Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 2,661 to 2,680 of 15,210

CaviarMeths

arronishere wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

What in particular is wrong or offensive about the Gerudo?

They are a race of powerful independent single women ruled by a man because he's a man and they aren't. SEXIST!!!

I might consider it sexist if it was presented positively and the Gerudo women were fine with that system. They clearly aren't though. The whole plot surrounding the Spirit Temple is assisting Ganondorf's lieutenant in a coup that would have him overthrown and ultimately sealed forever or killed. Nabooru feels that what's best for her people is for Ganondorf to be dead, and the rest of the Gerudo seem willing to go along with that.

Yeah, they're a race of women ruled by a man just because he's a man, but this system is presented as wrong within the context of the game itself.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

iKhan

CaviarMeths wrote:

Arab stereotype

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Arab stereotype

What do you mean? They're both desert-dwelling people with dark complexion, but beyond that, I'm not really seeing any similarities in their cultures.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

rallydefault

CaviarMeths wrote:

Absolutely nothing. It's just this ultra-sensitive trend in the past few years of looking WAY too deeply into every gosh-darned thing and coming to conclusions that were never even real beforehand. Nowadays, people can find offense in every. single. thing.

It's disgusting.

rallydefault

Jacob717

@rallydefault: Exactly. Someone said Mario Maker was racist, because the hand on the screen was white.

Jacob717

jump

rallydefault wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Absolutely nothing. It's just this ultra-sensitive trend in the past few years of looking WAY too deeply into every gosh-darned thing and coming to conclusions that were never even real beforehand. Nowadays, people can find offense in every. single. thing.

It's disgusting.

Nowadays? People have been complaining since the start of time.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

iKhan

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Arab stereotype

What do you mean? They're both desert-dwelling people with dark complexion, but beyond that, I'm not really seeing any similarities in their cultures.

The type of dress, "belly dancer" look, and their original symbol was a star and crescent.

That's not to say it's an actual similarity. It's a stereotype, just like Aladdin (though MUCH less racist). I personally don't think Nintendo did anything super offensive, but they did use Arab stereotypes, so some may find it offensive.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

-Green-

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Arab stereotype

The type of dress, "belly dancer" look, and their original symbol was a star and crescent.

That's not to say it's an actual similarity. It's a stereotype, just like Aladdin (though MUCH less racist). I personally don't think Nintendo did anything super offensive, but they did use Arab stereotypes, so some may find it offensive.

Honestly, people will find anything offensive nowadays.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

TuVictus

Maybe it's inspired by desert-like people because they live in the desert. Should they all be white and wear pants suits to avoid being "racist"? It makes sense in the context of the game, I would hardly call it anything near offensive.

TuVictus

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

Ah. So it's one of those things were people get 2nd hand offended, offended on behalf of someone else who they think should be offended.

For the record, I hope nobody feels the need to get offended about the Nord race in Elder Scrolls on my behalf. I realize the race is based on Scandinavian stereotypes, but really, I'm OK with it.

rallydefault

arronishere wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

It's disgusting.

Nowadays? People have been complaining since the start of time.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I definitely don't disagree, but the age of social networking has made it that much more accessible and all too unbearable. It's now a few simple clicks for any old Joe to log into Twitter and shriek that the latest Thor movie was racist against Norwegians. And within hours, that "old Joe" will have thousands of people parroting the same inane nonsense.

@CaviarMeths
Lol, I actually came up with my example before I saw your comment! Hilarious.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Arab stereotype

Some people find everything offensive if possible, so I fail to see the point.

I mean, you're not wrong exactly but this might also be why this non-white fictional race mostly vanished after this, so **** those people.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

Oh joy, the Zelda miiverse community has devolved into a conversation about Minecraft!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

-Green-

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Oh joy, the Zelda miiverse community has devolved into a conversation about Minecraft!

O.o How? What does Minecraft have to do with Zelda? lol

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Grumblevolcano

Aromaiden wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

O.o How? What does Minecraft have to do with Zelda? lol

The only link I can think of is both Zelda U and Minecraft are games that Nintendo fans desperately want.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Is that better or worse than the Gerudo are racist?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

kkslider5552000

arronishere wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Is that better or worse than the Gerudo are racist?

Better, if only because I doubt most people on this video game message board are qualified to say anything of value of the other topic.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Ah. So it's one of those things were people get 2nd hand offended, offended on behalf of someone else who they think should be offended.

For the record, I hope nobody feels the need to get offended about the Nord race in Elder Scrolls on my behalf. I realize the race is based on Scandinavian stereotypes, but really, I'm OK with it.

The way I see it, something is offensive not when stereotypes are used, but when stereotypes are used to portray a culture in a negative light. Ocarina of Time doesn't really do that, so I think it's in the right.

jump

iKhan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

iKhan wrote:

The way I see it, something is offensive not when stereotypes are used, but when stereotypes are used to portray a culture in a negative light. Ocarina of Time doesn't really do that, so I think it's in the right.

At least get why steroetypes are bad, it's because they take away individuality and projecting your expectations on them/it. What you're talking about of negative portrayals of race/cultures/ethnicity is just good 'ol fashioned racism.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic