Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 4,841 to 4,860 of 15,210

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

Let me be clear here; there is NO reason for Link to not have the option to be female, black, fat, transgendered, or any other type of human under the sun other than the collection of pre-existing, highly-illogical biases commonly referred to as sexism, racism, transphobia, etcetera.

Let me clear up your clarity.
Every time someone uses these silly scarewords incorrectly, they lose more of their power for the times when they need to be used to describe actual problems.
When people like myself have repeatedly said we don't want them to change Link, but have also said that we think it'd be good if they had Zelda as a playable character (maybe for half of the game), the accusation of sexism, whilst already incredibly silly when being used to describe fictional beings, is clear completely vacuous.
I just don't want them to change Link for the same reason I don't want them to change Samus (once again, rather hard to derive sexism from this). Even if their personalities never influenced the games at all, these are recongnizable icons and there's an inherent value in that. Sex and race are completely incidental to that. I'd also be against them randomly giving Link black hair or making Samus really short an stocky. Unfortunately, there are no scary buzzwords you can use to try and demonize those examples, so you might have to risk accepting them.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Let me clear up your clarity.
Every time someone uses these silly scarewords incorrectly, they lose more of their power for the times when they need to be used to describe actual problems.
When people like myself have repeatedly said we don't want them to change Link, but have also said that we think it'd be good if they had Zelda as a playable character (maybe for half of the game), the accusation of sexism, whilst already incredibly silly when being used to describe fictional beings, is clear completely vacuous.
I just don't want them to change Link for the same reason I don't want them to change Samus (once again, rather hard to derive sexism from this). Even if their personalities never influenced the games at all, these are recongnizable icons and there's an inherent value in that. Sex and race are completely incidental to that. I'd also be against them randomly giving Link black hair or making Samus really short an stocky. Unfortunately, there are no scary buzzwords you can use to try and demonize those examples, so you might have to risk accepting them.

Dour hobbitism.

But I'm not using them as scare words. I simply don't see the logic in the against arguments, so I am forced to assume that they're driven by subconcious, illogical biases against gender, race, etc. (Which are much easier referred to by their less-wordy titles.)

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Nicolai

@Haru17: Careful, that could be easily paraphrased as "I don't understand the opposing side's argument, so I'm just going to assume it's sexism." You may not have meant that, but the way you said it, it sounded a little short-sided, tbh.

Operative wrote:

I would love to see Prince Zeldan and Ganondina if the user picks a female Link.

Or how about... Grannondorf!
Untitled

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

Nicolai wrote:

Careful, that could be easily paraphrased as "I don't understand the opposing side's argument, so I'm just going to assume it's sexism." You may not have meant that, but the way you said it, it sounded a little short-sided, tbh.

I see nothing wrong with denouncing silly arguments. People as a whole need to stop being stupid about physical diversity, making such a huge deal out of utterly minuscule differences. If one understands biology at all one recognizes that the difference is literally just shapes, shapes at the micro and macro level.

Or how about... Grannondorf!

Okay, okay, okay, that's really funny. 10/10, would pun again.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Nicolai

Haru17 wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

Careful, that could be easily paraphrased as "I don't understand the opposing side's argument, so I'm just going to assume it's sexism." You may not have meant that, but the way you said it, it sounded a little short-sided, tbh.

I see nothing wrong with renouncing silly arguments. People as a whole need to stop being stupid about physical diversity, making such a huge deal out of utterly minuscule differences. If one understands biology at all one recognizes that the difference is literally just shapes, shapes at the micro and macro level.

I can agree with that. That's one of the reasons I stayed out of the argument for this long. I just really wanted to post the Grannondorf thing

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Octane

@Kinan: I don't think anyone here has a problem with playing as a female character in a game...

Octane

Octane

Kinan wrote:

Octane: And I never said that, did I? : ) No, I gave an example of a larger problem that does not just pertain to playing Linkle instead of Link, but rather the larger discussion that's going on in the industry right now. With people annoyed or worried that a character like Linkle could be shoehorned into Zelda games only for the sake of appeasing the angry mob that claims Link always being the one to save Zelda is stereotyping.

Mind you, that's just my observations of some people's opinion of Linkle. I've said nothing about people not wanting to play Zelda or any other female character either. I'm part of a quite a decent group that's in favour of being able to play as Zelda for example and would love being able to play a game with her as the player character (heck, I highly prefer FemShep). But ever since I've decided to join in the apparent dustcloud kicked up from all the vehement disagreement going on in this topic, nobody has given me a single break when I'm trying to address anything or anyone when I'm either trying to inform or debate with someone because I perceive their statements to be incorrect.

Not sure whether you were referring to this thread or the industry in general.

Regarding this discussion, I think it's pretty clear that nobody here is sexist or has anything against playable female characters in video games. It all comes down to personal opinion on how we like to see video games designed.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

rallydefault

@Kinan: ... just move on, man. You've made enough assumptions about me, all baseless and indicative of your own insecurities and inability to defend your point. You were the first to start with the "platitudes," the "have a nice day " You are the one making blanket statements about "artists." Of course not every person on a development team is involved in the creative process, but there a few at the "top" who ARE, and my comments have and always were about those people. I even used specific names at certain points. You just don't want to see any of that. Every insult you throw at me is something you yourself are guilty of.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

CaviarMeths

Right, so gender options for Link - still a heated topic.

What's next on the pre-release Zelda argument agenda?

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Eel

SpookyMeths wrote:

Right, so gender options for Link - still a heated topic.

What's next on the pre-release Zelda argument agenda?

It's something about the over-sexualization of fish people and its effects on Hylian society. Or was that next week's theme?

Or we could go back to talk about grass, that's always nice!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Nicolai

@SpookyMeths: Well, we've got the "Ganondorf should be villain again" argument, motion controls vs traditional controls, where the game is on the timeline (which naturally progresses into why the timeline does or doesn't suck), whether it should be non-linear, whether it should be more story driven, general gimmick hate...

I mean, take your pick. They're all things we've discussed at least 3 times in the past, but I'm sure no one cares how many times we've had the moderators put up barricades the on this thread.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

-Green-

Man, I miss all the cool stuff. :/

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Nicolai

Ooh, ooh, I've got it! Let's talk about all of the different types of apples we'd be able to pick and eat!

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

-Green-

I like Red Apples. They could be a form of hearts, and regen health.

-Green-

Morpheel wrote:

They already are in a few games.

Are they?

Nicolai

@Aromaiden: Yuck! Not red delicious! My favorites are Gala and Granny Smith.

Got married.

rishisquid

@Aromaiden: Yep. It's funny, because I only know about them because of a previous discussion about apples on this thread They're apparently in ALttP and ALBW, but I've never seen them.

rishisquid

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic