Wii U Forum

Topic: The Wonderful 101

Showing 221 to 240 of 364

AuthorMessage

Judgedean

221. Posted:

Love the game (apart from the save point oversight) on 001a. Crazy Japanese stuff which I love

Judgedean

AuthorMessage

Emblem

222. Posted:

MrGawain wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on the topic who BOUGHT the game but felt let down by it? The demo doesn't do the whole experience justice. I would love to come out with a bunch of spoilers like what happens when you have to get past the missiles, or when you have to get the giant robot to let go of the command ship, or how you control the command ship in the level, or the enemy ship in another level, or how you get past the lock where the power isn't on, but by doing so I would be spoiling the element of surprise that makes the game so fantastic. The surprise is in the first play through, and then you want to play the level 5 times more to find all the things and do it right.

All I can tell anyone who hasn't bought the game is:

-This game is not Pikmin. At all. It's more like if Bayonetta wasn't one person, but made up of Suikoden like characters who fight in a gang. It's an action game, a puzzler, a 3d scrolling beat-'em up.

-The control system isn't broken, it has to be learned because of the Upad. This is what you buy a Wii U for, new game experiences. It uses the pad more than any other game, except for maybe Nintendoland. You can defeat the game by thugging your way though, but as you play you learn little nuances of how to be a better fighter and what unites to use for different scenarios. The challenge of the game is to be able to draw the unite whilst continuing the battle. It's 'a new experience' (that people keep asking from their games) that makes the game more satisfying.

-This is the funniest game on the Wii U, and probably in the top 10 of all systems in the past 10 years. It can be quite grizzly in some of it's action, but there is always humour in it. It mocks the superhero/gundam genre.

-Bosses are a big factor in this game. expect 3-10 pretty tough battles per level, plus 1-3 major bosses. And there tends to be a factor of puzzling in defeating the mega bosses- don't expect to just hack at them to win.

Frankly, if you own a Wii U and you don't experience this game, I wonder why you wanted to buy a system with this control pad. It isn't just brilliant, it makes the Wii U brilliant at what it's supposed to do and that's be different.

I agree with your assessment especially the Bayonetta comparison, it has the same outlandish sets and overblown action scenes with a constant stream of exciting and varied boss fights. I really think anyone with a Wii U needs to experience this game.

Emblem

AuthorMessage

Phatosaurus

223. Posted:

MrGawain wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on the topic who BOUGHT the game but felt let down by it? The demo doesn't do the whole experience justice. I would love to come out with a bunch of spoilers like what happens when you have to get past the missiles, or when you have to get the giant robot to let go of the command ship, or how you control the command ship in the level, or the enemy ship in another level, or how you get past the lock where the power isn't on, but by doing so I would be spoiling the element of surprise that makes the game so fantastic. The surprise is in the first play through, and then you want to play the level 5 times more to find all the things and do it right.

All I can tell anyone who hasn't bought the game is:

-This game is not Pikmin. At all. It's more like if Bayonetta wasn't one person, but made up of Suikoden like characters who fight in a gang. It's an action game, a puzzler, a 3d scrolling beat-'em up.

-The control system isn't broken, it has to be learned because of the Upad. This is what you buy a Wii U for, new game experiences. It uses the pad more than any other game, except for maybe Nintendoland. You can defeat the game by thugging your way though, but as you play you learn little nuances of how to be a better fighter and what unites to use for different scenarios. The challenge of the game is to be able to draw the unite whilst continuing the battle. It's 'a new experience' (that people keep asking from their games) that makes the game more satisfying.

-This is the funniest game on the Wii U, and probably in the top 10 of all systems in the past 10 years. It can be quite grizzly in some of it's action, but there is always humour in it. It mocks the superhero/gundam genre.

-Bosses are a big factor in this game. expect 3-10 pretty tough battles per level, plus 1-3 major bosses. And there tends to be a factor of puzzling in defeating the mega bosses- don't expect to just hack at them to win.

Frankly, if you own a Wii U and you don't experience this game, I wonder why you wanted to buy a system with this control pad. It isn't just brilliant, it makes the Wii U brilliant at what it's supposed to do and that's be different.

^^

If you're on the fence whether to get TW101 and you can only read one post in this thread about it, read that one.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

AuthorMessage

Pahvi

224. Posted:

I bought the game and after the first stage, I find it nigh unplayable on my system. The reason is that I have a 23" TV that is 2.5m away from my sofa. The characters, especially the small enemies, are just way too small. This means I'll have to throw in some more good money for a larger screen.

And yes, I did play the demo but for reason or another didn't really notice this. Or maybe it was my later purchase of Lego City Undercover that showed me that my TV really is too small.

There are no objective "must-buys" or "must-haves", only "must-try".

AuthorMessage

iwanttodie

225. Posted:

Was I the only one expecting the story to be very cheesy, then being blown away by it?

STOP BRINGING THE GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMY
mods delete me
OOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY DOWN MAN
PLAY NI NO KUNI AND MOTHER 3

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8775-4247 | Nintendo Network ID: Shadowing27

AuthorMessage

K964

226. Posted:

NOT_Shadowing wrote:

Was I the only one expecting the story to be very cheesy, then being blown away by it?

Just another reason I'm dying to play this. Can you please tell me without spoilers how the story compares to Kid Icarus Uprising?

"Good. Everyone's together. Pyrrhon loves a party."
"...It's funny because marriage is terrible!"
If you know the origin of both of those quotes, then you're awesome!

AuthorMessage

iwanttodie

227. Posted:

K964 wrote:

NOT_Shadowing wrote:

Just another reason I'm dying to play this. Can you please tell me without spoilers how the story compares to Kid Icarus Uprising?

There are alot of twists near the end, ALOT more characters than what has been revealed, and overall it just wants you to play more.

STOP BRINGING THE GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMY
mods delete me
OOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY GOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMYGOOMY DOWN MAN
PLAY NI NO KUNI AND MOTHER 3

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8775-4247 | Nintendo Network ID: Shadowing27

AuthorMessage

Beta

228. Posted:

Man, just defeated the first boss and heck was it like a death train ride! It's just the most EPIC boss I've EVER fought in my ENTIRE life! :') <3 Really, it's SOOOO EPIC BEYOND DESCRIPTION! Not a single boss was half as epic as this XP No, seriously, the boss is intense and INSANE, FREAKIN' INSAAAANE! I felt like my hair had an explosion after finishing. No boss fight EVER left such an impression on me and they were almost always a chore. I just feel like my hair was blown out from the awesomeness! It feels like... COMING OUT OF AN EXPLOSION ALIVE! I don't think I will be able to play any game again and not be bored ;_; /end of hyper crazy attack
Anyway, I don't think people are giving this masterpiece enough. If you have a Wii U or even on the fence with this game, get it! You won't regret a single penny! Don't listen to reviews, they aren't giving it enough credit, really. Also, did anyone else thing that if they threw in the first boss people would've maybe became more excited about this?

Beta

Nintendo Network ID: beta4attack

AuthorMessage

Banker-Style

229. Posted:

This game is actually quite funny,love Wonder Blue and Pink.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

AuthorMessage

DiSTANToblivion

230. Posted:

This game is insanely underrated and being wrongly accused of having broken controls. Yes they can be fiddly at times but it's nothing game breaking really. Practice makes perfect! Be patient and learn how to perform actions. The game is so epic and rewarding, you'll miss out on so much if you just play through the first missions and then stop. My mind has been blown numerous times so far by the sheer addictive craziness of it all. A definite must have.

Oh and some "professional" video reviews show the game being played incorrectly. Despite this they still mark the game down and blame the controls.

DiSTANToblivion

Twitter: DiSTANToblivion

AuthorMessage

Ryno

231. Posted:

Wow, you guys actually almost make me want to possibly get this game!

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

Phatosaurus

232. Posted:

This game just gets better and better. I'm 11 hours into it now and I've just started chapter 7.
The boss fights are just relentlessly over the top. I thought Bayonetta had some crazy fights, but this just surpasses it.

Btw, use the analogue stick to switch morphs, use the touchscreen to draw morphs for the QTEs. That's what I've been doing. I've had no problem with controls this way.

AuthorMessage

Kewlan

233. Posted:

Hey I just played the demo again to make sure I actually wanted this, and I was right.
Anyway! I noticed something; On a mission, I used Unite Gun, sword AND hand with the X button, friend morph or whatever it is called. But I STILL only got whatever is below bronze. Why is that? Does it only count the different attack you do yourself?

ಠ_ಠ

AuthorMessage

Phatosaurus

234. Posted:

Kewlan wrote:

Hey I just played the demo again to make sure I actually wanted this, and I was right.
Anyway! I noticed something; On a mission, I used Unite Gun, sword AND hand with the X button, friend morph or whatever it is called. But I STILL only got whatever is below bronze. Why is that? Does it only count the different attack you do yourself?

Your rank goes off you combo, time taken and damage taken.

I always get Platinum combos but my time and the damage I take often pulls my rank down.

AuthorMessage

Kewlan

235. Posted:

I know, it's the combo that's somehow low. What is it that determines how good at "combos" I am?

ಠ_ಠ

AuthorMessage

Phatosaurus

236. Posted:

I finished the game last night, thoroughly enjoyed the entire game. I started hard mode this morning and got smacked in the face by the massive spike in difficulty. Died 3 times in the first level.

Kewlan wrote:

I know, it's the combo that's somehow low. What is it that determines how good at "combos" I am?

Honestly, I don't know how it's calculated. Chaining your main unite morph attack with multi unite morphs tends to net me a lot of Platinum medals, so try that.

AuthorMessage

WebHead

237. Posted:

DiSTANToblivion wrote:

This game is insanely underrated and being wrongly accused of having broken controls. Yes they can be fiddly at times but it's nothing game breaking really. Practice makes perfect! Be patient and learn how to perform actions. The game is so epic and rewarding, you'll miss out on so much if you just play through the first missions and then stop. My mind has been blown numerous times so far by the sheer addictive craziness of it all. A definite must have.

Oh and some "professional" video reviews show the game being played incorrectly. Despite this they still mark the game down and blame the controls.

I find that funny. People complain that modern games hold our hands too much but when a game like this shows up that actually takes some learning that's two points off the review score.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

AuthorMessage

Phatosaurus

238. Posted:

Lot's of good information in these Saur videos, whether you're good or bad at the game I'm sure you will learn something from this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAbLRnGiWg&feature=c4-ove...

AuthorMessage

Ferret

239. Posted:

+1 for the Saur videos. They actually deserve a news post.

Perfect tutorial videos for a platinum games noob like me.

I'm seriously impressed with the constant framerate and no slowdowns. Wonderful 101 runs smooth as silk, there's no way a game like this would run anywhere near as smooth on the ps3 or xbox.

Edited on by Ferret

Ferret

AuthorMessage

Phatosaurus

240. Posted:

Ferret wrote:

+1 for the Saur videos. They actually deserve a news post.

Perfect tutorial videos for a platinum games noob like me.

I'm seriously impressed with the constant framerate and no slowdowns. Wonderful 101 runs smooth as silk, there's no way a game like this would run anywhere near as smooth on the ps3 or xbox.

My frame rate only got choppy when I dodged the final boss' laser attacks and my hero time (slow motion) activated. Flawless at all other times.