Wii U Forum

Topic: The Wii U can run Unreal Engine 4 but probably won't get it.

Showing 41 to 60 of 211

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

41. Posted:

The loss of Battlefield 4 and what else

And every missed opportunity for third party support from release day to this holiday season.

Even newly announced games are skipping U.

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

42. Posted:

PokeTune wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

@PokeTune

Yes, I DO expect Nintendo titles to sell "gangbusters." Luigi's Mansion is currently #1 on the Japanese charts, above all other PS3 and 360 games.

Yes, nobody expected Gears or Halo on a Ninty console, but we have people crying over Battlefield 4? How much different is that, really? "Not by much" said everyone ever. You do realize the Wii U is getting Injustice: Gods Among Us, Watchdogs, and the Assassin's Creed titles, right? What are you basing your argument on? The loss of Battlefield 4 and what else?

Oh you know just things like Battlefield 4,UE4,2-1 year old ports,No Frostbite 3 support,Next-gen(and current-gen) announcements that aren`t coming to Wii U and poor game and hardware sales.Does that answer your question?

No, it doesn't. Because you only gave me one game. The same game I already stated lol. You are crystal-balling without any real industry knowledge, while I'm going off of cold-hard FACTS that we have at hand right now.

I will reiterate once more: You CANNOT, no matter which console you buy this generation, play all of the games that are released. You will miss out on something no matter what you do. For many, even outside of this Nintendo forum, going with a PC and a Nintendo console is a pretty good option to get your hands on MOST of the games that will eventually come out.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

43. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

The loss of Battlefield 4 and what else

And every missed opportunity for third party support from release day to this holiday season.

Even newly announced games are skipping U.

You people keep spewing this garbage. "Even newly announced games are skipping U." Please tell the ACTUAL game titles and provide links to the news releases you are speaking of. I can't take you seriously if you can't show me facts. We have Battlefield 4, yes, now SHOW me the other games you are talking about.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Phatosaurus

44. Posted:

AbeVigoda wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

I guess if I was a Graphics Whore I would care a little more.

or you know a fan of having a console with support and you realize that Unreal engine is the most used middleware engine in the industry and this probably won't change on the larger scale as the next gen progresses. (cryengine hasn't gained that much ground and Unity is mainly a indie thing).

So that means less brown 'n bloom shooters on the Wii U.

I'm okay with that.

And all kinds of other third person adventure, open world and platform games, but lets pretend its only shooters we will miss out on so I can feel better about the situation.

Given that I have also have a PC/PS3, I feel fine about the situation. Asides from Mirror's Edge, I can't think of any UT3 engine games that weren't uninspired shooters.

I suppose there's also Mass Effect, but after 2 I have no interest in the series.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Maskeraid

45. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

and a title we know nothing about.

It's coming to WiiU, isn't that enough knowledge to generate hype? :P

My Maskloggery
[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

"He say oogly? What means that, oogly?"
"Grr... He means your face would frighten small children! Now be quiet!"

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9222-4787 | Nintendo Network ID: Happy_Masked_Man

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

46. Posted:

Many of the games not being released for the Wii U are last-gen games that have been in development for years, most, if not all, that are also not coming to next-gen systems like the PS4 and 720. The hardware architecture/configuration between last-gen and next-gen are quite different, to a point where a good deal of code rewriting would have to be done as a shift of where processing is being done is taking place. Only a select number of last-gen titles are making their way to next-gen systems, including the Wii U.

Edited on by Discostew

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

47. Posted:

Phatosaurus wrote:

AbeVigoda wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

I guess if I was a Graphics Whore I would care a little more.

or you know a fan of having a console with support and you realize that Unreal engine is the most used middleware engine in the industry and this probably won't change on the larger scale as the next gen progresses. (cryengine hasn't gained that much ground and Unity is mainly a indie thing).

So that means less brown 'n bloom shooters on the Wii U.

I'm okay with that.

And all kinds of other third person adventure, open world and platform games, but lets pretend its only shooters we will miss out on so I can feel better about the situation.

Given that I have also have a PC/PS3, I feel fine about the situation. Asides from Mirror's Edge, I can't think of any UT3 engine games that weren't uninspired shooters.

