Forums

Topic: Third Party Support in 2015?

Posts 121 to 140 of 140

Bolt_Strike

gcunit wrote:

I'd like to think that Disney will make a new Star Wars game sometime around the release of The Force Awakens. Hopefully they'll see sense and include a Wii U version, and hopefully it'll actually be half decent.

Since when have movie tie in games been half decent?

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Trent_Easton

I would say to the OP though, E3 this year was a good sign that Nintendo have acknowledged the problem and are trying to address it themselves by filling in the gaps left by 3rd parties. If you look at the two new IP's Splatoon and Codename STEAM, it's clear that they are trying to actively target audiences they haven't before with those games. I'm hopeful that this trend will continue and expand in the future, particularly with things like Miyamoto's 'Garage' initiative and other collaborative projects.

While the future of 3rd parties on Nintendo hardware is unclear, I think you'll see a more diverse array of games coming from Nintendo and development partners in the coming years. That's the impression I get.

Edited on by Trent_Easton

Currently playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Legend of Zelda: ALBW.

CaviarMeths

Trent_Easton wrote:

I would say to the OP though, E3 this year was a good sign that Nintendo have acknowledged the problem and are trying to address it themselves by filling in the gaps left by 3rd parties. If you look at the two new IP's Splatoon and Codename STEAM, it's clear that they are trying to actively target audiences they haven't before with those games. I'm hopeful that this trend will continue and expand in the future, particularly with things like Miyamoto's 'Garage' initiative and other collaborative projects.

While the future of 3rd parties on Nintendo hardware is unclear, I think you'll see a more diverse array of games coming from Nintendo and development partners in the coming years. That's the impression I get.

I don't think Splatoon and Code Name STEAM are going to attract many people that aren't already Nintendo fans. If they want to fill gaps, here's a list of empty spaces in Nintendo's first party library:

(1) Games that revolve around online community and play (Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, etc)
(2) Games with a primary focus on cinematic storytelling (The Last of Us, new Tomb Raider, etc)
(3) Games set in an open world focused on realism and violence (Grand Theft Auto, Skyrim, etc)

Well, realism and violence sort of says it all, really.

The first isn't going to happen, because Nintendo just found out about the internet in 2006 and are about a decade behind everybody else, but the other two can still happen. They don't even have to make these sort of games themselves. They could just publish them. Nintendo needs to be paying for other developers to be making games like those in (2) and (3). If they are exclusives and must-haves, it would attract a lot of gamers that don't typically buy Nintendo systems. Once Nintendo has that audience, then they can start thinking about getting multiplats from the big western publishers.

But while the new IP coming in 2015 is appreciated, it really just screams to me that Nintendo's business plan is to keep making games that only current Nintendo fans will like.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shingi_70

gcunit wrote:

I'd like to think that Disney will make a new Star Wars game sometime around the release of The Force Awakens. Hopefully they'll see sense and include a Wii U version, and hopefully it'll actually be half decent.

Battlefront is coming next fall for PC, ps4 and xbone.

Disney infinity 3 will probably be star wars.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Blast

I love my Wii U and enjoy it so much but I really hope this is the last gen where Nintendo has bad 3rd party support because I am tired of the Wii U missing just too many games. Its embarrassing sometimes to see an exciting 3rd party game get revealed and to know that the Wii U isn't getting it. Just wow. So glad I'm getting a PS4 next year.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Grumblevolcano

Blast wrote:

I love my Wii U and enjoy it so much but I really hope this is the last gen where Nintendo has bad 3rd party support because I am tired of the Wii U missing just too many games. Its embarrassing sometimes to see an exciting 3rd party game get revealed and to know that the Wii U isn't getting it. Just wow. So glad I'm getting a PS4 next year.

Lets be realistic, 3rd party support has been bad since the 90s. The future probably holds the same situation for the next home console as with Wii U, namely only really indies and SEGA as well as Nintendo paid projects such as Bayonetta 2. The big 3rd party companies such as EA, Ubisoft, Activision thrive off the first party offerings being generally complete trash which is something that won't happen with Nintendo consoles.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Blast

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Blast wrote:

Lets be realistic, 3rd party support has been bad since the 90s. The future probably holds the same situation for the next home console as with Wii U, namely only really indies and SEGA as well as Nintendo paid projects such as Bayonetta 2. The big 3rd party companies such as EA, Ubisoft, Activision thrive off the first party offerings being generally complete trash which is something that won't happen with Nintendo consoles.

Oh come on... Sony and Microsoft both have amazing 1st party games. 3rd parties like them for various reasons that Nintendo and its fan base (yes, US) just can't do. But I will say that with all these remasters and ports coming, you would think the Wii U be a great place to test out sakes and reception but no.... We can't even get Resident Evil: Revelations 2 or DmC or GTA V or games the PS3 and Xbox 360 kepp getting! I'm just so tired of it.

Master of the Hype Train

Bolt_Strike

Blast wrote:

Oh come on... Sony and Microsoft both have amazing 1st party games.

Not on PS4/One, both their lineups are fairly mediocre and bloated with the usual shooters and gritty action games. Granted, both of them have the opportunity to improve their lineups, but for the time being neither of them have particularly good 1st party offerings.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Blast

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Blast wrote:

Not on PS4/One, both their lineups are fairly mediocre and bloated with the usual shooters and gritty action games. Granted, both of them have the opportunity to improve their lineups, but for the time being neither of them have particularly good 1st party offerings.

Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive both look great to me from Xbox. Sony does their own cool thing. Just opinions, though.

Master of the Hype Train

CaviarMeths

Saying that MS/PS only have X game type is exactly the same as saying that Nintendo only has platformers. Just because you have no interest in a brand and aren't bothered to do a minimal amount of googling doesn't mean that other publishers aren't offering a variety of games.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

shingi_70

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Blast wrote:

Dude there is only around four games that match that reuirement altogether for Microsoft's first party content.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Trent_Easton

SpookyMeths wrote:

Trent_Easton wrote:

I don't think Splatoon and Code Name STEAM are going to attract many people that aren't already Nintendo fans. If they want to fill gaps, here's a list of empty spaces in Nintendo's first party library:

(1) Games that revolve around online community and play (Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, etc)
(2) Games with a primary focus on cinematic storytelling (The Last of Us, new Tomb Raider, etc)
(3) Games set in an open world focused on realism and violence (Grand Theft Auto, Skyrim, etc)

The first isn't going to happen, because Nintendo just found out about the internet in 2006 and are about a decade behind everybody else, but the other two can still happen. They don't even have to make these sort of games themselves. They could just publish them. Nintendo needs to be paying for other developers to be making games like those in (2) and (3). If they are exclusives and must-haves, it would attract a lot of gamers that don't typically buy Nintendo systems. Once Nintendo has that audience, then they can start thinking about getting multiplats from the big western publishers.

But while the new IP coming in 2015 is appreciated, it really just screams to me that Nintendo's business plan is to keep making games that only current Nintendo fans will like.

I see what you're saying, but money-hatting those types of games would be an extremely expensive investment without any sort of guaranteed return. It would also set a potentially dangerous precedent i think. I think Nintendo are in an unenviable position as it stands. They can't court the casual market because they've moved on and have no loyalty. Doing what you suggest is asking them to enter as a challenger into an already overcrowded space with Microsoft, Sony, and PC.

I'm also not convinced it's just the lack of AAA Western titles, people are well and truly embedded within their preferred ecosystems on XBox, PS and PC. They had to make a decision 15-20 years ago whether they wanted to compete in that space and I feel as though they're too far down the path to change course.

Edited on by Trent_Easton

Currently playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Legend of Zelda: ALBW.

Blast

SpookyMeths wrote:

Trent_Easton wrote:

Agreed fully

Master of the Hype Train

Bolt_Strike

SpookyMeths wrote:

Well Mario Kart and Smash do have a pretty big online presence, and they seem to be pushing for Splatoon to follow suit. I don't think they're very fond of 2 or 3 though, the former because they're primarily focused on gameplay and the latter because they prefer family friendly games. But they do seem to be solving 3 with moneyhatting if Bayonetta is any indication.

Blast wrote:

Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive both look great to me from Xbox. Sony does their own cool thing. Just opinions, though.

