Forums

Topic: The Wii U vs. current interests of the console market

Posts 121 to 138 of 138

SCRAPPER392

CanisWolfred wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Type-0 HD is not a $60 game.

Why? Because you can buy a copy on a dead system in a language you don't understand for $40?

Also, not in HD and surround sound. There's a lot of factors for why ports are still going to be worth something. Monster Hunter 4 is an entirely new game for 3DS, which makes it more immediately valuable than Monster Hunter 3. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was probably a port from PS3 to begin with, which was a port from PSP, etc. The game was still worth $60 on Wii U, even though it had already been around in multiple forms, before, which is the same case here, except that Monster Hunter went from PS to Nintendo, and now FF is going from PS only, to both PS and Xbox.

They could port Monster Hunter 4 to Wii U, PS4 or Xbox One, if they really wanted to, and it would still be worth $60, because of multiple reasons, including the possibility that part of the market wasn't playing on 3DS. I do not think that is the case, though, because Monster Hunter 4 is on 3DS to begin with, reason being lack of market on PSP.

EDIT: Long story short; consoles have benefits over portables that cost more, this was a Japan only game, and it's more expensive to begin with as second hand.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

I said 'worth' I didn't say it was financially viable to charge that. The Last of Us and Skyrim are both worth well over $100 for the same reason.

The flaw in that reasoning is that games are "worth" something else to different people. Skyrim was near worthless to me because I found it mind-numbingly boring, even with mods.

It's a terrible business model to try and enact, hiring people to sit down and discuss what a game is "worth," and then exploiting or alienating fans with the decision. It's a waste of resources and none of the consumers are going to agree anyway. Nintendo was going to charge different prices for VC games depending on their "worth," but quickly realized how dumb that was and just made them $5 for NES games, $8 for SNES, etc.

Why are you trying to make definitive statements after stating the subjectivity of worth. That's real dumb. If you don't think 0 is worth $60 then don't buy it, but don't claim 'it's not a $60 game' because of low texture quality.

And I'm certain you're not playing Skyrim right. Moreso than action RPGs, Elder Scrolls games are exercises in immersion, exploration, and fantasy cultural anthropology. Calling it boring because of the combat isn't spectacular is like criticizing The Last of Us for not being open world; that's not where the main worth of the thing is.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

Between exchange rate fluctuations, steam sales, game price crashes and the "Australia tax" I don't even know what games cost anymore. I grabbed Tomb Raider late last year and all those factors conspired to drop the price to ~$5.50AU. However if I wanted to get Evolve the reverse is true and instead I'd be paying ~$102AU. Those are two extremes but even so, I know which one I think is "worth" more and it's not the one with the higher pricetag. A price I haven't seen any standard edition games reach for a good ten years or so when game prices here were out of control......

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Between exchange rate fluctuations, steam sales, game price crashes and the "Australia tax" I don't even know what games cost anymore. I grabbed Tomb Raider late last year and all those factors conspired to drop the price to ~$5.50AU. However if I wanted to get Evolve the reverse is true and instead I'd be paying ~$102AU. Those are two extremes but even so, I know which one I think is "worth" more and it's not the one with the higher pricetag. A price I haven't seen any standard edition games reach for a good ten years or so when game prices here were out of control......

I mean launch price. None of us knowing Type 0's quality, assuming it's at least decently good I think it's justified being $60 at launch.

skywake

@Haru17
I was talking about prices in general, I have no idea what games are supposed to be worth anymore. In regards to launch prices they've settled down to around ~$70AU at retail which I'm ok with. The problem is that here there's not just the price at retail, which is fairly consistent, but also the price on Steam. Steam's store is all in USD and there is no consistency between how different publishers charge Australians in USD.

Some guys pretend that AUD = USD and then set the price on Steam in USD to the same as the RRP is here in AUD. Which is what happened with Evolve ($80AU in the shops, $80US/$100AU on Steam). You could understand that even if you didn't agree with it when the AUD was at parity but it makes much less sense now. Others treat it like an "import minus shipping" and charge us the same amount that people in the US are charged (i.e. $60US/$77AU), which is fair given that it is quite literally an import minus shipping. Even more fair when you realise it works out to be about the same as retail anyways. So yeah, between that and the rapid drop in price post-release? It's confusing

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

And I'm certain you're not playing Skyrim right.

Yes, I'm aware of how important and award-winning your opinions are. Even with that in mind, the persisting thought that maybe I wasn't able to have thoughts and tastes independent of others and that maybe some day someone on the internet with cooler opinions than me would tell me I was wrong, I still found Skyrim boring.

CanisWolfred wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Why? Because you can buy a copy on a dead system in a language you don't understand for $40?

We all know people will buy it at that price. And quite frankly, they should. It's not every day Square-Enix releases something worthwhile.

Yes, that's exactly my problem with it. I'm struggling to find a better way to express myself here. Charging people more "because you can" is not an industry practice that I want to see become standard.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SCRAPPER392

So ya, again, Wii U has games you won't be able to get on Xbox One or PS4. If games like Xenoblade, Devil's Third, Bayonetta 2, Starfox, etc. were on PS4 or Xbox One, people would buy them, so the only real barrier is actually owning the console, instead of saying Nintendo is "kiddie" or some other rant that is probably subjective or may not be true, like Nintendo going bankrupt. That's already like $240 worth of games, which is very easy for everyone to afford **sarcasm**, and that's not even counting Smash Bros. or any other game.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

And I'm certain you're not playing Skyrim right.

Yes, I'm aware of how important and award-winning your opinions are. Even with that in mind, the persisting thought that maybe I wasn't able to have thoughts and tastes independent of others and that maybe some day someone on the internet with cooler opinions than me would tell me I was wrong, I still found Skyrim boring.

I didn't say your opinion was 'wrong;' subjectives can't be wrong, only unpopular. I just said that your approaching that game the wrong way and tried to tell you how myself and others appreciate that game. There are just different styles of play that fit different kinds of games. You don't play Dark Souls like a casual phone game just like you don't play Skyrim like Dark Souls.

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

I didn't say your opinion was 'wrong;' subjectives can't be wrong, only unpopular. I just said that your approaching that game the wrong way and tried to tell you how myself and others appreciate that game. There are just different styles of play that fit different kinds of games. You don't play Dark Souls like a casual phone game just like you don't play Skyrim like Dark Souls.

Ok... I'm going to choose my words carefully, because I don't want to sound like I'm attacking you.

When someone tells you that they didn't enjoy something and your first reaction is to condescendingly tell them that they're doing it wrong, and then attempt to "educate" them on how to properly enjoy it, you come across as a... well, some 4-letter words that aren't used in polite society. It's not a thought process constructive to any sort of discussion, especially when expressed with such abrasiveness. If this is something you regularly do to people in your life, please stop. Nobody likes it.

I think everyone is tired of scrolling past our squibbles, so for the sake of the cleanliness of these forums, I suggest we both try to think a little more before hitting the post reply button. We don't seem to be able to talk about anything without butting heads, and of course I share an equal part in that. I know I can often be argumentative and confrontational, which is also destructive to discussion. I'll actively work on fixing that. I apologize for any offense given.

I didn't enjoy Skyrim because I didn't feel any "pull." There was no point in my time with the game that I felt compelled to advance, either with my character or the story. It was like playing D&D with no DM. I understand the game and why a lot of people enjoyed it, but it's not for me. There's no way for me to approach that game that I would enjoy for any extended length of time.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

NinjaWaddleDee

CaviarMeths wrote:

Cost brackets work too.

On Xenoblade Chronicles X and Legend of Zelda: "That's a $60 game."
On Mario Maker and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse: "That's a $40 game."
On Child of Light and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse: "That's a $20 game."

But even then, you have stuff like Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, a remaster of a 5 year old PSP game selling for full retail AAA price. And they'll get away with it too, because it comes with a demo for Final Fantasy XV.

I was going to get Final Fantasy Type-0, but now I think I'll wait a year for it to go down to like 30 bucks. I don't buy games for 60 unless they REALLY catch my eye.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

NinjaWaddleDee

SCAR392 wrote:

I didn't even really want to buy MGS: Ground Zeroes for $15. It's ALMOST a demo, and should be $10, at most. There weren't that many games on Xbox One or PS4, when it came out, too, so people were willing to buy much of anything, but that's how console launches generally go. I did the same thing on Wii U. I just bought anything I could, because it's a new console.

I think game releases are starting to slow down, now. Starfox is another game Xbox and PS gamers probably have at least some interest in, just as anyone who gamed on N64 probably has SOME interest for games like Banjo Kazooie and Killer Instinct, even though they aren't on Nintendo anymore. The exclusives are where most of the new stuff is happening, because otherwise the games are multiplatform and/or cross-generation. I would buy a new Banjo over CoD, anyday, just as I would buy Killzone over CoD, even though I don't have a PS4.

I know this is unrelated, but Killzone is actually a very good game. I wish people would recognize it's multiplayer a little more, but alas.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

SCRAPPER392

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I didn't even really want to buy MGS: Ground Zeroes for $15. It's ALMOST a demo, and should be $10, at most. There weren't that many games on Xbox One or PS4, when it came out, too, so people were willing to buy much of anything, but that's how console launches generally go. I did the same thing on Wii U. I just bought anything I could, because it's a new console.

I think game releases are starting to slow down, now. Starfox is another game Xbox and PS gamers probably have at least some interest in, just as anyone who gamed on N64 probably has SOME interest for games like Banjo Kazooie and Killer Instinct, even though they aren't on Nintendo anymore. The exclusives are where most of the new stuff is happening, because otherwise the games are multiplatform and/or cross-generation. I would buy a new Banjo over CoD, anyday, just as I would buy Killzone over CoD, even though I don't have a PS4.

I know this is unrelated, but Killzone is actually a very good game. I wish people would recognize it's multiplayer a little more, but alas.

That's why I said it. I had Killzone 2 and 3 on PS3 and thought they were actually pretty good games, with Killzone 2 being a bit better, IMO. Killzone 3 did some cool stuff that 2 didn't have, but I feel like they didn't keep the mood of the 2nd one as well. The graphics were smoother in 2, although there was technically more texturing in 3.

IMO, exclusives should be at the top of everyone's list, simply because they are going to be different than multiplatform games by default. CoD should be like a $40 game, because $30 season passes for maps that probably could/should have been in the game to begin with are going to shoot the price up to $90, otherwise. CoD Ghosts isn't even a complete game, without the DLC, and it never got released on Wii U. It still would have been overpriced, with the DLC, so I'm just not even going to support that, especially on a yearly basis. They did a better job with Black Ops II, though, in terms of value for money, but the issue of overcharging and questionable quality IS there. That's besides that there are already a handful of FPS games.

Qwest

rallydefault

SCAR392 wrote:

So ya, again, Wii U has games you won't be able to get on Xbox One or PS4. If games like Xenoblade, Devil's Third, Bayonetta 2, Starfox, etc. were on PS4 or Xbox One, people would buy them, so the only real barrier is actually owning the console, instead of saying Nintendo is "kiddie" or some other rant that is probably subjective or may not be true, like Nintendo going bankrupt. That's already like $240 worth of games, which is very easy for everyone to afford **sarcasm**, and that's not even counting Smash Bros. or any other game.

Wow, that's one of the most objectively true statements I've ever read on the internet, and it seems like it's taken us so long to get to this point: If the PS4/Xbox were putting out games like Mario Kart and Smash, people WOULD be buying them. And loving them. And praising them.

It really is just the console that is putting up this barrier, and this fashioned belief that Nintendo is no longer cool is perpetuated primarily by people that don't own the consoles. It's like everyone always joking that a certain place is absolutely terrible and horrible, but they've never actually been there. And the ball just keeps rolling because those people tend to have very loud mouths.

rallydefault

GrailUK

The following is just a theory.

You want Fifa 15? Then I could argue you don't like video games, you like football.
You want Project Cars? Then I could argue you don't like video games, you like cars.
You want Call of Duty? Then I could argue you don't like video games, you like macho b*l*s*I*.

I cannot argue they aren't video games. But AAA titles spend far too much time trying to be realistic and as such, it isn't video games a person likes but the material the video game is portraying. They are more simulation than video game, and as a result appeal to the majority of people who don't like video games (for whatever reason.)

Possibly. May need some more thinking heh heh.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

SCRAPPER392

GrailUK wrote:

You want Fifa 15? Then I could argue you don't like video games, you like football.
You want Project Cars? Then I could argue you don't like video games, you like cars.
You want Call of Duty? Then I could argue you don't like video games, you like macho b*l*s*I*.

I cannot argue they aren't video games. But AAA titles spend far too much time trying to be realistic and as such, it isn't video games a person likes but the material the video game is portraying. They are more simulation than video game, and as a result appeal to the majority of people who don't like video games (for whatever reason.)

That is true, but at some point, simulator games actually do matter, because if it's realistic enough, you can pay the price of a console and a $60 game to do something accurately, that you would probably never be able to do otherwise. I don't have money to buy a car that would be in Project Cars, or even something like Forza, but I can afford a game console and the sim game with those cars in it.

Qwest

SCRAPPER392

rallydefault wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Wow, that's one of the most objectively true statements I've ever read on the internet, and it seems like it's taken us so long to get to this point: If the PS4/Xbox were putting out games like Mario Kart and Smash, people WOULD be buying them. And loving them. And praising them.

It really is just the console that is putting up this barrier, and this fashioned belief that Nintendo is no longer cool is perpetuated primarily by people that don't own the consoles. It's like everyone always joking that a certain place is absolutely terrible and horrible, but they've never actually been there. And the ball just keeps rolling because those people tend to have very loud mouths.

People are just looking for reasons to refuse buying Wii U, but some of the reasons apply to Xbox or PS. That's why there have to be other reasons that actually matter, like what games the consoles have or possibly caring about second screen stuff.

Qwest

CanisWolfred

CaviarMeths wrote:

Yes, that's exactly my problem with it. I'm struggling to find a better way to express myself here. Charging people more "because you can" is not an industry practice that I want to see become standard.

Supply and demand, dude. If you don't like it, don't buy it at that price. No skin off your bones...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

martinskrtel37

GrailUK wrote:

yes. most of the bad stuff that the other companies put out are not video games, they are simulations. they're not even designed to be fun. they've created a whole bunch of simpletons who think they're gamers but really just love violence and escaping from their own reality. video games should be about precise button hits and mastering your movement and solving problems and that good stuff that is good for your mind - not simulating world war 2 and what it's like to blow a nazi's head off :

Edited on by Eel

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.