Forums

Topic: Was this E3 the final nail in the coffin for the Wii U?

Posts 241 to 260 of 543

conman2012

iKhan wrote:

martinskrtel37 wrote:

so according to you the NX has to have backwards compatibility with the Wii U - the system you already own - for you to consider buying it? lol

Everyone completely overlooks this. The main point of backwards compatibility is not convenience for people who own legacy hardware. The point of BC is to make your new system attractive to people who didn't own your old system, or to make your new system more affordable to people who do own your old system.

'

Agreed. Give new buyers immediate and easy access to the wii U library

Edited on by conman2012

conman2012

Haru17

conman2012 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

martinskrtel37 wrote:

so according to you the NX has to have backwards compatibility with the Wii U - the system you already own - for you to consider buying it? lol

Everyone completely overlooks this. The main point of backwards compatibility is not convenience for people who own legacy hardware. The point of BC is to make your new system attractive to people who didn't own your old system, or to make your new system more affordable to people who do own your old system.

'

Agreed. Give new buyers immediate and easy access to the wii U library

Yep, they wouldn't have to make a party game for years! But for serious, if NX launches next year how long would it be before a new Mario Kart and Smash could come out? Mario Kart probably wouldn't take too long, but Smash... yikes! That's why I would expect it to be backwards compatible, because they would want Smash to be available on NX.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Spagem

conman2012 wrote:

martinskrtel37 wrote:

Yes, you got it right. It would be part of the consideration.

Let me put it to you, you think their next console can work on its on, with no 3rd parties and no bc... You want to pay for remasters of games you already own - good on you.

The Wii U has many good games that few are buying. So you think its a bad idea that the replacement wont be able to run those games? Thus limiting the catalogue available to the many whom never had a Wii U?

This. I also highly doubt Nintendo is going to let Smash Bros. 4 die after it being out only 2 years, assuming the NX launches in late 2016.

Spagem

3DS Friend Code: 2406-5638-4729 | My Nintendo: Spagem | Nintendo Network ID: smp1998

Aozz101x

let's be honest here, i think it would be stupid of them release right awre (meaning if NX did better then Wii U that just going kill Wii U even more quickly, with less 1st Party ), Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Splatoon are doing very well, so why should it died in a year? did the Wii die when Wii U came out, (yes there no 1st party but its sorta getting 3rd parties games like Skylanders still) did the Xbox 360 die when Xbox One cameout no it sorta getting Xbox One games and 3rd parties you can say samething with PS3 and PS4. heck even PC!

and where still not sure when SMT x FE or Zelda is coming out next year, they could still have some games coming out for Wii U that we don't know about, just Because the Digital was bad didnt mean end of Wii U, (we might as well say the same to EA there was just as bad too,)

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

arnoldlayne83

In my opinion:

1) by judging the line-up of this e3, merging it with the initial statement from Reggie (about next year will talk about nx) and the one about "the new Metroid Prime in 2017 will be a NX game", it is CLEAR AS PURE WATER that Nintendo has jumped ship and put (maybe but on this I am not sure) all the dev teams at work on the nex console already

2) If instead this is not true (as some fans in denial keep saying by talking of "new titles not revealed") then the marketing in Nintendo is run by a pack of lobotomized chimps (still normal chimps would suffice)...... you got Zelda U, you got a new mario 3d or whatsoever you got, and you do not show them at the most important VideoGame conference in the solar system? While other companies are showing tons of games? It is too absurd to believe it...

3) Whatever the truth is, they are gonna launch a new console soon.... in the middle of the current gen lifespan. This is very very risky, since the new console should be not only on par, but even better in performances compared to ps4 and xbox1 if it wanna survive (-> will be expensive to produce and to buy). Plus at the moment, Nintendo has to fight against a lack of trust from many of its most trustful fans.... so, the lobotomized chimps will have to do a bloody hell of a job to convince people to buy the new console....

4) If Nintendo is not screwed, it is still walking on a very thin line 100 m above the ground....

5) Even if the "lineup is more than 10 games! hooray" I still would like to have the power of choosing what to buy and play.... not just buy everything in order to avoid to turn my WiiU into a dust collector.....

6) To the people in denial, pay attention... your attitude allowed companies like N to throw at us all the possible lies/shovelware/milking mechanism and so on... Open your eyes, and use your wallet wisely....

Sorry for the lenghty rant/list of thoughts.... I will be very happy to discuss them with whoever feel interested in.

