luckily I have Wind Waker version which seems to be worth a few extra bucks. Will likely be a mistake but life's too short, rather have the money at the moment

I think the best combo for this gen will be

~PS4 or gaming PC for the home experience
~3DS XL for gaming on the go (IOS continues to lag IMO when compared to what Nintendo is offering, that didn't look like the case in 2011, but it has been the big N rocking it since 2013)

Yes, I was considering pairing the Wii U with a PC or PS4. May go with PS4.

I love the Wii U. Switch is getting better.

Where are the Dreamcast, Saturn, GC emulations?

All time favourite consoles are Master System, Atari 2600 & 3DO.

scrubbyscum999

It was awesome and fulfilled my desires for once. Remember why I am a Nintendo fan again.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter:

afro_insomniac

In regards to the direct, I thought it was fantastic. Smash Bros looks dope and that MK trailer was pretty damn cool. More villians racers = hell yeah.

X looks really good as well, but we probably won't see it until next year.

May 30th can't come fast enough though, that release date was a huge bummer.

Gonna be a long 3 months, but at least the Wii U has a decent library already to fill the void and DK coming out later this month will help.

Can't say the same about the PS4 or XB1 (no games to play except generic FPS games and Infamous, no thanks).

Probably won't pick up a PS4 until 2015 since that's when the system might start actually having decent games to play.

Edited on by afro_insomniac

afro_insomniac

micronean

The most disappointing part was the release date for MK8. May 30th!?.. That's practically summer!
I can't believe they'd put MK off to the last possible date when there are no other significant games coming after Donkey Kong. THAT'S ANOTHER 3-MONTH DRYSPELL!!
I like Nintendo as much as anyone, but, from a consumer point of view, this looks terrible. Maybe that's why Reggie didn't want to appear on this stream...

micronean

whodatninja

My opinion? Pretty poorly. Sure it had some decent trailers and a Smash reveal, but they didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. Like, still no release dates for X, Smash or Bayo 2! It actually seemed like 70 percent of the Direct was focused on 3DS.
And GBA games? Seriously??? You think THIS is gonna help the Wii U sales?

Nintendo, i love you and i want to support you, but you've got to stop taking your stupid-pills. Before yesterday i would've scuffed at people saying what i'm about to say but... For christ sake: LISTEN to what the fans want, instead of what you THINK we need!

Oh yeah, and the EU stream was practically unwatchable. (That was the first and LAST time i tune in live)

Edited on by whodatninja

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

MAB

Still nothing on the 3DS for me to get excited for... 2014 will be all about the Wii U awesomeness again

MAB

LegatoSkyheart

Let me give you a clear picture of why this Direct shows the WiiU is in trouble.
here is a list of games WiiU has missed in 2014 (already!)

Don't Starve
Metal Gear Rising Revengence (again!)
Tomb Raider (again!)
Assassin's Creed Liberations HD
Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z
The Wolf Among Us (Episode 1 & 2)
Double Dragon Neon
Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII

Now that was what was missed for WiiU already which are Multiplat games
Now here's the list of what WiiU WILL miss out on in 2014.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2
South Park Stick of Truth
Dark Souls 2
Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

and that's not scratching the surface of what WiiU will miss out on. I didn't even Mention games like Witcher 3 or Thief!
and to top it off, Watchdogs is delayed on WiiU.
Keep saying that WiiU has more than PS4 and Xbox One, but you seem to forget about two other systems in the market. The PS3 and 360.
WiiU should be getting what those two consoles are getting, but it's not and that's a problem.

LegatoSkyheart

jump

The main thing I took from it is that Eshop games will released to try and plug the holes in the game calander.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

spizzamarozzi

New retail games announced for WiiU = zero.
let's admit it, it's not the number you would expect in such a desperate moment.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

KoopaTrooper

It will be interesting to see how bad GBA games look on my 50" HDTV. I'm guessing they expect people to play the game on the gamepad. IMO I think GBA VC games on the Wii U is not something anyone is clamoring for. The time, effort and resources could be put to better use getting N64, Gamecube and SNES titles out there.

Personally I was disappointed. Expected more Wii U reveals or more exciting news. If it took only 6 months to port Wind Waker I wish they would get a team together just to port games into HD. I know a lot of people who would kill for Majora's Mask HD. With such a large library of games at their disposal its a shame they don't leverage that more. Whether HD remakes or VC releases. I'm curious how well Wind Waker HD did for them. I'd like to see more HD upgrades.

It seems Nintendo is more focused on the 3DS then the Wii U, but that is to be expected since it is making them money. I guess after all the bad news about the Wii U I expected them to really come out strong with this Direct. Make people excited and get in the gamer news more with titles that will make people without a Wii U interested.

KoopaTrooper

skywake

spizzamarozzi wrote:

New retail games announced for WiiU = zero.
let's admit it, it's not the number you would expect in such a desperate moment.

Well yeah, I think everyone half expected something. I was thinking something along the lines of a Mario Sports title or a HD remake of some N64/GC era game. The fact that they didn't though isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. It definitely wasn't more heavy on new 3DS games, they were both pretty thin on unannounced retail titles in this Direct.

Though sitting back and watching it I was pretty happy. Little Mac looks like the sort of character I'd pick in Smash Bros so I was happy with that. The Koopalings in Kart were definitely the sort of thing that I was wanting to see. NES Remix 2? Awesome, getting that as soon as it's out. Same with Child of Light which I didn't actually know about before this Direct. Then there's Shovel Knight.

Ignoring the 3DS, which I certainly won't, between now and E3 I'm seeing DK, NES Remix 2, Shovel Knight, Child of Light and then Mario Kart 8. I don't care whether or not this "saves" the Wii U and infact outside of Kart and Smash I can't think of much that could even hope to. What I do know is that I won't be sitting around waiting for new stuffs to play on my Wii U.

Edited on by skywake

Donalp15

I hear a lot of people making this situation out to be worse than it is. It isn't like they are scrapping the wii u and only focusing on 3ds. Both had only eshop games revealed, and existing retail games shown.
A bad plan for Nintendo would be to reveal games in the works now, and leave them with nothing but embarrassment for E3. That is when Zelda will be announced, so I am pretty hyped for that.

FC 0516 7736 7877

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.