Forums

Topic: W101 selling poorly in Japan

Posts 1 to 20 of 55

LetsGoRetro

Hey, guys.

As anticipated with news that only 30,000 copies were being printed, W101 isn't exactly lighting up the weekly sales charts in Japan, placing only 16th. Being a colorful, quirky cartoonish game, it's much more Japan's style than the West, so that doesn't bode well for it's future numbers, either.

Hence my point, these games are being released in the wrong order.

Before I explain that, what exclusives are coming next? A 10 year old Zelda game, yet another mini game collection in Wii Party U, and finally, Mario's old rival in an attempt to save his system with a game resembling his most recent outing. While SLW looks awesome, are we expecting a Sonic game to be a huge system mover? After that, I believe, is Wii Fit U. A game that screams to me "My creators don't realize my once in a lifetime craze is over". I mean, really, are the casuals that bought that REALLY sitting around waiting for another?

So, at that point, we're 6 games into the 8 game "revival period", and we're in the same position. The good news? These last 2 games, DKC and 3D World actually have good potential to move some systems. The problem is, by that time, all the aforementioned games are old news...

The first few weeks of a game being out are so important to it's sales. The system-selling games needed to come FIRST so that these previous 6 games had a CHANCE to sell. I'm guessing they would've sold 3 times more if they came after the system sellers. Now, will al those same people go and search out 3-5 month old games To buy. Some will, of course. Most probably won't. So we end up just having more and more software on this system that doesn't appear to sell.

Maybe i'm wrong. I'm just worried. I love Nintendo's games and really hope this experience is the kick in the behind that forces them to return to their old selves and start making the incredible games they are known for again, consistently.

Agree / Disagree with any of my points?

LetsGoRetro

sugarpixel

I really hope the likes of SM3DW and MK8 move some systems... but I really don't know...

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

LzWinky

How the heck do you know how much it sold weekly? It hasn't even been a week yet

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Prof_Clayton

Hmm, sounds like 3DS, relying on mario kart and a mario platformer to boost sales.
Looks at 3DS sales
Well, I see no issue here.

Welcome to my signature.
8 Bit Forward Come check out our Forums, Game Challenge League, Reviews, Interviews and more! http://8bitforward.forumotion.com
The Great Wall of Backlog

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9581-0860 | Nintendo Network ID: Clayton17 | Twitter:

LordJumpMad

The game is pretty, that should fool Nintendo fans, since they have forgotten what good gameplay really is.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Phatosaurus

Any specific sales numbers on it yet?

If it has sold 20-25,000/30,000 then I'd say that's pretty good considering the limited stock probably makes it harder to get a hold of.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

DualWielding

to be fair it was game obviously oriented toward the western market..... I don't think it's gonna set the western market on fire either, but it'll probably sell way better than in Japana

PSN: Fertheseeker

19Robb92

Expected.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Freakazoid

Well u cant take it black and white u shouldnt forget the digital offer off 30 % off with pikmin and normal digital sales.

Edited on by Freakazoid

Sign this petition to bring rts to the wii u

http://www.change.org/petitions/software-developers-bring-the-real-time-strategy-genre-to-the-wii-u

PokeTune

Anyone should have seen this coming. Not only is it a niche title but its on the Wii U to boot. That only spells a recipe for poor sales.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CrossFactorComms/about
Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX
Xbox Gamertag: DarkGameMasterX

Awaiting:

Kingdom Hearts 3
Mirror's Edge 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rare Replay
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX

LetsGoRetro

Scrooge, I don't think its a full week's numbers, but im pretty sure its very common to judge the game on a 3 or 4 day week it's first week.

LordJump- Makes absolutely no sense. You just literally said the opposite of what is true. Nintendo can put out lower powered machines because it's games focus more on quality gameplay, whereas the other guys produce huge, gorgeous spectacles with horrid gameplay. I'm curious why you would even say that, everybody knows this...

Poet- Western audiences are known to more prefer gritty, darker tones, which is wh. Realistic shooters dominate here. This IS a game geared towards Japan.

LetsGoRetro

Eel

It's a new ip, it just released.

People need time to know if new ips are worth it.

Soon Buyer1 will tell Buyer2 how awesome the game is and he'll buy it and tell others and so on.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

KeeperBvK

ferthepoet wrote:

to be fair it was game obviously oriented toward the western market..... I don't think it's gonna set the western market on fire either, but it'll probably sell way better than in Japana

Seriously? I see it the exact opposite way.

KeeperBvK

kkslider5552000

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Before I explain that, what exclusives are coming next? A 10 year old Zelda game, yet another mini game collection in Wii Party U, and finally, Mario's old rival in an attempt to save his system with a game resembling his most recent outing. While SLW looks awesome, are we expecting a Sonic game to be a huge system mover? After that, I believe, is Wii Fit U. A game that screams to me "My creators don't realize my once in a lifetime craze is over". I mean, really, are the casuals that bought that REALLY sitting around waiting for another?

spoilers: your ideas to sell the console wouldn't work better and be possible

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

V8_Ninja

To @GoRetro; It would be nice if the situation you were responding to was not completely hypothetical or uncertain. Got any links to prove what you claimed at the beginning of your post is true?

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Emblem

Well it hasn't been a full week but if sources are to be believed then its not going to do so well in Japan. However this is not uncommon with Platinum games titles in general, they do well in the West or East but rarely both. If i'm not mistaken Bayonetta, MadWorld & Vanquish all done better in the West than Japan.

Personally i'm disappointed, gamers complain about new IPs or creative games then buy platformer after platformer or shooter after shooter. To each his/her own i guess.

I'm having a blast with this game, just done a full run of mission mode multiplayer last night, retrying each level until we got gold as a minimum for each level, which is extremely difficult the more people you have since you all share one life bar.

Emblem

kkslider5552000

Emblem wrote:

Personally i'm disappointed, gamers complain about new IPs or creative games then buy platformer after platformer or shooter after shooter. To each his/her own i guess.

You want me to buy the games I complain that I want on the internet? HOW DARE YOU SIR?! I'm too busy playing NSMB2 and COD:MW3 while watching reruns of Full House and having an unfulfilling and pathetic life!

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DylanMcGrann

Personally, I was interested until I played the demo. The gameplay and general presentation just seems extremely unpolished and uninteresting. Over time, the music became pretty annoying as well.

DylanMcGrann

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3388-5483 | Nintendo Network ID: Tainy_Tonner | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.