Edited on by arnoldlayne83

psn: markthesovver83 ; Nnid: arnoldlayne83

Nintendo Network ID: arnoldlayne83

arnoldlayne83

Pigeon wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

In my opinion]

3) Whatever the truth is, they are gonna launch a new console soon.... in the middle of the current gen lifespan. This is very very risky, since the new console should be not only on par, but even better in performances compared to ps4 and xbox1 if it wanna survive (-> will be expensive to produce and to buy). Plus at the moment, Nintendo has to fight against a lack of trust from many of its most trustful fans.... so, the lobotomized chimps will have to do a bloody hell of a job to convince people to buy the new console....

Sorry for the lenghty rant/list of thoughts.... I will be very happy to discuss them with whoever feel interested in.

I think you make a number of good points in your post. However, I pick this one out as, like a few others I've read, I personally believe this is why the NX will be both a home console AND a handheld, all-in-one. As I've stated a few times in the past, Nintendo are too small a company to adequetely develop games for both a home console and a handheld. A singular console for which they can pull all their resources is ultimately the only option they have, and a smart one at that.

How this relates to your point above is that, if the machine serves as both a home console and a handheld, they they would be forgiven for making the console less tech-savvy than the competition.

As an owner of both a PS Vita and a PS TV, I can safely say that Vita games look AMAZING on full screen. Very crisp, clear, and detailed.

Supposing Nintendo released a handheld - homeconsole hybrid that was even more powerful than the Vita, that could be hooked up to the TV AND played on the train, then they have a winner. Well, they'd certainly have my money, supposing it had the games to support it.

You made a very good point here. I believe too that this will be one (if not the main) selling point of the new console, but....

"How this relates to your point above is that, if the machine serves as both a home console and a handheld, they they would be forgiven for making the console less tech-savvy than the competition."...

forgiven by the user, probably (also cos the average Nintendo fan seems to forgive almost everything to the Kyoto firm)...what about 3rd party dev? Will they jump on the ship at the beginning after the abysimal sales of WiiU? Will they wait? Will be very easy to port ps4/Xbox1 game to a console that will be maybe again underpowered?

That is my fear. One of the biggest one... they are gonna again sacrifice on the altar of the "gimnicks/being original/being different" the possibility to have third party devs on board, with another complicate/underpowered hardware....

If it will be like that again, for me is a no go. I can justify other 300/400 buck for a console that has 2/3 intersting games every year...

psn: markthesovver83 ; Nnid: arnoldlayne83

Nintendo Network ID: arnoldlayne83

skywake

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

by judging the line-up of this e3, merging it with the initial statement from Reggie (about next year will talk about nx) and the one about "the new Metroid Prime in 2017 will be a NX game", it is CLEAR AS PURE WATER that Nintendo has jumped ship and put (maybe but on this I am not sure) all the dev teams at work on the nex console already

They didn't say that. What they said was a bit more complicated than that. They said that if they were to start on a HD Metroid now it would take three years to develop. And if they were to do that (i.e. release in 2018) they would probably release it on the NX instead. He then said that he was only in charge of Metroid Prime and not Metroid itself so he wouldn't be able to say anything about what's happening with Metroid anyway.

Now I don't think the NX is a home console and I don't think that they are moving all development to the NX. But even so, at this point it would be ridiculous to think that they'd be starting development for a game as big as Metroid for the Wii U now. For multiple reasons:

• It's unlikely that they won't replace the Wii U by the end of 2018 even if the NX is a portable
  • A "next-gen" portable would be about as powerful as a 360 so development will take a while
  • They've already said that they want to reduce their efforts. So NX game -> portable and non-portable releases

The lack of known games for 2016 is grim. But a poor E3 doesn't automatically mean that the system is dead.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

iKhan

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

Uuuum. Console generations tend to be 5-6 years long. The 8th gen was abnormally long, but the Wii still only had a 6 year lifecycle.

