Wii U Forum

Topic: The Wii U doesn't have an optical audio port, what's it used for anyway?

Showing 21 to 40 of 41

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MattEriks

21. Posted:

@BJQ1972

soo are you saying the future wii u games wont have dolby pro logic?

3DS FC: 4854 - 6530 - 1097 (MattEriks)
Why does the good guys win in games?
Because we have Potions
note to self Don't let the evil ones get any potions

AuthorMessage
Avatar

teus

22. Posted:

MattEriks wrote:

optical port is a 100% clean audio port and is really expensive to make in audio/video equipment. and itsts also 100% distortion free.

yea but with hdmi being the norm it really isnt necessary

NintendoID: Lazymutant

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BJQ1972

23. Posted:

MattEriks wrote:

@BJQ1972

soo are you saying the future wii u games wont have dolby pro logic?

Wii U games will have multi channel HD audio, which is superior to Pro Logic.

However, people with older amps that don't support HD audio will be able to connect the Wii U via the analog audio out, and still use Pro Logic.

BJQ1972

Nintendo Network ID: BJQ1972

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MattEriks

24. Posted:

BJQ1972 wrote:

MattEriks wrote:

@BJQ1972

soo are you saying the future wii u games wont have dolby pro logic?

Wii U games will have multi channel HD audio, which is superior to Pro Logic.

However, people with older amps that don't support HD audio will be able to connect the Wii U via the analog audio out, and still use Pro Logic.

i havent really had any reasons to upgrade my Sony Dolby reciever

3DS FC: 4854 - 6530 - 1097 (MattEriks)
Why does the good guys win in games?
Because we have Potions
note to self Don't let the evil ones get any potions

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BJQ1972

25. Posted:

MattEriks wrote:

i havent really had any reasons to upgrade my Sony Dolby reciever

You don't need to - your amp is compatible with HDMI audio and so you will get the benefit of the improved audio of the Wii U.

BJQ1972

Nintendo Network ID: BJQ1972

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MattEriks

26. Posted:

BJQ1972 wrote:

MattEriks wrote:

i havent really had any reasons to upgrade my Sony Dolby reciever

You don't need to - your amp is compatible with HDMI audio and so you will get the benefit of the improved audio of the Wii U.

no i dont have a reciever copatible with hdmi. i only recomended one. do you think dolby on wii u games will be as good as they are on wii games?

Edited on by MattEriks

3DS FC: 4854 - 6530 - 1097 (MattEriks)
Why does the good guys win in games?
Because we have Potions
note to self Don't let the evil ones get any potions

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BJQ1972

27. Posted:

MattEriks wrote:

BJQ1972 wrote:

MattEriks wrote:

i havent really had any reasons to upgrade my Sony Dolby reciever

You don't need to - your amp is compatible with HDMI audio and so you will get the benefit of the improved audio of the Wii U.

no i dont have a reciever copatible with hdmi. i only recomended one. do you think dolby on wii u games will be as good as they are on wii games?

I see. In that case the audio will be very similar to what you have at the moment.

BJQ1972

Nintendo Network ID: BJQ1972

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MattEriks

28. Posted:

BJQ1972 wrote:

MattEriks wrote:

BJQ1972 wrote:

MattEriks wrote:

i havent really had any reasons to upgrade my Sony Dolby reciever

You don't need to - your amp is compatible with HDMI audio and so you will get the benefit of the improved audio of the Wii U.

no i dont have a reciever copatible with hdmi. i only recomended one. do you think dolby on wii u games will be as good as they are on wii games?

I see. In that case the audio will be very similar to what you have at the moment.

then im fine. and im gonna use my nintendo original wii component cable

Edited on by MattEriks

3DS FC: 4854 - 6530 - 1097 (MattEriks)
Why does the good guys win in games?
Because we have Potions
note to self Don't let the evil ones get any potions

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Treverend

29. Posted:

@MattEriks Sure, add me, I'll add you in a bit also. :D

Can someone make me a cheap diagram like in MS paint showing what you are all saying? I think I can better understand with a picture... if I use HDMI on my Wii U what will go to where and how will I wire it all?

Proud black Wii U owner. :)
Favorite game series: The Legend of Zelda

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4692-4399 | Nintendo Network ID: Treverend

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Treverend

30. Posted:

Do I just need 2 HDMI cables? One from the Wii U to the TV, then the 2nd from the TV to the receiver? Then all the speakers just plug into the receiver? What's the best the Wii U can do, 5.1?

Edited on by Treverend

Proud black Wii U owner. :)
Favorite game series: The Legend of Zelda

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4692-4399 | Nintendo Network ID: Treverend

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LolWut

31. Posted:

Treverend wrote:

Do I just need 2 HDMI cables? One from the Wii U to the TV, then the 2nd from the TV to the receiver? Then all the speakers just plug into the receiver? What's the best the Wii U can do, 5.1?

I second this question

Do I even play?
What's a "gamer" anyway? POKÉMON!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MattEriks

32. Posted:

how do you add a pic into tread

3DS FC: 4854 - 6530 - 1097 (MattEriks)
Why does the good guys win in games?
Because we have Potions
note to self Don't let the evil ones get any potions

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LolWut

33. Posted:

MattEriks wrote:

how do you add a pic into tread

Copy the URL that the image is in, and paste it between these two tags [img]
[/img]

Edited on by LolWut

Do I even play?
What's a "gamer" anyway? POKÉMON!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BJQ1972

34. Posted:

Treverend wrote:

Do I just need 2 HDMI cables? One from the Wii U to the TV, then the 2nd from the TV to the receiver? Then all the speakers just plug into the receiver? What's the best the Wii U can do, 5.1?

Yes. You would connect an HDMI cable from the WiiU to an input on the receiver. Then you would connect the HDMI OUT from the receiver to the TV with another HDMI cable.

The speakers and subwoofer also connect to the receiver.

The WiiU outputs 5.1.

This guide explains how to set up a home theater system:-

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-essentials-of-conne...

Edited on by BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Nintendo Network ID: BJQ1972

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shinesprite

35. Posted:

Treverend wrote:

Do I just need 2 HDMI cables? One from the Wii U to the TV, then the 2nd from the TV to the receiver? Then all the speakers just plug into the receiver? What's the best the Wii U can do, 5.1?

I asked myself a similar question a few weeks ago. As it turns out, most modern digital TV's are designed to divert the HDMI audio channel through a direct toslink (cleaner signal) or SPDIF Coaxial (older) line out (which then connects to your sound system). (Typically) The most processing your TV does is converting the electrical (HDMI) signal, pulse-for-pulse into an optical signal.

If you plan on buying a new sound system, I would suggest getting one with toslink and Dolby Digital support (though you can get converters). In the case of my setup, my sound system (sadly) does not support the Dolby Digital codecs, and therefore I have to revert to RCA via my TV's headphone jack in order to hear Digital over-the-air stations.

Hope I could be of help. ;)

Currently Playing Mario Kart 8, SSB 3DS

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sprungli

36. Posted:

Just to help clarify the various audio formats and connection types:
RCA cables (the red and white ones) - those can transmit stereo audio and pro logic (pro logic is sort of a 'fake' surround sound format).
Optical - can transmit stereo, Dolby Digital (5.1 surround) and DTS (5.1 surround).
HDMI - can transmit stereo, Dolby Digital (5.1 surround), DTS (5.1 surround) and LPCM 5.1/7.1 surround (and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD)
I'm sure Optical and HDMI can do pro logic too, but I could be wrong on that. But as someone else mentioned, it's an outdated format.

Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed formats (like how an mp3 is compressed). So it's lossy/noisy.

LPCM 5.1/7.1 is not compressed (it's just wav audio). If your receiver can take a 5.1/7.1 LPCM HDMI audio signal and send that to your speakers, then there's nothing better than that. Some receivers will show what format is being sent to it, so if you see 'PCM' displayed, then it means you're getting an uncompressed audio signal (aka LPCM). PCM is more or less a synonym for the .wav audio format.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are just lossless compression formats for 5.1/7.1. If your receiver can handle LPCM, then there's really no benefit to these formats. I'm not sure why they were created, but I suspect it might have to do with movie studios wanting to squeeze more stuff onto Bluray discs.

As more people get receivers that can do LCPM 5.1/7.1, the need for the Dolby and DTS formats is likely to decrease for games. Those formats exist because we needed a way to squeeze more audio through a cable that has limited capacity. I suppose if people start buying home theaters with more than 7.1 channels, then we might see an increased need for Dolby/DTS compression. But I can't see many people going higher than 7.1 channels any time soon.

sprungli

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BJQ1972

37. Posted:

@sprungli - excellent summary. It is odd about DTS and Dolby HD formats - although they are essentially identical to PCM it is amusing how many people you see saying one is better than the other. Any differences are generally due to AV receiver settings.

BJQ1972

Nintendo Network ID: BJQ1972

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Treverend

38. Posted:

So pretty much HDMI is better than optical?

Proud black Wii U owner. :)
Favorite game series: The Legend of Zelda

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4692-4399 | Nintendo Network ID: Treverend

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BJQ1972

39. Posted:

Treverend wrote:

So pretty much HDMI is better than optical?

Yes, that's right.

Edited on by BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Nintendo Network ID: BJQ1972

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MattEriks

40. Posted:

@Treverend

you still havent adeed me

3DS FC: 4854 - 6530 - 1097 (MattEriks)
Why does the good guys win in games?
Because we have Potions
note to self Don't let the evil ones get any potions