Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 15,210

erv

I'm for a playable ganondorf making the world darker, and a playable link making the world lighter. Infinite playtime by changing the lands dynamic all the time.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

grumblebuzzz

@Tsurii: I don't think it takes place soon after Skyward Sword, but maybe the generation after. Building empires takes time. You start out with campsites and work your way up.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

Grumblevolcano

@grumblebuzzz: And then the mobile game connects the two games by having an Age of Empires/Halo Wars feel to it.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

-Green-

I wonder what fans will think of the game when it comes out, and how they will react to it, assuming it comes out to be of good quality like Zelda games usually do. I find the LoZ fanbase to be one of the weirdest and most divided yet diverse fan bases I've ever seen. Unlike most other fanbases, they tend to be all over the place of what they consider a Zelda game and what they want.

I kind of hope what happened with Skyward Sword in the fanbase doesn't happen with this game too.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

rallydefault

@Aromaiden: I'll admit, I abandoned Nintendo during the Wii, so I have no idea what happened with "Skyward Sword in the fanbase." Were people divided on the game or something? I went back and played it last year, and I enjoyed it - not my favorite, for sure, but it was fun. I didn't really spend time to 100% it, though, as using the Wiimote as a controller makes me want to vomit.

Anyway, I agree that it will be VERY interesting to see how this game is received if it turns out to be amazing. Ocarina of Time is still considered, by SOME, to be the best console game of all time (I think other games can certainly challenge for that title, but OoT is truly an accomplishment for, well, all time! ha!), and if this new one turns out to even be approaching OoT greatness, it will be VERY intresting to see how people react, especially the stalwart "I ONLY own PS4/Xbox" people. Because Zelda, along with only a few other Nintendo titles, is a series that still has respect from the "hardcore" crowd (I know, silly titles, but just using that to speed this along).

rallydefault

-Green-

@rallydefault: The Zelda fanbase or at least parts of it,has a tendency to shift between what games in the franchise they dislike and like. In all actuality they kind of just of shift from one game to another. For example, originally people hated WW but then after a while moved on to TP and started hating that game, and because of the shift in attention, the over all view on WW became more positive. Then from that point they kind of just kept on shifting down the line of Zelda games and I believe at the moment, they are now on SS since it is the last major main series Zelda game.

In reality, it's usually just groups of people moving on from one game to the other, its kind of weird how the fanbase does that. So I wouldn't be surprised that when the new one comes out, all the negativity on SS shifts to it, and SS isn't as openly disliked. Coincidentally it's like an endless cycle.

CaviarMeths

The fanbase is certainly divided on all things Zelda. This thread is 131 pages long and about 100 of those are arguing over which games are good, great, OK, or even "real" Zelda games.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Nicolai

grumblebuzzz wrote:

@whodatninja: Ghirahim was okay, but I found him hard to take seriously. I was never "scared" of Ghirahim, whereas when I was younger and played OoT, Ganondorf terrified me.

Not me. I was 6 when Ocarina of Time was released, and I laughed at Ganondorf's big ol' ears, and his pig-like build at the end. Same with Majora's Mask's moon's big ol' nose. And to think I was more terrified of things like roller coasters and bumblebees, lol.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

CM30

They'll react to it to like they do every Zelda game. Some will adore it and think it's the best game ever. Some will think the series is ruined forever. You could literally release the world's best, most utterly perfect, most mass appeal Zelda game ever... and people will still act like that.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Haru17

erv wrote:

That gorgeous art style shows our eyeballs some love, and we'll be playing the most revolutionary zelda in decades, and link opens his mouth...

...and he sounds like toad.

EPONA DO A BARRELL ROLL!!!

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

iKhan wrote:

Can we go back to talking about what we want the actual game to be rather that what console it should come out on?

I really hope they are working on making the combat more interesting. Something like the Hidden Skills would be nice.

They should go the Monster Hunter route and make the roll a long, but still alterable mid-course, animation that you have to commit to, not just spam like you're clicking your action bar in WoW or Xenoblade. That and difficulty options could make the combat a lot more fun. Basically all they need to do is have the responsive controls and satisfying audio/visual feedback of Twilight Princess with difficulty options to perfect the combat system (it's pretty close already.)

Also, if they reintroduce Ganon in the year 2016 he has to have a real character, not a backstory (Demise), but an actual relatable character and motivations. Bonus points if he has a relationship with Link other than 'kill hero / get killed by hero.'

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

Whatever happens to Zelda combat, I think some key mechanics need to be retained. Chiefly, the simplicity in button presses and contextual actions. One button for guarding, one for basic attacks, one action button, and a target lock to bring it all together. That's a Zelda convention to keep.

If they can achieve a greater level of complexity and while retaining those mechanics, then I'll be for it. The added complexity in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess combat was still all mapped to the contextual action button. Challenge comes from encounter design and enemy AI. It shouldn't be harder to control Link, ever. Zelda needs smarter enemies, not more complicated rolling maneuvers.

I think one of the keys to brilliant gameplay is simplicity in mechanics. This is as true for Tetris as it is for Zelda.

IMO, of course. I think one of the most recognizable (and important) pieces of the Zelda DNA is to be simple and intuitive to move and fight. Throw all the mind-bending puzzles at me as you can though, Mr. Aonuma. Other than the Ice Temple, Link Between Worlds was a little too easy in that regard.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

It shouldn't be harder to control Link, ever. Zelda needs smarter enemies, not more complicated rolling maneuvers.

I don't think you understood my post... By my calculations pressing A to roll once is easier than pressing A thrice to roll 3 times in the same span of time. Do you enjoy spamming the roll button? It's not particularly fun to me, as it doesn't work as well as in Donkey Kong Country. I'd rather the roll just go further upon a single button press; a tactical evasion instead of a speedrunner strat.

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

It shouldn't be harder to control Link, ever. Zelda needs smarter enemies, not more complicated rolling maneuvers.

I don't think you understood my post... By my calculations pressing A to roll once is easier than pressing A thrice to roll 3 times in the same span of time. Do you enjoy spamming the roll button? It's not particularly fun to me, as it doesn't work as well as in Donkey Kong Country. I'd rather the roll just go further upon a single button press; a tactical evasion instead of a speedrunner strat.

Rolls could be more tactical, but I think the quickness of Link's rolls and hops is important in making him feel more agile.

Do you not use the A button in Zelda combat? You should. It feels pretty rad.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Rolls could be more tactical, but I think the quickness of Link's rolls and hops is important in making him feel more agile.

Do you not use the A button in Zelda combat? You should. It feels pretty rad.

The quick rolls are nice. I still think they should be slightly slower and slightly longer, though. Rolling is fine in Zelda, but it looks rather silly to summersault 7 or so times just to dodge one attack. It's not particularly skillful either, just button masking and holding the same direction.

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

I think you and I press buttons very differently.

CM30

Either way, the point about more complex enemies behaviours is a good one. We need enemies which are not only smarter with more varied attacks, but also that happen to be a bit more aggressive than the ones in recent Zelda titles. Less defensive if you will.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Blast

The closest I'm ever gonna get to a action packed Zelda experience that I want is in Bayonetta 2 where Bayonetta wears a Legend of Zelda costume. And yeah... I played Hyrule Warriors. I loved that game but it had problems.
But I do have one suggestion...
How about we give Link a second sword or something? Just ANYTHING to keep things tense and fun and new. Wind Waker's combat was pretty but extremely boring at the same time. It WASN'T flashy at all. Just pretty and it was pretty because of the art style of the game.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

-Green-

@Blast: I don't know. Link's always been shown as a classic knight with a Shield and Sword and is most recognizable by the Hylian Shield with the Master Sword. It would be interesting if they added more weapon options and if they made the fights more flashy, but would it really match the LoZ world? I think it might, but they would have to pretty careful in order to make sure it matches the world, but now that I think about, the trailer did show some very flashy and beautiful scenes with the huge machine and the awesome bow. So it's a possibility I suppose.

SaiyanGamer69

Sorry to steer away from the combat talk. I don't know if that much has been revealed about the story or the characters that will appear in the game but how do people feel about the Sheikah tribe having some part to play in the game?

I imagine most people would feel indefferent towards their presence in the story; not really caring if they're in it but if they are, it would be okay.

I for one have always loved the mystery behind the Sheikah tribe and would love for them to be a part if not a bigger part in this game. Maybe introduce more characters that belong to the game and possibly show off some more of their abilities. Make them a little more ninja like by showing us what they can do in combat. As far as I can tell, I've only ever seen Sheikah fight in Smash and Hyrule Warriors which seems a shame that we haven't seen them in action in the actual game franchise they originate from.

One in a deep forest...
One on a high mountain...
One under a vast lake...
One within the house of the dead...
One inside a goddess of the sand...

Nintendo Network ID: SaiyanGamer69

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic