Wii U Forum

Topic: The next Mario 3D platformer...

Showing 161 to 170 of 170

AuthorMessage

rayword45

161. Posted:

I don't think it'll be a commercial failure at all. The critics will sound disappointed and the fanboys will start a #CutForMario campaign, but it definitely will sell.

Look at Galaxy 2, then NSMBU. If we can move into handheld titles, include both of those. Not failures at all commercially, but fanbase complaints galore. Hell, sideseries look at Double Dash (or your favorite) then look at MK7. Still successful.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

162. Posted:

The New! series is a commercial success but looking at the Galaxy duo, I don't think it's entirely comparable. Let alone the sales of the Mario Kart series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mario Kart Wii sold 18 million copies while Super Mario Galaxy sold in the 5-7 range, both worldwide.

I'm sure whatever Nintendo does produce it'll sell, but its reception will vary if the impact is small.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

skywake

163. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

The Mario development team is only so big. The team single handledly produced four Mario titles since 2010. Excluding spin offs. Two of which were 3D, so, you can't really expect them to have put any effort or time into another flagship Mario title.

Even if the idea is there, the development team needs time to, uh, develop.

Believe it or not.

A quick search, there are seven active teams at Nintendo EAD (i.e. they all made a game in 2011/12). Three of them have done Mario games and one of the teams does all of the New SMB games. If you're going to say a "single team single handedly" made New SMB, Galaxy and Galaxy 2... why stop there? Why not say they also made Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Wii Fit U and OoT3D. They all came out of the same department.

Plus I'm surprised someone as cynical as you doesn't realise that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the same as Super Mario Galaxy technically and was basically a "massive level pack". Basically with Galaxy (2007), Galaxy 2 (2010) and 3D Land (2011) we're in the same spot we were in the late 90s. We got Ocarina of Time (1998), Majora's Mask (2000) and Seasons/Ages (2001)... and now we're waiting for the Mario version of Wind Waker (2003).

So I say 2013 is plenty long enough for them to come up with something new.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

164. Posted:

Truthfully, I don't care about how many teams there are at Nintendo EAD. All I know is that with time, great things can emerge, something you obviously cannot understand. And it's sad how easy it is for you to get upset. Calm down, whatever happens, happens. If Nintendo wants to rush out yet another Mario game, so be it. I have no say, you have no say, we all have no say.

Like I said before, Zelda isn't comparable to Mario. Its development cycle is completely different and besides, not only is Ages and Seasons not comparable to 3D Land, it was developed by a completely different company named Capcom. The impact of those three 3D Zelda games is beyond comprehension for that particular franchise and if Nintendo wants to execute that into Mario's long running franchise, it has to take a moment, one step at a time, to do so. But you obviously disagree with that, for whatever reason, and that is why I'm so grateful you're not in control over at Nintendo whatsoever. *winkeyface

So I say 2013 is plenty long enough for them to come up with something new.

Two years? Two years is long enough for Nintendo to finish up an HD 3D Mario title? You're delusional. I know Mario games are fun but seriously, you'll survive a few more years.

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

skywake

165. Posted:

Who said I was getting worked up? Just thought I'd add some clarity to your statements by looking at the easily googleable info on the rate at which these various teams produce these games. Under that one department they chrun out a whole bunch of games. The team that made Galaxy's biggest game since they created it was OoT3D and done in co-opperation with Grezzo. Seems they've got plenty of talent there capable of creating a new game. Plus all of these teams produce on average one title per year.

Yes, the development cycles are more than two years however the games overlap. Take the "Zelda" team which appear to talk to themselves. From what we know of Skyward Sword they had started work on it in some form at E3 2008. At this point they were still in the middle of Spirit Tracks which in the "Mario dev" timeline would, I'd argue, be in the middle of 3D Land i.e. June 2010. Skyward Sword launched in late 2011 so three and a half years from start to finish. If the Wii U Mario follows the same sort of development cycle, and I see no reason why it wouldn't, it wouldn't be strange to see a new Mario as soon as Nov 2013.

Personally I don't mind whether they do or not but the fact is that would be about the right length of time given their speed at developing other large quality titles. You seem to be convinced that it would be out of the question to see a new Mario game this soon and that one team "single handedly" produced all of the Mario games recently. It's simply not true, please feel free to get antsey about me telling you you're wrong again by all means... but you're wrong.

Edited on by skywake

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

166. Posted:

Those side games such as Spirit Tracks and 3D Land take time away from bigger titles on consoles. Nintendo cannot afford to throw out a rushed Mario title that's been worked upon on the side for the last two years, to be released this November on a console it has to deliver on. Even with one thousand developers (Approximately the size of the team that worked on Assassin's Creed 3 and look how different that one is), Nintendo would still have to take its time crafting a masterpiece per se. Though, with such a short deadline, I don't think it's possible even with a thousand people to do so.

And who's saying you or I are wrong? Is this what this is about? There's more to life than being right (as much as I'd love to be wrong about this entire debate, I won't be surprised when Nintendo does release a rushed HD Mario yet again).

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

DaveGX

167. Posted:

Zelda again....heh. No offense, but it's kinda hard toc all any Zelda game a "side" game, really; Sure a few of em 90s-ish had link in another land with a different villian or whatever.... Did you know the creator describes it as having 3 timelines? Should check out the retrospect on GameTrrailers.

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

168. Posted:

Actually, I think a new Mario game for holiday 2013 sounds like it would be a good idea for Nintendo. If the next xbox comes out, which it might considering the price of a 360 these days, it will be a reminder to people as to why they should get a Wii U over an xbox, that is, if Mario means anything to them.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage

skywake

169. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

Those side games such as Spirit Tracks and 3D Land take time away from bigger titles on consoles. Nintendo cannot afford to throw out a rushed Mario title that's been worked upon on the side for the last two years, to be released this November on a console it has to deliver on.

I didn't say those portable games are trivial in terms of effort I simply said the development cycles of these games overlap. Plus I'm not sure how deep your knowledge of software engineering is but the idea that you can just add people to a project and reduce the.... "Nine women can't make a baby in one month". So naturally they have multiple small teams working on two projects each simultaneously. Each team seems to churn out a game once every year or so despite the games taking two to four years to complete.

Now I didn't say they "had to" or even that they "should" have a Mario game ready for Nov 2013 I just said that they could. If they did they would have probably spent the same amount of time on it as they did with Skyward Sword. So it wouldn't be "rushed" anymore than any of their other titles are... all of which are at a really high quality. And yes, they shouldn't release the game before it's ready I'm not disputing that... I'm just saying that's the sort of timeline they've run to in the past.

Anywho, seven teams in Nintendo EAD all of them constantly working on at least one title. Five of them we have no idea what they're doing. Mario Kart/Nintendogs, Casual game, Zelda, 3D Mario and Misc. Pretty safe to assume we'll see or at least hear whispers about one from the majority of these groups at E3 this year.

CactusJackson wrote:

And who's saying you or I are wrong? Is this what this is about? There's more to life than being right (as much as I'd love to be wrong about this entire debate, I won't be surprised when Nintendo does release a rushed HD Mario yet again).

So I shouldn't disagree with anyone in fear of being perceived as a person who thinks there's nothing more to life than being right? ......

Edited on by skywake

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

170. Posted:

I never said adding people to the development team is going to help anything, I clearly said even with a thousand developers, Nintendo could not produce a quality 3D Mario in that short of time. Stop throwing words in my mouth and learn to read.

Now I didn't say they "had to" or even that they "should" have a Mario game ready for Nov 2013 I just said that they could. If they did they would have probably spent the same amount of time on it as they did with Skyward Sword. So it wouldn't be "rushed" anymore than any of their other titles are... all of which are at a really high quality. And yes, they shouldn't release the game before it's ready I'm not disputing that... I'm just saying that's the sort of timeline they've run to in the past.

At least you're seeing the big picture now.

As for the last part of your wall of text, no, but bringing up "I'm right, you're wrong" at the last sentence of your post is very immature and childish.

Just for you.