Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 3,201 to 3,220 of 15,210

Octane

Kinan wrote:

Octane: I've always thought that those are the little details that make the world seem more real, exactly because things that we would expect to happen in the real world also happen in Wind Waker for example. It's one of the reasons I love the series.

I argee, things like that make a game sometimes more believable than realistic graphics.

Haru17 wrote:

Octane wrote:

I even recall that you can blow away the feathers of the Helmaroc King with your Deku Leaf, the feathers that are left after you defeat the boss. It's a little detail that I discovered a couple of years ago. It's something that you don't think about doing, but they went and programmed that in the game, despite knowing that most people would never know about this.

The boss rains down feathers when you kill it regardless of what weapon you used.

...and you can use your Deku Leaf to blow those feathers around after they have landed. For clarification, I'm talking about after you have defeated the boss.

Octane

Haru17

Octane wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Octane wrote:

I even recall that you can blow away the feathers of the Helmaroc King with your Deku Leaf, the feathers that are left after you defeat the boss. It's a little detail that I discovered a couple of years ago. It's something that you don't think about doing, but they went and programmed that in the game, despite knowing that most people would never know about this.

The boss rains down feathers when you kill it regardless of what weapon you used.

...and you can use your Deku Leaf to blow those feathers around after they have landed. For clarification, I'm talking about after you have defeated the boss.

Oh. That's what you mean. I never knew that, huh.

But yeah; that kind of physical, elemental realism is one of the reasons I first fell in love with Ocarina of Time. Bombs destroy rocks, hammers press down weighty switches, fire lights deku sticks, goes out in water, & burns away cobwebs & ice, the hookshoot sinks into wood, iron boots make you sink in water, and the ice arrows freeze water (maybe that was only in MM).

Anyway, the deku leaf as a whole was another great example of that, bringing wind into the equation along with fire and earth (and sometimes water). It blowing the grass over was always a great interaction. Not to mention how you could use the water vases to create hardened magma platforms.

Also, how the balance of bridges in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would shift as you cut their support ropes was always great to play with.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

Also, ALttP has a top-down perspective. UGH

Yes. A feature shared by many of the greatest video games ever created.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Octane

Haru17 wrote:

Also, how the balance of bridges in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess would shift as you cut their support ropes was always great to play with.

Was that also present in TP? I can't remember...

Octane

Blast

Yeah, Wind Waker was great... But the combat and some puzzles were garbage.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

CaviarMeths

Blast wrote:

Whaaaat. Wind Waker had best combat.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Nicolai

@SpookyMeths: Nah, when I played it on Wii U, I felt that too many enemies were "run up to it and mash B" enemies. The boss fights were really good, though, as well as some of the tougher enemies, but I feel like Zelda in general has too many enemies that just become general annoyances after a while.

Of course, some of you would say the same about Skyward Sword BECAUSE of the fact that it won't let you beat every little deku baba without thinking about it. But in my opinion, the fact that it always makes you think about which direction to slash reduces the mundanity of common enemies by a lot in the latter half of the game.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Blast

SpookyMeths wrote:

Blast wrote:

Hahahahaha how, my friend? Press Attack and dodge! That's all it was. It was only good during the last boss fight.

Master of the Hype Train

Octane

Blast wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Blast wrote:

Hahahahaha how, my friend? Press Attack and dodge! That's all it was. It was only good during the last boss fight.

Still better than Skyward Floppysword.

Octane

LzWinky

...most Zelda games are like that though

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Blast

Octane wrote:

Blast wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Blast wrote:

Still better than Skyward Floppysword.

Still worse than Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time's combat.

Master of the Hype Train

CaviarMeths

Morpheel wrote:

Huh, how?

It's pretty much the same, plus the random "press a to awesome".

The counter button. It put more emphasis on timing and attentiveness. There was also enemy weapons, which were kind of fun, but never really needed. The whole package was more polished than Ocarina of Time's combat too, better movement animations, better feel, etc. I like Ocarina of Time more overall, but Wind Waker definitely has better combat. And it was the last time, to me, that 3D Zelda combat didn't feel bloated or excessive.

Though Twilight Princess was probably the last bastion of good combat in mainstream action games before God of War and then Arkham Asylum came along and ruined everything forever.

Dezzy

SpookyMeths wrote:

then Arkham Asylum came along and ruined everything forever.

Oh please, that's such a "blame the originator" fallacy (and yes I just made that fallacy up). Arkham Asylum shouldn't be blamed for the fact that 100 games stole its fighting style and it became oversaturated. Blame those other games who were too lazy to do something original. If that fighting style had just remained in the Arkham series, it would've been fine.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Blast

Dezzy wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Oh please, that's such a "blame the originator" fallacy (and yes I just made that fallacy up). Arkham Asylum shouldn't be blamed for the fact that 100 games stole its fighting style and it became oversaturated. Blame those other games who were too lazy to do something original. If that fighting style had just remained in the Arkham series, it would've been fine.

Uhhh... Bayonetta 1 & 2 has the best combat in gaming. Not the overrated Batman games.

Master of the Hype Train

LzWinky

Bayonetta is a button masher...as in you mash the buttons hard to get that firey feeling of destroying enemies in a rage!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Blast

LztheQuack wrote:

Bayonetta is a button masher...as in you mash the buttons hard to get that firey feeling of destroying enemies in a rage!

Playing Bayonetta on tough difficulties is amazing and a pure test of skill.

Master of the Hype Train

CaviarMeths

Blast wrote:

Uhhh... Bayonetta 1 & 2 has the best combat in gaming. Not the overrated Batman games.

There are many modern action games with great combat, but none of them are mainstream in the way that Zelda, God of War, or Batman are. Devil May Cry is probably the highest profile action game series with deep, rewarding combat.

So, so good. Not that Zelda needs or should have combat like that.

Speaking of Itsuno PS3 games, Dragon's Dogma is one that would really benefit from a remaster on current gen consoles, and that may be in the works already with the PC port hitting in January. Great game, but performance limited by its hardware.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

I blame mainly western developers. It's like all of western culture took one look at a samurai sword, said "Whelp, we can't top that," and proceeded to create guns forever. The same principal applies to their games (with a few exceptions like Ninja Theory).

I just like games where movement and attack movement is consistent and predictable so that positioning can is a part of your strategy. Also, I like having immediate control over my character in that the animations don't run too long, causing me to feel detached from my character (Far Cry). The only variable / contextual animation I love in Zelda is the roll attack in Wind Waker / Twilight Princess that allows you to turn mid-roll.

The Wind Waker's rolling counter, though, was too randomly automatic for a Zelda game. It being made an immediate, trigger-able ability in Twilight Princess made it feel 300% better to me. Contextual counter moves can get lost in da woods.

Edited on by Eel

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CaviarMeths

I would definitely generalize that Japanese developers are better at melee combat while Western developers are better at gunplay (with a few exceptions), but that's more just culture, sensibilities, and what consumers want more than whatever else.

Sort of on that topic, The Order 1886 is on sale on PSN for $20 right now and I'm sort of tempted to pick it up just because I've heard that the feel of the gunplay is very satisfying, even though the game itself is pretty weak overall. $20 is still a little too high for impulse purchase territory though. Will be busy for the next 57 days with FFXIV anyway (which has 10 year old WoW combat, while we're on that subject, but I'll forgive it because it's a super cool game).

Edited on by Eel

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic