Forums

Topic: Total Number of Games for Wii U = Dissapointing

Posts 141 to 160 of 263

Howard24U

@tedbunker
First off, I'm sorry my comments offended you, that wasn't intended. Here is an analogy to help get my point across. Let's say we both pay good money to go to a Japanese buffet - under the impression that there will be a good selection of cuisines; sushi, sashimi, teriyaki, tempura... Now, you enjoy all kinds of Japanese cuisine and many kinds of sushi. I, despite having only tried a couple types of sushi know that I don't like it. I do however enjoy the other foods I expect to find there.

As it turns out, all this buffet is serving is different types of sushi... So as you're walking out, you're rubbing your stomach commenting on how full you are and how you loved the selection, yet I found the selection to be disappointing. Now I'm not saying the food they had wasn't of good quality, I just expected more selection, so that I would find things that met my personal tastes.

That's all I'm saying about the Wii U's game library.

And as I've stated before in other posts, I'm really referring to retail releases. I understand that VC and Wii U-ware beef up the total number of games, but these are the types of games that I can play elsewhere, and I just don't consider them to be true Wii U games... they're really just games that you CAN play on a Wii U. I already own almost all of Nintendo's old systems plus a PC that's more than capable of playing non-intensive games, I also don't need to replay a bunch of nes and snes games. Additionally, many the indie titles are available on 4 other platforms. I want to see games that are utilizing the hardware of the Wii U machine, and are reflective of a gen 7/8 game. That's what's lacking.

Howard24U

Deathgaze

Wii U is disappointing because there's nothing new with a wow factor. Not because of the number of titles it has. I've played Mario and Zelda for 20 plus years, I want something new.

Edited on by Deathgaze

Deathgaze

Nintendo Network ID: Deathgaze

skywake

Howard24U wrote:

First off, I'm sorry my comments offended you, that wasn't intended. Here is an analogy to help get my point across. Let's say we both pay good money to go to a Japanese buffet - under the impression that there will be a good selection of cuisines; sushi, sashimi, teriyaki, tempura... Now, you enjoy all kinds of Japanese cuisine and many kinds of sushi. I, despite having only tried a couple types of sushi know that I don't like it. I do however enjoy the other foods I expect to find there.

As it turns out, all this buffet is serving is different types of sushi... So as you're walking out, you're rubbing your stomach commenting on how full you are and how you loved the selection, yet I found the selection to be disappointing. Now I'm not saying the food they had wasn't of good quality, I just expected more selection, so that I would find things that met my personal tastes.

That's all I'm saying about the Wii U's game library.

And as I've stated before in other posts, I'm really referring to retail releases. I understand that VC and Wii U-ware beef up the total number of games, but these are the types of games that I can play elsewhere, and I just don't consider them to be true Wii U games... they're really just games that you CAN play on a Wii U. I already own almost all of Nintendo's old systems plus a PC that's more than capable of playing non-intensive games, I also don't need to replay a bunch of nes and snes games. Additionally, many the indie titles are available on 4 other platforms. I want to see games that are utilizing the hardware of the Wii U machine, and are reflective of a gen 7/8 game. That's what's lacking.

You should have a look at the video game awards being thrown around right now. The XBOne "GOTY" on IGN went to Assassin's Creed 4 and the one for PS4 went to Resogun. So if we want to talk just AAA exclusive full retail titles then the Wii U wipes the floor because it had Super Mario 3D World which is apparently the only one that matters according to your measurements. Although apparently it doesn't matter either because you're not into the "Nintendo's sushi" that's on offer anyways.

And another thing, your sushi bar analogy, this is the Nintendo version of the sushi bar here. They have the Pikmin sushi, Mario sushi and they're soon getting the Mario Kart sushi and Smash Bros sushi. If you don't like Nintendo sushi then why the hell did you go to the sushi bar with your mates? Nobody likes the dude who goes to a sushi bar and then spends all of the night complaining about how much they hate sushi. If you didn't like sushi then you should have stayed at home!

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MAB

Untitled

Huh! What?
Untitled

MAB

G-64

naaah, it'll come. It's only disappointing if you really need a whole lotta games. So, naaah

G-64

3DS Friend Code: 3952-8257-7348 | Nintendo Network ID: Goginho

Socar

If you look at VGchartz, you'll notice that......

Wii U has 131 games

PS4 has 103 games and

Xbox one has 77 games.......wow......

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

shingi_70

kkslider5552000 wrote:

ok, I know you're just lying because no one buys (traditional) strategy games on consoles. Because it's a stupid idea.

Regardless while I'm worried because gamers are dumb and sometimes utterly fail to buy interesting games (not just Nintendo isn't that right, Puppeteer fans?), right now my Wii U collection on retail is:
-an Open World pirate game that's part of an action meets stealth open world series
-a co-op 2d platformer
-Nintendo's fairly original take on strategy gaming that actually works for consoles
-an over-the-top action game with hints of strategy elements and a unique take on QTEs
-a Wii Sports-like minigame collection game but with Nintendo fanservice
-a first person shooter meets survival horror with a hint of Dark Souls

even ignoring my free Wii Sports Club trial or wtf Little Inferno is.

also honestly while Nintendo can sometimes be platformer obsessed...and I don't want to say this because it's so overdone and lame, but it honestly doesn't feel even close to as shooter obsessed Microsoft and Sony are. Considering there is so many cool games coming out, it is generally really bad that the stuff dominating the AAA conversation is Titanfall and Destiny, and I think both of those games will be REALLY good but it is not good that they are clearly THE GAMES of this year. It is as bad as Nintendo relying too much on Mario, but on a far wider scale and I kinda hope it has similar consequences. Like, can we focus on Project Spark or the Witness? Or how about Killer Instinct, people liked that apparently! There's a new Strider coming out! Broken Age or No Man's Sky? Just...something? I'd take Deep Down! Just something else, ANYTHING ELSE.

Well than don't focus on thos games, the beta for project Spark started last month. KI is doing well with double Helix putting up the classic costumes, and spinal, Flugore, plus more single players modes in the next three months.

Titanfall and Destiny will be the big games because they're multiplayer shooters, expecting anything else is naive. Its like complaining about fighting games in the nintes or how everything in the PC space is a moba these days.

On that note I feel Nintendo's much worse than both Microsoft and Sony when it comes to genre and IP use. For all the talkcof titanfall and Density both of those are third party games with first party backing. On average both MS and Sony's output is much more diverse than Nintendo's even with just comparing the 8th gen systems slate of already and TBR games.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SkywardLink98

skywake wrote:

3mill would give it an attach rate that was higher than it is on 360 and PS3. That's probably why they haven't bothered.

Attach rates don't matter. If a (purely hypothetical) console sold 100 units, and all 100 of those people bought GTA5, it has a 100% attach rate, but it's still only 100 sales.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

shingi_70

SkywardLink98 wrote:

skywake wrote:

3mill would give it an attach rate that was higher than it is on 360 and PS3. That's probably why they haven't bothered.

Attach rates don't matter. If a (purely hypothetical) console sold 100 units, and all 100 of those people bought GTA5, it has a 100% attach rate, but it's still only 100 sales.

I'd say attach Rate matters even more in the days of digital storefronts lime PSN and the eshop. The Vita is pretty much a failure of the product with a small Audience bit one of the reasons why inde developers priotize Vita versions and why Sony green lights games for it, is because it has a pretty high attach rate.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

skywake

SkywardLink98 wrote:

skywake wrote:

Except that when that decision is made the developer doesn't have that much of an idea of how many units will be sold. If similar games or the previous game in the series did just as well attach rate wise across all platforms it makes the decision much harder. Because then you're really taking a gamble on which platform will be more popular both in terms of sales and active use in 1-2 years. If you know that one platform favors that sort of game significantly over the other guys then that's where you go regardless

Like platformers for example. If you're making a platformer you make sure put it on Nintendo's platform every time because you know that you'll do alright. That's where the platformer fans "live", they all own that console. If you're making a brown war shooter thing then you're probably better going for whatever Microsoft's platform is for the same reason. If you're making a strategy game quit now if you're not putting it on PC. If it's something like Assassin's Creed then you can't really be as sure about which platforms to support because it has cross-platform appeal.

Edited on by skywake

skywake

@WaveBoy
I don't see what's so bad about the multiple versions of Zelda and Mario. New SMB maybe but not the rest of them. The newest versions of those titles more often than not has something entirely new about it that the previous version lacked. Just look at the jumps taken between Zelda and Mario games. Minish Cap to Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks to A Link Between Worlds, LttP to Ocarina of Time to Wind Waker, Mario 64 to Sunshine to Galaxy to 3D World. Those are not like the sort of jumps in style and mechanics that you see between one CoD or Assassin's Creed to the next.

