Forums

Topic: Pokken Tournament - OT

Posts 181 to 200 of 488

Blast

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I've been rewatching the gameplay so much! @_@ I'm so damn excited for this game!! I was expecting a 3D fighter like Tekken but this has blown me away. It's more like the DBZ/Naruto games, but from the footage it looks to retain some of the technicalness of Tekken. From what I've played of the Naruto games and DBZ games, they're not really optimal for comboing and mostly button mash, but just going of the gameplay we have now I can see technical play being rewarded in the future and still being accessible to button mashers.

This is so amazing! I was very interested in how Harasa was going to accomplish it when he said he wanted to appeal to fighting gamers with depth to the mechanics but still be accessible to the younger Pokemon fans and others not well versed in fighting games. He pulled it off. I'm beyond impressed. Rather than the DBZ/Naruto comparison I made it earlier, this game is probably going to be more comparable to Power Stone.

Man, I'm super hyped for it, too. Do you think there'll be a story? I think there will be.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

shingi_70

MetalK9 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Frankley the game looks nothing like Tekken at all.

Nor Pokemon. All I see now is DBZ X Naruto. And those games aren't competitive (Even though they had a Guard button, it didn't block everything). With that, I doubt it would do well on arcades. Especially the fact that they ditched the arcade joystick and button interface for a 6 button d-pad controller. And you can't grab or Guard Break.... Apart from movement, those are big in FG's. Especially now that High/Low system is taken out, to prevent frustration of learning every characters moveset. I know. But how do you expect to open someone up out of block. Which then you slip up, they get out of block, combo/special move you, then go to blocking again for time up. All well. I just can't believe Pikachu just got bigger.

You didn't see my above post. The game isn't competitve in the least and probably won't find much traction in FGC even if nintendo/Namco wants it too. I just looked up the control scheme and it does indeed look limited.

D - dpad - Movement
A - Pokemon attack
B - Jump
X - Weak attack
Y - Strong Attack
L - is support
R - Guard
Dpad + X/Y/A gives you different movs similar to smash.

It seems is can be compemetitive in its own right similar to smash Brothers. I'm looking at the montage on Max dude's youtube page and there seems to be a guard break at around the 20 second mark. As far as no High Low that seems to have been mapped too D-pad + button input. The gameplay seems to be going for somewhere inbetween smash brothers, Cyberconnect Naruto, and Tekken. The close up gameplay is far more like a tradtional fighter while the far away gameplay doesn't look so hot to me.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

KO-Cub

(No I didn't see your post. The time I submited, you posted something more)
Smash Bros.? I dunno. They had rolls which went to invulnerable frames and Guarding would go into Guard Breaking or just a grab to get around it completely. Even Naruto with Guard breaking or Guard Smash. While Tekken was just about idle auto-block and crouch auto-block, grab or unblockable moves. They have a way to get around them. Here... Don't see alot to do in 20 secs. Even X + Y = Grab would be fair. Or do what DBZ did and have Charge attacks that go through Guards.
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 had a Attack + Input as well. Combo's that end instantly with 2 hits or Combo's to pop up into juggle into combo into Special Move. The thing that ruined it was teleporting tho. But the fight mech was solid. Not competitive compared to Tekken and Smash, but it works.
DBZ/Naruto/Tekken = Bandai. Pokemon and a bit of Smash are made = Nintendo. I see how it blends.

Wavedashes behind you Got some of dat Maylay?
FE Heroes: 0964602082

3DS Friend Code: 5343-9126-6120 | Nintendo Network ID: KOCub

MsJubilee

I'm amazed by people actually thinking this game could'ave been competitive,just by looking at it it's going to be for fun casual play.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

KO-Cub

But it could have. Tekken X Pokemon? No? Two competitive games? The Dev saying it's going to be competitive? It could have, but after the gameplay vids we got this. Which is more fun lean. It could be competitive, but we're saying things about it that kinda drop the bar.

Retro_on_theGo

I think it could still be played competitive if there's a passionate community for it.

Harada said he wants it to be, and we're still far off from release. There's plenty of changes that can be made until then.

There's guardbreaks I'm pretty sure. I know I saw one, and it looks like the shield works like Smash if I'm not wrong. Holding it too long makes it automatically break.

It can become a very interesting mind game of punishing your opponent into the traditional 2D camera and following up with combos or even juggling. These gameplay videos were just people messing around and we can see Pikachu get some mix-ups. Imagine when people get into the game and have learned a character very well. I don't want to push for it to be competitive if there's no hope because this is the Pokemon game I've wanted since I was little so I'll enjoy it regardless, but it does look like there's hope. It seems to have more potential than people are giving it.

Control options look limited, but Smash Bros. are even more limited. And even more limited movement options in Smash 4 and its gotten over 800 entrants at Apex and I'd expect no less at EVO.

We've seen arena fighters like these done in those anime tie in games and not work out well for competitive, but that doesn't mean its impossible to make it work. If I trust any guy to make it possible, its be Harada. Its just a wait and see type thing right now. 4 months ago we thought it'd just be Tekken reskinned, who knows what else arises.

MsJubilee

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I think it could still be played competitive if there's a passionate community for it.

Harada said he wants it to be, and we're still far off from release. There's plenty of changes that can be made until then.

There's guardbreaks I'm pretty sure. I know I saw one, and it looks like the shield works like Smash if I'm not wrong. Holding it too long makes it automatically break.

It can become a very interesting mind game of punishing your opponent into the traditional 2D camera and following up with combos or even juggling. These gameplay videos were just people messing around and we can see Pikachu get some mix-ups. Imagine when people get into the game and have learned a character very well. I don't want to push for it to be competitive if there's no hope because this is the Pokemon game I've wanted since I was little so I'll enjoy it regardless, but it does look like there's hope. It seems to have more potential than people are giving it.

Control options look limited, but Smash Bros. are even more limited. And even more limited movement options in Smash 4 and its gotten over 800 entrants at Apex and I'd expect no less at EVO.

We've seen arena fighters like these done in those anime tie in games and not work out well for competitive, but that doesn't mean its impossible to make it work. If I trust any guy to make it possible, its be Harada. Its just a wait and see type thing right now. 4 months ago we thought it'd just be Tekken reskinned, who knows what else arises.

This comment

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

PrincessSugoi

All I need is Greninja confirmed and I'm good to go on this game.

I'm pretty excited to see the stages myself. I'd love to see Luminous City and Lavender Town used.

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

cookiex

Location tests reveal Lugia appearance and different costumes/colors for the fighters

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

MsJubilee

All i'm saying about the costumes thing,is Pikachu better have his luchador outfit from alpha sapphire and omega ruby!

Blast

midnafanboy wrote:

All i'm saying about the costumes thing,is Pikachu better have his luchador outfit from alpha sapphire and omega ruby!

Yeah... If Sakurai was developing it. I'm not expecting that costume at all.

Master of the Hype Train

shingi_70

Blast wrote:

midnafanboy wrote:

Yeah... If Sakurai was developing it. I'm not expecting that costume at all.

Have you ever played a tekken game before. Its the king of alternate costumes and colors.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

KO-Cub

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

We've seen arena fighters like these done in those anime tie in games and not work out well for competitive, but that doesn't mean its impossible to make it work.

I don't think you can really compare Pokken to Smash and say it's more limited since Smash is a 2-D Fighter meant for fun in the first place when this game is said to be "competitive" by the Producer and being involved in a 3-D field. Even still, Smash is capable of any other thing a fighter has; Juggling, combo's, grabs, special moves, etc compared to what we can do here.
There's heaps of other games with the same game style that took skill but wasn't meant to be competitive while giving a game style that worked well. That's where I think this game is going. If this game goes competitive. Then most of the DBZ games or even Budokai 3 would be like a god to everyone. Even though Budokai 3 was kinda broken due to the power differences between characters, it still worked and took skill. The only way this game could be broken if type advantages doing more than it should in a fighting game like this. I heard an interviewer say something on type advantages but they got no comment.

Retro_on_theGo

http://www.serebii.net/pokken/pokemon.shtml

So the official site updated according to Serebii with info on a few of the Pokemon's special attacks. So controls have the same fundamental idea as Smash, but it doesn't look like knowing Direction + A or B = an attack will apply to every single character like it does in Smash Bros. Some require different inputs to perform their own attack. Pretty cool, makes excited to see just how far the button commands actually go. I think it's going to allow more freedom than expected right now. Nothing massive but better than anticipated.

KO-Cub

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

So the official site updated according to Serebii with info on a few of the Pokemon's special attacks. So controls have the same fundamental idea as Smash, but it doesn't look like knowing Direction + A or B = an attack will apply to every single character like it does in Smash Bros. Some require different inputs to perform their own attack. Pretty cool, makes excited to see just how far the button commands actually go. I think it's going to allow more freedom than expected right now. Nothing massive but better than anticipated.

Gardevoir has 5 Pokemon moves?
Still not changing it. This isn't anything to do Smash Bros.

Retro_on_theGo

MetalK9 wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Gardevoir has 5 Pokemon moves?
Still not changing it. This isn't anything to do Smash Bros.

Pokken is definitely shaping up to be its own thing. Smash is just the easiest comparison. In terms of tournaments I think it's best to wait to be able to play it/see more footage for both sides of the argument.

Stages are looking cool so far! Loving the underwater one. Hope we get some more crazy alternate costume than revealed so far.

Blast

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Some kind of update on the game.http://www.famitsu.com/news/201502/13071573.html
I translated the page and it keeps saying "pop Pokken Tournament run time is sumer 2015."
Da heck does that mean? Is that a summer release date?! O.O

Either way Harada in the Pikachu suit is hilarious.

Summer 2015 for Japanese arcades and May 2016 for Wii U, in my guess.

Master of the Hype Train

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.