Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 7,961 to 7,980 of 15,201

Octane

@Dezzy Yeah, but the clouds in BOTW aren't just an image projected on an object either. Skyboxes are N64 material. They're still used today, but you get my point. BOTW has some fancy real-time rendered clouds.

Octane

Dezzy

Meowpheel wrote:

Skybox is just the name. It doesn't necessarily indicate the shape or method.

That's not true at all. Skybox, skydome and skysphere are all used distinctly. If you search the technical literature and forums, all 3 are used quite often. For example:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&io...
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&io...

The reason you hear skybox a lot more than the other 2 is because they're used a lot more. The ratio between them is something like 90:9:1 Box:Dome:Sphere

But they really are just textured boxes
Untitled

and textured domes:

Untitled

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Eel

Oh so I guess people do call them differently based on shape.

Still. A "box" is still made out of polygons, so what I said before is still valid.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

Polygon is actually a 2D shape. A 3D box is made of 6 polygons.

I'm sure this correcting the moderators thing will work out well for me

Dezzy

I moderated a forum at one point and was always tempted to go back and change things, without leaving a trace, to make people look like idiots. Like they were replying to things that hadn't been asked.
I never did find out why they asked someone else to do it in my place....

Haru17

Nicolai wrote:

So, in other words, you"re saying you didn't like Sky Keep from Skyward Sword because Skyloft didn't look like it could fit a dungeon inside of it?

No, I thought the spacial relation was fine. There is just no visual indication that Skykeep could physically shift its internal structure around. That's what I mean by "disconnected."

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

Spatial realism (it could be called) has improved a lot in games in recent years. Probably because of more open world stuff so there's fewer separately loaded areas.

This is one of my favourite examples. This door in Bloodborne that they ended up leaving locked permanently was still designed to line-up with another part of the world. Which they didn't need to do at all: (first 1 minute of video)

Haru17

Wot if you fought the Steppe Talus with that giant magnesis boulder?

Brothers: A Tale of Two Rocks

IndieWriter

Haru17 wrote:

But anyway, I would love underwater combat to return. One of my greatest gaming fantasies — which could be satisfied by Zelda, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, or Elder Scrolls — is to dive into an undersea abyss in a mostly-terrestrial, fantasy-set game. That coastal region of Breath of the Wild gives me hope for an undersea water temple. Something you have to upgrade your breathing and swimming to make it to.

It just sounds so awesome to dive far beneath the ocean and have the light fade as you enter a trench. Then, to see a bioluminescent glow as you're swimming through the dark and swim into ancient flooded ruins.

You know, Sakurai actually did that with Kid Icarus Uprising. There's a level that you have to go under the sea to enter, and there's an awesome moment when the water is literally parted by a god.
That level was freaking awesome.

IndieWriter

Nicolai

Haru17 wrote:

But anyway, I would love underwater combat to return. One of my greatest gaming fantasies — which could be satisfied by Zelda, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, or Elder Scrolls — is to dive into an undersea abyss in a mostly-terrestrial, fantasy-set game. That coastal region of Breath of the Wild gives me hope for an undersea water temple. Something you have to upgrade your breathing and swimming to make it to.

It just sounds so awesome to dive far beneath the ocean and have the light fade as you enter a trench. Then, to see a bioluminescent glow as you're swimming through the dark and swim into ancient flooded ruins

You know where the perfect place for that to take place is? A certain skull-shaped lake near Death Mountain.
Untitled

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

TuVictus

I wonder if that map is still accurate. And if it is, it's smaller than I imagined. Which I guess I don't mind as long as there's environment variety which there is.

TuVictus

Octane

@Operative It is! You can overlay the map with the map from the E3 footage. That one is mostly blacked out, but it shows the borders of the provinces, and they line up perfectly with rivers and other landmarks in the old map. For reference; The Great Plateau is located between the big lake (Lake Hylia?) in the southern part and the three smaller lakes located north-west of that big lake. Looking at the map, it doesn't seem to be big at all, but I believe it's bigger than GTAV, The Witcher 3 (Velen I presume) and Skyrim combined.

Octane

TuVictus

Oh, then maybe the player icon is just much much bigger than the actual player on the ground lol

TuVictus

Octane

@Operative Yeah, it is. The icons don't scale with the map. The distance in between the marker and the player is probably just a little under the width of the Great Plateau.

Octane

TuVictus

Great then! I'm looking forward to the vibrant colors of each area

TuVictus

Haru17

And I'm looking forward to the crushing darkness of Link's souuuullllll.

Haru17

I've been feeling a bit cynical about Breath of the Wild's ever-present mist since it was properly revealed. However, after playing Skyrim remastered again this week, I'm more hopeful for the breath of the wild (improper noun).

I just hope they use the fog as beautifully as it was used in Skyrim or Fallout 4: Far Harbor. It should bend and weave from high mountains to low-lying fields in different shapes and forms. In Skyrim, mist blows off of every mountain peak and rises from every waterfall and campfire (okay technically that last one's smoke but the effect looks like mist so you take my point). I want Zelda mist like that. I want Zelda mist that don't quit.

Untitled

(Jeez was it ever hard to refrain from typing "Myst" in this post.)

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic