Wii U Forum

Topic: went to best buy last night...

Showing 1 to 20 of 74

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SofaKing

1. Posted:

Ran into a father with his kid looking at the new systems. The father noticed I was talking to my wife about the Sony system and asked us what we knew about the three. I started telling them the biggest difference to me that I didn't like which is that Sony and Xbox are not backwards compatible while nintendo is. They both seemed to agree and then I stated that both systems now required a monthly investment to play online and nintendo is still free to play online. I was selling the Wii U, even a few others joined in to hear what my wife and I was talking about and it caught the eye of an employee. Needless to say, he came over to join in and immediately cut me off and said "I'm a huge geek and have both the new system, so you can ask me anything you need." He started to get asked a few questions and I sat back to hear what he had to say. Not once did he bother to mention the Wii U. He went on and on about the PS4 and how awesome it was. That's about when I started to ask about the Wii U just to get that into the convo and he just blew it off by stating it wasn't much more powerful then PS3 and went back to talking about the other two.

I was telling the customers the difference of all three systems. The pros and cons. The power difference between the three and what was uniquely different between the two. I was giving actual info. This guy on the other hand just talked about PS4 and Xbone and failed to mention anything about the Wii U. This I feel is one of the reasons, yet a small one, that nintendo isn't selling as good as it could be. Sales people failing to give info all three and writing off the Wii U as a Pinto to a Lamborghini, like the Wii U isn't worth it...

Edited on by SofaKing

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintyMan

2. Posted:

Nintendo doesn't have control over people's biased opinions. It's unfortunate that some people can't be open-minded when it comes to games. Power is not everything.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SofaKing

3. Posted:

Whether or not you bias to one system or another, as a sales associate in best buy you needs to give info on all three and not just sale your favorite system. This not just unfair to Nintendo but its particularly unfair to the customer who should be able to make an educated decision on which system would best benefit them.

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SkywardLink98

4. Posted:

SofaKing wrote:

telling them the biggest difference to me that I didn't like which is that Sony and Xbox are not backwards compatible while nintendo is. They both seemed to agree and then I stated that both systems now required a monthly investment to play online and nintendo is still free to play online. I was selling the Wii U

You were selling the Wii U, and he was selling the other products. Did you think maybe he thought you were trying to sell them on the Wii U and he was trying to point out that all have there benefits? One person defending Nintendo, and one defending 2 consoles? Sounds like they should've had 2 people come over to defend the other ones lol. No offense, but maybe he was trying to balance out your biases towards Nintendo (as it would appear you have according to your post) and give the customers 2 opinions.

Edited on by SkywardLink98

There are no stupid questions, except for the ones that are.
Bergmite, Piloswine and Snover safari.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintendoLink

5. Posted:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

SofaKing wrote:

telling them the biggest difference to me that I didn't like which is that Sony and Xbox are not backwards compatible while nintendo is. They both seemed to agree and then I stated that both systems now required a monthly investment to play online and nintendo is still free to play online. I was selling the Wii U

You were selling the Wii U, and he was selling the other products. Did you think maybe he thought you were trying to sell them on the Wii U and he was trying to point out that all have there benefits? One person defending Nintendo, and one defending 2 consoles? Sounds like they should've had 2 people come over to defend the other ones lol. No offense, but maybe he was trying to balance out your biases towards Nintendo (as it would appear you have according to your post) and give the customers 2 opinions.

Or maybe the seller should just give info about them all, as said above....
But what can u expect, u rarely find smart people in those positions.

Wii U Mario Kart bundle - Mario kart 8, Monster hunter 3, Donkey Kong Tropical freeze
Wii U Nintendo ID - pockyNNrocky - ADD ME ! :)

3DS Friend Code: 0662-3551-3737 | Nintendo Network ID: POCKYnROCKY

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SofaKing

6. Posted:

Actually when he came over I was talking about the PS4 and what I liked about it. I wasn't being particularly bias to Nintendo. He didn't know I even mentioned the Wii U. So he didn't have a reason to defend any system. The father even asked about the Wii U and we was giving a short answer and no more info on the system. I'm not bias to just nintendo as I have always had PlayStation. The Wii U was better on my wallet but I feel its also a fantastic system.

Edited on by SofaKing

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

7. Posted:

SofaKing wrote:

Actually when he came over I was talking about the PS4 and what I liked about it. I wasn't being particularly bias to Nintendo. He didn't know I even mentioned the Wii U. So he didn't have a reason to defend any system. The father even asked about the Wii U and we was giving a short answer and no more info on the system. I'm not bias to just nintendo as I have always had PlayStation. The Wii U was better on my wallet but I feel its also a fantastic system.

Yeah but you did say your were selling the wii u. and maybe he was being biased and that is inexcusable but the sales guy is going to go off his opinion. none of the big box stores put in the time or resources to sit their staff down with any of these consoles. So the sales person tells you their opinion and the big box doesnt care which one you buy as long as you spend money. and anybody relying on a sales person for their final decision gets what they deserve.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

8. Posted:

I was in a similar situation during Christmas 2011, when 3 people came up to me completely confused based on what to get their children. It basically came down to Mario & Kirby. I took over, as soon as the guy working at toys r us realised that his gaming knowledge was little league compared to mine. ;) he walked away with a defeated look on his face and the rest was Wavey history. B-) That's when i picked up Skyward sword(Golden wii remote bundles were sold out),which i still have yet to play haha. I refuse to jump into it until i'm done with ALTTP this christmas and OOT3D.