I suppose there's also Mass Effect, but after 2 I have no interest in the series.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Most gamers own more than just a Nintendo console, so why does everyone get so upset about an announcement like this? The Wii U won't run Unreal Engine 4? Ok, then play those games on your PC or your other console! What use is there sitting around hating on a Nintendo console? We have variety in the market for a reason.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

48. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

The loss of Battlefield 4 and what else

And every missed opportunity for third party support from release day to this holiday season.

Even newly announced games are skipping U.

You people keep spewing this garbage. "Even newly announced games are skipping U." Please tell the ACTUAL game titles and provide links to the news releases you are speaking of. I can't take you seriously if you can't show me facts. We have Battlefield 4, yes, now SHOW me the other games you are talking about.

Every third party title that came out this year. Look around you, I don't need a link to prove the obvious. Bioshock Infinite, DmC: Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Ni No Kuni, Metal Gear Rising and even Aliens Colonial Marines.

There's no third party support for U so far this year.

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

stingeragent

49. Posted:

The unreal engine powers a lot of games, so that is a lot of future games we will miss out on. And it isn't just dumb shooters. We are also missing out on the crytek and frostbite engines. I don't have multiple consoles and a super powerful dual sli'd GTX 690 computer so its a bummer for me. It's not surprising that we missed a lot of good releases cause many of those games have been in development for years, and I understand dev's not wanting to prep a wii u port last minute before a huge launch game such as bioshock infinite, tomb raider, etc. But the more "new" engines that we lose support, that also means the games that will be going into development in the future won't get wii u support either. I think nintendo tried to do a bit much with the Wii U, and thus had to cut corners in certain areas (gpu, cpu, ram). They could have made it just as powerful as the ps4, next box, but with the tablet controller and everything, it would have a ridiculous price tag like the original PS3 , and would still have poor sales.

Edited on by stingeragent

stingeragent

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PokeTune

50. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

AbeVigoda wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

I guess if I was a Graphics Whore I would care a little more.

or you know a fan of having a console with support and you realize that Unreal engine is the most used middleware engine in the industry and this probably won't change on the larger scale as the next gen progresses. (cryengine hasn't gained that much ground and Unity is mainly a indie thing).

So that means less brown 'n bloom shooters on the Wii U.

I'm okay with that.

And all kinds of other third person adventure, open world and platform games, but lets pretend its only shooters we will miss out on so I can feel better about the situation.

Given that I have also have a PC/PS3, I feel fine about the situation. Asides from Mirror's Edge, I can't think of any UT3 engine games that weren't uninspired shooters.

I suppose there's also Mass Effect, but after 2 I have no interest in the series.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Most gamers own more than just a Nintendo console, so why does everyone get so upset about an announcement like this? The Wii U won't run Unreal Engine 4? Ok, then play those games on your PC or your other console! What use is there sitting around hating on a Nintendo console? We have variety in the market for a reason.

That`s the problem right there! Saying "Just buy it somewhere else!" is doing a disservice to 3rd party devs hence why they don`t put there games on Nintendo consoles.Because the fans will complain when they don`t get the game and don`t buy it when some devs put in honest to goodness effort(Black Ops II Wii U,NSF:MW Wii U) and when devs see these comments they realize that in the end Nintendo fans don`t care regardless so why bother. I`m not hating on the console buy stating these things.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PokeTune14
Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX

"That's my catchphrase." - Spike the Dragon

Awaiting:

Monolith Soft 'X'
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Mirror's Edge 2
Destiny
Battlefield 4
Sonic Lost Worlds

Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

51. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

I guess if I was a Graphics Whore I would care a little more.

And I guess you could care less about third party support. Unreal Engine 4 is used for a lot more than ''pretty graphics''. All that promised third party support for the Wii U is fixing to be thrown out of the window for the most part.

Honestly, why do some ''Nintendo fans'' think this is good news?

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

52. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

The loss of Battlefield 4 and what else

And every missed opportunity for third party support from release day to this holiday season.

Even newly announced games are skipping U.

You people keep spewing this garbage. "Even newly announced games are skipping U." Please tell the ACTUAL game titles and provide links to the news releases you are speaking of. I can't take you seriously if you can't show me facts. We have Battlefield 4, yes, now SHOW me the other games you are talking about.

Every third party title that came out this year. Look around you, I don't need a link to prove the obvious. Bioshock Infinite, DmC: Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, Ni No Kuni, Metal Gear Rising and even Aliens Colonial Marines.

There's no third party support for U so far this year.

THANK YOU for providing a list of games. Now I tear you apart lol:

Ni No Kuni is only on the PS3 in North America, and actually has a version on the DS in Japan. Sorry.
Aliens DID actually have a Wii U version in development. Don't know if it will ever see the light of day, but after the reviews... I wouldn't buy it even if it did.
Tomb Raider was awesome. Played in on my PC. I'm a gamer. I own multiple systems.
Same thing with Bioshock.

Now, you have a real point with DmC and Metal Gear. You can't get those games on a PC, and you need to own a Microsoft or Sony console to get them. I'll give you that. But at the same time, I will ask you: Have you seen a Metal Gear game on a Nintendo console since the Gameboy Color? I'm not saying it shouldn't be on the Wii U, I'm just stating that there's been a precedent set that, in this industry built on profits and business deals, Nintendo probably has a long way to go before it can bring the franchise back to its consoles.

DmC is a big loss. I don't know if it's available on the PC, but it would have been nice to see it on the Wii U.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

stingeragent

53. Posted:

And honestly, indi/kick starter games are not the wave of the future. There has always been indi game developers. The way it works, some real talented guys make a game, or a hefty PC mod, that gets major attention. Next thing you know they are scooped up by a developer, or they start there own company. The guys that made the original team fortress classic as a free mod, yup they are with valve (or at least they were). Its an endless life cycle. Make a cool free mod, get recognized, go work for a big dev now that you have game developing cred, big company goes broke, fired people start kickstarter campaign, make game, have money, start new big company, company hires guys doing great free mods, company goes broke, rinse, repeat

Edited on by stingeragent

stingeragent

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

54. Posted:

PokeTune wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

AbeVigoda wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

I guess if I was a Graphics Whore I would care a little more.

or you know a fan of having a console with support and you realize that Unreal engine is the most used middleware engine in the industry and this probably won't change on the larger scale as the next gen progresses. (cryengine hasn't gained that much ground and Unity is mainly a indie thing).

So that means less brown 'n bloom shooters on the Wii U.

I'm okay with that.

And all kinds of other third person adventure, open world and platform games, but lets pretend its only shooters we will miss out on so I can feel better about the situation.

Given that I have also have a PC/PS3, I feel fine about the situation. Asides from Mirror's Edge, I can't think of any UT3 engine games that weren't uninspired shooters.

I suppose there's also Mass Effect, but after 2 I have no interest in the series.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Most gamers own more than just a Nintendo console, so why does everyone get so upset about an announcement like this? The Wii U won't run Unreal Engine 4? Ok, then play those games on your PC or your other console! What use is there sitting around hating on a Nintendo console? We have variety in the market for a reason.

That`s the problem right there! Saying "Just buy it somewhere else!" is doing a disservice to 3rd party devs hence why they don`t put there games on Nintendo consoles.Because the fans will complain when they don`t get the game and don`t buy it when some devs put in honest to goodness effort(Black Ops II Wii U,NSF:MW Wii U) and when devs see these comments they realize that in the end Nintendo fans don`t care regardless so why bother. I`m not hating on the console buy stating these things.

What? 3rd-party PUBLISHERS (not devs... the devs make the games, the publisher decides what systems they want the devs to make it for. The publisher PAYS the devs. Please get these things straight or, again, it's hard for me to take you seriously) specifically make their games for multiple consoles because that's what they do. They don't affiliate themselves with one console so that they can distribute their games to as many as possible. I don't even understand what you're trying to say? Are you trying to state that 3rd-party publishers like EA don't like putting games on Ninty consoles because they assume we'll just buy the game on another system?

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Phatosaurus

55. Posted:

[quote=rallydefault][quote=Chrono_Cross][quote]

rallydefault wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

The loss of Battlefield 4 and what else

Now, you have a real point with DmC and Metal Gear. You can't get those games on a PC, and you need to own a Microsoft or Sony console to get them. I'll give you that. But at the same time, I will ask you: Have you seen a Metal Gear game on a Nintendo console since the Gameboy Color? I'm not saying it shouldn't be on the Wii U, I'm just stating that there's been a precedent set that, in this industry built on profits and business deals, Nintendo probably has a long way to go before it can bring the franchise back to its consoles.

