Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 15,210

Haru17

Wait, @Bolt_Strike, you're saying that Majora's Mask and Wind Waker didn't differentiate themselves enough, or that they didn't have a consistent enough core. I think they both did both, though TWW was a little light on content for a Zelda game.

Ur syntax —> my brain:

Untitled

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CaviarMeths

I wouldn't mind Capcom doing another 2D Zelda. Oracle of Ages, Seasons, and Minish Cap were all better than EAD's last three 2D Zeldas.

And yeah, I'd dig a remake of the Oracle series as a trilogy as originally intended too, as I have an odd curiosity for things that are planned but get scrapped or drastically reduced for various reasons (see my user name).

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Bolt_Strike

Haru17 wrote:

Wait, @Bolt_Strike, you're saying that Majora's Mask and Wind Waker didn't differentiate themselves enough, or that they didn't have a consistent enough core. I think they both did both, though TWW was a little light on content for a Zelda game.

Ur syntax —> my brain:

Untitled

They didn't have a consistent enough core. The 3 day system, as I said earlier, interferes with the core gameplay too much and detracts from the exploration, and Wind Waker's level design is all over the place when it comes to exploration, the overworld and dungeons are pretty much opposite extremes.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Haru17

Yeah, Wind Waker was strange bed fellows, but it still worked. And Majora's Mask was ace, core and all; it just required a very slight amount of time management skills.

Bolt_Strike

Haru17 wrote:

And Majora's Mask was ace, core and all; it just required a very slight amount of time management skills.

Well like I said, time management skills and exploration don't really mix. Exploration requires you to take your time and move at your own pace.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

LzWinky

I don't think MM was bad in terms of exploration. I thought the 3 day cycle was plenty of time to explore.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tyranexx

Apparently, I need to avoid sleeping to keep track of this thread.

I wouldn't mind seeing what else Capcom can do with the Zelda series. I found Ages to be charming, and I've enjoyed what I have played of Minish Cap.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

veeflames

Blast wrote:

arronishere wrote:

Blast wrote:

Meanwhile Zelda U is in a corner and crying because lack of attention.

You keep saying that like it's a huge thing, it's a game that has been purposely hidden away for a shock and awe effect for when it's shown.

OR... it's being held captive by E3 2016.

Which is still technically a shock and awe effect, as arronishere said.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Haru17

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

And Majora's Mask was ace, core and all; it just required a very slight amount of time management skills.

Well like I said, time management skills and exploration don't really mix. Exploration requires you to take your time and move at your own pace.

Then how does survival horror exist?

Haru17

Minish Cap is the only 2D Zelda I actually like (haven't beaten the Oracles or Link's Awakening), I think because it's the only not-ugly one. GBA / early DS pixel art was just astoundingly beautiful and unequalled anywhere else.

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Haru17

kkslider5552000

irony about Majora's Mask is that once you know what you're doing the time mechanic is mostly a minor annoyance. The only reason it ever bothered me during the playthrough when I actually beat the game was that I was an idiot that thought I had enough time to do everything with the 3rd temple without resetting time.

Which is kind of amusing. I love time travel stories where the person going back in time is just "meh" towards it all after a while because it doesn't matter.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Nicolai

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

Wow, looks like my argument was eaten alive while I was asleep

@kkslider5552000: @Bolt_Strike: Perhaps I should make the point that none of those things I mentioned make Minish Cap a bad game. All I am saying is that Minish Cap, like many other Zelda games, have the feeling of using ALttP as a template, and Minish Cap doesn't. Minish Cap is still unique in countless ways, many of which are the really important things such as gameplay elements, features, and interaction with the world around you, as well as simply not featuring Ganon. But there are a number of things that remind me of ALttP as I play it, and you know that Capcom was looking closely at ALttP and OoT as they were making it. By contrast, Majora's Mask only uses the graphical engine and character models of OoT, but is different in almost every way.

Personally, this matters to me in video games. It may not to anyone else, but even if I get a vague feeling as playing the same game as before, I feel a bit redundant. I appreciate every asset that makes a game original.

And people say I have high standards when it comes to originality and innovation. There's nothing wrong with a template as long as they put a unique twist on it, and you actually need some consistency to ensure that the games retain what makes them good in the first place. Zelda doesn't really do this, and this is one reason why I'm turned off by several games in the series (Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and now Triforce Heroes being good examples). IMO it's better to vary things with gameplay elements like shrinking or merging into walls or what have you because those kinds of mechanics add something unique to the gameplay without detracting from the game's quality.

I disagree. As long as Zelda remains a 3D action puzzle game with sword-combat/archery, I want them to be as varied as possible. That's honestly what encouraged me to explore the rest of the series. I grew up with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and was amazed at how different they were. Later on, I picked up Phantom Hourglass, and that was even more different, and I had this misconception that the entire Zelda series consisted of almost unrelated sagas, hung together only by the character Link and the existence of adventure. This is partially true, but when I played games like Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, and A Link to the Past, I started getting reminded more and more of Ocarina of Time, and I was only slightly disappointed.

My philosophy is that, if something works in past Zelda games, then I will always have those games to enjoy what worked. For future games, I want to see what else works.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

All the canon Zelda games:

Untitled

Edited on by Haru17

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

Seems a bit outdated.

Therein lies the joke.

It is ironically missing Minish Cap, though. That's not even being outdated; just forgetful.

Edited on by Haru17

At_Lazuli

@Haru17: Looks like that hasnt been updated since 2006 when Twilight princess was released, or eles Skward Sword would be there
also majoras mask isnt a bad game persay its just not a game IM fond of the three day mechanic ruined it for me

The NX is going to be delayed to Holiday 2017 you heard it here first, also It should be pretty obvious what my favorite game of all time is cough Skyward Sword cough

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4150-0138 | Nintendo Network ID: CosmicLuigi83 | Twitter:

Haru17

Haru17 wrote:

Therein lies the joke.

TheMonadoSenpai wrote:

Looks like that hasnt been updated since 2006 when Twilight princess was released, or eles Skward Sword would be there
also majoras mask isnt a bad game persay its just not a game IM fond of the three day mechanic ruined it for me

Untitled

Edited on by antdickens

Tyranexx

Here's an interesting tidbit from ZI that I ran across in my Facebook feed earlier:

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/more-evidence-discovered-su...

Too soon or not, I'll still probably buy it.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

erv

With zelda nx being a while out, I think the twilight princess HD move is excellent. I love that game but I'll be honest - I'll only buy it if they updated the sound quality of it. That midi thing is what put me off from playing it again later. If they HD it and make it a hq sounding game, I'll be all over it.

I'm glad that those days are over. Skyward sword had excellent audio and I can't wait for zelda nx by both the looks and the sounds of it

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Haru17

Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess had the same audio quality...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic