Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 15,210

JoyBoy

Now I just hope the music in this game is awesome, like in Wind Waker, where it didn't bother you that much that you had to travel so far because of it. And pls don't interupt the music with a battle theme just because there's one pesky goblin nearby. That's quite annoying... Maybe only when there is actual danger nearby.

So looking forward playing this game!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Haru17

Spanjard wrote:

Now I just hope the music in this game is awesome, like in Wind Waker, where it didn't bother you that much that you had to travel so far because of it. And pls don't interupt the music with a battle theme just because there's one pesky goblin nearby. That's quite annoying... Maybe only when there is actual danger nearby.

So looking forward playing this game!

I agree 100% about the battle themes interrupting. That annoyed me so much in Skyrim and past 3D Zelda games; just let the beautiful music play or at least give us the option to enable that.

I hope they can get the orchestral soundtrack to be as great as the midi tunes from Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword just didn't do it for me outside of the ballad of the goddess, I think it was too upbeat for my taste without enough cacophonous or epic themes. The flying theme really grated after a while.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

JoyBoy

The flying theme was a Mario Galaxy ripoff But I agree, the music in SS didn't do much for me in general.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Spoony_Tech

Haru17 wrote:

I have to say we have an amazing lineup of items and mechanics thus far; the improved horse and bow, the first 3D button-controlled sword combat since 2006, bomb arrows, and the deku leaf in the guise of the sail cloth. Other favorites I'd love to see return would be the elemental arrows, mirror shield, and hookshot & bombs (which are always present). Need I remind you all that the horseback bomb throwing feature from Twilight Princess will likely be returning =D

Where was it confirmed that the sword would be button controlled?

For the record I loved the motion controlled combat of Skyward Sword. The combat was the best the series had and anything less will feel like a step back. I never had one problem with it, not one.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

iKhan

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

I have to say we have an amazing lineup of items and mechanics thus far; the improved horse and bow, the first 3D button-controlled sword combat since 2006, bomb arrows, and the deku leaf in the guise of the sail cloth. Other favorites I'd love to see return would be the elemental arrows, mirror shield, and hookshot & bombs (which are always present). Need I remind you all that the horseback bomb throwing feature from Twilight Princess will likely be returning =D

For the record I loved the motion controlled combat of Skyward Sword. The combat was the best the series had and anything less will feel like a step back. I never had one problem with it, not one.

Loved SS's motion controls, but I hated the combat. I didn't like the way it was only focused on directionality and nothing else. I'd rather them add directionality to the formula of Zelda combat than make it the only important element.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Nicolai

iKhan wrote:

Loved SS's motion controls, but I hated the combat. I didn't like the way it was only focused on directionality and nothing else. I'd rather them add directionality to the formula of Zelda combat than make it the only important element.

Just curious, what other elements would you have included other than directionality? In my opinion, one of the key elements in combat is timing, and I remember many enemies in Skyward Sword based on looking for an opening, especially those able to be stunned by a shield-bash.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

ClockworkMario

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

The problem is that it wouldn't really look good to have a last-gen controller as mandatory on their brand spankin' new flagship title, and wouldn't make business sense either, as it would limit the already quite small Wii U audience even further. I don't think they'll offer both controller settings, as the motion controls require much work on coding, enemy desings etc. There are other ways to expand the swordplay, as Twilight Princess showed with the hidden skills. Besides, from what we've seen, archery seems to play a much bigger role in Zelda U, perhaps even superseding swordplay as the main combat method.

Currently on the plate:
Mount and Blade: Warband – Napoleonic Wars
Chivalry
Super Mario 3D World – Finishing the last few levels.
Mario Kart 8

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1586-9129

Nicolai

ClockworkMario wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

The problem is that it wouldn't really look good to have a last-gen controller as mandatory on their brand spankin' new flagship title, and wouldn't make business sense either, as it would limit the already quite small Wii U audience even further. I don't think they'll offer both controller settings, as the motion controls require much work on coding, enemy desings etc. There are other ways to expand the swordplay, as Twilight Princess showed with the hidden skills. Besides, from what we've seen, archery seems to play a much bigger role in Zelda U, perhaps even superseding swordplay as the main combat method.

You have a fair point, and I do think that if motion controls were to be implemented, it would be optional. One idea they might implement is to offer a kind of button-based sword combat where you can still control the direction of the slash with more flexibility. That would allow for more enemies that can be fought with both kinds of control-schemes.

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

iKhan

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Just curious, what other elements would you have included other than directionality? In my opinion, one of the key elements in combat is timing, and I remember many enemies in Skyward Sword based on looking for an opening, especially those able to be stunned by a shield-bash.

Timing and dodging. I didn't feel like SS really involved that much beyond the shield bash. And let's be real, the shield bash was broken, to the point you didn't have to bother with anything else if you used it.

Most enemies in SS stayed open for a long period of time. Also, just for the record, some of SS's enemies were horrible at telegraphing which direction you had to slash them. If a Lizalfos is holding it's guard arm low and diagonally, which direction exactly are you supposed to slash them in? In the same direction it's holding it's arm? Or maybe perpendicular from above, I never really got that.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

ClockworkMario wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Actually altering the combat to expand the sword play is a lot tougher than just coding motion controls as a secondary option.

Nicolai

iKhan wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Timing and dodging. I didn't feel like SS really involved that much beyond the shield bash. And let's be real, the shield bash was broken, to the point you didn't have to bother with anything else if you used it.

Most enemies in SS stayed open for a long period of time. Also, just for the record, some of SS's enemies were horrible at telegraphing which direction you had to slash them. If a Lizalfos is holding it's guard arm low and diagonally, which direction exactly are you supposed to slash them in? In the same direction it's holding it's arm? Or maybe perpendicular from above, I never really got that.

Well, in real combat, you don't want to telegraph your weakspots. To, me, that just makes them harder to figure out, and half the fun of Zelda combat is the "figuring out" of your enemies like the other puzzles in the game.

I don't want to defend Skyward Sword as being totally perfect, though, as I have played many other games with deeper combat mechanics. If Zelda Wii U were to add complexity to combat, that would only make it better. Imagine if not every enemy of the same species behaved in exactly the same way! There would be bokoblins that looked the same, had the same equipment, but with 3-5 slightly different movesets and behavior. That would really add to the feel of a living, breathing game! Because in real life, every living thing is unique!

Are there games that do that? There probably are, right?

Got married.

ReBirFh

My most anticipated mechaninc is the Hookshot, I just love this weapon and I hope it will be well used on this game. I want this Zelda to be big and open but not so open that it's population are just a bunch of generic randoms, I really like the fact that in every Zelda their population are memorable and have their own personalities.

Edit: I just finished playing Wind Waker HD (years ago I had stopped prior to the last boss to finish the sidequests and sold before finishing, this is a problem I'm trying to stop doing) and "thanks" to the low capacity of the gamepad's battery, I had to get my pro controller and just loved playing on my TV with pro controller while managing inventory and map on the gamepad, I hope Xenoblade and the new Zelda improve on this aspect because it was annyong to not be able to track waht I already acomplished on Wind Waker (the special charts are kind useless unless you have awesome memory)

(Sorry for my english)

Edited on by ReBirFh

ReBirFh

Darknyht

The thing that I've noticed and has been driving me crazy the past few days is that round shield. Does that mean we will see different swords, shields, bows (dare I say crossbow), and other equipment that allows a certain amount of customization? One of my favorite things about Wind Waker was the second playthrough with non-Link clothes. I get that Link reincarnates with Zelda and Ganon, but does that mean they have to dress the same each time?

Darknyht

Nintendo Network ID: DarKnyht

DefHalan

Darknyht wrote:

The thing that I've noticed and has been driving me crazy the past few days is that round shield. Does that mean we will see different swords, shields, bows (dare I say crossbow), and other equipment that allows a certain amount of customization? One of my favorite things about Wind Waker was the second playthrough with non-Link clothes. I get that Link reincarnates with Zelda and Ganon, but does that mean they have to dress the same each time?

I think it means Link will be able to use his shield like Captain America can

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

Darknyht wrote:

Upgradable swords and shields are nothing new to the Zelda series.

Octane

Henmii

"It's not really on-rails. Epona just runs straight ahead, and evades objects like trees, just like Agro did in Shadow of the Colossus iirc. If you want to turn left, you still have to move the control stick. You can also compare it to the King of the Red Lions in the Wind Waker; he's always moving when your sail is out and the wind is favourable, despite that, you have full control over him. Since the AI avoids small objects, you have to care less about where you're going, and you are given more time to manage your items, fight enemies, plan your next destination, etc"

Ah, I understand! Funny that you mention Shadow of the colossus though: The game really seems to be inspired by it!

Henmii

Haru17

I'm really excited to see what they can do with the hookshot too. For instance, can I hookshot up high, fall, and open the sailcloth? I really hope the sailcloth isn't too contextual, but rather is an item you can use at will.

LetsGoRetro

I'm really excited about the slow motion horse dismount. This could allow for some really cool fighting options. It can definitely be used as part of a boss battle (Have we ever had Epona during a boss battle? I think in Twlight Princess on the bridge, but I'm talking more about a boss in a large room and you run around it with Epona and dismount to hit various part of it to knock it down, freeze it, etc, typical Zelda stuff.

The slow motion dismount seemed to be created with creating a new angle of combat, which I'm excited for, as Zelda has always strived to have good swordplay (base on that Japanese swordplay style I'm going to butcher.. karibara? chabari? SOrry!) So any new options that allow for interesting combat is a plus for me. I would prefer epic, drawn out battles with less enemies vs. quick, easy battle with 30 chu chu's on my way to a dungeon. Altough, in certain areas it could be cool to have some Hyrule Warriors-style baddies that you chop through 100 at a time to get to a strong general in the middle of them.

LetsGoRetro

RR529

@LetsGoRetro, the only big boss fight I can think of that involved Epona was the 3rd phase of the Ganondorf fight in TP (where you had to avoid him long enough for Zelda to hit him with a light arrow, then ride up alongside him & hit him with your sword).

Expanding on that idea would be really cool.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Haru17

RR529 wrote:

@LetsGoRetro, the only big boss fight I can think of that involved Epona was the 3rd phase of the Ganondorf fight in TP (where you had to avoid him long enough for Zelda to hit him with a light arrow, then ride up alongside him & hit him with your sword).

Expanding on that idea would be really cool.

Well there was a couple of the king bulblin horseback battles and that phase in the Ganondorf boss battle.

I hope we can get a couple of Shadow of the Colossus-style huge boss battles in the open world, this time with bearable controls.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic