Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - OT

Posts 1,221 to 1,240 of 1,761

Dreamliner

I'm wondering if perhaps I don't like Zelda games...

I bought a Wii maybe ?5? years ago with as a Mario Kart Bundle and promptly beat all the circuits and played a lot of Mario Galaxy (but didn't finish). I also bought Twilight Princess and got stuck somewhere on a bird and quit playing. I bought Skyward Sword on release date and have yet to open it. Same with Windwaker HD, Unopened.

I bought my Wii U and Played Mario Kart 8 a bit and transferred over from my Wii and played more Mario Galaxy and some New Super Mario Bros Wii U.

I just realized TP HD is coming out next week so I decided to play my Wii version a bit to see if I liked it or not. I haven't touched Zelda for probably a year and a half. Just found out my transfer from my Wii must have lost my TP save so I had to start over. I got annoyed at figuring out how to get enough rupees to get the slingshot and quit.

If I'm going to get TP HD, its right now. With the Amazon discount on new titles its go time. I think though, I might no longer have the patience for Zelda or do deal with the puzzles and I really don't want to play the whole game looking at walkthroughs the whole time... My backlog is enormous across many platforms but just on Nintendo I need to finish Galaxy 1. Then play/finish Galaxy 2, NSMB Wii, NSMB Wii U, MK8, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Yoshi Whooly World and DK Tropical Freeze. Heck I even have Mario Maker and wonder if I should sell it before it loses its charm with everyone else. I just popped in Mario Galaxy and realized I've collected 87 stars and haven't played since 12/27...2014.

I know that Mario is easily my favorite character, but I wanted to expand to have my Nintendo be more than just a Mario machine but I don't know. Obviously to get about halfway through TP I had to like it, but I think I got stuck on a bird because I was trying to make the story go faster and I got lost.

I know they're pretty different, but I think I'd way rather play-through my unfinished Uncharted PS4 Trilogy. Maybe I should just sell off my unopened Zelda's and call it quits on the adventures of Link?

If its any consolation, I also don't like sword and sandal movies...

Thoughts?

Dreamliner

Shinion

@Dreamliner: well you've only played partway through one game in the series, and that one is not the one the vast majority of people would say is the best in the series. If you don't think you'll get into them, then you could call it quits here, but it's very hard to say you've given the series a good shake of the stick by only playing part of Twilight Princess. It's my 3rd favourite series of games. For what that's worth. Probably nothing.

As far as Uncharted goes, I'd recommend that series too. 2 and 3 are great, though not Zelda great, with the first being a rather rough and mediocre start. Though your comment makes it seem like you've already at least started Drake's Fortune so yeah keep at it as the series only gets better.

The handful of other Wii and Wii U games you've got are good and ones I would recommend, though I'm unsure why you'd want to sell Super Mario Maker as a big Mario fan at this stage. Tens of thousands of courses are uploaded every day still, can't say I think that's a good idea.

Shinion

Dreamliner

@TheLastLugia: I played Uncharted 2 on my PS3 and never got around to playing Uncharted 3 by the time the PS4 Trilogy HD remaster came out so I got that and sold my PS3 versions. Still haven't played it yet.

The reason I'm thinking of selling MM is because I obviously have a TON of real Mario levels to play and even with the update I've found it difficult to find great nintendo-esk levels to play. I really hate the auto or 'unbeatable' levels.

I guess I'm just thinking if TP is testing my patience...maybe thats a sign?

With how big my backlog really is, I'm just wondering if I really have time, or should spend the time. To play through games I don't immediately absolutely love. Not saying they are fantastic games, but some levels were really great, but sometimes its nice to play a COD campaign, finish and be done with it in a couple days. Over and done and doesn't drone on.

Its pretty obvious to see that Zelda has a richness to it and significant world building, but if I'm not interested in fishing, catching cats or looking for the hidden flute, am I barking up the wrong tree? I just seems crazy to me that I don't like a series that obviously has a huge fan base and has pretty high quality...

Edited on by Dreamliner

Dreamliner

Octane

@Dreamliner: Twilight Princess has a long and slow start, so it's not the best game for a newcomer. Try Wind Waker HD, it gets you going faster than TP. But with any game, you need to play for a couple of hours to get into the game. Give it a shot if you don't mind, Wind Waker doesn't have any of the ''unnecessary'', but mandatory tutorials Twilight Princess has. If you like Wind Waker, give Twilight Princess another shot, but remember that it takes a while to get going. It's the first 3 or 4 hours of TP that are pretty lenghty and arguably ''boring''.