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SofaKing

9. Posted:

Lol that's true, its like going to a used car lot and not getting the car checked by a mechanic and just trusting the sales guy. Without putting in your own research you get what you deserve. I however feel though a sales person at a box store like this should do the research that the customers fail to do so they can be properly educated about the product they want info on. IMO.

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

10. Posted:

Someone had a different opinion than yours...so what? You said you were trying to sell the Wii U. That guy was trying to sell the PS4 or maybe a Xbox One if he could which is his job. Best Buy doesn't care what they buy, they just want the employees to sell the product to make money.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

11. Posted:

Yeah, I mean, the sales guy obviously wants to sell the PS4 and Xbox One systems, too... that's his job. Just sayin'...

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

12. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Someone had a different opinion than yours...so what? You said you were trying to sell the Wii U. That guy was trying to sell the PS4 or maybe a Xbox One if he could which is his job. Best Buy doesn't care what they buy, they just want the employees to sell the product to make money.

yeah looking at this point of view the guy getting paid to sell products is in the right(especially pointing the more expensive products, let's face it WiiU is cheaper than the other two so for a seller giving priority to selling the more expensive is better)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

uptownsoul

13. Posted:

SofaKing wrote:

Lol that's true, its like going to a used car lot and not getting the car checked by a mechanic and just trusting the sales guy. Without putting in your own research you get what you deserve. I however feel though a sales person at a box store like this should do the research that the customers fail to do so they can be properly educated about the product they want info on. IMO.

But i got to be honest, i dont buy the "retailers aren't doing enough/purposefully not selling wii u's". and i say that because the sales reps arent doing any more or less than the sales reps did in 2006 when the wii took off. what ever the sales reps are saying now (not as powerful, etc.) they said back in 2006, and the wii was fling off shelves anyway. So unless your suggesting that the sales reps have more power over people's wallets thant they did back in 2006, its pretty much the same.

Now to contradict myself, If the sales reps are pushing (or being pushed by managers) to sell any console, it would be the XBOX 1. those managers and upper management only care about sales in dollar amounts. So if you walk in and blindly say, "I'll buy any console you suggest" its like saying "I'll buy whatever TV you name next". These sales reps probably dont work on commission but I'm sure they look better to their bosses selling higher ticketed items.

uptownsoul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

14. Posted:

Sometimes sales associates might as well not even be there. They hardly help you when you actually need it. Honestly, though, the only time I need help is when I can't find something. I always know what product I want.

Anyway... I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even understand how people are so uninformed all the time. I can hardly even believe the stories that people mix up Wii and Wii U. You seriously would literally have to be deaf or blind to not hear the "U" or read it on the box.

Just because you haven't seen a commercial on TV, doesn't mean you're brain dead. I never had problems with this stuff when I was 6. I knew the difference between the GameBoy and GameBoy Color for crying out loud.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MikeLove

15. Posted:

Maybe the store makes a bigger profit from selling a PS4/Xbox than it does a Wii-U? Not everything is a conspiracy.

That said, I was in a very 'ghetto' portion of Washington, DC this past summer at a Best Buy and saw an employee talking up the Wii-U to two customers, telling them its a great system and that once the big games come out it will be worth owning. However, I did not feel the need to step in and involve myself by talking about Sony or Microsoft.

MikeLove

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bigtime

16. Posted:

I was in Game the other day. An employee comes over, we start chatting and it went something like this...

"So which console are you buying in November?"
"Neither, I have a WiiU"
"Why? It's rubbish" (basically laughing)
"Have you ever played one?"
"Well, no..."

Those shops need to hire people like the OP. People with knowledge and experience with all 3 concoles and more. I got practically insulted by people working at Gamestation during conversations when my preference for Nintendo was brought up.

Bigtime

3DS Friend Code: 1203-9892-7345 | Nintendo Network ID: martinf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MikeLove

17. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I knew the difference between the GameBoy and GameBoy Color for crying out loud.

Untitled

I think one had more buttons than the other, correct?

MikeLove

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

18. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I knew the difference between the GameBoy and GameBoy Color for crying out loud.

Untitled

I think one had more buttons than the other, correct?

nope, the sound output was better :p

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

19. Posted:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I knew the difference between the GameBoy and GameBoy Color for crying out loud.

Untitled

I think one had more buttons than the other, correct?

nope, the sound output was better :p

No, you guys, it had a color screen. I mean, come on. That was its whole deal. :P

Edited on by Gioku

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

20. Posted:

Gioku wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I knew the difference between the GameBoy and GameBoy Color for crying out loud.

Untitled

I think one had more buttons than the other, correct?

nope, the sound output was better :p

No, you guys, it had a color screen. I mean, come on. That was its whole deal. :P

except the GameBoy had a GREEN screen! that's a color you know. lol

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF