Forums

Topic: Third Party Support in 2015?

Posts 101 to 120 of 140

shingi_70

Blast wrote:

I hate the say the term "dudebro" but there are a group of gamers who literally only buy big mainstream games and ignore anything else. Guys who live and breathe Madden. Its okay cuz everyone tastes is different but it hurts Nintendo the most.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan but next gen... I just can't do this lack of 3rd party support. I hope they fix this issue next gen. Its ridiculous and almost embarrassing. I love Nintendo's style of gaming but missing games just sucks.

Well it only hurts Nintendo due to lack of those games on the console. During the 32 bit era Nintendo owned the sports games market due too the four controllers and lack of load times. They had

Madden
Blitz
The Mario sports series
Major League Baseball with Ken Griffey/Slugfest
NBA Courtside
NBA Jam
Crusin USA/World
Wave Race
1080 Snowboarding
F-zero X
Gloldeneye 007
Doom 64
Perfect Dark
Conker
Jet Force Genemi

if you the majority of those games were from western developer both internal and external.

Nintendo more or less had what would be called the Dude-bro market on lock during that generation due to the multiplayer focus of the Nintendo 64 and the lack of load times on its cartridge based games making multiplayer games much more of a thing. The PlayStation had took the JRPG and the sega kid market for the most [art (lets not even try to kid ourselves the Saturn was a mad flop) while Nintenod kept their market and made a new one with the Multiplayer proto dude bro fcus alongside the usual Nintendo fare. What happened was the Xbox was announced onto the Market with Halo as its flagship title which was the spiritual successor to Goldeneye/Perfect dark as well as a suite of well made first party sports games which took that market away from Nintendo a bit. Instead of fighting it they let their western branches die which mad even more talent go to MS and Sony, and allowed Microsoft to Scoop up Rare which had a good chuck of Nintendo's western IP.

Its not impossible for Nintendo to get its first party back or even third party developers back in the game but it will take a while for it too happen.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

sub12

Me and my brother were pretty much that group, the ones that liked Command and Conquer 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 2, Quake 2, Bettle Adventure Racing, etc.......and just like you mentioned, right when the GCN launched we became pretty wary of Nintendo (no I don't want a toon Link, a Zelda Star Fox, some werid as hell title called Pikmin that no one understood, and some Mario game about cleaning the enviorment, FU Nintendo).

We sold the GameCube and picked up an Xbox pretty quickly.

Edited on by sub12

sub12

LegatoSkyheart

If any 3rd Party game comes up for WiiU it'll be sudden and quick.

We won't know what we'll get from 3rd Parties unlike PC, PS4 or Xbox One releases.

Think Call of Duty 4 Reflex Edition for Wii. No one knew that the Wii was going to get that game and it came out of no where.....and it was like a few years late.

So yeah if the WiiU is going to get anything from 3rd Party it'll probably either be an Old game or something quickly made in a split second and be announced maybe a month from it's launch.

LegatoSkyheart

MsJubilee

sub12 wrote:

Me and my brother were pretty much that group, the ones that liked Command and Conquer 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 2, Quake 2, Bettle Adventure Racing, etc.......and just like you mentioned, right when the GCN launched we became pretty wary of Nintendo (no I don't want a toon Link, a Zelda Star Fox, some werid as hell title called Pikmin that no one understood, and some Mario game about cleaning the enviorment, FU Nintendo).

Wow you like hearing yourself talk huh? Cause for real it sounds like you're a fanboy to Xbox,cause what a coincidence you sold your gamecube for an Xbox and you like saying Xbox alot in your posts friendo.Why did i just say friendo to you?Weird

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Trent_Easton

When XBox entered the picture in 2001, Nintendo basically ceded the Western market for video games without even a whimper. They didn't seem to care, and still don't for some reason. Iwata came in and basically said "no more western games" from Nintendo, they've just become more and more isolated and internally focused over the years.

The wii u is a console made for a 'home' market that no longer exists, with software primarily aimed at people who generally don't buy video games. It's no mystery, really... You have to actually create an environment for 3rd party to exist on your platform. Leading with software of a similar nature is helpful, but it goes much deeper than that. At the end of the day, I think they're better for not having awful publishers like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft dictate to them. It's a big reason I think they like their consoles to be developer un-friendly... but, at what cost?

Edited on by Trent_Easton

Currently playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Legend of Zelda: ALBW.

DefHalan

^When did Nintendo make "western" games

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Chrono_Cross

unrandomsam wrote:

The DS did well with JRPG's (Both the kind I like and the kind I don't really).

That's not what we're talking about.

iKhan wrote:

Speaking relatively, yes. The Wii steamrolls the Wii U, GC, and N64 in terms of the number of JRPGs it got. It may not have gotten the cream of the crop, but it also didn't get much that was genuinely bad.

It still pales in comparison to the likes of the Playstation 1-3 and the Xbox 360.

Nintendo hasn't had a plethora of role playing games on its home consoles since the Super Nintendo. The Wii received a highly regarded JRPG towards the end of its life (Xenoblade), and thoroughly choked on platformers year after year. This is a list of forty-eight Wii role playing games. Except, it's a pretty bad list considering Alien Syndrome is not a role playing game and several games are either listed multiple times or have never seen the light of day outside of specific countries.

So, no, the Wii did not do pretty well with JRPGs.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Trent_Easton

DefHalan wrote:

As in Rare, and other 2nd party developers that existed in the SNES/N64 era to create exclusive content for the NOA market...(games funded either all or in part by Nintendo, and development resources committed to...). All that went by the wayside from the late 90's onwards as NOA senior management moved on (or were moved on).

It wasn't exactly the same as having full 3rd party support, but at least it gave the N64 a sense of diversity that is sorely lacking right now. It also made the platform unique from the others.

DefHalan

Trent_Easton wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

As in Rare, and other 2nd party developers that existed in the SNES/N64 era to create exclusive content for the NOA market...(games funded either all or in part by Nintendo, and development resources committed to...). All that went by the wayside from the late 90's onwards as NOA senior management moved on (or were moved on).

Rare had similar design in their games to Nintendo games (except maybe Conker) What games are you referencing?

Trent_Easton

DefHalan wrote:

Trent_Easton wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Rare had similar design in their games to Nintendo games (except maybe Conker) What games are you referencing?

Stuff like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Ken Griffey Baseball, Eternal Darkness, Cruisn, and NBA Courtside, and an NHL game I believe.. Turok was also a console exclusive and debuted on the 64... Nintendo don't make FPS games or 2D fighters.

Vincent294

midnafanboy wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Wow you like hearing yourself talk huh? Cause for real it sounds like you're a fanboy to Xbox,cause what a coincidence you sold your gamecube for an Xbox and you like saying Xbox alot in your posts friendo.Why did i just say friendo to you?Weird

I joke that the Xbox is HaloBox, Halo's that good. Then take the other exclusives into account (back before the non-Halo exclusives went multi-plat after the 1st entry and the others were dudebro) along with the revolution that was Xbox Live, and it's not a fanboyish option. In fact, it's perfectly sane. Oh, that last part. Okay, he is a bit of a fanboy.

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

My Nintendo: Vincent294 | Nintendo Network ID: Vincent294

Vincent294

Adios John Cena troll! DO NOT SCROLL UP

Edited on by Vincent294

Vincent294

My Nintendo: Vincent294 | Nintendo Network ID: Vincent294

arnoldlayne83

Unfortunately we won't see any 3rd parties on the Console, as long this are the selling numbers (both consoles and 3rd parties on the platform).

If you aim for big 3rd parties productions, just get a PS4 or XBOX (or a pc).

PS: to whom aiming to master chief collection, it is still fully broken, for many users (now angry and ranting) it is still impossible to play online.... so be careful

psn: markthesovver83 ; Nnid: arnoldlayne83

Nintendo Network ID: arnoldlayne83

CaviarMeths

I think a lot of people focus too much on the whole "Nintendo fans don't buy 3rd party games" thing. This is true, but it's ignoring the larger market. Lots of people don't buy the major AAA titles like CoD and FIFA. Plenty of people have a preferred developer or style of game and don't stray too far outside of that comfort zone. Probably 95% of the games I played as a teenager were JRPGs.

But that's not the problem. The problem isn't selling Call of Duty to Nintendo fans. The problem is selling Nintendo to Call of Duty fans. The market is at a place now where the biggest, best selling games place a heavy focus on either online multiplayer, cinematic storytelling, or realistic open worlds, none at which the Wii U excels. More than needing the PC architecture or higher end specs of PS4 and XBO, the Wii U needs a robust online experience and Nintendo needs to start publishing games like The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto. Games like Mario Kart and Smash are big successes that sell millions of copies, but it's preaching to the choir. It hardly counts as a killer app when the only people buying it are the people who already had or planned to have a Wii U.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

MrGawain

I think Console gaming being so US based is what is really hitting Ninty on the 3rd party front. The NES, SNES, Master System and Mega Drive were all built on their own software and the foundation of Japanese developers such as Capcom, Konami, Square, Namco, Tecmo, and even Sony. The US games were along for the ride. Now Nintendo is left with a lot smaller list of Japanese allies and they make less games, With Konami and Square not supporting the Wii U. And you could argue that the sort of games Japan is producing isn't appealing to Americans and the rest of the world as much, with even Japan not buying as many console games. No matter the quality, the West doesn't want Japanese culture as much at the moment. EA, Ubi, Activision and Warner Bros are currently in fashion despite their questionable business practises and they want to do business with American Xbox and Sony dressed in American clothes because they don't deviate from the status quo or demand better.

Japan's developers are starting to band together to support each other, and although it'll be a long process, it's the only way they'll survive.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

shingi_70

DefHalan wrote:

Look at the past at my post on the last page, while its true Rare did make a few games by copying the Nintendo Platformers and Mario Kart of the time, you than forget Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemani. As well during the N64 and early gamecube era Nintendo of America was less of a a marketing branch and had a ton of autonmy to the point that they had development studios making sports games, and partnering to make stuff like Eternal Darkness and Giest. However once Iwata took over he gutted the department to consolidate power into NCL and go with his blue ocean stragety which was an enormous success but didn't do anything to stop the fickle casual audience for leaving in mass, and Nintendo never did anything sort of major attack to the kids who had gotten wii's as their first console. Instead they rested on their laurels for that two year gap that when the Wii U was finally announced the market of gamers who started with the Wii U had been already thrown into either the Xbox or the PS3 and they're exclusives and titles like minecraft.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

SCRAPPER392

@shingi_70
Ya, but that is my point that they had those IPs. People still didn't care. They were on a track like that, coming off of N64, because PS was taking customers by offering those games, but by the time they started trying to offer games like that, those people were already part of PS gaming. It hurt them badly that no one bought and cared to play those games; not that they got rid of them.

People forget that Nintendo focuses on what they do, because of what they throw their money at. Resident Evil being exclusive on GCN and not being enough of a success, is why Nintendo doesn't bother trying to get get exclusives like that, anymore. Capcom is bringing it back on 7th and 8th gen consoles, and any money they make from it is still probably making up for poor performance back in 6th gen. They didn't milk REmake like they did RE4.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

DefHalan

Personally I am not a fan of the terms "western" design and that stuff like that. I feel each company, no matter where they are, has a certain way they design games. However with the conversation, I feel Rare's design matched pretty well with Nintendo's back in the day which lead to their games not feeling like they were targeting a different audience imo. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark feel like they were targeting the same audience as Mario 64 and 1080 Snowboarding. But this is all just my opinion.

WiiWareWave

I heard that Cyber Connect 2 are currently working on a new .Hack game that might be released on the PS4, XBone, and Wii U, but the source was 4chan....so I really wouldn't take the news seriously at all...

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

gcunit

I'd like to think that Disney will make a new Star Wars game sometime around the release of The Force Awakens. Hopefully they'll see sense and include a Wii U version, and hopefully it'll actually be half decent.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.