Wii U Forum

Topic: The next Mario 3D platformer...

Showing 141 to 160 of 170

AuthorMessage

DaveGX

141. Posted:

Meh....forget Galaxy "3"..... How about maybe Super Mario Universe, or maybe make it Super Mario "Bros" Universe that way it hasa good emphasis on items ranging way back sinceSMB 3 expanded the world, and even SM World a little. Maybe have less gimmicky mushrooms, or new flowers if they throw in a few; The poison mushroom should make a return and the ice flower too but like itis in New SMB. Maybe even the mega mushroom could be in some areas but not make him too big.

Though I'd like to be able to actually fly with the raccoon suit like you're supposed to in SMB3 or the cape even with exact float and crash land/ground shake ability.. Boomerang suit was pretty cool keep that 1, but bring back the Hammer Bros suit and maybe instad of just chucking em the suit can have more multi1 attack like a simple swing attack (an example would be like Links swings his sword or that full 360 degree 1 he does via charged attack) and also a press n hold charged swing, a downward hammer attack like a mallet. Another idea I had was with Lakitu, where say he's not toohigh up and if you successfully hit him, his cloud stay afloat for a short period of time allowing you to hop up into it where/however possible and you can ride his cloud chuchking his Spiny eggs at other enemies.

Lastly, I know I've sexplained this 1 somewhere earlier, the reason for Mario "Bros", to have dual play between Mario and Luigi and maybe have combo attacks, and when 2 players aren't there you change who you need to control. Also definitely bring the Koopalings back into focus as wellas earleir, more bowser boss-like including castles/planets/galaxies or whatever.

Edited on by DaveGX

3DS FC: 4768-7451-8056
3DS Mii QR code: http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h447/DaveGX2/HNI_0002.jpg

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

142. Posted:

Changing the name from Galaxy to Universe isn't going to save it.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage

AddADashOfSalt

143. Posted:

DaveGX wrote:

Meh....forget Galaxy "3"..... How about maybe Super Mario Universe, or maybe make it Super Mario "Bros" Universe that way it hasa good emphasis on items ranging way back sinceSMB 3 expanded the world, and even SM World a little. Maybe have less gimmicky mushrooms, or new flowers if they throw in a few; The poison mushroom should make a return and the ice flower too but like itis in New SMB. Maybe even the mega mushroom could be in some areas but not make him too big.

Though I'd like to be able to actually fly with the raccoon suit like you're supposed to in SMB3 or the cape even with exact float and crash land/ground shake ability.. Boomerang suit was pretty cool keep that 1, but bring back the Hammer Bros suit and maybe instad of just chucking em the suit can have more multi1 attack like a simple swing attack (an example would be like Links swings his sword or that full 360 degree 1 he does via charged attack) and also a press n hold charged swing, a downward hammer attack like a mallet. Another idea I had was with Lakitu, where say he's not toohigh up and if you successfully hit him, his cloud stay afloat for a short period of time allowing you to hop up into it where/however possible and you can ride his cloud chuchking his Spiny eggs at other enemies.

Lastly, I know I've sexplained this 1 somewhere earlier, the reason for Mario "Bros", to have dual play between Mario and Luigi and maybe have combo attacks, and when 2 players aren't there you change who you need to control. Also definitely bring the Koopalings back into focus as wellas earleir, more bowser boss-like including castles/planets/galaxies or whatever.

Y'know, with a few minor adjustments, you just successfully described NSMBU!

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi. Oh, and a Kid Icarus one, too, created by Cyb3rnite.
deviantART Profile

"I'd not open that if I were you. My mortis glyphs have proven to be surprisingly effective in the past."

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

144. Posted:

this was totally worth 8 pages

Untitled

guys i used to enjoy this game but someone put mario in the title, MY LIFE IS RUINED

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

DaveGX

145. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

Changing the name from Galaxy to Universe isn't going to save it.

Says you, but I'm not thinknig just change the name. I mean change up the gameplay a bit.

3Dash wrote:

DaveGX wrote:

Y'know, with a few minor adjustments, you just successfully described NSMBU!

And what types of adjustments might those be?

Edited on by DaveGX

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

146. Posted:

Changing up the gameplay is different than describing why Nintendo should include every power up from the New Super Mario Bros. series.

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

skywake

147. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

We never had this many main series Mario games in the 90s. I remember 1991's Super Mario World, 95's Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 64. Now, I could easily list all of the main series Mario games since 2006 but I hope you get my point.

Plus, I was thinking more like 2015 at the least.

Well I hope at this point you accept that the thread has changed to talking about just the 3D Mario games. So assuming we're not talking about portables and remakes it's Mario 64 and Sunshine pre 2006 and Galaxy and Galaxy 2 post 2006. Now personally I don't think they've explored that style of game enough yet and I'd be interested to see what else they could come up with. Apparently I'm not alone given the response in this thread thus far.

It's the amount of novel ideas they introduce that's important not some arbitrary amount of time between games. We have a new console so now is as good a time as any for them to release a new game because they have a chance to do something new. An opportunity missed with New SMB U sure... but that's hardly a series that is known for being significantly different from game to game.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

DaveGX

148. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

Changing up the gameplay is different than describing why Nintendo should include every power up from the New Super Mario Bros. series.

How do you figure? What I'm suggesting is that a lot of the old power-ups can be brought back with more possibilities as we'd expect/anticipate them behave to in a 3D Mario game, aside from the possibility of dual/coop play between Mario and Luigi. This has a big impact on gameplay as it'd allow us to approach enemies and environments in ways never really thought possible if done right.

Edited on by DaveGX

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

149. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Well I hope at this point you accept that the thread has changed to talking about just the 3D Mario games. So assuming we're not talking about portables and remakes it's Mario 64 and Sunshine pre 2006 and Galaxy and Galaxy 2 post 2006. Now personally I don't think they've explored that style of game enough yet and I'd be interested to see what else they could come up with. Apparently I'm not alone given the response in this thread thus far.

And Super Mario 3D Land. And I wasn't talking about 3D Marios just the main series. Either way we just saw 3D Land release in 2011 and Galaxy 2 in 2010. Not including the New! series.

I'd love to see Nintendo explore but in order for it to be enjoyable for all fans, Nintendo needs to play its cards right.

It's the amount of novel ideas they introduce that's important not some arbitrary amount of time between games.

Giving Nintendo time allows for more ideas to flourish. Super Mario Galaxy took nearly five years to complete and look at the impact it left.

DaveGX wrote:

How do you figure? What I'm suggesting is that a lot of the old power-ups can be brought back with more possibilities as we'd expect/anticipate them behave to in a 3D Mario game, aside from the possibility of dual/coop play between Mario and Luigi. This has a big impact on gameplay as it'd allow us to approach enemies and environments in ways never really thought possible if done right.

That's debatable. Super Mario Galaxy could've easily adopted New Super Mario Bros.'s item selection but it didn't. Rather it developed its own items and was made appropriate for the levels and the game itself.

So really, the next 3D Mario needs to develop its own item selection so it can feel new like Galaxy did all those years ago. Otherwise we're stuck with another 3D Land which would be wasted potential considering how much can be done on the Wii U in terms of power.

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

150. Posted:

Spirritual Successor to SMB2/Doki Doki panic please! Super Mario Bros 2: Mario's Dreamy Return! anyone? B-)
No really, if a Suprise trailer surfaced out of nowhere i'd be jumping up and down like David Bowie on 1000 packs of skittles.
This is the best way to introduce something FRESH into the mario universe. Miyamoto said he would absolutely love to do a sequal. After all, SMB2, along with the original are his 2 favorite mario games of all time.

I think the next best step for mario after taking 2 trips to space in the galaxy games and the random 'no flow' remixed Mushroom kingdom layout in 3D Land, would be to enter the Dream world. ;)

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
NES FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

151. Posted:

I'd love to see Doki Doki Panic U be released in the west and in Europe. That would be a surprising twist even if it would more than likely sell horribly, lol.

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

152. Posted:

Strapping Mario to the name be it a 2D or 3D entry in the franchise will sell like Teenage mutant Ninja turtle hot cakes regardless. Strapping 'Wario' to the title will most likely equal an enormous flop because the world as always fails to realise just how amazing the wario land series(Not including 3) is. Nintendo needs to take the risk instead of playing it safe with the NSMB. series. Miyamoto once said that he doesn't like giving gamers the expected, but the unexpected. This doesn't hold true to the latest NSMB. milkage. 1,2,3 and World were completely different from one another, they were all magical in their own ways and left an enormous impact and screamed originality. You can't say the same for NSMB, Wii, 2 and U(easily the most creative of the lot, but still..) which feel like they are part of the exact same universe, with their reused visual asthetics, music, unimaginitive worlds ect ect. it's BECOME the expected and that's so not Nintendo.

But when it does come to borrowing more elements from the previous games i would LOVE to the Frog suit make a return. The Tanooki suit has over stayed it's welcome, as awesome as it is! :p

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
NES FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

skywake

153. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

skywake wrote:

And Super Mario 3D Land. And I wasn't talking about 3D Marios just the main series. Either way we just saw 3D Land release in 2011 and Galaxy 2 in 2010. Not including the New! series.

I'd love to see Nintendo explore but in order for it to be enjoyable for all fans, Nintendo needs to play its cards right.

A bit of reading comprehension wouldn't go astray. I did say that I wasn't including portable experiences and remakes and if I had I would have opened a whole other Pandora's box in Mario Advance and Mario Land. For the sake of your previous point about Nintendo's non-overuse of Mario pre-2006 I thought I'd just leave that out of it.
;)

Edited on by skywake

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

154. Posted:

Even if we weren't talking about portables, the absence of 3D Land isn't helping your point. Besides this topic has changed to talking about 3D Mario games and last time I checked 3D Land counts as so.

You can't omit the fact that Nintendo needs time to come up with an original idea for Mario's Wii U debut. Even if it's Sunshine safe, give the company some space so it doesn't rush this Mario, too.

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

155. Posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo takes their time with every console, 3D Mario game and Zelda game. I don't think anyone is rushing them... even if people were persistently asking them for it, I don't think that would make them work on it any faster.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

156. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo takes their time with every console, 3D Mario game and Zelda game. I don't think anyone is rushing them... even if people were persistently asking them for it, I don't think that would make them work on it any faster.

No one's talking about Zelda. But if the last fews are anything to go by, Nintendo is definitely not taking its sweet time with Mario.

Just for you.

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

157. Posted:

I like all the recent 3D Mario games. Galaxy 1 & 2 and 3D Land. If you're talking about the Bros. games, well, that's a different ballgame. Those games don't take as long to make nor do they require as much time to come up with ideas for it. With the Wii U and a 3D Mario game, the possibilities are nearly endless. But when you're doing a Bros. game, you already know mostly how it's going to work, otherwise it wouldn't be a Bros. game.

Zelda is just an example of how, like with the 3D home console Mario games, Nintendo takes their time. Occasionally making a sequel (Galaxy 2, Majora's Mask), but usually just one per system. I don't think that's bad.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage

DaveGX

158. Posted:

Honestly 3 and World rather felt very similar, the worlds map at least, except that World was limited in items. As for the Tanooki suit, ehh, I'm iffy about that 1 because the bigger disappointment imo was with the teaser befgore super Mario 3D Land became the official name, and it wasn't the raccoon suit. Doki Doki Panick....Ehh, I honestly couldn't see this 1 coming back because if you read up and play the actual JP game, you'll find out how different it is from SMB2; More or less I feel that Wart and his minions are a truer villain to that series than Super Mario.

Aside from all that, as I suggested earlier, an idea for Super Mario "Bros" in a 3D Mario game, perhaps Wario and Waluigi could become the man baddies (And allow us to find out mroe what type of character Waluigi is); This could be used as a sort of promotion of dual/coop gameplay for combos and that sort between Mario and Luigi, and an attack pattern among enemies (Maybe not all of them but some) and boss battles as well and remind us in new ways why they're called Super Mario Bros.

AuthorMessage

skywake

159. Posted:

CactusJackson wrote:

Even if we weren't talking about portables, the absence of 3D Land isn't helping your point. Besides this topic has changed to talking about 3D Mario games and last time I checked 3D Land counts as so.

I just assumed you wanted to continue your "Mario is being milked more than ever" narrative. If we suddenly include portable games then around 1990, which was apparently when they weren't milking it, there was SMB2 (1988), SMB 3, Land, World (1990), Land 2 (1992), Land 3 (1994) and Yoshi's Island (1995). Compare that to the last seven years where we had New SMB (2006), Galaxy (2007), New SMB Wii (2009), Galaxy 2 (2010), 3D Land (2011), New SMB 2 and New SMB U (2012). The only conclusion you could make was that they always milked the series. It's like they're a company who wants profits or something.....

CactusJackson wrote:

You can't omit the fact that Nintendo needs time to come up with an original idea for Mario's Wii U debut. Even if it's Sunshine safe, give the company some space so it doesn't rush this Mario, too.

Well given the last "new idea" we had from Mario was in Galaxy I think it's safe to say they have had plenty of time to work on a new idea. If that's your measure of when it's time then the portable games really shouldn't count given that they don't tend to indroduce new ideas. Excluding the introduction of Wario maybe... but certainly nothing "new" in 3D Land and even less in the first New SMB.

AuthorMessage

Chrono_Cross

160. Posted:

skywake wrote:

I just assumed you wanted to continue your "Mario is being milked more than ever" narrative.

But it is. There are more games with the name Mario in the title since 2003 than there has been since his signature game, Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

If we suddenly include portable games then around 1990, which was apparently when they weren't milking it, there was SMB2 (1988), SMB 3, Land, World (1990), Land 2 (1992), Land 3 (1994) and Yoshi's Island (1995). Compare that to the last seven years where we had New SMB (2006), Galaxy (2007), New SMB Wii (2009), Galaxy 2 (2010), 3D Land (2011), New SMB 2 and New SMB U (2012). The only conclusion you could make was that they always milked the series. It's like they're a company who wants profits or something.....

No problem with a company making money. I never said that was the problem. All I was saying is that Nintendo should focus more on its other franchises than solely on Mario.

Well given the last "new idea" we had from Mario was in Galaxy I think it's safe to say they have had plenty of time to work on a new idea. If that's your measure of when it's time then the portable games really shouldn't count given that they don't tend to indroduce new ideas. Excluding the introduction of Wario maybe... but certainly nothing "new" in 3D Land and even less in the first New SMB.

You can't physically whip up a new 3D Mario in two years and expect it to sell millions on your new console. As gamers, the standard for 3D Marios was set by Galaxy 2 and anything less will be a failure commercially.

The Mario development team is only so big. The team single handledly produced four Mario titles since 2010. Excluding spin offs. Two of which were 3D, so, you can't really expect them to have put any effort or time into another flagship Mario title.

Even if the idea is there, the development team needs time to, uh, develop.

Believe it or not.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.