Wii U games seem to be looking at their best, and the competition's games are really starting to run ahead. I think the Wii U will see a natural death by 2017, right within a typical lifecycle.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Aozz101x

Pigeon wrote:

@Aozz regarding the consoles you mentioned, they remained 'alive' because they still had 3rd party support. The Wii U does not.

i wouldnt say that, Wii U may not have Big hits like Call Of Duty or Assassin's Creed but WIi U owners (like me who also owns a non working Xbox 360) are lucky to have Guitar Hero: Live, Disney Infinity, Just Dance(even if im not fan of that series.), Lego Games, Skylanders and even Little Orbit games (which tends get negative receptions) and great indies games (like Blocky Bot) and then there 1st Party games that Wiii U owners can enjoy

now again, sure Wii U doesnt have Call Of Duty or Assassin Creed but you really can't dined that Wii U "does not" have 3rd parties even if indies don't count

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

iKhan

I will say this. With the lack of a big holiday kicker this year, and a pretty barren first half 2016, I have a bad feeling that Wii U sales are going to start to tumble. Which is sad. If they had pooled more resources into a big 2015 title of some sorts, The Wii U might have been able to hit 5M this fiscal year

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

jump

iKhan wrote:

I will say this. With the lack of a big holiday kicker this year, and a pretty barren first half 2016, I have a bad feeling that Wii U sales are going to start to tumble. Which is sad. If they had pooled more resources into a big 2015 title of some sorts, The Wii U might have been able to hit 5M this fiscal year

I do agree about 2016 (I'm hoping Pokken will get announce after the arcade release) but I would consider Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and arguebly Star Fox (it has always sold 1m+ on home consoles) as big titles for 2015 with two of them out for xmas time, sure it's missing Zelda but then it is Zelda after all.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

LzWinky

How many final nails does it take to kill something?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

rallydefault

LztheQuack wrote:

15. It takes 15.

rallydefault

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

by judging the line-up of this e3, merging it with the initial statement from Reggie (about next year will talk about nx) and the one about "the new Metroid Prime in 2017 will be a NX game", it is CLEAR AS PURE WATER that Nintendo has jumped ship and put (maybe but on this I am not sure) all the dev teams at work on the nex console already

They didn't say that. What they said was a bit more complicated than that. They said that if they were to start on a HD Metroid now it would take three years to develop. And if they were to do that (i.e. release in 2018) they would probably release it on the NX instead. He then said that he was only in charge of Metroid Prime and not Metroid itself so he wouldn't be able to say anything about what's happening with Metroid anyway.

Now I don't think the NX is a home console and I don't think that they are moving all development to the NX. But even so, at this point it would be ridiculous to think that they'd be starting development for a game as big as Metroid for the Wii U now. For multiple reasons:

• It's unlikely that they won't replace the Wii U by the end of 2018 even if the NX is a portable
  • A "next-gen" portable would be about as powerful as a 360 so development will take a while
  • They've already said that they want to reduce their efforts. So NX game -> portable and non-portable releases

The lack of known games for 2016 is grim. But a poor E3 doesn't automatically mean that the system is dead.

Maybe not by itself, but combine that with statements explicitly saying "Come back next year and we'll show you how Nintendo plans to change in the long term", then it's pretty clear that they're looking past the Wii U.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

dumedum

LztheQuack wrote:

Nails in the coffin don't kill the person, they close the lid tight so he doesn't escape like a vampire I guess.
But Jewish people don't even use coffins. Other religions cremate the person. So not sure Nintendo would find use for nails out of the options. The Wii U might go out in a blaze of fire 3 years from now.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Joeynator3000

...I want a vampiric Wii U now. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

TuVictus

For the Wii U to go out in a blaze of fire it would need to actually get on fire. And with all the strongest games already being out (Mario, Smash, Kart), if anything it'll go out with a whimper. Like the Wii before it. Really living up to its namesake in that regard

TuVictus

jump

Operative wrote:

For the Wii U to go out in a blaze of fire it would need to actually get on fire. And with all the strongest games already being out (Mario, Smash, Kart), if anything it'll go out with a whimper. Like the Wii before it. Really living up to its namesake in that regard

I'd consider a new Zelda much more than a whimper and I suppose that applies to both the Wii and Wii U.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

TuVictus

arronishere wrote:

Operative wrote:

I'd consider a new Zelda much more than a whimper and I suppose that applies to both the Wii and Wii U.

We still had a year of nothing after Zelda released on the Wii. And if late 2017/early 2018 predictions for NX are true, then we'd get Zelda in 2016 with another year of nothing. I'd say "whimper" qualifies.

TuVictus

-Green-

Operative wrote:

arronishere wrote:

Operative wrote:

We still had a year of nothing after Zelda released on the Wii. And if late 2017/early 2018 predictions for NX are true, then we'd get Zelda in 2016 with another year of nothing. I'd say "whimper" qualifies.

Yes, but those are all just predictions and really are nothing more than educated guesses at best. Not to mention, that just because Zelda was released that way on Wii doesn't mean they'll do the same on the Wii U. Especially considering how different the circumstances for both systems are.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.