Forums

Topic: The next Mario 3D platformer...

Posts 141 to 160 of 165

kkslider5552000

this was totally worth 8 pages

Untitled

guys i used to enjoy this game but someone put mario in the title, MY LIFE IS RUINED

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DaveGX

CactusJackson wrote:

Changing the name from Galaxy to Universe isn't going to save it.

Says you, but I'm not thinknig just change the name. I mean change up the gameplay a bit.

3Dash wrote:

DaveGX wrote:

Meh....forget Galaxy "3"..... How about maybe Super Mario Universe, or maybe make it Super Mario "Bros" Universe that way it hasa good emphasis on items ranging way back sinceSMB 3 expanded the world, and even SM World a little. Maybe have less gimmicky mushrooms, or new flowers if they throw in a few; The poison mushroom should make a return and the ice flower too but like itis in New SMB. Maybe even the mega mushroom could be in some areas but not make him too big.

Though I'd like to be able to actually fly with the raccoon suit like you're supposed to in SMB3 or the cape even with exact float and crash land/ground shake ability.. Boomerang suit was pretty cool keep that 1, but bring back the Hammer Bros suit and maybe instad of just chucking em the suit can have more multi1 attack like a simple swing attack (an example would be like Links swings his sword or that full 360 degree 1 he does via charged attack) and also a press n hold charged swing, a downward hammer attack like a mallet. Another idea I had was with Lakitu, where say he's not toohigh up and if you successfully hit him, his cloud stay afloat for a short period of time allowing you to hop up into it where/however possible and you can ride his cloud chuchking his Spiny eggs at other enemies.

Lastly, I know I've sexplained this 1 somewhere earlier, the reason for Mario "Bros", to have dual play between Mario and Luigi and maybe have combo attacks, and when 2 players aren't there you change who you need to control. Also definitely bring the Koopalings back into focus as wellas earleir, more bowser boss-like including castles/planets/galaxies or whatever.

Y'know, with a few minor adjustments, you just successfully described NSMBU!

And what types of adjustments might those be?

Edited on by DaveGX

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

Chrono_Cross

Changing up the gameplay is different than describing why Nintendo should include every power up from the New Super Mario Bros. series.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

skywake

CactusJackson wrote:

We never had this many main series Mario games in the 90s. I remember 1991's Super Mario World, 95's Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 64. Now, I could easily list all of the main series Mario games since 2006 but I hope you get my point.

Plus, I was thinking more like 2015 at the least.

Well I hope at this point you accept that the thread has changed to talking about just the 3D Mario games. So assuming we're not talking about portables and remakes it's Mario 64 and Sunshine pre 2006 and Galaxy and Galaxy 2 post 2006. Now personally I don't think they've explored that style of game enough yet and I'd be interested to see what else they could come up with. Apparently I'm not alone given the response in this thread thus far.

It's the amount of novel ideas they introduce that's important not some arbitrary amount of time between games. We have a new console so now is as good a time as any for them to release a new game because they have a chance to do something new. An opportunity missed with New SMB U sure... but that's hardly a series that is known for being significantly different from game to game.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DaveGX

CactusJackson wrote:

Changing up the gameplay is different than describing why Nintendo should include every power up from the New Super Mario Bros. series.

How do you figure? What I'm suggesting is that a lot of the old power-ups can be brought back with more possibilities as we'd expect/anticipate them behave to in a 3D Mario game, aside from the possibility of dual/coop play between Mario and Luigi. This has a big impact on gameplay as it'd allow us to approach enemies and environments in ways never really thought possible if done right.

Edited on by DaveGX

Chrono_Cross

skywake wrote:

Well I hope at this point you accept that the thread has changed to talking about just the 3D Mario games. So assuming we're not talking about portables and remakes it's Mario 64 and Sunshine pre 2006 and Galaxy and Galaxy 2 post 2006. Now personally I don't think they've explored that style of game enough yet and I'd be interested to see what else they could come up with. Apparently I'm not alone given the response in this thread thus far.

And Super Mario 3D Land. And I wasn't talking about 3D Marios just the main series. Either way we just saw 3D Land release in 2011 and Galaxy 2 in 2010. Not including the New! series.

I'd love to see Nintendo explore but in order for it to be enjoyable for all fans, Nintendo needs to play its cards right.

It's the amount of novel ideas they introduce that's important not some arbitrary amount of time between games.

Giving Nintendo time allows for more ideas to flourish. Super Mario Galaxy took nearly five years to complete and look at the impact it left.

DaveGX wrote:

How do you figure? What I'm suggesting is that a lot of the old power-ups can be brought back with more possibilities as we'd expect/anticipate them behave to in a 3D Mario game, aside from the possibility of dual/coop play between Mario and Luigi. This has a big impact on gameplay as it'd allow us to approach enemies and environments in ways never really thought possible if done right.

That's debatable. Super Mario Galaxy could've easily adopted New Super Mario Bros.'s item selection but it didn't. Rather it developed its own items and was made appropriate for the levels and the game itself.

So really, the next 3D Mario needs to develop its own item selection so it can feel new like Galaxy did all those years ago. Otherwise we're stuck with another 3D Land which would be wasted potential considering how much can be done on the Wii U in terms of power.

Just for you.

Chrono_Cross

I'd love to see Doki Doki Panic U be released in the west and in Europe. That would be a surprising twist even if it would more than likely sell horribly, lol.

Just for you.

skywake

CactusJackson wrote:

skywake wrote:

And Super Mario 3D Land. And I wasn't talking about 3D Marios just the main series. Either way we just saw 3D Land release in 2011 and Galaxy 2 in 2010. Not including the New! series.

I'd love to see Nintendo explore but in order for it to be enjoyable for all fans, Nintendo needs to play its cards right.

A bit of reading comprehension wouldn't go astray. I did say that I wasn't including portable experiences and remakes and if I had I would have opened a whole other Pandora's box in Mario Advance and Mario Land. For the sake of your previous point about Nintendo's non-overuse of Mario pre-2006 I thought I'd just leave that out of it.

Edited on by skywake

Chrono_Cross

Even if we weren't talking about portables, the absence of 3D Land isn't helping your point. Besides this topic has changed to talking about 3D Mario games and last time I checked 3D Land counts as so.

You can't omit the fact that Nintendo needs time to come up with an original idea for Mario's Wii U debut. Even if it's Sunshine safe, give the company some space so it doesn't rush this Mario, too.

Just for you.

DudeSean

I'm pretty sure Nintendo takes their time with every console, 3D Mario game and Zelda game. I don't think anyone is rushing them... even if people were persistently asking them for it, I don't think that would make them work on it any faster.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

Chrono_Cross

DudeSean wrote:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo takes their time with every console, 3D Mario game and Zelda game. I don't think anyone is rushing them... even if people were persistently asking them for it, I don't think that would make them work on it any faster.

No one's talking about Zelda. But if the last fews are anything to go by, Nintendo is definitely not taking its sweet time with Mario.

Just for you.

DudeSean

I like all the recent 3D Mario games. Galaxy 1 & 2 and 3D Land. If you're talking about the Bros. games, well, that's a different ballgame. Those games don't take as long to make nor do they require as much time to come up with ideas for it. With the Wii U and a 3D Mario game, the possibilities are nearly endless. But when you're doing a Bros. game, you already know mostly how it's going to work, otherwise it wouldn't be a Bros. game.

Zelda is just an example of how, like with the 3D home console Mario games, Nintendo takes their time. Occasionally making a sequel (Galaxy 2, Majora's Mask), but usually just one per system. I don't think that's bad.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

DaveGX

Honestly 3 and World rather felt very similar, the worlds map at least, except that World was limited in items. As for the Tanooki suit, ehh, I'm iffy about that 1 because the bigger disappointment imo was with the teaser befgore super Mario 3D Land became the official name, and it wasn't the raccoon suit. Doki Doki Panick....Ehh, I honestly couldn't see this 1 coming back because if you read up and play the actual JP game, you'll find out how different it is from SMB2; More or less I feel that Wart and his minions are a truer villain to that series than Super Mario.

Aside from all that, as I suggested earlier, an idea for Super Mario "Bros" in a 3D Mario game, perhaps Wario and Waluigi could become the man baddies (And allow us to find out mroe what type of character Waluigi is); This could be used as a sort of promotion of dual/coop gameplay for combos and that sort between Mario and Luigi, and an attack pattern among enemies (Maybe not all of them but some) and boss battles as well and remind us in new ways why they're called Super Mario Bros.

skywake

CactusJackson wrote:

Even if we weren't talking about portables, the absence of 3D Land isn't helping your point. Besides this topic has changed to talking about 3D Mario games and last time I checked 3D Land counts as so.

I just assumed you wanted to continue your "Mario is being milked more than ever" narrative. If we suddenly include portable games then around 1990, which was apparently when they weren't milking it, there was SMB2 (1988), SMB 3, Land, World (1990), Land 2 (1992), Land 3 (1994) and Yoshi's Island (1995). Compare that to the last seven years where we had New SMB (2006), Galaxy (2007), New SMB Wii (2009), Galaxy 2 (2010), 3D Land (2011), New SMB 2 and New SMB U (2012). The only conclusion you could make was that they always milked the series. It's like they're a company who wants profits or something.....

CactusJackson wrote:

You can't omit the fact that Nintendo needs time to come up with an original idea for Mario's Wii U debut. Even if it's Sunshine safe, give the company some space so it doesn't rush this Mario, too.

Well given the last "new idea" we had from Mario was in Galaxy I think it's safe to say they have had plenty of time to work on a new idea. If that's your measure of when it's time then the portable games really shouldn't count given that they don't tend to indroduce new ideas. Excluding the introduction of Wario maybe... but certainly nothing "new" in 3D Land and even less in the first New SMB.

Chrono_Cross

skywake wrote:

I just assumed you wanted to continue your "Mario is being milked more than ever" narrative.

But it is. There are more games with the name Mario in the title since 2003 than there has been since his signature game, Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

If we suddenly include portable games then around 1990, which was apparently when they weren't milking it, there was SMB2 (1988), SMB 3, Land, World (1990), Land 2 (1992), Land 3 (1994) and Yoshi's Island (1995). Compare that to the last seven years where we had New SMB (2006), Galaxy (2007), New SMB Wii (2009), Galaxy 2 (2010), 3D Land (2011), New SMB 2 and New SMB U (2012). The only conclusion you could make was that they always milked the series. It's like they're a company who wants profits or something.....

No problem with a company making money. I never said that was the problem. All I was saying is that Nintendo should focus more on its other franchises than solely on Mario.

Well given the last "new idea" we had from Mario was in Galaxy I think it's safe to say they have had plenty of time to work on a new idea. If that's your measure of when it's time then the portable games really shouldn't count given that they don't tend to indroduce new ideas. Excluding the introduction of Wario maybe... but certainly nothing "new" in 3D Land and even less in the first New SMB.

You can't physically whip up a new 3D Mario in two years and expect it to sell millions on your new console. As gamers, the standard for 3D Marios was set by Galaxy 2 and anything less will be a failure commercially.

The Mario development team is only so big. The team single handledly produced four Mario titles since 2010. Excluding spin offs. Two of which were 3D, so, you can't really expect them to have put any effort or time into another flagship Mario title.

Even if the idea is there, the development team needs time to, uh, develop.

Believe it or not.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

rayword45

I don't think it'll be a commercial failure at all. The critics will sound disappointed and the fanboys will start a #CutForMario campaign, but it definitely will sell.

Look at Galaxy 2, then NSMBU. If we can move into handheld titles, include both of those. Not failures at all commercially, but fanbase complaints galore. Hell, sideseries look at Double Dash (or your favorite) then look at MK7. Still successful.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

Chrono_Cross

The New! series is a commercial success but looking at the Galaxy duo, I don't think it's entirely comparable. Let alone the sales of the Mario Kart series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mario Kart Wii sold 18 million copies while Super Mario Galaxy sold in the 5-7 range, both worldwide.

I'm sure whatever Nintendo does produce it'll sell, but its reception will vary if the impact is small.

Just for you.

skywake

CactusJackson wrote:

The Mario development team is only so big. The team single handledly produced four Mario titles since 2010. Excluding spin offs. Two of which were 3D, so, you can't really expect them to have put any effort or time into another flagship Mario title.

Even if the idea is there, the development team needs time to, uh, develop.

Believe it or not.

A quick search, there are seven active teams at Nintendo EAD (i.e. they all made a game in 2011/12). Three of them have done Mario games and one of the teams does all of the New SMB games. If you're going to say a "single team single handedly" made New SMB, Galaxy and Galaxy 2... why stop there? Why not say they also made Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Wii Fit U and OoT3D. They all came out of the same department.

Plus I'm surprised someone as cynical as you doesn't realise that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the same as Super Mario Galaxy technically and was basically a "massive level pack". Basically with Galaxy (2007), Galaxy 2 (2010) and 3D Land (2011) we're in the same spot we were in the late 90s. We got Ocarina of Time (1998), Majora's Mask (2000) and Seasons/Ages (2001)... and now we're waiting for the Mario version of Wind Waker (2003).

So I say 2013 is plenty long enough for them to come up with something new.

Edited on by skywake

Chrono_Cross

Truthfully, I don't care about how many teams there are at Nintendo EAD. All I know is that with time, great things can emerge, something you obviously cannot understand. And it's sad how easy it is for you to get upset. Calm down, whatever happens, happens. If Nintendo wants to rush out yet another Mario game, so be it. I have no say, you have no say, we all have no say.

Like I said before, Zelda isn't comparable to Mario. Its development cycle is completely different and besides, not only is Ages and Seasons not comparable to 3D Land, it was developed by a completely different company named Capcom. The impact of those three 3D Zelda games is beyond comprehension for that particular franchise and if Nintendo wants to execute that into Mario's long running franchise, it has to take a moment, one step at a time, to do so. But you obviously disagree with that, for whatever reason, and that is why I'm so grateful you're not in control over at Nintendo whatsoever. *winkeyface

So I say 2013 is plenty long enough for them to come up with something new.

Two years? Two years is long enough for Nintendo to finish up an HD 3D Mario title? You're delusional. I know Mario games are fun but seriously, you'll survive a few more years.

Just for you.

skywake

Who said I was getting worked up? Just thought I'd add some clarity to your statements by looking at the easily googleable info on the rate at which these various teams produce these games. Under that one department they chrun out a whole bunch of games. The team that made Galaxy's biggest game since they created it was OoT3D and done in co-opperation with Grezzo. Seems they've got plenty of talent there capable of creating a new game. Plus all of these teams produce on average one title per year.

Yes, the development cycles are more than two years however the games overlap. Take the "Zelda" team which appear to talk to themselves. From what we know of Skyward Sword they had started work on it in some form at E3 2008. At this point they were still in the middle of Spirit Tracks which in the "Mario dev" timeline would, I'd argue, be in the middle of 3D Land i.e. June 2010. Skyward Sword launched in late 2011 so three and a half years from start to finish. If the Wii U Mario follows the same sort of development cycle, and I see no reason why it wouldn't, it wouldn't be strange to see a new Mario as soon as Nov 2013.

Personally I don't mind whether they do or not but the fact is that would be about the right length of time given their speed at developing other large quality titles. You seem to be convinced that it would be out of the question to see a new Mario game this soon and that one team "single handedly" produced all of the Mario games recently. It's simply not true, please feel free to get antsey about me telling you you're wrong again by all means... but you're wrong.

Edited on by skywake

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.