Forums

Topic: The Wonderful 102!

Posts 21 to 35 of 35

Tritonus

Rin-go wrote:

@MyNameIs-
I enjoyed it, too, though I don't own the game yet. But it seems that there are quite a few people who were put off by the demo despite initial interest. There are also those who didn't like the demo, bought it anyway and actually liked it then.
It seems the demo has done some damage, though. As have the reviews.

Yeah, the demo initially put me off, which is the reason I don't have the game YET, but the positive word of mouth, a couple glowing reviews (Kotaku for instance) and watching videos online has convinced me I need this game. Would have gotten it in the flash sale that happened the other day on UK eShop if I had been around for it.

Infinite Crisis (DC Comics MOBA) Beta Invite:

https://www.infinitecrisis.com/en/account/registration?utm_source=86b226d9-cf09-e311-a320-bc305b234d58&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=IC_RAF

GuSolarFlare

they should make it named the Viewtiful 101!

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Sean_Aaron

ACK wrote:

I just desperately hope they fix the litany of issues. For their own sake. Everything from the camera to the menus to the progression requires a total rethinking to bring it all up to the expected Nintendo level of accessibility and playability. If you ask me, the entire concept needs a lot of work before it can will ever gain widespread acceptance. As much as I adore everything it stands for, it cannot be ignored how conceptually and structurally flawed The W101 is as a gaming product in 2013.

A shame, yes, but true.

Yeah, I bought it because of the download discount offered to Pikmin 3 downloaders otherwise I probably would have skipped it. The interface stuff was really poor and coupled with the regular use of QTEs that didn't work with the touch screen (why?), it just killed what interest I had in playing it. Nintendo definitely should have stepped in and provided some guidance on controls and menus and all developers should stop doing these goddam annoying non-game cinematic sequences. I didn't like the "non-game" experience of Dragon's Lair and its like in the arcade and I sure as hell don't want to press a button to see the next chapter thirty years later. If I want to watch a movie I'll watch a movie, thanks!

I've just been playing games far too long to give a pass to stuff that's frankly shoddy like poor menu interfaces and controls - especially when I'm playing games like Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World that epitomise the very best in design and were released in the same timeframe.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Rezalack

^Umm.. you can use the Wii U Screen for drawing out attacks during QTEs. That's all I used during them until I got better with the joystick. Maybe that's not what you're talking about though.. I didn't have any problem with the menus either, I mean, yah, they were a bit shoddy, but they didn't hurt my gaming experience one bit. They could use a little tweaking for smoother transitions but I've seen much worse in games.

Anyways, I'd buy Wonderful 102 day one, without question. I put more hours into that game than any other last year. It's a great game.

@SomeBitTripFan You can find W101 for $30 new on eBay here in the US. I don't think it'd be that much different in other countries, I think the game actually had a price drop recently. Don't quote me on that though.

Edited on by Rezalack

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

rolLTheDice

The Wonderful 404 sounds more likely.

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

Sean_Aaron

Spuratis wrote:

^Umm.. you can use the Wii U Screen for drawing out attacks during QTEs. That's all I used during them until I got better with the joystick. Maybe that's not what you're talking about though.. I didn't have any problem with the menus either, I mean, yah, they were a bit shoddy, but they didn't hurt my gaming experience one bit.

It kept resetting the line for me for whatever reason - maybe I didn't have enough guys, but during a QTE pressing a button is usually good enough. The touchscreen was also not that great in play either trying to line people up to go into places to earn extra items so I stopped using it other than menus. For menus there were too many and having to hit exit twice made little sense to me. Coupled with a style that felt like it was done better in Viewtiful Joe and I just couldn't sustain interest. And only one playable female character - really?

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

HankLangley

i liked the game, but it deserves a better title than wonderful 102. Too early for a sequel. but it it kinda does need one.

Edited on by HankLangley

real Italian meatballs are made by real Italian meatball men.

Used to be Doge

3DS Friend Code: 3394-3778-3936 | Nintendo Network ID: Gansano

Rezalack

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Spuratis wrote:

^Umm.. you can use the Wii U Screen for drawing out attacks during QTEs. That's all I used during them until I got better with the joystick. Maybe that's not what you're talking about though.. I didn't have any problem with the menus either, I mean, yah, they were a bit shoddy, but they didn't hurt my gaming experience one bit.

It kept resetting the line for me for whatever reason - maybe I didn't have enough guys, but during a QTE pressing a button is usually good enough. The touchscreen was also not that great in play either trying to line people up to go into places to earn extra items so I stopped using it other than menus. For menus there were too many and having to hit exit twice made little sense to me. Coupled with a style that felt like it was done better in Viewtiful Joe and I just couldn't sustain interest. And only one playable female character - really?

Well, technically, there was a ton of female characters that you could play as but I know what you're saying. You could switch the main characters with any of the 101 you had in your group as long as they wielded the right weapon. The exiting the main menu by press b twice kind of threw me off at first, too. I'm not sure why it was necessary, it's not like you had to press B once to press L or R to switch menus...

There was also a lot of stuff you couldn't do with your liner if you didn't have enough characters. You'd have to back track to all the levels once you had enough to unlock items. I know when I first started playing the game I was trying to draw stuff and it wouldn't let me it got annoying, but once you got enough characters and the hang of the game, it was excellent, at least for me. I love a good challenge and rewarding gameplay, that's what I got from the game. I can see why a lot of people didn't like it though.

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

MAN1AC

Day 1.
Hopefully they consider changing the camera angles as well.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

MrGawain

I really don't get why people say it was hard. I know my gaming skill is lacklustre at best, but I played through on normal first off and got through the game. I used a few continues but got straight back at it. I struggled a bit drawing the hammer but got used to it as time went on. To me it ranks in my top 10 all time games as something both shocking, but familiar and comfortable at the same time.

Plus it's downright hilarious.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

luisesteban

MrGawain wrote:

I really don't get why people say it was hard. I know my gaming skill is lacklustre at best, but I played through on normal first off and got through the game.

Did play the hard modes?

Any way, the hardest thing in this games are the battles against Prince Vorkken, I never go through those battles without a bunch of continues, when you catch how to play it, well it get less hard, but sometimes is really challenging.

luisesteban

LucinaSmash

Should I get The Wonderful 101? The only Platinum Games I played was MadWorld and the only enjoyment I got from it is the insane boss battles.

Edited on by LucinaSmash

For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p

luisesteban

Yes. You would like it.

luisesteban

UGXwolf

Never doubt the power that continuing a franchise has. The very first CoD didn't even sell over 1 million units. Another W101 (or another ZombiU) with marked improvement could be great for either series.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.