Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 6,201 to 6,220 of 15,201

Haru17

The Minish Cap isn't happening in an open world game unless Nintendo has a thing for killing themselves with work.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

Tsurii wrote:

Having the cap itself could work if they restrict it to specific areas but it wouldn't be any more than a gimmick to add some variety to the exploration in that case.

And I wouldn't want it to become something like that, part of why Minish Cap was so good was how well implemented that whole size thing was, it actually changed the gameplay up, but that only worked because the world as a whole was very...focused and they didn't have to design all of it with the cap in mind. You just can't do that in an open world game like they did in Minish Cap unless you want to be an overly ambitious moron and waste tons of money and workhours.

Yeah, it's mostly about theming. You can make shrinking work in an open world game, but for a game aiming to expand the series outward like Zelda U is, it just doesn't make sense to then focus in on individual blades of grass. The game will read cleaner if it tells the player 'ride out and explore' and not 'slow down and zoom in here' or, for that matter, 'meticulously scour the landscape for invisible collectables' with the lens of truth.

SKTTR

The Minish Cap would work in openworld. If they make it like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Link in normal size would be the same as "sitting in a Skell of Xeno X", and Link in mini would be when you're leaving the Skell. And it would work anywhere, except if you're already tiny and inside a cave (can't get back to normal size then obviously). It just needs a change in appearance, but the Xeno X graphics engine should work.

And turning the formula around an adventure with Link and the Mask of Giants would be possible as well.

PS. I want Skulltullas back.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Eel

I know, let's bring back the minish cap, the rod of Seasons, the harp of Ages, the ocarina of time, the wolf, the loftwings, that flute from spirit tracks, boats, the dark world, merging into walls, Marin, subrosia, the seed shooter, the cane of Somaria, the cane of byrna, the cane of Pacci, Nayru's love, Din's fire, Farore's wind, the transformation masks, the fairy companions (all of them), midna, the oocca, burning bushes with a candle, the spinner, Fi, the four sword, the phantom Hourglass, a recurring dungeon for the phantom Hourglass, "Them", the stamina gauge, bees, item rental and regular items from dungeons, Sheik, 2d platforming, tips in broken English, every minor character from Ocarina of Time, the four guardian giants, the spirits of light, the fire and ice rod, the seed satchel, both maku trees, the Deku Tree, gorons, zoras, their tunics, every enemy from every game, all Ganon incarnations and Linkle.

This will be the best game ever!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

nf_2

@SKTTR That's feasible, but the implementation in XCX was built around on-foot stuff first as opposed to the other way around. That, and the Skells didn't really change the landscape all that much thanks to their size, just your ability to reach more of the landscape.

Now if we want to go full time Giant's Mask however....

nf_2

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4745-0158 | Nintendo Network ID: Sajak19

Grumblevolcano

@Meowpheel Instead just bring back Tingle and call the game The Legend of Tingle!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

nf_2

@Meowpheel We're going to need your moderator badge, and your banhammer. You can try to keep your dignity.

nf_2

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4745-0158 | Nintendo Network ID: Sajak19

Haru17

Alright, that's enough cyberbullying Meowph.

Dezzy

SKTTR wrote:

The Minish Cap would work in openworld. If they make it like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Link in normal size would be the same as "sitting in a Skell of Xeno X", and Link in mini would be when you're leaving the Skell. And it would work anywhere, except if you're already tiny and inside a cave (can't get back to normal size then obviously). It just needs a change in appearance, but the Xeno X graphics engine should work.

That's a good reason why it wouldn't work. I'm gonna be controversial and say that the Skells really don't add anything to Xenoblade X. They're a cool novelty to start with but once you're used to them, they've really not added much. Quicker travel wasn't really necessary when you have fast travel. So all they really do is let you reach a few more areas. Well there are other ways to do that that don't involve a change of scale! (making those new areas feel bigger when you get there).

The same general logic would apply to mini-Link.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Indy83

Dezzy wrote:

That's a good reason why it wouldn't work. I'm gonna be controversial and say that the Skells really don't add anything to Xenoblade X. They're a cool novelty to start with but once you're used to them, they've really not added much. Quicker travel wasn't really necessary when you have fast travel. So all they really do is let you reach a few more areas. Well there are other ways to do that that don't involve a change of scale! (making those new areas feel bigger when you get there).

This is really swiss cheesy... Your logic really doesn't support your opinion.

That's a good reason why it wouldn't work. I'm gonna be controversial and say that the Skells really don't add anything to Xenoblade X.

Well you got one right.

They're a cool novelty to start with but once you're used to them, they've really not added much. Quicker travel wasn't really necessary when you have fast travel.

So... by when you just start and until you get used to them you must mean from the beginning of the game until you explore every single area in the game. Fast travel only works for areas the player has already discovered on their own. So until the player has seen the entire game world, the ability to cover land faster is not made obsolete by the fast travel feature.

So all they really do is let you reach a few more areas.

This is the very core concept a very large amount of the greatest games ever made use as their basis, including Zelda's founding design concept.... The fact you are attempting to use this as a dismissal is... sad in a disappointing way. I feel if your generation involved problem solving and critical thinking with the same priority in games as previous generations... This kind of thing would not happen this often.

No, no it would not. You are actually backwards now on every single 'argument' you made except accessing new areas.

Thats not to say this would be a slam dunk addition to Zelda U, as it comes with a huge host of problems minish cap didnt have to deal with. However, your logic is completely off base.

And lastly, the fact you knew this would be controversial really should have given you a moment to think more in depth on what the problem really was, and whether you were adressing the actual problem, or just scape goating the first thing you could think of.

The skell traversal in X was brilliantly done, every aspect of traversal in that game was brilliantly done on a mechanical level. You can tell this is true for the vast majority of people as this is 99% of all miiverse posts, people taking pictures of the cool places they got to, and raving about how much fun they have just getting there. The incremental traversal upgrades were handled very well, to the point they are on eof the main draws of the game. Just moving around, and then moving around in a skell, and then flying with the skell.

The game world was well designed with tons of places to find depending on your traversal capabilities, and plenty of new places to discover in any area, including the very beginning of the game and the city. The traversal was not a problem in the slightest, skells were great, people adored traversing in them, and out of them. That is not a problem. Mechanically, its a slam dunk.

The problem was the games progression design. It completely and absolutely made anything the player did, anywhere they went, and everything they discovered completely and absolutely irrelevant and pointless.

After you used your wits and skills to get to an area, that was it, you cant do anything because the entire games progression structure is tied to missions and levels. That means no matter where you go, or what you find, its pointless. Oh you found one of the life holds? Doesnt matter. Games going to pretend it doesnt exist for 12 hours until you unlock the mission and activate it, and then its going to pretend you never saw it. Oh you found a mysterious cave with huge vault in it? Doesnt matter. The games going to pretend it doesn't exist until you unlock and activate the mission from Neo LA. Oh, and if you do manage to makie your way into high level territory with sneaking skills that put Solid Snake to shame, and you do manage to engage and defeat a much higher level enemy, it doesnt matter, you wont be able to equip the drops until 20-30 hours later when you are the right level.

Tee original Xenoblade didn't do this at all. The game was full of multi layered rewards for the curious and skillful. Making your way into territory meant for higher levels got the player all kinds of early rewards that were super rewarding. From finding treasure chests (No, not the ones enemies dropped the ones that were placed on the world map) to high level armor and weapon drops, player skill curiosity and agency were constantly rewarded. Thats why the original game felt so engaging, while the sequel has large chunks of tedium and frusteration. Not the Mechs, not scale changes, but progression design.

Gaining access to new areas is the founding design philosophy of Zelda, it is the foundation the rest of the game is built upon. Not only do you NEED it, but dismissing it as you have so callously done will destroy the entire game.

The new Zelda needs at least 8, well done things that 'Are just for getting to new areas', that had better be more engaging than western 'Press A to use McGuffin at McGuffin symbol and watch animation" context sensitive garbage, or its going to be a gimmicky failure of a Zelda game.

Edited on by Indy83

Indy83

Haru17

Indy83 wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

This is the very core concept a very large amount of the greatest games ever made use as their basis, including Zelda's founding design concept.... The fact you are attempting to use this as a dismissal is... sad in a disappointing way. I feel if your generation involved problem solving and critical thinking with the same priority in games as previous generations... This kind of thing would not happen this often.

The amount of putting on airs in this paragraph is disgusting. Like, wow, though.

Dezzy

Indy83 wrote:

Lol. You appear to have just guessed my age. Ok. Well that's....new.
Not only that, you guessed my age as an invalid way (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem) of criticising a position that I didn't actually take.
If you go back and read the next sentence of my comment, you'll see that I wasn't actually saying a method for accessing new areas is bad. I was saying that having something specific like a scale-change to access new areas is unnecessary, because there are so many other ways to do that. Like in every Zelda game.
So yeah, well done.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TheXReturns

I'd actually like to see the McGuffins do stuff other than sit on the collection screen and look pretty.
Like, Skyward Sword actually handled the dungeon McGuffins quite well, as the Maps opened up new areas (But I wouldn't want a return to this style, not without making the maps interlink), and the Sword Upgrades were, well, Sword Upgrades. What I don't want to see is anything in the style of the Stones/Medallions from Ocarina, which just sat on the collection screen, and opened one door each, to allow the game to move onwards.

I'd just like to see some collectables that actually DO stuff.

The Twilight Mirror gets a small pass, as it at least created the bosses, but that still could've been handled better.

The sort of thing I'm thinking (and this will sound like a really bad fanfic, so sorry in advance, but it's the first thing I could think of to make my point.) is if you the boss of a lategame dungeon, in addition to providing you with the dungeon's item, also provided you with a locksmith's key, to fill in the place of the McGuffin, to, I dunno, bust some people out of captivity? The key could then be used on specific locked doors around the overworld, but not in dungeons (as no key fits every lock).

I dunno, even having a mystical item that unlocks doors, or changed things in the overworld, would be better than just having things that sit on your collection screen and do absolutely nothing.

Sigh. Just reading my own comment makes me cringe, but I hope it gets my point across.

EDIT: (Forgot to watch the topic...)

A puzzle solved is its own reward.

My Nintendo: TheXReturns | Nintendo Network ID: TheXReturns

Haru17

@TheXReturns Don't worry: All we ever do here is write bad fanfics. Mine involves flowers. Flowers and moon beams (which, I admit, open doors).

TheXReturns

@Haru17 I just couldn't quite work out how to get my point across without using a made-up example. It'd be hard to think of ideas to implement, but I think if they did it (which they probably won't, because for every SS Sword Upgrade, there's a SS Song of the Hero...), it would really make the world feel more alive.

veeflames

Is there any form of metal in the Zelda games? OK, I guess most armor in Zelda games are made of metal, but is metal a rare commodity in Zelda games? That would explain the lack of metal materials.
Just a thought.. hey, at least it's different from talking about grass. Lots and lots of grass.
@TheXReturns Don't kill me please, but what's a McGuffin? Sounds too... non-Zelda-ey.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

SKTTR

@Dezzy

Duh, you ignore my most important point!
The Skulltullas, man!
You can't deny that the beloved crawling noises have to be in Zelda again, at some point. For ever!!

@VeeFlames

There are materials in Skyward Sword with which you can forge better shields and stuff.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

TheXReturns

@Vee_Flames A McGuffin is an item that only exists to be a plot device. In the case of TLoZ, most of the items you get by beating the bosses are like McGuffins, like the Spiritual Stones from Ocarina, which serve to move the plot along, and nothing else. I'd prefer to beat the bosses to actually get useful items, like Keys (Like the DQIX key system, where you pick up keys to unlock an increasing number of doors), or Warping abilities, or even Bosses using a new item, which you can then use to get to new areas, which would include the next dungeon.

Or even using the useless trinkets, as long as they did SOMETHING, like increase your Magic Meter or something...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic