Wii U Forum

Topic: The next Mario 3D platformer...

Showing 61 to 80 of 170

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

61. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Emaan wrote:

CactusJackson wrote:

You already got your sequel to Super Mario 64. It's called Banjo Kazooie.

amended

Don't sully the Mario name by bringing up that B****** game. We need a sequel, not a collect-a-thon wanna-be.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

62. Posted:

I'm with the Mario taking a break crowd. Replace that Mario with a little Wario.and not of the micro mini game variety. :p Nintendo knows Wario Land isn't exactly one of their big money makers as to why we haven't seen a Wario Land sequal since the poor selling yet brilliant Shake it. sigh*
I personally would love to see a new Punch-out!! and a new StarTropics, be it on the Wii U or 3DS. B-) Another Zelda, Mario and Metroid to me at this point is just the 'whatever and expected' i want Nintendo to dig up one of their more obscure IP's and take a chance for once. Pikmin 3 is probably my most anticipated Wii U game right now for that reason.

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

63. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Emaan wrote:

CactusJackson wrote:

You already got your sequel to Super Mario 64. It's called Banjo Kazooie.

amended

Don't sully the Mario name by bringing up that B****** game. We need a sequel, not a collect-a-thon wanna-be.

except their gameplay is basically the same. Except with more moves. And eggs.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

64. Posted:

@WaveBoy
You're right about Wario Land.
We just got a new Punch-Out!! game on the Wii.
Startropics could be cool, but it definitely depends on which direction they take it. It's like bringing Kid Icarus back. You have to like pretend that this series has been developing for all these years.
I'm personally very curious to see how they handle both Mario and Metroid on the Wii U. They have HD and a fancy new controller to use now. I don't know what to expect. So I'm definitely not wanting to wait on those series'.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Edward_J_Grug_III

65. Posted:

Of course Nintendo aren't going to take a break from Mario games - They sell really well and they are usually really well received. The idea of them taking a break from their most successful and well loved games is not really very likely.

Whatever the new 3D Mario is, I am pretty sure it will be largely about incorporating the Wii pad. Not sure how they will do it...

Edward_J_Grug_III

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

66. Posted:

It'd be nice but being realistic they can make sidegames that let's be honest, are not Mario games but just happen to have Mario stuff put into them. If that helps.

Might also help that I don't think there's a single Mario game we know about beyond Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkNinja9

67. Posted:

i know alot of ppl seem to hate sunshine but i just feel like its a must now to have a sunshine 2 the controls are there now so the cam view wont be a prob and it wont be the same 2D type like we been having for the last 3 mario games but i guess like someone said they cant please everyone >.> haters going to hate

my 3DS friend code: 4468-2280-4674

i stopped playing mario kart now and moved on to luigis mansion :P

NNID(WiiU): GhostNinja1373

usually im just on miiverse(drawing) :P

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

68. Posted:

If they came up with a whole new idea and it was good enough they'd throw Mario in it and people would still complain about it being "yet another Mario". If for example Sunshine had a different coat of paint it could have easily passed off as a different game. In the same vein Donkey Kong Country Returns is a lot more like New SMB than Galaxy is.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

69. Posted:

@DarkNinja9

Sunshine has got to be better than 3DLand. While 3D Land was great and all it was easily the most least exciting 3D mario of the lot.
Being released on a handheld also knocks down the wow factor. But the Stereoscopic does make up for it it's own way.

And as I've said before i want a spirritual successor to SMB2/Doki Doki panic, my personal favorite mario game and game of all time.
instead of constantly borrowing elements from the more popular and mainstream sequals in the series.

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

70. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Well "Mario Canon" is what people mean when they say "Mario Game". If you're going to start calling things like Mario Tennis a Mario Game in the context of this thread then I should probably start calling Guitar Hero and Skylanders "Call of Duty" games. There has been a Call of Duty every year since 2003 except 2004 all of them games in the same genre in the same style and with the same label. What you said is less true of "Mario" than it is of CoD. Fact.

I want you to walk to your local GameStop and grab Mario Super Sluggers and Super Mario Galaxy and survey people the question: Is Super Mario Galaxy any more of a Mario game than this? I guarantee 95% of the people you ask will say no considering Mario Super Sluggers is a Mario game. Hence Mario is in the title.

Your logic is completely contradicting the fact Mario is a franchise just like Duke Nukem, Call of Duty and Final Fantasy are.

Guitar Hero isn't a Call of Duty whatsoever. Different franchises, different genres, different developers. In no way do either share resemblances. Mario Kart and Super Mario, other the other hand, do.

I would have respected your post more if you were. Now instead I just think it was a stupid thing to say.

I think it's stupid you can't accept the fact Mario games release every year whether or not they're canon or not. Which is my point, here.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

71. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

I want you to walk to your local GameStop and grab Mario Super Sluggers and Super Mario Galaxy and survey people the question: Is Super Mario Galaxy any more of a Mario game than this? I guarantee 95% of the people you ask will say no considering Mario Super Sluggers is a Mario game. Hence Mario is in the title.

Actually I doubt it. We were talking about 3D Mario Platformers (hence the title) and generally people understand what a "Mario game" is. If you went into your local game shop and asked a random what they thought of the newest Mario game they'd know you were talking about one of the platformers.

CactusJackson wrote:

Your logic is completely contradicting the fact Mario is a franchise just like Duke Nukem, Call of Duty and Final Fantasy are.

Guitar Hero isn't a Call of Duty whatsoever. Different franchises, different genres, different developers. In no way do either share resemblances. Mario Kart and Super Mario, other the other hand, do.

Well you mentioned Super Sluggers before so you're casting a pretty wide net for Mario. Just saying most of the games with Mario in the title have as much to do with each other as CoD does with Guitar Hero (i.e. the same publisher and not much else). You mentioned Super Sluggers which was a game not developed by the same people in a completely different genre. The only thing those games have in common with a "canon" Mario title is the publisher and characters

There's no CoD equivalent because they aren't games with flagship characters nor are they themes which translate to other genres. There are FF equivalents to the Mario thing. And no, I wouldn't call the FF spinoffs or games with FF characters in there incidentally "FF games" because they're not.

CactusJackson wrote:

I think it's stupid you can't accept the fact Mario games release every year whether or not they're canon or not. Which is my point, here.

and my point was that I couldn't care less which character is in the game. If the gameplay is alright what does it matter which characters they put in it? I'd be more bored if with Wario Land U, Kirby U, Donkey Kong Country U and Yoshi U than Mario Kart U, Mario U, Mario Tennis U and Paper Mario U. The Mario equivalent of CoD would be the canon games excluding spinoffs because the spinoffs are entirely different games often developed by completely different companies. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Drawdler

72. Posted:

Super Mario Universe?
I never found Super Mario 64 that great, to be honest. Maybe that just has something to do with the fact that my first 3D platformer was Spyro: Year of The Dragon which gave that the wow and wonder factor rather than 64. I sure did enjoy it a lot, but as post 20 said, I just tended to get lost reaching levels in that game. So at the least, I definetly want the hub with a map system that is in the Galaxy games. Or better, let you go back to levels you've found in a map in the pause menu, as well as finding them, because that would please both parties.
Whatever they do, though, I hope I don't find it as disappointing as 3D Land. I'm sure they will do something amazing, though, considering we haven't even had it teased yet!
Though, all in all,

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

I don't know how they can top Galaxy 2! That was the best!

On the subject of "Mario takes a break" the only Mario game I might want at all this year would be Mario Kart U. I admit that would be pretty nice. Not really nessicary, but nice.

#1 YOSHI HATER on Nintendo Life

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | (Currently Inactive) Backloggery | Disney Infinity Fans | Ghostroaster | Nintendo Friends

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

73. Posted:

Oh man, all the things they cpould do differently....I feel like if anything a 3D Super Mario Wii u title would definitely be much a lot like another Galaxy. Though in all honesty I'd love to see more of the older suits and itemscome back revamped and less of the gimmicky 1s. I don't mind the 1s that alter Mario's clothes but boring 1s that change the look altogether like a bee, spring, etc,just don't feel right.

Next up if anything PLEASE bring back the Koopalings and loosen the reigns on Bowser Jr because if done right they could have new castles set wherever and feel just as challenging as Bowser's castles in Galaxy 1 and 2. Heck maybe if they do make a 3rd Galaxy they'd possibly be ruling a Galaxy each or a main planet conquered, or altered and themed as their own. In fact, I' want each and every Koopaling boss battle to feel as though they have every bit the power Bowser does, even if we see some Final Bowser-like battles 1 by 1; ZI just feel as though hitting em once around and followingf that pattern again and again isn't enough. They need to challenge us hit per hit, meaning each successful whack they take means they have to switch and mix it up a notch until they have nothing left.

Or here's another idea becase ever since Super Mario Land 2 on GameBoy, I've always felt Wario could every bit the villian Bowser is, so why not maybe have the 2 team up? Or maybe this time around there could be a slight change-up as to just who the master villain is and maybe Waluigi is working with Wario (Though somehow i still feel bowser has to have a role in there somewhere regardless, whether be the main villain, or maybe just being outclassed/challenged by Wario by himself, or he and Waluigi); We'd be able to get more of an idea who he is and what he's about, and would make for an excellent incentive for coop play with Mario and Luigi. And assuming you don't have a 2nd player perhaps the CPU controls Luigi and you could switch who you wanna control when needed, and this could make room for combo attacks.

Lastly, as I've been saying for every franchise now, textureized characters and environments....depth is a MUST because the same old flat boring colors honestly only look and feel dated, as though the effort isn't there; It just simply needs more depth. Why can't Mario's overalls actually look like overalls as we saw in SSBB, more detasil to his gloves, shirt or hat, maybe his hair and mustache at the very least? Or how about how plain grass areas that look like there is no grass? Castuc' in desserts that don't look like a real 1, or the sand for that matter? Enemies could definitely use t as well.

Edited on by DaveGX

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

74. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Actually I doubt it. We were talking about 3D Mario Platformers (hence the title) and generally people understand what a "Mario game" is. If you went into your local game shop and asked a random what they thought of the newest Mario game they'd know you were talking about one of the platformers.

You need to re-read my posts then. I was clearly stating Mario recieves multiple new games every year whether they're canon or not. And yeah, I'm pretty sure a random guy in GameStop would answer to my catering.

Well you mentioned Super Sluggers before so you're casting a pretty wide net for Mario. Just saying most of the games with Mario in the title have as much to do with each other as CoD does with Guitar Hero (i.e. the same publisher and not much else). You mentioned Super Sluggers which was a game not developed by the same people in a completely different genre. The only thing those games have in common with a "canon" Mario title is the publisher and characters

Looking at those games you could find more in common with them than Call of Duty and Guitar Hero. Mario Party is also a fantastic example of this.

There's no CoD equivalent because they aren't games with flagship characters nor are they themes which translate to other genres. There are FF equivalents to the Mario thing. And no, I wouldn't call the FF spinoffs or games with FF characters in there incidentally "FF games" because they're not.

I don't know what planet you live on, but it must be filled with confusion.

and my point was that I couldn't care less which character is in the game. If the gameplay is alright what does it matter which characters they put in it? I'd be more bored if with Wario Land U, Kirby U, Donkey Kong Country U and Yoshi U than Mario Kart U, Mario U, Mario Tennis U and Paper Mario U. .

Game cases that are "new" experiences with Mario's name on it, are in fact, Mario games. Canon or not.

The Mario equivalent of CoD would be the canon games excluding spinoffs because the spinoffs are entirely different games often developed by completely different companies. You're comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not comparing anything but the number of releases each franchise sees per year. Nintendo isn't a completely different company from Nintendo. Nintendo develops Super Mario and Mario Kart. Nintendo also helps second parties and third parties develop Mario games to its liking.

Stop denying the obvious.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

75. Posted:

then all you're doing is exposing how irrelevant your point is if the only connection is that they're Mario games.

I mean, I get your point and I kinda agree but be realistic. That will never, EVER happen dude.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SteveW

76. Posted:

Emaan wrote:

Besides, we need a long overdue break from Mario. I'd like for Nintendo to finally end the "Mario every year" trend that started in 2009. The next Mario-type games I want to see between 2013-2015 is the next Mairo Kart, Mario Party 10 perhaps, and a Yoshi's Island game.

Other than that, I want the next main series Mario game to take its time developing. Mario's in HD now, and with the Wii U there's so much potential. I have really high expectations. Blow Galaxy out of the water, if its possible.

They could definitely improve upon the map in Galaxy... instead of moving to the next level on the map why not have you fly Mario in a space ship to the next planet in 3D. This could bring the exploration aspect of Wind Waker to a Mario game, fly to different planets and find new things... etc.. :)

SteveW

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

77. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

then all you're doing is exposing how irrelevant your point is if the only connection is that they're Mario games.

I mean, I get your point and I kinda agree but be realistic. That will never, EVER happen dude.

I never said it ever had to happen, dude. I was saying it would be well worth it for Nintendo to take that sort of a risk. I don't see it happening either but as far as I'm aware we're not getting a single Mario game in the first half of 2013. Which is music to my ears.

Plus, if Mario Kart doesn't count as a Mario game, then Guitar Hero Metallica doesn't count as a Guitar Hero game.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

78. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

[ I was saying it would be well worth it for Nintendo to take that sort of a risk. I don't see it happening either but as far as I'm aware we're not getting a single Mario game in the first half of 2013. Which is music to my ears.

Plus, if Mario Kart doesn't count as a Mario game, then Guitar Hero Metallica doesn't count as a Guitar Hero game.

1. Barring a lightning in a bottle scenario, nothing will make more money than a major Mario title in the same situation (that being similar levels of advertising or availability or whatever).
2. Luigi's Mansion doesn't count? Because...the title doesn't have Mario in it?
3. Bringing up Guitar Hero doesn't help. Guitar Hero was very limited in the direction you could go with it beyond basically what Rock Band did and that one spinoff, DJ Hero. And even then, all the same genre. People can't get sick of a series quite as easily if there's almost never more than one game per year that's the same genre.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DaveGX

79. Posted:

here's my whole take on the whole "Mario" games thing....Sure it may be easy for a lot of people to call anything with Mario in it a Mario game, but let's be honest; Mario "Party", "Kart", "Tennis" Sluggers", etc....Those are spin-offs, not cannon because not only do they not follow core Mario canon gameplay as opposed to whatever gimmick (and not meant in a bad way) is implied, they're also featuring characters from Nintendo's other franchises (and not to be confused with easter eggs you might find in other franchises representing Mario or whomever). Core generally only concerns the main characters from that particular franchise. You can't really throw Guitar Hero into this and say another game simply by band name isn't Guitar Hero because the core gameplay remains the same. DJ Hero, as already mentioned is a spin-off sinceit retains that similar core, but is catered with a different element rather than the guitar. Rock Band certainly isn't a spin-off, or core to Guitar Hero because while it shares the style of gameplay, for 1 it's not the same developers and again isn't centered around 1 thing, it involved multiple. The only thing each of these share is which element its aimed at; Guiat Hero=the guitar, Dj Hero=turntable DJ equipment, Rock Band=the whole mix of instraments/equipment. (Despite that really so far the gameplay only offers gameplay from a guitar, microphone, or drums)

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

80. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

1. Barring a lightning in a bottle scenario, nothing will make more money than a major Mario title in the same situation (that being similar levels of advertising or availability or whatever).
2. Luigi's Mansion doesn't count? Because...the title doesn't have Mario in it?
3. Bringing up Guitar Hero doesn't help. Guitar Hero was very limited in the direction you could go with it beyond basically what Rock Band did and that one spinoff, DJ Hero. And even then, all the same genre. People can't get sick of a series quite as easily if there's almost never more than one game per year that's the same genre.

*) You need to develop better comprehension skills.
*) How is Luigi, Mario? Even so, you're not helping yourself here.
*) I'm not the who originally brought up Guitar Hero. Blame Skywake for that sherlock. And if my argument blows your top, just read his last few comments. lol

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury