Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 3,181 to 3,200 of 15,210

Haru17

Octane wrote:

After Dragon Roost Island you're free to go wherever you want, the game only directs you towards your next destination; Forest Haven.

You do not know what you are talking about. Just try sailing into an ocean square not in the path from Windfall to Forest Haven.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

DefHalan

I have never seen these "invisible walls"... where are they?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Eel

They're.... Invisible.

After dragoon roost island you must go south to forest heaven, the boat won't let you go to other blocks outside of that route, except maybe back to windfall island.

Of course, you can visit the islands on the way there.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DefHalan

Morpheel wrote:

They're.... Invisible.

That was the joke.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

Haru17 wrote:

Octane wrote:

After Dragon Roost Island you're free to go wherever you want, the game only directs you towards your next destination; Forest Haven.

You do not know what you are talking about. Just try sailing into an ocean square not in the path from Windfall to Forest Haven.

Are you sure? I could've sworn that that was possible. If not, I stand corrected.

Octane

Yoshi

I believe you have complete freedom after the Forest Haven. After Dragon Roost, you are allowed to go back to Windfall, but trying to sail to any square not in the path from Windfall and Dragon Roost and Dragon Roost to Forest Haven is a no-go.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Eel

Yeah after the second temple the game still tells you directly where to go and pressures you to do that, but you can explore as much as you want.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

Yeah after the second temple the game still tells you directly where to go and pressures you to do that, but you can explore as much as you want.

Hmm. I never tried that because of the whole eternal night thing. I just assumed that part had invisible walls too.

Dezzy

It's hardly a massive loss in Wind Waker. Those main 4 islands are the only remotely interesting places in the game. After that it's just clone wooden towers and small islands with rocks on them (oh and that guy with the telescope who makes the noise of asian tourists)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

It's hardly a massive loss in Wind Waker. Those main 4 islands are the only remotely interesting places in the game. After that it's just clone wooden towers and small islands with rocks on them (oh and that guy with the telescope who makes the noise of asian tourists)

I wouldn't be that harsh; there are certainly a lot of interesting nooks and crannies. It's just that the total content seems a bit thinner than what comparable Zelda games provide.

erv

I'm a huge fan of wind waker. There's not so many invisible walls in there at all. In fact, there's a lot of things you can do without being zelda-ready for it, like warp into the closed fairy island before your time.

I don't consider the sea to be that empty at all, there's lots to discover. A few bigger and sizeable islands would have really sweetened the package, but it's already great.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Blast

Wind Waker is great. Only bad thing was some of the puzzles were really dumb and tedious. Everything about the last boss fight was amazing. Ganondorf really shined. He wasn't behaving like Bowser for once.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

cookiex

Wind Waker is close to being the best Zelda game 90% of the time.

The other 10% is the Triforce quest.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Haru17

Kinan wrote:

And what of figuring out how to get into the cabana? And the islands with the hidden caves on them? I don't agree that Windwaker was less of a Zelda game, or feels empty. If you look at even A Link to the Past. There's the dungeons, Kakariko Village, your house, Hyrule Castle and perhaps the Lost Woods that are of any interest. Windwaker, comparatively is a giant ocean. It makes sense that it feels empty compared to the smaller total area of other Zelda games.

I don't doubt that Wind Waker is a much more fleshed out game than ALttP, but ALttP was on the SNES, lol.

CaviarMeths

ALttP was huge for a mid-gen SNES game. But yeah. 1993.

Some of the late-gen SNES games are still fairly big by modern standards though, like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Seiken Densetsu 3.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Yoshi

SpookyMeths wrote:

ALttP was huge for a mid-gen SNES game. But yeah. 1993.

I have to interject here. LttP was released In April 1992, not even a single year after the SNES launched (in North America).

Edited on by Yoshi

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Haru17

SpookyMeths wrote:

Some of the late-gen SNES games are still fairly big by modern standards though, like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Seiken Densetsu 3.

I'm not talking size here. Wind Waker, if anything, was a cautionary tale about the virtues of size (that the rest of the AAA industry promptly ignored). I'm talking mostly about just the gameplay mechanics and level design. Also, ALttP has a top-down perspective. UGH

Haru17

It should be noted that people hold Zelda games to a higher standard of criticism precisely because they so infuriatingly close to perfection that any flaw shines like a stain on white fabric.

I was just looking at the Hideki Kamiya's tweets (you know, the Zelda fan who made a legit great fan game) and he's the exact same way; absolutely infatuated with the games and critical of them with equal passion.

The point being that even if Wind Waker if a flawed or lesser favorite Zelda game of someone's, it's still a Zelda game.

That said, I do legit hate games that force me to stare down at the dirt for their entire runtime

Edited on by Haru17

Octane

Haru17 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

I'm not talking size here. Wind Waker, if anything, was a cautionary tale about the virtues of size (that the rest of the AAA industry promptly ignored). I'm talking mostly about just the gameplay mechanics and level design. Also, ALttP has a top-down perspective. UGH

Don't forget game physics. Wind Waker was definitely ahead of its time in that aspect. The way Link's feet adjusted to the difference in floor elevation; steps, slopes and such. There's plenty of games today that have characters clip through floors. There was procedural animation present in the games as well, and don't forget about all the interactable objects. The way you could pick up and use your enemy's weapon was another touch of detail that made it a little more believable, and the way those weapons interacted with the surroundings when thrown. I even recall that you can blow away the feathers of the Helmaroc King with your Deku Leaf, the feathers that are left after you defeat the boss. It's a little detail that I discovered a couple of years ago. It's something that you don't think about doing, but they went and programmed that in the game, despite knowing that most people would never know about this. There's plenty of stuff like that in other Nintendo games, but I think that Wind Waker is definitely one of the more polished games.

Octane

Haru17

Octane wrote:

I even recall that you can blow away the feathers of the Helmaroc King with your Deku Leaf, the feathers that are left after you defeat the boss. It's a little detail that I discovered a couple of years ago. It's something that you don't think about doing, but they went and programmed that in the game, despite knowing that most people would never know about this.

The boss rains down feathers when you kill it regardless of what weapon you used.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic