Wii U Forum

Topic: The Morph Ball is LAME

Showing 21 to 40 of 52

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

21. Posted:

The morph ball is a great game mechanic. It has allowed for some of the best puzzles in the Metroid series. If you look at the morph ball for 2D Metroids you will see how important it is. Metroid is not your generic shooter and no one wants it to be a generic shooter

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

True_Hero

22. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

A better question you should be asking is; why are those features there in the first place? You never see chozo or space pirates or galactic federation troopers rolling up into a ball and the game goes out of it's way to say why only Samus can do this. So why are there features among the chozo ruins, pirate bases, and GF ships that can only be navigated by using a morph ball? By including them in addition to these features, Retro basically admitted that all of these things were made specifically for Samus and that no one else matters in the Metroid universe.

Instead of a magnetic strip, wouldn't it make more sense for the space pirates to have built a ladder instead?

First of all, the Chozo are pretty much all dead. We never get to see them in action, so we don't know if they used Morph Ball technology or not. But considering how prevalent it is in their architecture and the fact that they invented it, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that they did. As for the pirates and GF Morph Ball areas, those pipes and magnetic strips probably serve another purpose, but Samus, being an opportunist, just takes advantage of the terrain. And come on, some of that has to be there for gameplay purposes. As for why even have a Morph Ball, why not? It's different, fun, and very useful. If the game just had ladders and crawling, that would be pretty generic and would cut down on the possibilities.

Edited on by True_Hero

-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RoryLee

23. Posted:

This topic is lame. I'd rather use the morph ball than climb a long ladder.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

24. Posted:

@Neoproteus is a troll.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

25. Posted:

...People are complaining about this? I understand this being an issue in an ArmA game, as realism is par for the course, but for Metroid? Let's all be a little lenient for science fiction series.

Edited on by V8_Ninja

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
A (Former) News Reporter/Opinionated Editorial Writer/Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Void

26. Posted:

You complaining about the lack of realism in video games? :O
Untitled
Sure, if they were trying to be 100% realistic, it would matter, but what would make you think they are?
And as @Dude_Sean mentioned, they did what they could with the limitations they had to work with, if you don't like it, you don't like it, also, opening with the word 'lame' doesn't make me think there is going to be a discussion, more so a rant, so I skipped the video.

Edited on by Void

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

27. Posted:

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I think the morph ball bombs are really useful, not to mention the power bomb which can only be done in morph ball mode, is arguably the most powerful weapon in the series.

I'm not arguing that they come in handy, I'm just saying that the method of using them only being in morph ball form is kind of silly. I mean, what would you rather have? This:

Or this?:

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

28. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

A better question you should be asking is; why are those features there in the first place? You never see chozo or space pirates or galactic federation troopers rolling up into a ball and the game goes out of it's way to say why only Samus can do this. So why are there features among the chozo ruins, pirate bases, and GF ships that can only be navigated by using a morph ball? By including them in addition to these features, Retro basically admitted that all of these things were made specifically for Samus and that no one else matters in the Metroid universe.

Instead of a magnetic strip, wouldn't it make more sense for the space pirates to have built a ladder instead?

Who's to say that any of those races used it for the purpose Samus is able to use it? For all we know, the magnetic paths were a means of transportation for supplies etc. Not specifically created for a organism to actually transport itself on.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

meatPill

29. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I think the morph ball bombs are really useful, not to mention the power bomb which can only be done in morph ball mode, is arguably the most powerful weapon in the series.

I'm not arguing that they come in handy, I'm just saying that the method of using them only being in morph ball form is kind of silly. I mean, what would you rather have? This:

Or this?:

Depends on what you want from the game. I would argue that learning to time the morph bombs might be more rewarding than mashing a rocket pack button and sticking explosives to things by mashing another. To each their own.

Currently juggling too many games:Dota 2, Mario Sunshine, Zombie-U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Battlefield 3 PC, Age of Empires II HD, Path of Exile, Luigi's Mansion(GC), Metroid Prime 2, Don't Starve.

Nintendo Network ID: meatPill

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

30. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

HawkeyeWii wrote:

I think the morph ball bombs are really useful, not to mention the power bomb which can only be done in morph ball mode, is arguably the most powerful weapon in the series.

I'm not arguing that they come in handy, I'm just saying that the method of using them only being in morph ball form is kind of silly. I mean, what would you rather have? This:

Or this?:

I would rather have Morph Ball Bombs in Metroid then bombs that destroy everything

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSilverFlame

31. Posted:

morph ball is COOL! the second best samus "form" and you guys know what I mean! =D just think how boring things would be if the logical path was followed! graphical interfaces wouldn't exist because the old operational systems work faster(even being harder they are more efficient) and no one would have video games or personal computers!

Kirby 20th anniversary Remix
Kirby is coming to the 3DS!!!!!!!
my Backloggery
the Chit-Chat Crew!
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
visit Nintendo Friends it's a cool place
Row Row, Fight the Power!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HawkeyeWii

32. Posted:

^^ Exactly! @DefHalen

Edited on by HawkeyeWii

Wii U username: KitKat_H12 (Unfortunately HawkeyeWii was already taken some how)
I STREAM LIVE GAMEPLAY AND SPEEDRUNS OF GAMES ON MY twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/hawkeyewii

Friend Codes3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter: HawkeyeWii

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

33. Posted:

meatPill wrote:

Depends on what you want from the game. I would argue that learning to time the morph bombs might be more rewarding than mashing a rocket pack button and sticking explosives to things by mashing another. To each their own.

Or this:

Edited on by Neoproteus

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bezerker99

34. Posted:

Morph ball bombs...but only while Samus is a morph ball? That's fine. That's how it's always been since the first Metroid. :-P

Now....Samus, from Other M, only able to shoot Missile's in 1st Person? That's the quintessential definition of abomination. :O

"And [Sting!!!], I'm not coming to show YOU or anyone else who the better wrestler is. I'm coming...to hurt you...for real...for a long, looong time. WOOOOO!!!" - 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
AC:NL Dream Address: 4400-2611-9546
My Bird Mania Christmas 3D review

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2506-5820 | Nintendo Network ID: bezerker99 | Twitter: bezerker99

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Undead_terror

35. Posted:

Forget about all of those sissy bombs, get a nuke!

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
The graveyard | Reviewer at eshop gurus | Owner and reviewer at Droid gurus | Public chat | Forums

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage
Avatar

meatPill

36. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

meatPill wrote:

Depends on what you want from the game. I would argue that learning to time the morph bombs might be more rewarding than mashing a rocket pack button and sticking explosives to things by mashing another. To each their own.

Or this:

See now that's rewarding, it's how I get up on my roof to clean the gutters. Ladders are too hazardous.

Currently juggling too many games:Dota 2, Mario Sunshine, Zombie-U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Battlefield 3 PC, Age of Empires II HD, Path of Exile, Luigi's Mansion(GC), Metroid Prime 2, Don't Starve.

Nintendo Network ID: meatPill

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

37. Posted:

undead_terror wrote:

Forget about all of those sissy bombs, get a nuke!

Or better yet... a POWER NUKE!

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

True_Hero

38. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

undead_terror wrote:

Forget about all of those sissy bombs, get a nuke!

Or better yet... a POWER NUKE!

...At which point you've defeated the purpose of the game: exploration. :P

Anyways, I don't think being able to chuck bombs or crawling would be very useful once you've been latched onto by a Metroid. Good luck getting a bomb in it now. ;)

Edited on by True_Hero

-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

39. Posted:

The power ball is explainable so now its lame?..ok then D:
It was hardly an inventive creation in the first place - born of laziness. :3

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

brooks83

40. Posted:

Game Theory is lame.

brooks83