DmC is a big loss. I don't know if it's available on the PC, but it would have been nice to see it on the Wii U.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC)
Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater (3DS)

MGR isn't the only "loss" for the Wii U, in my opinion.
The slice mechanics would have worked great with the touch screen. Hopefully Platinum Games can port it over.

As for DmC, it's available on Steam. It was also an awful game.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MrWalkieTalkie

56. Posted:

I'm no technology expert or anything so I guess I'll just ask: Is it possible for Wii U to get UE4 Support?

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

Chibi-Robo, Dillon, Mallo, Wonder-Red, and Duck Hunt Dog for Smash!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

57. Posted:

Third party games are sparse because of the low install base and poor sales numbers. Call of Duty: Black Ops II is a good example.

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PokeTune

58. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

PokeTune wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

AbeVigoda wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

Ryno wrote:

I guess if I was a Graphics Whore I would care a little more.

or you know a fan of having a console with support and you realize that Unreal engine is the most used middleware engine in the industry and this probably won't change on the larger scale as the next gen progresses. (cryengine hasn't gained that much ground and Unity is mainly a indie thing).

So that means less brown 'n bloom shooters on the Wii U.

I'm okay with that.

And all kinds of other third person adventure, open world and platform games, but lets pretend its only shooters we will miss out on so I can feel better about the situation.

Given that I have also have a PC/PS3, I feel fine about the situation. Asides from Mirror's Edge, I can't think of any UT3 engine games that weren't uninspired shooters.

I suppose there's also Mass Effect, but after 2 I have no interest in the series.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Most gamers own more than just a Nintendo console, so why does everyone get so upset about an announcement like this? The Wii U won't run Unreal Engine 4? Ok, then play those games on your PC or your other console! What use is there sitting around hating on a Nintendo console? We have variety in the market for a reason.

That`s the problem right there! Saying "Just buy it somewhere else!" is doing a disservice to 3rd party devs hence why they don`t put there games on Nintendo consoles.Because the fans will complain when they don`t get the game and don`t buy it when some devs put in honest to goodness effort(Black Ops II Wii U,NSF:MW Wii U) and when devs see these comments they realize that in the end Nintendo fans don`t care regardless so why bother. I`m not hating on the console buy stating these things.

What? 3rd-party PUBLISHERS (not devs... the devs make the games, the publisher decides what systems they want the devs to make it for. The publisher PAYS the devs. Please get these things straight or, again, it's hard for me to take you seriously) specifically make their games for multiple consoles because that's what they do. They don't affiliate themselves with one console so that they can distribute their games to as many as possible. I don't even understand what you're trying to say? Are you trying to state that 3rd-party publishers like EA don't like putting games on Ninty consoles because they assume we'll just buy the game on another system?

Whoops!Sorry I meant publishers(my bad)thanks for pointing that out. But anyway what I`m trying to say is that publishers know most Nintendo fans don`t buy 3rd party games(sales prove this) so they see no point in porting the game over and when we get people saying "buy it elsewhere" that doesn`t exactly paint a good perception of Nintendo fans.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PokeTune14
Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX

"That's my catchphrase." - Spike the Dragon

Awaiting:

Monolith Soft 'X'
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Mirror's Edge 2
Destiny
Battlefield 4
Sonic Lost Worlds

Nintendo Network ID: DarkGamerX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordJumpMad

59. Posted:

I would have loved to see the next Zelda game with Unreal Engine, it would given it the shine it needs.
I'm tired of Nintendo cutting corners on their graphics, I'm starting to hate all these sel-shade games, and Nintendo calling it, next gen graphics.

Edited on by LordJumpMad

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

60. Posted:

@PokeTune
Ok, I see what you are saying. Maybe you are correct, but I don't think there's really any way to tell if that is the actual sentiment. This is an industry, and industry is motivated by money. Currently, there's not much money to be had on the Wii U. Porting your game to the system takes time and money, and after that is finished, the install base isn't as large as the other two companies.

@Phatosaurus
Sorry, forgot about the Metal Gear 3DS game. But that makes the idea of a Metal Gear game on the Wii U more tantalizing.

rallydefault