Forums

Topic: Was this E3 the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U?

Posts 481 to 500 of 543

CaviarMeths

Metroid is enough of a system seller for people who have left the ecosystem. People who have never bought Nintendo products before aren't going to start just because Metroid Prime 4 was announced, but people who haven't bought a Nintendo product in 10 years just might.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Yeah, the fun thing about facts though is that they're still true regardless of personal experience. Even if @rallydefault is an old man yelling at a cloud, the stereotype of Nintendo's current core audience being early 20s and having entered the ecosystem in Gen 5/6 is something that is supported by Nintendo's own market research.

That would even be a cogent point if that was the point rally was making. But it wasn't, and, as I recall, I was disagreeing with him/her, not you. And I'm also not stereotyping rally as old, etc, etc, etc.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Metroid is not a system-seller; I don't know why people think Nintendo "needs" a Metroid game on a console. Metroid Prime was decent and I'd rate Super Metroid, though I've not spent serious time with it, but otherwise not much to see here, move on. I can't see why it would be a launch title for any future machine. The original is just horrible - how did it get a sequel in the first place?

Apart from Mario, Zelda and Smash, there are very few ''system sellers''. But the single-player shooter genre isn't very prevalent on Nintendo systems, and a Metroid game would add more variety than most other Nintendo franchises.

Octane

NinjaWaddleDee

@Sean_Aaron: Sales wise, they sold decent. Game wise, that's your opinion. I'd rather have a metroid game, then a crappy zelda game any day. But yeah, that's just what I think. Because zelda is nothing special to me, but metroid is amazing. Although I will admit metroid 1 sucks, it was revolutionary for its time, and allowed the player freedom in what they did, instead of just running left to right. Zelda 1 sucks too. As well as every nes nintendo game. Why? Because they are old.

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Haru17

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

As well as every nes nintendo game. Why? Because they are old.

Dunno If I quite agree with that, but I would concur that Zelda 1-2 are bad by todays standards. I haven't played much of the first two Metroids, but they seem similarly basic.

Anyway, 2D Metroid games are... limited in their appeal, but a Prime game? A beautiful launch game that looks like a FPS to a pedestrian, but is so much deeper underneath? That could make one heckuva launch game.

rallydefault

Hey, everyone here can stereotype me as "old" and "get off my lawn" and whatever else, doesn't matter to me. The point I was making (and that others have actually said without me ever stating it in black white) was METROID IS NOT A SYSTEM SELLER, it's just the loud internet-aged vocal minority that makes it appear so; therefore, a "proper" Metroid game (which nowadays doesn't ACTUALLY mean METROID, but moreso "Prime") appearing at E3 may have appeased the internet whining, but wouldn't have done much for Nintendo's bottom line when it comes to the Wii U. Simply put, the Wii U would still be in the same place regardless. End of story.

And that Haru guy can say whatever he wants and be as loud and insulting as he wants. He knows exactly what he's doing and how he wants people to react. Meh. Couldn't care less. All sound and fury, really - no substance. Typical internet forum persona.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault: Nothing would've changed the Wii U's outcome, even if Zelda U was shown at E3 and still releasing 2015. This is why I think Zelda U is skipping Wii U and hence only an NX title.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Sean_Aaron

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

Game wise, that's your opinion.

Yes, when someone states a point of view not presented as fact with evidence to back it up, it's an opinion. I'm glad you pointed that out.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Azooooz

@Grumblevolcano: And what happened to Miyamoto's statement about this game coming to Wii U?

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

IceClimbers

@Azooooz: Plans change. Currently, it's still slated for the Wii U. By this time next year? Not necessarily.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Arcadtic

This thread is still going on? o_O

If you think life is hard, Try doing a barrel roll as D.Mariner in Wave Race 64. :P

NinjaWaddleDee

@Haru17: Okay sorry, I just got a little ranty the Mario nes games have held up pretty well, but there is no denying that zelda and metroid on nes might feel a little off to some people. I really need to stop being a whiny nintendo fan...

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

CaviarMeths

No, I actually believe that Metroid was a bad game. It hasn't aged poorly. It was just never good to begin with. The series didn't get good until Super Metroid, at which point it got great.

Zelda I & II aren't my thing, but I think that Zelda I at least was a great game in its time. Zelda II was good as well, just not as good.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

CanisWolfred

IceClimbers wrote:

@Azooooz: Plans change. Currently, it's still slated for the Wii U. By this time next year? Not necessarily.

By this time next year, the new Zelda should be going into the later phases of development. Why would they start over on new hardware after 5 years of development?

^I'm sure that's been asked a bunch of tines already, but it needs reiterating. It'd be a waste of time at this point to start on new hardware, especially with Nintendo's "unique hardware" tendencies, which could mean drastic changes to the game itself...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

IceClimbers wrote:

By this time next year, the new Zelda should be going into the later phases of development. Why would they start over on new hardware after 5 years of development?

Because someone on the internet said so obviously.

No, I actually definitely believe the Twilight Princess situation is likely to happen again. Which at this point means I don't have to get a new console ASAP, thank God.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

Yeah, the "Twilight Princess" thing could happen, and it'd probably be more prfitable for Nintendo, but personally I wouldn't be too happy about it, if only because only version will actually be worth playing, as is the case with almost all crtoss-gen ports - either the newer hardware makes the older version obsolete, or the older game that it was originally designed for makes the newer version seem redundant. And in the case of Twilight Princess, you had the newer version make a half-@$$ed attempt at utilizing some new gimmicks that only served to cheapen the experience rather than enhance it...I'd rather those resources were used to release the Wii U version sooner, or even to expand upon and polish the version they've been working on for going on 5 years now, rather than release an NX version that might not be worth my time as a gamer...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

It will be a Twilight Princess situation (delayed and cross gen) or a Skyward Sword situation (delayed but still exclusive). Those are the two possible outcomes. An unprecedented situation, where the platform for which the game has been in active development for nearly 5 years is scrapped entirely, is not happening.

UGXwolf

@CaviarMeths: I still hate that they did that, and I'd feel a little bit burned if they did that, this time, too. I absolutely despise the Twilight Princess port to the Wii because it's not a Wii game. It was developed and designed entirely for the Gamecube. Moving it to Wii was a last minute addition that wound up making the game worse for it, rather than better.

Anyways, I see Zelda U coming out next year. When next year? Beats me. I think a reasonable delay would push it to late Spring/early Summer, but I could see Nintendo holding it until Winter. I don't see a new home console dropping until 2017, so it'll be a Skyward situation, if anything.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

...so it'll be a Skyward situation, if anything.

If you're right then RIP that console.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.