Octane

Dreamliner

@Octane: My fear is opening it, not liking it and losing all that value.

Where I got stuck on TP was on a bird somewhere closely after those gravity boot things in the mines I think.

Dreamliner

rishisquid

@Dreamliner: Dude, if you are into buying games and never opening them, it seems like paying an extra $15 ain't a problem for you.

At least try either Wind Waker or Skyward sword, you own them for goodness' sake.

rishisquid

Haru17

rishisquid wrote:

At least try either Wind Waker; you own it for goodness' sake.

I agree, though always remember Twilight Princess will be better in every substantive way.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

Meowpheel wrote:

Depending on who you ask, that is.

You... you didn't! Oh my god, you didn't lmao!

Oh, and yes (ahem) subjectivity and all that (for loooooseeeerrrsss), right-on!

Edited on by Haru17

Eel

Really, I have seen people talk about TP like it's the lowest low point in the series. And people talking about WW like it's the true and only best game in the series.

And the other way around, too.

Both games are divisive like that.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Octane

@Dreamliner: Not much value is lost. Look up some gameplay if you're not sure, if you like the premise of the game, go ahead and play it.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

The true lowest point of the Zelda series is Zelda 2 (NES), Zelda games should not be sidescrolling platformers.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Spoony_Tech

Grumblevolcano wrote:

The true lowest point of the Zelda series is Zelda 2 (NES), Zelda games should not be sidescrolling platformers.

For me it's the ds games. I rather like Zelda 2 as I like Mario 2 for doing something different. They both are the most unique in the series. The ds games while still good by game standards didn't stand up well in what I think is the most important part of the series and that's dungeons.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

I don't regard Zelda 2 too harshly because the series was still trying to figure out what it wanted to be when it grew up. It was an experiment (a failed one, imo, and easily my least favorite game in the series). At least it's not as bad as Castlevania 2.

To be honest, the original Legend of Zelda is barely above it for me. The aimless wandering with no indication of where to go, samey environments that almost look like they were copied and pasted, and the hyperaggressive enemies made that game no fun to play. To be fair, I didn't care for the first two Metroid games at all either.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah: There's another game I really liked Castlevania 2. Totally forgot about that one. Thanks for the hate lol!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Spoony_Tech: All I'll say is that it was the Windows Vista of the Castlevania series.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

GerudoKing

Ralizah wrote:

I don't regard Zelda 2 too harshly because the series was still trying to figure out what it wanted to be when it grew up. It was an experiment (a failed one, imo, and easily my least favorite game in the series). At least it's not as bad as Castlevania 2.

To be honest, the original Legend of Zelda is barely above it for me. The aimless wandering with no indication of where to go, samey environments that almost look like they were copied and pasted, and the hyperaggressive enemies made that game no fun to play. To be fair, I didn't care for the first two Metroid games at all either.

I wonder, did you grow up with the original NES and these games or did you try them out after growing up on newer consoles? The reason I ask is because I played the original Zelda and Metroid titles when they originally came out. But I can see why people wouldn't care for them now. They definitely don't hold your hand in any way and you were going to get lost in them, no doubt about it. That's just how games were in that era. So I imagine people get frustrated with them. I mean, you pretty much cannot play The Legend of Zelda without a map. Period.

But, I still have a fondness for these games as they were what I grew up with. It's funny, I was better at them then as a child than I would be if I were to revisit them now. But I have no reason to go back to them now. I mean, why play the original Metroid when I can play Zero Mission?

Anyway, back on topic... Just a few short days now!

GerudoKing

Shinion

@DarthNocturnal: well there's at least one individual who frequents this website who would have a field day if Nintendo released a 2D side-scrolling Zelda 2 remake. We wouldn't hear the end of it, going on how much Super Mario 3D World, remakes and 2D Nintendo games in general get ridiculed by him.

Shinion

veeflames

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. I didn't even understand what I was playing when I played Zelda 2 a while back. I don't even know whether I progressed or not. Zelda 2 is the worst Zelda game, IMO.

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I beg to differ. A new side-scrolling Zelda (or remake of 2) would be a great way to mix it up.

Why can't this be said for other franchises such as Mario, Kirby and cough cough Metroid cough

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Haru17

Meowpheel wrote:

Really, I have seen people talk about TP like it's the lowest low point in the series. And people talking about WW like it's the true and only best game in the series.

And the other way around, too.

Both games are divisive like that.

I meant your username, lol!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.