Forums

Topic: Was this E3 the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U?

Posts 501 to 520 of 543

iKhan

UGXwolf wrote:

@CaviarMeths: I still hate that they did that, and I'd feel a little bit burned if they did that, this time, too. I absolutely despise the Twilight Princess port to the Wii because it's not a Wii game. It was developed and designed entirely for the Gamecube. Moving it to Wii was a last minute addition that wound up making the game worse for it, rather than better.

Anyways, I see Zelda U coming out next year. When next year? Beats me. I think a reasonable delay would push it to late Spring/early Summer, but I could see Nintendo holding it until Winter. I don't see a new home console dropping until 2017, so it'll be a Skyward situation, if anything.

In what way did the Wii version make it worse? The game is basically identical aside from the mirroring and the controls. The sword controls work just fine, working almost as naturally as Mario Galaxy's controls, and the aiming is dramatically improved.

The only truly bad thing about TP on the Wii was that the spin attack and shield bash were wonky.

And even if you hated TP Wii, it still released for Gamecube, so you still had that option. It releasing on the Wii didn't do any harm.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

...so it'll be a Skyward situation, if anything.

If you're right then RIP that console.

RIP every Nintendo platform ever then, because none of them owe their success to a Zelda launch title.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

RIP every Nintendo platform ever then, because none of them owe their success to a Zelda launch title.

Lol, the Wii.

And it doesn't have to be Zelda, but what other big game should they launch with in this scenario? A 3D Mario game, a new IP, another Mario Kart? Perhaps, but it still doesn't make sense to continually strand Nintendo's single biggest series, 3D Zelda, on the last generation while it's sinking into the sea of time.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

UGXwolf

@Haru17: 1) The Wii does NOT owe its success to Twilight Princess. 2) The motion controls were weak. Sure they WORK, but they added nothing to the game and took away the standard controls we were used to. If you're gonna do motion controls, go all out, like they did with Skyward Sword.

Besides that, it DOES make sense to try and keep the interests of the people that bought Wii U's, as that's the only market Nintendo can reliably count on. I'm aware that I'm in the minority on that one, however. Most people won't likely be burned by them going the Twilight route. I'd just personally hate it.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

skywake

I'd argue that the only Nintendo console that has leant heavily on Zelda early was the 3DS. Even then it was a port and it took 3D Land and Mario Kart before it started to get momentum. The Wii had Twilight Princess and it was a big deal but.... Wii Sports was the main game there.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

TuVictus

I think the fact that Nintendo can count on the Wii U owners is because we're the people that are going to buy all hardware from them regardless. So I'm sure they aren't too worried about keeping our interests with the Wii U. We all know whatever they release next, we're going to be the first ones to get it, even if they stopped releasing Wii U games tomorrow.

TuVictus

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Lol, the Wii.

And it doesn't have to be Zelda, but what other big game should they launch with in this scenario? A 3D Mario game, a new IP, another Mario Kart? Perhaps, but it still doesn't make sense to continually strand Nintendo's single biggest series, 3D Zelda, on the last generation while it's sinking into the sea of time.

Even if you're right about the Wii (you're not), that's 1/11 platforms. RIP 10 platforms.

You can't be serious with the bolded.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

UGXwolf wrote:

The motion controls were weak. Sure they WORK, but they added nothing to the game and took away the standard controls we were used to. If you're gonna do motion controls, go all out, like they did with Skyward Sword.

They made the aiming more intuitive and the combat more immersive and engaging.

SS's motion controls worked well, and in certain circumstances did the same thing, but the fact that they "went all out" had an overall negative impact on the game. In the process of completely revolving the game around motion controls, SS threw other aspects of the gameplay away, particularly action focused combat. So the net effect is a different experience rather than an enhanced one.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Ryno

WaveBoy wrote:

This thread is still going?

Untitled

Yes, the E3 was so bad that it must be talked about a month later.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

-Green-

@WaveBoy: It's not really as much about E3 anymore.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Azooooz

I don't think we should continue talking about this anymore. It's been about a month since last E3. How about we put this to a rest for good?

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Ryno

@WaveBoy: I bought Ryu DLC, that is probably going to be the last money I will be spending on Nintendo for a little while. I know you are getting that Happy Home Designer, you can't resist its whimsicalness.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Blast

Ryno wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

This thread is still going?

Untitled

Yes, the E3 was so bad that it must be talked about a month later.

Nintendo's Digital Event was a disaster. Of course this thread is still alive. It just shows how garbage Nintendo's Digital Event was.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Blast

WaveBoy wrote:

@Ryno:
But, but, but it had Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival and everybodies favorite Metroid Federation Force.
What's not to love!? Honestly though, if there IS anything worth praising, it's Nintendo's amazing Nintendo-themed looking E3 booth, Nintendo World Championship and Sakurai's Smash Bros Direct that unleashed Ryu as a playable character. it's just....well, yeah. The actual E3 Direct itself was piss poor. incredibly disappointing in comparison to last years which was pretty great! 2015's E3 made me HATE the Big N for a couple of days. Getting a PS4 mostly for 3rd party support is now going to be mandatory!

http://i0.wp.com/www.gaming-age.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/0...
http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1184573/artic...

I pretty much feel the same way. I'm still bitter at Nintendo.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Bolt_Strike

Honestly after how pathetic this E3 was and Nintendo's performance has been this entire gen, if the NX doesn't turn things around I'll probably give up on Nintendo. I'm not putting up with Nintendo's decline into mediocrity for another generation.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

rallydefault

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Honestly after how pathetic this E3 was and Nintendo's performance has been this entire gen, if the NX doesn't turn things around I'll probably give up on Nintendo. I'm not putting up with Nintendo's decline into mediocrity for another generation.

It's this thing where, I have such fond memories of Nintendo's games, that WHEN "the end" comes for them, I would want them to go out with more a "bang" than a whimper, you know? In a way, I kind of view Sega as having gone out with that "bang." The Dreamcast was AWESOME. It had spectacular games, a crazy-cool little VU unit (or whatever they called that thing), and it just kind of felt like Sega really gave every last ounce of what they had into that console. They really tried, you know? I mean, geez, we have a Dreamcast exclusive game coming back through the biggest Kickstarter ever or something like that - kinda shows you how engaging the games were.

I don't feel that kind of energy from the Wii U (not saying it's Nintendo's last console obviously) - I mean, the Dreamcast can be remember for Shenmue and Jet Set Radio and Sonic Adventure and PowerStone and Skies of Arcadia, and the Wii U can be remembered for...????? What, really? Splatoon, maybe, as time goes by and it gets more attention. MAYBE 3D World and Mario Kart 8 (I think it's the best one). It just doesn't feel like Nintendo is giving it their "all."

rallydefault

UGXwolf

@iKhan: I couldn't disagree more. I felt the GCN version had far better combat and I've NEVER found 3D Zelda aiming to be "unintuitive" or even the least bit difficult. At that point, it's a matter of preference, and for that point, I preferred the controls on the GCN to the Wii. With that said, SS was built AROUND motion control. That why I didn't mind and even liked it in that scenario.

@Blast: See, you keep calling it a disaster, and I keep going back to look and see if it suddenly became legitimately bad, and I keep finding that it hasn't become legitimately bad. Fact it: your expectations were too high going into this thing and you wound up burning yourself.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Sean_Aaron

I didn't have a problem with Twilight Princess motion controls; in fact I found them less intrusive than Skyward Sword; that was also my first Zelda game. And no, I don't think Nintendo can count on Wii U owners backing any future projects, but I do think they can count us continuing to support Wii U if we're already spending on it - that's one of the great things about having an account-based system for them: quality marketing data.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

martinskrtel37

Bolt_Strike wrote:

nobody will miss you

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Bolt_Strike

martinskrtel37 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

nobody will miss you

Nobody will miss you either.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.