I'm not really interested in Killer Instinct but Sunset Overdrive looks legitimately interesting. I'm not going to buy an Xbox One for just one game.

And while I can admit that Microsoft is slowly diversifying their lineup (as opposed to before 2013/2014 when it was mainly Halo, Forza, and a little bit of Fable), there's still quite a few gaps. They still don't make platformers for instance, which is a shame considering they're sitting on Rare IPs like Banjo Kazooie and Conker.

SpookyMeths wrote:

Saying that MS/PS only have X game type is exactly the same as saying that Nintendo only has platformers. Just because you have no interest in a brand and aren't bothered to do a minimal amount of googling doesn't mean that other publishers aren't offering a variety of games.

See, Sony as a whole has pretty good variety. But PS4 in particular is pretty lacking. They're mainly promoting new shooters and action IPs like The Order 1886 and Bloodborne. They only just started bringing over more varied games like LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, and Gran Turismo, and there's still quite a few missing like God of War, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper. So maybe in 2015/2016 the lineup will be good, but for now I can't say that the PS4 has anything really impressive.

Bolt_Strike

rockodoodle

Blast wrote:

exactly how i feel. and why i took the plunge and got an xbone. honestly i don't care for a lot of the stuff coming out on other consoles and plat forms, but i do love sports games, racing games and an occassional lord of the rings type deal. but wouldn't trade it for the wii u experience. i just want SOME of what the other consoles offer.

rockodoodle

SCRAPPER392

Ya. I don't think Killer Instinct is all that fun. It looks cool, but I've actually played it, and I think it actually lacks more than Street Fighter IV does. I wouldn't say anyone is missing out on much of anything with Killer Instinct. It just seems repetitive without very many different moves.

I'd rather play Tekken, MK, or Smash Bros, TBH. I don't think another Injustice game will happen, either, which is kind of in line with what WB is also doing with MK. I'm fine with these fighting games, and that's basically it.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Platypus101

Wow... We are still mourning the lack of third party support? Ugh. And you all say the same carp every time."no EA sports games!?" No Call of Duty?!" What?! No killing of innocents?!" Go buy a PS4 or XBOX1... You all know that none of that stuff is ever coming. Do all your friends have a Wii U? If not, do what I did, buy them one! Now I have a group of friends to play with! If it isTHAT important to you, there are answers. Buy a console where all those games ARE supported. Buy your friends a console so you can multiplayer online. But the "Lack of 3rd Party titles" is nothing to really mourn at this point. That is unless you feel you made a horrible mistake purchasing a Wii U, then by all means whine on!

Platypus101

electrolite77

Platypus101 wrote:

Wow... We are still mourning the lack of third party support? Ugh. And you all say the same carp every time."no EA sports games!?" No Call of Duty?!" What?! No killing of innocents?!" Go buy a PS4 or XBOX1... You all know that none of that stuff is ever coming. Do all your friends have a Wii U? If not, do what I did, buy them one! Now I have a group of friends to play with! If it isTHAT important to you, there are answers. Buy a console where all those games ARE supported. Buy your friends a console so you can multiplayer online. But the "Lack of 3rd Party titles" is nothing to really mourn at this point. That is unless you feel you made a horrible mistake purchasing a Wii U, then by all means whine on!

This is just ridiculous. So taking the lack of sports games as a problem (and it is) your solution is to buy other people a Wii U to play games that don't exist? Every previous Nintendo machine has had plenty of sports games. Every previous Nintendo machine (and the Wii U for two years) has had Call of Duty. Nintendo promised strong third-party support for the Wii U and it hasn't happened.

These are all legitimate complaints and concerns and people are well within their rights to voice them. Until they're fixed (or people give up and stop buying Nintendo machines) you'll keep hearing these complaints.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Blast

rockodoodle wrote:

Blast wrote:

exactly how i feel. and why i took the plunge and got an xbone. honestly i don't care for a lot of the stuff coming out on other consoles and plat forms, but i do love sports games, racing games and an occassional lord of the rings type deal. but wouldn't trade it for the wii u experience. i just want SOME of what the other consoles offer.

Exactly. Enjoy your Xbox One!

Master of the Hype Train

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.