Plus Nintendo has had new IP since Pikmin it just hasn't been the ones any of us wanted or were expecting to see. Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Training and so on. Pushmo or whatever it's called in the US. Those AR games and the whole idea of Miis in general including Streetpass plaza. Yeah there's nothing big and gamer friendly for a while but where else is there new IP floating around? Everyone is making sequels at least Nintendo's #X in the series is usually a large leap from #X-1.

If we want original ideas we should focus on indies, not big devs. We might not have anywhere else to look before long. I fear a bit of a bust is coming the way some of those big devs are going.

Edited on by skywake

Howard24U

skywake wrote:

You should have a look at the video game awards being thrown around right now. The XBOne "GOTY" on IGN went to Assassin's Creed 4 and the one for PS4 went to Resogun. So if we want to talk just AAA exclusive full retail titles then the Wii U wipes the floor because it had Super Mario 3D World which is apparently the only one that matters according to your measurements. Although apparently it doesn't matter either because you're not into the "Nintendo's sushi" that's on offer anyways.

Wow... it's crazy how much you over-analyzed my simple analogy. I'm not saying that AAA exclusive titles are the only thing that matters. In fact, not once did I even imply that. I simply said I want to see retail titles that are reflective of what a gen 7/8 game should look like. Ducktales Remastered for example is not what I would consider a Wii U game - it's just a game that you can play on a Wii U.

Secondly, I've stated earlier in this post that I play and enjoy almost every true Mario and Zelda game that Nintendo releases. This is what drives me to purchase Nintendo consoles. And yes, the Mario releases to date have been great games, but it will probably be 3 years from launch before we see a true Zelda title, despite the concept being teased at E3 2011. Sushi does not equal Nintendo IP in my analogy, but you knew that. I know you're just playing devil's advocate.

Me being disappointed with the Wii U library to-date is not a personal attack on you or anyone else who is happy with what there is - and I think a lot more people are in my boat than not. If the system offers you exactly what you want in terms of selection, then great, you can stop buying games, play what you have, and call this generation a wrap. Others are expecting more.

Howard24U

shingi_70

Wii U is gamecube 2.0 which is awesome. Saying that I wonder how wve and MAB thought about the N64/GameCube.

Also where did the brown shooter sterorype come from? COD is probably the only shooter that confirms yo that stereotype and even then there are levels with a lot of color its just desaturated.

WAT!

Darknyht

The Gamecube is probably the best comparison for the Wii U. There were a lot of great games on it, and I never regretted my choice to replace the dead launch PS2 with it. However, there were a lot of times that I was disappointed that a particular game never made it to the cube. But back then I was single and had a decent paying job and generally purchased a new game monthly (granted a lot were Player's Choice games at $19.99 or $29.99 a pop)

I am married with children now, and I don't have the ability to throw $60 down at the drop of a hat. Currently my purchasing power is limited to two or three big titles a year with a few indie/virtual console games thrown in. For that Nintendo First and Second-Party titles should supply more than enough for me.

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

CanisWolfred

@shingi_70

Homefront, Killzone, Resistance, Timeshift, Battlefield 3&4 + BC1&2, Gears of War and lots of other early shooters. It's more a stigma that was set up early on that has pervailed simply because people like to parrot things rather than take another look at the situation and see if things have changed. (On the rare occasions that they do take a look to see if the situation has changed, they just look at the same series they saw before, see that those haven't changed (because heaven forbid those series chose those looks as a stylistic choice), and then assume that the rest are still the same without actually looking at the new stuff that has come up since then)

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

I'll give you killzone that's probably the mist brown game I've seen.

But don't most people realize that these games are brown because most of them take place in middle eastern countries which for the most part are very brown

On that note I wish someone would make a kid friendly FPS. I guess the plants vs zombies shooter will be the first.

WAT!

WebHead

Tbh, not to be a jerk but I'm kinda tired of Wii U owners whining about not having enough games. There are games. You just have to buy them. As I said earlier, you get what you pay for and support.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Lionsshare

WebHead wrote:

Tbh, not to be a jerk but I'm kinda tired of Wii U owners whining about not having enough games. There are games. You just have to buy them. As I said earlier, you get what you pay for and support.

This guy gets it.

Lionsshare

DefHalan

Spoony wrote:

WebHead wrote:

This guy gets it.

I agree but i think most of the people complaining actually don't have a Wii U or they buy all 3rd Party games for other systems because thats where their friends are. Wii U is my primary source of gaming currently and I already have a backlog of Wii U games

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.