Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 721 to 740 of 15,210

Grumblevolcano

@SpookyMeths So by that logic, Wind Waker HD's sales will be better than Zelda U's sales.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

SpookyMeths wrote:

The Legend of Zelda (NES 1986): 6.51 million
The Adventure of Link (NES 1987): 4.38 million (33% drop)

Ocarina of Time (N64 1998): 7.6 million
Majora's Mask (N64 2000): 3.36 million (56% drop)

Wind Waker (GCN 2002): 4.6 million
Twilight Princess (GCN 2006): 1.59 million (65% drop)

Twilight Princess (Wii 2006): 6.98 million
Skyward Sword (Wii 2011): 3.78 million (45% drop)

Every first Zelda game on a console has greatly outsold the latter, usually around 2x. The best hold was Zelda II, which was a quick sequel that was released while the NES was still in its prime. Even that was outsold by Link to the Past though, an early SNES game. At the time, there would have been like 10x the NESs on the market than there were SNESs, yet ALttP outsold Zelda II. Everyone always rushes to every console's first Zelda game, but usually it's just the core fanbase that sticks around for the second.

There are multiple reasons why the first console Zelda game has outsold the second one every single time. Undoubtedly because it's the first Zelda game, and more gamers than just the general Zelda fanbase want to get the ''first Zelda'' game. And although it's true that there are more consoles around by the time the second Zelda releases, there are also a lot more games to compete with. Plus there's the fact that MM required the expansion pack, and SS required Motion Plus.

I think that the Wind Waker vs Twilight Princess is an unfair comparison. Twilight Princess was originally released as a Wii launch game. I'd imagine only a select few people who bought the Wii version, also went back to get the GameCube version weeks later. Ergo, if the Wii version didn't exist, I'm sure the numbers for its GameCube sales would've been a little higher.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Atariboy

Perfect Dark essentially mandated the expansion pack. There wasn't a heck of a lot that you could do without it.

Atariboy

CanisWolfred

You're talking about Wiimotion plus - a "peripheral" that more or less became standard soon after it was introduced. By late 2011 I couldn't even find regular plusless Wiimotes anymore. I doubt that would've been a huge issue.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

CanisWolfred wrote:

You're talking about Wiimotion plus - a "peripheral" that more or less became standard soon after it was introduced. By late 2011 I couldn't even find regular plusless Wiimotes anymore. I doubt that would've been a huge issue.

By the time Motion Plus was introduced, a big part of the casual audience had their Wiis set up as a dust collector. I doubt many of them would go through the trouble of getting another Wii Remote just to play another game. I don't think it made a huge difference, but as I said before, it's the combination of multiple causes that has led to the lesser sales of SS.

Octane

cookiex

Octane wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

By the time Motion Plus was introduced, a big part of the casual audience had their Wiis set up as a dust collector. I doubt many of them would go through the trouble of getting another Wii Remote just to play another game.

The 32m+ sales of Wii Sports Resort says otherwise.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Octane

cookiex wrote:

Octane wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

By the time Motion Plus was introduced, a big part of the casual audience had their Wiis set up as a dust collector. I doubt many of them would go through the trouble of getting another Wii Remote just to play another game.

As I said; ''I don't think it made a huge difference, it's the combination of multiple causes that has led to the lesser sales of SS.''

Edited on by Octane

Octane

cookiex

Octane wrote:

cookiex wrote:

Octane wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

As I said; ''I don't think it made a huge difference, it's the combination of multiple causes that has led to the lesser sales of SS.''

You said one of the causes was that people didn't want to go through the trouble of getting another remote just to play another game, except by the time SS was relevant they already did in droves. Anyone that had Wii Sports Resort could play Skyward Sword.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

spizzamarozzi

I think the "real" Zelda fanbase, meaning people who would buy a new Zelda game even if gets panned by critics or gets zero advertising, is rather small - probably around 3 million users? Skyward Sword performed incredibly well considering most of the people forgot about Wii or already gave away their system by the time the game was released (4 million copies for a very late release is not bad at all).

I believe most of modern gamers know about Zelda and know it's a very good serie but haven't played it. That's why, with every generation, the first Zelda sells a lot to newcomers who are curious. The interest of course dies out in the five years between one release and the other. I have a couple of friends who started playing Zelda with the release of Twilight Princess, because it was the "new game you know you have to have". They both really liked it but probably not to the point of buying Skyward Sword on release - one of them sold his Wii in the meantime. The other couldn't accept that you have to kill all the enemies in one room to unlock the doors or make a chest appear. We take for granted that everybody wants and likes Zelda, so if one episode doesn't sell it's because of the quality or the peripheral, but this is not true. The timing is much more important.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

shingi_70

That begs the question why this timing doesn't really effect other series like Halo, Mario, or the elder scrolls.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

spizzamarozzi

shingi_70 wrote:

That begs the question why this timing doesn't really effect other series like Halo, Mario, or the elder scrolls.

well of course there are a number of franchises that don't need the "new console hype" to sell and can generate a hype of their own. GTA comes to mind, whose sales keep getting better and better with each installment. When GTAV came out, it was advertised as the game that puts an end to all games and the audience perceived it as the top technology could offer and light years ahead of GTAIV (even though they are on the same platform!). I remember seeing ads on buses and trains, and I'm from Rome - not NYC or Tokyo, so we've never seen that kind of stuff for a videogame over here.

On the other hand, the audience sees every first Zelda as the best Nintendo has to offer (attractive), while every second Zelda for each console has been advertised as "more of the same, with improvements" - not exactly enough to attract the people outside the fanbase.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

-Juice-

@spizzamarozzi Which is rather humorous if you think about it. Compare OoT to MM. Compare TP to SS. As it goes, the second game always changes things up on a large scale for better or for the worst.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Octane

shingi_70 wrote:

Mario Galaxy outsold Galaxy 2 by almost 4 million copies. The Elder Scrolls and Halo are both multiplat games, perhaps that might influence their sales somehow as well?

[edit]: I just checked to see how other exclusive [Nintendo] games fare in comparison to each other:

Metroid Prime sold more copies than Metroid Prime 2.
Prime 3 outsold Other M.
Pikmin outsold Pikmin 2, both the original NGC version and the New Play Control! version.
Epic Yarn, again, sold more copies than Return to Dreamland.
DKC > DKC2 > DKC3.
Pokémon Stadium > Pokémon Stadium 2.
Pokémon Colosseum > Pokémon XD.
Mario Party > Mario Party 2 > Mario Party 3.
Mario Party 4 > MP5 > MP6 > MP7.
Mario Party 8 > MP9.

It seems to be inevitable among Nintendo games.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Blast

Legend of Zelda U and a good Metriod game for Wii U are the same 2 games I keep hearing Xbox and Sony only users demand for Wii U. Zelda U is making interest grow in the Wii U and Metriod will hopefully be at E3 2015

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

shingi_70

Octane wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Mario Galaxy outsold Galaxy 2 by almost 4 million copies. The Elder Scrolls and Halo are both multiplat games, perhaps that might influence their sales somehow as well?

[edit]: I just checked to see how other exclusive [Nintendo] games fare in comparison to each other:

Prime 3 outsold Other M.
Pikmin outsold Pikmin 2, both the original NGC version and the New Play Control! version.
DKC > DKC2 > DKC3.
Mario Party 8 > MP9.

Halo isn't Multiplatform.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Storytime7

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

@spizzamarozzi Which is rather humorous if you think about it. Compare OoT to MM. Compare TP to SS. As it goes, the second game always changes things up on a large scale for better or for the worst.

OoT changed just as much as MM.

Storytime7

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5304-9315 | Nintendo Network ID: storytime7

spizzamarozzi

There's a ton of examples of games that have outsold their predecessor on the same console, and just as much games that have sold less, so it's kinda pointless to follow this route. To me, it all comes down to desiderability. Whenever Nintendo releases a new console, the new Zelda is THE game to have - everybody knows that, even people who have never played TLoZ. I know a number of (at the time) newcomers who have started with OoT and a number who have started with TP because...it's natural: they were released at the peak of the consoles lifespan and generated the most interest because they used new technologies. I don't know many people whose first game was MM or SS (although they must exist somewhere). The two follow-ups that matter (MM & SS) were released very late in the console lifespan and they were just "the new Zelda" rather than "THE NEW ZELDA ON THE NEW SYSTEM WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY AND THE NEW CONTROLLER".

Add to that that maybe TLoZ can be a bit unforgiving for newcomers because some of its conventions are almost 30 years old now, so maybe a number of people who got, say, TP out of curiosity didn't like it enough to get SS. I dunno. Is there anyone on here who started with a modern 3D Zelda game and didn't like it enough to get the following entries?!

Much more interesting would be to know how many copies does a new home console TLoZ have to sell in order to be considered worth the effort.

dumedum

shingi_70 wrote:

Octane wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

Prime 3 outsold Other M.
DKC > DKC2 > DKC3.
Mario Party 8 > MP9.

Some of it is. PC.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Octane

shingi_70 wrote:

My bad, I thought the Halo franchise was released on PC as well.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic